Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,269 Words
  • 4,990 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Frontier - 4. FR Chapter 4

Sometime during the night, I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing and vibrating. It took me a few moments to realise that it was the yacht alarm. I shot out of bed like a flash and quickly dressed. A light knock on my cabin door made me jump with fright.

“Anton, we have some intruders. I have rung Jasper. He is on his way,” I heard Simon say softly through the door. I turned off my light before I opened the door.

“You nearly gave me a heart attack! Does your grandfather know?” I replied.

“Oh sorry, yes. I told him. He told me to ring Jasper, and to let you know and for both of us to stay out of sight till Jasper arrives,” Simon whispered, as he came into my cabin and sat down on the lounge chair, while I sat on my bed.


Suddenly I saw a shadowy figure on the bow of the main deck, attempting to get into a storage hatch. When he failed that he started to unlock the bindings to the dinghy. I was not sure what to do, when I saw a vehicle appear in the carpark of the marina. The person on the bow of the yacht, seeing the vehicle, jumped onto the jetty and ran away. We heard noise on the aft of the main deck, and then there was silence.

We waited for about ten minutes, before there was a knock on the saloon door.

“It’s Jasper here,” came a voice, and Simon raced out of my cabin and unlocked the saloon door to let Jasper in, as I wandered into the saloon and sat down.

“It appears not to be locals. I did not recognise those that ran away, and they looked like adults and not local teenagers,” Jasper said to me.

After a few minutes of discussion, Jasper said goodnight and after checking that there was no damage, we closed and locked up the yacht and set the alarm once again, and went to bed. About an hour later, I woke up to the sound of the loud alarm blaring through the PA speakers, and I heard a few footsteps before there was just the noise of the alarm. I turned off the alarm and stepped out of my cabin, turning all the lights on, as I stepped into the living area.

A few minutes later, as Simon and I were looking around the catamaran, Jasper arrived in the police vehicle with lights flashing. He came on board just as I was coming down from the fly bridge.

“I’m not sure why you are being targeted twice in one night. I am suspecting that because you are the only new catamaran in the marina, that these thieves must be looking for anything that is of value,” Jasper said to me.

“I think you might be right. There are signs of attempted removal of the GPS and the navigation display screen,” I said to Jasper. Suddenly my phone rang, and the caller ID read “Skipper” on the screen.

“Hello” I said cautiously.

“Hello, Anton. I hear you have been having some trouble about an hour ago,” the skipper said.

“Not just then, but just a few minutes ago, as well. Jasper is here again,” I said with a frown.

“Anton, has there been any damage?” the skipper asked.

“Some minor damage, with attempts to remove stuff from the fly bridge, but it all still works,” I responded.

“I wouldn’t usually allow this, but because of what has happened, I am going to suggest that you take the catamaran to the location where we had lunch yesterday. Anchor at the same location. There is enough moonlight to make it easy to see fairly well, and if you follow the tracking path from yesterday’s trip, you shouldn’t have any troubles,” the skipper said.

“Are you sure about this, skipper?” I asked cautiously.

“Yes, I am, and I have already spoken to Jasper about this. He agrees with this idea. Do you have enough food for a few days, till I come back into town on Friday?” the skipper asked.

“Yes we do, and if need be we can use the dinghy to come and get some more food,” I said.

“I suggest that you have one of you, remain on the catamaran at all times. Take care and I will see you boys on Friday,” the skipper said to me.

“Very well. See you then. Bye,” I said as I ended the call.

After Jasper talked to us for a little while, Simon got to work to untie the mooring ropes, and went up to the fly bridge to start the engines. We quietly motored our way out of the marina, and I followed the tracking path that we had taken the previous day.

Twenty minutes later, we arrived at the island, and we set the anchors forward and aft. Once done, we returned to our cabins to get some sleep. When I woke up in the morning, it was well after 8am, and after a shower and changing, I headed into the saloon and galley to have some breakfast. Simon appeared a few minutes later, and we sat down at the counter to have some breakfast. We chatted about what had happened last night.

After breakfast and cleaning up, I grabbed the small tool kit from one of the lockers, and I headed up to the fly bridge, to make the minor repairs to the equipment, replacing some screws that had been loosened by the attempted yanking out of the electronics. Once I had completed this, I grabbed the binoculars from the drawer, and did a scan of the waters all around us. I was alarmed to see that there was an aluminium dinghy just off the mainland, that appeared to be heading our way.

“Simon, pull up the anchors. We have some uninvited visitors coming. Call your cousin as well,” I shouted down the stairs, as I started up the engines and moved the catamaran forward a little to loosen the tension on the anchors. Once they were up, I backed the catamaran away from the island before turning north-west and pushing the engines into full speed. Once I had cleared the reefs just north of the island, I pulled out my mobile and called the skipper.

“We have a small aluminium dinghy heading our way. Simon is contacting Jasper, and we have headed out to sea,” I said as soon as the phone was answered.

“Very well then. Head south, and I will meet you on the beach at the next town in just over two hours,” the skipper said and he hung up the phone. Just then Simon appeared with the phone still to his ear. Then he handed the phone to me.

“It appears that your father is a lot more resourceful than we expected. A car registered to him is parked at the shopping centre, and an aluminium dinghy has just been reported stolen from one of the fishing boats,” Jasper said to me over the phone.

“I have spoken to Simon’s grandad. He is meeting us at the next town south of here in just over two hours,” I said to Jasper.

“Anton, do you think you can handle rough seas?” Jasper asked me.

“Um, well, I haven’t really had much experience at all, but I think I can cope. Why do you ask?” I said to Jasper.

“I will speak to Uncle Isaac in a few minutes, to let him know of the change of plan. Go in a due west direction, so you are going out to sea, till you are ten nautical miles out. Then change direction to north by north west, for just over 140 nautical miles, till you get too 28°26'20.6"S 113°44'11.6"E. Look at your navigation console at those coordinates. Look for the airfield, and you will see where your destination is. Uncle Isaac and I will meet you there. Bye for now,” Jasper said and he ended the call.

I stared at the phone for a few moments, before giving it back to Simon. After explaining to him what was happening, I turned the catamaran due west.

“Raise the main sail and jib please Simon. We have a long journey ahead of us,” I said, as I looked at the coordinates that I had scribbled down, that Jasper gave me. I entered them into the navigation console, and it came up with East Wallabi Island, which is part of the Abrolhos Islands Group. Once Simon had the main sail and jib up, and we were travelling at about 16 knots due west, I looked at the time. It was just after 9am, and after a bit of quick mental arithmetic, I estimated that it would take us about 11 hours at an average of about 14 knots to get to East Wallabi Island, which means an estimated time of arrival at about 8 pm tonight.

I looked at the navigation console, to see what islands and reefs were near the islands, and I did not like what I saw on the display. There were lots of reefs, rocky outcrops and small islands, scattered over a large area, and we would be arriving well after dark.

Simon appeared beside me, as I was looking at the console.

“Where is that? Is that our destination?” Simon asked me.

“Yes, it is. It is the Abrolhos Islands just north west of Geraldton,” I replied.

“Wow, that is quite a way to travel. Is that where Jasper suggested we go,” Simon said to me.

“Yep, and I have all these rocks and reefs to deal with when we get there and at night too,” I said to my friend, still not happy about the situation.

After ten nautical miles, I changed the direction north west, hoping that I was far enough out to sea, to not be seen changing direction. We had a good strong wind and reasonable seas, and a slight swell, which was similar to what I had when at the helm late yesterday, but we were only 5 nautical miles out to sea then, and I had the skipper watching me. Now I was alone with Simon with very little experience, and a lot further out at sea. It all made me very nervous.

I managed to get Simon to take the helm for a few minutes, while I went to the bathroom, and grabbed my spray jacket and pants, and a cup of tea. We had been at sea for just under two hours, and I was starting to relax a little, as I concentrated on skippering the catamaran, while we moved further away from the mainland. I jumped with fright, when my mobile began ringing.

“I’m glad we can still reach you. What is your location and heading?” the skipper asked as soon as I answered the call. I told him that I had changed direction after just ten nautical miles, and that we were about 14 nautical miles from when we changed course at 15 knots.

“Good. You are making good time. We are amending your destination, as we think the previous location may be too tricky for you. So stay on your current course for 1 more nautical mile, then change to due north for 52 nautical miles, before heading north east for 10 nautical miles. Your new destination is at 29°16'18.6"S, 114°55'11.1"E. We will see you there. Bye for now,” the skipper said, and he ended the call. I estimated that the new destination would take about 5 hours to reach, which I felt a lot happier about.

I entered the coordinates into the console, and I saw that our destination was a marina, in a large coastal town of Dongara, about 60 kilometres south of Geraldton. A few minutes later I changed our course again, and with the wind changing to a strong south westerly, we were able to pick up some more speed. When Simon appeared a few minutes later, I informed him of the change of destination, and that we would arrive there just before sunset, which he was also pleased about. He remained beside me for over an hour.

After lunch, which we ate on the fly bridge, Simon headed downstairs to do the cleaning up, and returned about half an hour later with a cup of tea each. We chatted as we continued our journey northwards. “I wonder if we will still be going to school in Jurien Bay, or where we are heading, which also has a district high school,” Simon said to me.

“I don’t really care, as long as I am well away from my so-called father,” I replied.

After another hour, Simon took over at the helm, while I went to the bathroom, and made myself another cup of tea, before returning to the fly bridge. Just before dusk, I could see our destination. I was so relieved to see it. I adjusted our course, and Simon headed downstairs to pull down the jib, and the main sail when I asked him.

Just as the sun was setting, we entered the Irwin marina. I started the engines, and I instructed Simon to lower the main sail. Then I spotted two people at the end of the main jetty where I was headed. Seeing Simon’s grandfather and Jasper standing on the jetty, we manoeuvred to the bay that Jasper indicated, and Simon threw out the mooring ropes. We were soon secured to the jetty.

Once I shut down the engines, I headed downstairs, where the skipper and Jasper had boarded. They were seated in the saloon with Simon.

“I have some more information, regarding your father,” Jasper said to me as soon as I sat down. “He is an associate member of a bikie gang, and this is why he was able to gather information regarding your location. It is also possible that his connections with the gang have something to do with the disappearance of your grandfather, Marcus, and your mother, Suzanne.

“There is now an official investigation happening. Your father is now wanted for questioning,” Jasper said to me.

It took me some time to absorb all of this new information. Eventually I looked up to Jasper.

“All I remember, was that I fell asleep listening to my parents arguing, and in the morning my father informed me that she had left, and would not be coming back. When my grandfather didn’t come to collect me for our weekly fishing trip, my father said he had no idea where my grandfather was,” I said as tears filled my eyes.

Simon shuffled over to me and put an arm around me in comfort and support, and I started to cry. Everything had suddenly become too much. Simon’s uncle added his praise as a comfort.

“Well done, with the skippering of the yacht at sea. I will make sure that your time is entered into your log book. I have something here for you, that will be of benefit to you,” the skipper said to me with a smile, as he handed me a small package.

“Anton, I have taken my three weeks leave a few months early, effective yesterday morning, so I am here to support you in any way. I also have sailing experience, on 30 to 50 metre racing yachts,” Jasper said to me.

I opened the package, to find a brand-new satellite phone inside, which I looked at carefully.

“It is activated, and ready to go, and it already has Jasper’s and my mobile numbers added to it. Jasper and I have decided what is the best option to stay clear of your father, so once we have restocked you with food, water, and emptied your waste, you guys will set off again to a new destination. I will return home, and keep in touch with you on a regular basis,” the skipper said to us.

“Right. So, first things first. Let’s empty all galley waste, then we will empty the septic waste. Uncle Isaac and I have already done a large shopping trip for us, and it’s in his vehicle waiting. So, let’s get started. Then we can be on our way,” Jasper announced.

Within two hours, we had done all of the waste removal, and loaded up all of the supplies, including Jasper’s luggage. The skipper said goodbye to us, and with Jasper on the fly bridge, we left the marina, shortly after 9pm, and disappeared into the darkness, in a west-north westerly direction.

Once Simon and I had the main sail and jib up, we made our way up to the fly bridge.

“So, are we still heading for the Abrolhos Islands?” I asked Jasper.

“Yes, we are, but we will be stopping at Pelsaert Island, which is the southern-most island of the group, well away from the populated islands, which are 32 nautical miles to the north. We only have 43 nautical miles to go, to get to our destination, where we will stay low for 1 ½ days so we can relax, before we continue to our next destination,” Jasper said with a smile.

Simon and I kept Jasper company for about half an hour, before he suggested that we head to our cabins for some sleep, which we did. When I woke up the next morning, I noticed that the yacht was not sailing, but was gently rocking to the motion of the small waves. Once I had dressed, I went out into the saloon, and saw that the doors where closed and locked. I grabbed my mobile and disarmed the alarm system, before unlocking and opening the saloon door.

Looking around, I could see that we were anchored on the western side of a low rocky island, with plenty of reef to the north and east of us. I headed up to the fly bridge to have a better view, and I was amazed at how wonderful it looked. I headed down to the main deck, and retrieved my snorkelling gear, and headed to the swimming platform at the back of the yacht, stopping briefly to leave a note on the galley beach: “Gone Snorkelling. 6.15am.”

I lost track of time as I explored the many coral reefs around the island, and when I felt that someone was with me, I looked up to see a couple of dolphins had decided to come and visit. I chuckled as I saw them, glad that it wasn’t sharks, and I watched them as they swam and played around me, before disappearing. Soon after that, I made my way back to the catamaran, which was a good three hundred metres away.

As I climbed up onto the swimming platform, a towel appeared above me, and looking up, I saw a smiling Simon.

“You could have woken me up, so I could have joined in,” he said with a frown.

“Sorry, mate. I was caught up with how beautiful it is out here, and I just grabbed my gear & headed out,” I replied as I started to dry off.

“I see you had some friends with you. Lucky it wasn’t sharks,” Jasper said from above us, and looking up I noticed that he had the binoculars with him.

“So, where is it that we will be heading next?” I asked Jasper, once he had come down to the main deck and we stepped into the saloon.

“Tonight, we will be heading due west for a while, before we start heading north.

Copyright: June 2017. Preston Wigglesworth. All Rights Reserved
  • Like 43
  • Love 7
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow I am glad that no major damage was done,but would seem that his father is really evil. I hope that he gets cought. I can't wait for more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Father might have had a tracking device planted onboard. Sounds like an evil man.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

B)..............Great going, reminds me of a favorite on mine called 'Circumnavigation'.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I don't think Anton's father is done trying to get to him. I hope that with Jasper on board with Anton and Simon and them continually on the move it might be harder for Anton's father to find them. Great story so far I can't wait to read what happens next. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loving the story, the father sounds much like mine was... a proper b*****d:fight:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..