Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,761 Words
  • 3,698 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Outback - 7. OB Chapter 7

Finally, it all happened within a week, the passports, visas and temporary residency permits had arrived, the farm had been sold to a neighbouring farmer, and the forwarded luggage had arrived on the station. Getting to the capital of Vaduz would be a short drive followed by a train trip, which would take 4 hours, followed by a short flight to Bern in Switzerland. Bryce planned a 16-hour stopover in Bern, so as to not make it so tiring for everyone, before the long flight to Singapore and Perth, which would take 25 hours including a 5 hour stop in Singapore.

Bryce booked and paid for 1st class airline tickets to Australia, plus Platinum cabins on the train from Perth to Rawlinna Siding, on the Trans Australian Railway train known as the "Indian Pacific", that would be a 16-hour journey, leaving two days after arriving in Australia, the train will be departing Perth at 11:55am WST and arriving at Rawlinna Siding at 7.30am WST the following morning.

Bryce had already had a number of long talks with his adopted mother; she would move her belongings to the end vacant cottage, leaving Bryce to take over the homestead for the family. Natalia would have the master bedroom, Marcus would have Bryce's old bedroom, the twins would share a bedroom, and the girls would have a bedroom each and Bryce's bedroom will be the old office, once the ensuite and study extension’s had been completed.

At 1pm on a Saturday morning, the family began their long journey to a new home, Bryce had everything organised and timed departure to fit in with all the travel arrangements. A very long 49 hours later, the family finally arrived in Perth, where Bryce had them booked into a 4-star hotel, where the family rested and relaxed for the next 6 hours, before an early dinner and bedtime.

The next morning, still jet-lagged from all the travel, they had a brunch meal in their rooms, before going out to explore the city sights, including a visit to the beach, even though it was Autumn as it was still quite cool. A light afternoon snack and a visit to the zoo completed the days exploring, Bryce booked the family into the hotel restaurant for a 1st class meal, the last dinner in the city for a while, as they head into the outback in the late morning.

Breakfast the next day was at 8am, and all the bags where packed and ready by 9:45am, when the mini bus arrived to take them to the rail terminal. The luggage was all checked in, and tickets were presented to the rail stewards, and at 10:15am they were able to board and find their cabins, Natalia had her own, the girls shared a cabin, as did the twins, while Marcus shared a cabin with Bryce, the 4 cabins where all next door to each other, with individual ensuite bathrooms.

Soon after departure they went down two carriages to the lounge car for a drink before going to the adjoining dining car, where they were seated at two tables for a very nice three course lunch. Afterwards, Bryce took the three youngest three for a walk to explore the train, passing through between two or three doors at the ends of each carriage, once back in their cabins, the younger ones had a little nap, while Natalia, Bryce, Christine and Marcus went into Natalia's cabin for a talk.

Bryce explained to them that, once they are off the train, there was still a two hour drive to the homestead, with few trees, just low shrub vegetation. It may be a bit of a rough trip as it is gravel tracks most of the way. Although the 3 vehicles that will be waiting for them are air-conditioned, it is very hot and dry in the summer and warm in the winter. One vehicle would be for all the luggage and the other two for them all.

When the train stopped for the two-hour tour stopover, Bryce had them take the tour to the super pit, a giant open mining operation on the edge of Kalgoorlie, all of them were amazed at what they saw, and took lots of photos. Once back on the train, it was time for dinner, and an early night to bed. Breakfast came early, and the younger members of the family were still sleepy, as they quickly ate their breakfast and returned to their cabins to complete packing their overnight bags before they needed to departed the train.

While the younger children were doing this, Marcus commented how barren it looked. Bryce said you only need to look carefully to see that there is life all around them, and that they will get used to it eventually. Suddenly the train began to slow down; an announcement on the PA system said they were approaching Rawlinna Siding for a brief stop.

Bryce tapped on the other cabin doors, saying, this was their stop, and the family gathered at the end of the carriage hallway as the train came to a stop. Once all of the stored luggage was unloaded, as well as the family, the train continued its journey East to Sydney.

Bryce introduced Jake, Chris and Mark to the family, and he helped the station workers to load the 6 large suitcases and 6 overnight bags into the Ute and trailer, while the family split into two groups to get into the other two vehicles, which were nice and cool.

Bryce just got blank expressions from the twins and Christine, when he said to call on the two-way radio if they want to talk. Bryce just laughed and climbed into the front passenger seat of the other Ute, with Nadia and Marcus in the back. Soon after leaving the railway line heading south, Bryce grabbed the radio mike and asked if everyone was ok, after a few failed attempts to get it right, Christine replied that all were fine but it’s very bumpy.

The conversation continued on back and forth for about half an hour, before one of the twins asked how long before they reach the cattle station? Over the radio Bryce heard Chris say to them that they have been on the station for about ten minutes, but won’t get to the homestead complex for another hour and a bit, then Bas told Christine to let go of the mike button.

Bryce laughed, and asked if those in his vehicle had heard all of that, and he got nods from both passengers. Everyone in both vehicles must have dozed off to sleep, as it was as they approached the compound that Bryce grabbed the radio mike, and asked everyone to wake up and look, as they have arrived at the homestead. Once everyone had staggered out and stretched, Bryce introduced his family first to Sue, his adopted mother, whom Natalia thanked very much for taking care and bringing up their son, which made Bryce blush a bit.

Next, he introduced, Barrett, Sarah, Derrick and Betty. When Bryce wondered where Toby was, Barrett informed the boss that Toby had got badly drunk last month and crashed and destroyed one of the mustering Utes, and he was no longer employed on the station, Bryce nodded his understanding, and asked for a senior staff meeting after lunch at 1pm, in the station admin.

Looking at his watch it was 10am, Bryce asked Sarah, Sue and Barrett to show the family the inside of the homestead, while he freshens up in his living quarters, which he knew where ready, due to a text message from Barrett when they were in Kalgoorlie. Bryce had a shower in his new bathroom, and unpacked his luggage, sorting out what was clean and what needed to go to the laundry.

Once he had delivered his dirty clothes to the laundry and started the first load of many. Bryce went into the main lounge, where Natalia and Sue were chatting away, while Christine was sitting at the piano playing a little tune with Nadia sitting next to her but looking very tired. There was no sign of the three boys, and upon investigation, he found them bombed out asleep on their beds.

When he returned to the lounge, Nadia was now asleep in seated in a large chair, and Christine was reading a book she found on a table. Bryce sat opposite the two mums and said, “I am so happy you are both getting along so well, and I hope you will continue to do so.” After a brief pause, Bryce stated “I don’t want to see either of you doing any kitchen or main house duties in the homestead, as I have staff to do that for us, I want you both to just relax and both enjoy retirement. Maybe you two could help out with hospitality hosting when the RFDS crews visit?”

“That would be good, son,” Natalia replied while Sue nodded. “Son,” looking at Bas, Sue said “I have a suggestion, we,” pointing to Natalia and herself, “we could both help to run the school with Sarah, now that there are 5 extra students, with 9 students in total. We could split it into two classes, 4 youngest in one class and 5 oldest in another. What do you think?”

Bas thought for a moment, “I we should run it by Sarah, but it sounds like a good plan to me. And a new school should be built so there are better facilities for all. We’ll check with Sarah, then I can order two transportable classrooms delivered within two weeks.”

After a wonderful lunch, Bryce asked Christine to mind her brothers and sisters as he wants their mother to attend the staff meeting. He asked her to keep them in the homestead and not, let them wander off. If any problems just call on the two-way radio like the one in the vehicle, there is one in the school and another in the homestead kitchen.

Sue, Sarah and Natalia jumped into one Ute while Bryce and Barrett were in the other, and they made their way over to the admin office at the village a few kilometres away. Once everyone was seated, Bryce informed everyone that before he left for Europe, that he had purchased the four stations near them; the stations just south and east, plus the two south-easts.

Bryce said that he has now reorganised the company. Now to be known as Murchison Pastoral Investments, with 3 senior Directors, Bryce as Managing Director and 65% shareholder, Sue Silverton as a Director with 15% shares and Natalia as a Director with 10% shares with Barrett and Sarah as Shareholder's having 5% shares each.

The total land holding is 6.4 million acres, with three good operating homestead complexes and two that are badly rundown. What he was proposing is that the Alson family moves over to Arubiddy Station, as managers of that station and neighbouring Moonera station, while Depot and Lochabar are combined with Pondana.

The senior station hand at Arubiddy could be the caretaker of Moonera, under Barrett's directions, all other station staff have not decided if they will stay or not, only the station managers of Arubiddy & Moonera decided to leave with the past owners so far. Bryce asked Barrett and Sarah if they wanted to take on this new challenge, both looked at each other, then simultaneously said yes.

Bryce smiled, handing them a folder, telling them that it is an assessment report of the two stations, with details of all stock and machinery and the condition they are in. He asked if they could prepare to move as soon as possible, and let him know what the needed to help with the move.

Bryce asked for a monthly Directors meeting, which would alternate locations as much as possible, or via video link when it is getting too busy on the properties. He asked if anyone had any questions. When all remained quiet he called an end to the meeting, and asked Barrett to remain.

Picking up the radio mike, called Jake, Chris and Mark to report to the admin office ASAP. Within ten minutes the three brothers arrived in one vehicle, before they arrived Bryce asked if he would like any of the three brothers over on his stations, and Barrett’s reply was all of them if he could. When they were all seated, Bryce noticed them all nervously wondering what’s wrong, Barrett laughed and told them to relax, once they had done so, Barrett asked them if the opportunity came to work on another station would they be interested?

The three brothers looked at Bryce who just smiled, then to Barrett, still confused with the unexpected question. Bryce laughed this time, and informed them that the family company now owns the two stations to the east and southeast of Pondana. Barrett would be taking over managing them both, and there are positions available, with chances to move between the stations, on one condition that there are no more long walkabouts, only annual leave like everyone else on the stations.

All three agreed to the new challenge, Barrett told them that he would go over first, and settle in plus sort out the staff currently there, those wanting to stay will be sent over to Pondana for a few months to get them settled into a new company structure, once that’s done the three brothers would come over to Arubiddy.

Bryce told them to return to work. After they had gone, Bryce made some tea for him and Barrett. Sitting down, he asked for a report on what’s happened since he has been away overseas. After a few hours of discussions, Bryce and Barrett reappeared at the homestead, where Derrick had some tea and freshly made cake ready. Bryce suggested having a video link setup between the two stations, not only for conferences, but also for schooling, so Justin and Mary will not miss their friends too much; Sarah was pleased with that announcement, as she was a bit worried about the schooling at the new homestead.

Barrett said the three brothers would join them at Arubiddy later, once staffing numbers had been sorted over there. The Arubiddy staff would be sent over here to Pondana to get them trained the right way. Bryce added that the school would move to the village, to be easier for meetings, where there is more room. Also, Bryce would move back to the village and Sue can move into the old school cottage once it has relocated, to allow closer access to the homestead.

This will leave the staff cottage free in case of any married staff that may stay on at Arubiddy, and Bryce's current room can be a guest bedroom, or maybe Marcus can have it so the twins can have a room each. He added that he and Barrett would probably travel over to Arubiddy tomorrow for a few days to assess what needs to be done, as the current manager is leaving at the end of the week.

Derrick announced two sittings for dinner. Staff, and staff children first and the boss and family second sitting, everyone agreed to this and went off to do their own things. Bryce remained seated along with mum Natalia, and he asked her how she was settling in. Natalia said she still could not get over how big the station was, and even more surprised with his announcement about the directorship and shares. Once dinner was over, the younger three siblings asked for a bedtime story from their big brother, Bryce agreed to a short story as he had a very early start in the morning with station business.

The next morning at dawn - just after 5am, both men were on their way to Arubiddy station via the highway; it was the longer way but a lot quicker in travel time. Firstly 72 km of gravel, then 95km of highway followed by another 40kms of gravel, in total about 3 hours and 45 minutes of driving, passing both Caiguna and Cocklebiddy Roadhouses. Just before 9am they arrived at Arubiddy Homestead un-announced.

Barrett and Bryce walked up to the out-going manager, who was busy packing his vehicle and trailer. Bryce started “Hi, my name is Bryce Silverton and this is Barrett Alson,” frowning at the items being loaded. “What?” the out-going manager sneered, “The previous owner owners said that I could take all I wanted.”

Janurary 2016 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 34
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Bas has amplified the responsibility and workload on himself much more, especially considering he is sending Barret to manage another station. With this large of an operation, more use of light aircraft would seem useful in managing it all. Some better connecting roads would prove useful as well.

 

Bas and Barret were left in a sticky and uncertain situation with this surly station manager. They are is a place where allegiances aren't sure.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

B)..............Always pleasant to meet outgoing staff even as circumstances are beyond your control. However, didn't the contract in the sale claim all property included in sale (equipment, stock, machinery etc.)  Will Bryce and Barrett be able to reel his out-going station master in, or will the law need to be called in? I hope Bryce's family can acclimate quite a change from a seasonal green scenery to a small populated desolate desert ranch.  Great Chapter!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Drp

better connecting roads are not always possible in the Australian outback, alot of them get damaged by storms, wildlife and being used by heavy vehicles.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
12 hours ago, quokka said:

Drp

better connecting roads are not always possible in the Australian outback, alot of them get damaged by storms, wildlife and being used by heavy vehicles.

 

+

Except your characters are undauntable builders who are always eager to overcome obstacles.  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am surprised. A 4 hour train journey? I could walk the length of Liechtenstein in that time! And there is no airport in Liechtenstein so surely if they are going to Australia they would fly from Geneva or Zurich??? :-S

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..