Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,053 Words
  • 2,883 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Outback - 13. OB Chapter 13

The honeymoon was short, but considering we had a week at the resort before the wedding, that was acceptable for Miranda and I. We were booked on an afternoon flight from Broome to Port Headland, with the station plane waiting for us to take us to Carlindie Station. Kyle was pleased to welcome me as his new son in law into the family. As we were flying to the station, Kyle mentioned there was some business to discuss when we got back.

I had a good idea what that business would be, that is why, I made number of telephone calls to make some changes regarding share holdings of Murchison Pastoral Investments. I sold all but 15% of my shares to my 3 brothers and 2 sisters and cousin, each of them receiving a 5% share, plus I added 5% each to my two mothers, Sue Silverton & Natalia Murchison, so their shares where equal to mine.

Unknown to anyone, I had finalised the purchase of 3 stations in the Interior, east of Wiluna, totalling 3.8 million acres, and 3 stations in the Pilbara, south west of Newman, totalling 3.7 million acres. All purchased under the new name of Western Desert Pastoral Co, with the three senior shareholders being Sue Silverton, Natalia Murchison and my son Kyle E Silverton, with 15 shares each. The minor shareholders are my cousin Christopher, my 3 brothers and two sisters each having 10% shares.

After we said hello to Kes and freshened up from the trip, Kyle senior summoned us to the main office. The family meeting was to discuss plans for the running of the two pastoral companies.

“Now that you” looking at Bryce “and my daughter are married we should combine the two companies into one big one,” he said as I listened politely “also, we need to restructure the finances, which includes the finishing of the purchase of the three stations south east of Newman.”

When Kyle senior had finished talking, I looked around the room at Elizabeth, then at Miranda and finally to Kyle senior, before clearing my throat to speak. “I am sorry if you were lead to believe that because I am the managing director of Murchison Pastoral Investments, that I had the majority shares in the company, unfortunately this is not the case”, I paused for a moment to let this information sink in, noticing a total change of expressions of the other three people in the room.

I continued “I am one of three major shareholders of the company, the other two, like me have 15% total shares, the remainder shares are distributed out between family members, some senior staff and other station owners in the district. I am not a greedy person, and I am prepared to share the investment with others who work for me, that have shown their worth.

Yes, the company has a total of 9 cattle stations and 4 roadhouses in the Nullabour region. Net worth of about $54 million Australian, but my share of that is only about $8 million. Recently, I invested that money in the purchase of another 3 stations in the Interior region”.

All of this information was quite a shock for those listening. The Edgerton family was hoping to merge with the Murchison family to own and operate Australia’s biggest Cattle business, but instead, they have just what they currently own and what they are negotiating to purchase at the moment.

Bryce continued, “At the moment, I believe, Miranda as the sole heir to Edgerton Pastoral Co, and has far more than what I have. Any plans that you may have had to merge the two together, will not be possible. Even if you thought with us being married, it was what’s mine is hers and what’s hers is mine, is not feasible. Finally, I am not interested in merging the companies in anyway”.

Much to my surprise, Miranda began crying, storming out of the office. Kyle senior had no idea what to say, as all his long-term plans for his daughter had just collapsed. “May I ask you; was it Elizabeth and your intentions to have us married so as to secure my company, to give your daughter a very comfortable life of luxury?” I questioned Kyle senior.

There was a long silence before Kyle looked up at me - his son in law, “Yes, it was. We were hoping you and Miranda would move to the city, enjoying a very comfortable life away from the heat, fire, floods and damn flies, while leaving the running of the joint empire to a management team. Then Elizabeth and I could retire to the city, to enjoy our retirement in comfort”.

I had suspected this. It was the main reason that I had made the changes to the shares of the companies. “I presume that Miranda was fully aware of these plans and was supporting them? I challenged. “Yes, she was the first to bring up the idea of getting hold of your company. With you both sharing a child, she suggested it as a way to secure a future for herself and her son” Kyle said.

I had heard enough, “Mr Edgerton, I wish to leave your station within the hour. I would be grateful if you could loan me a vehicle so I can drive to Port Headland. I am also informing you that I will be applying for an annulment of the marriage. Apart from arranging visitation for my son and providing financial support for him, I do not wish to have anything to do with your family or company”, done speaking, I turned, left the office, and walked across the lawn to the cottage.

Ignoring Miranda, who was working in the kitchen, I went into the master bedroom and locked the door. I had a shower and changed into fresh clothes. I finished packing the remainder of my belongings and carried the luggage out to the verandah. Miranda said nothing as I did this, but she did begin to cry again. I returned inside, walking quietly into my son’s room, where Kes was sleeping, leaning down I kissed my son goodbye and walked out of the room.

Once back on the verandah, the Landover arrived that I would use to drive to Port Headland. Kyle informed me that the vehicle was recently serviced, is fully fuelled and ready to go. I nodded and grabbed my luggage, placing them in the back seat. Taking one last look back at the cottage, hating leaving my son, still I got into the vehicle and drove away.

It was a very long three-hour drive to Port Headland, once within mobile phone reception range I called home to Pondana Station; Sue answered as the station telephone had been diverted to her mobile phone, as they were still travelling home from the wedding and were currently in Kalgoorlie.

I spent the next half an hour telling her the whole story of what had happened, my voice cracking when telling her about leaving Kes behind. I revealed that while in Broome, I had purchased a micro cassette recorder, which I had used to record the whole conversation in the office.

When I was done, Sue responded, “Bryce I suggest you travel to Broome and deal with the annulment in person. Maybe you should consider applying for custody of your son”

I said “I’ll think about it, but right now, I just wanted to get the marriage cancelled and come home. I’m going to finish the drive to Port Headland, get something to eat and go to bed. Good night, Sue” ending the call.

The following morning, I drove to the South Hedland Court House, where I applied for an annulment of the marriage to Miranda. When the senior clerk asked what reason’s I had for this application, I pulled out the recorder and pressed the play button.

After hearing just one minute of it, the clerk stopped the recording, replying “I’ll be back in about ten minutes. Wait right here, I need to consult with someone”.

Just five minutes later, the clerk reappeared and motioned me to follow him with the application and recorder. I was led into a conference room. Soon after sitting, the door opened and a gentleman in a suit and tie walked in, sat down at the head of the table, a lady following sat a few spaces away from him, with some sort of typewriter.

“Now Mr Silverton, my name is Mr Martin Davidson, I’m the visiting District Magistrate, you have come at a time when I have some spare time. The clerk here tells me you are in a difficult situation.”

Surprised that I was actually in front of a court magistrate, I stood up, “Your honour, I am surprised and grateful for your time to hear my problem…” For the next ten minutes I outlined the whole chain of events, before pressing the play button of the recorder. Once the recording had ended, I turned off the recorder and sat down.

After a bit of silence, the magistrate looked at me, “Young man, am fully aware of who you are, your skill and hard work to build a large pastoral operation in the Nullabour. I commend you for what you have achieved. Having heard your story, with confessions from Mr Edgerton regarding his plans to deceive you on tape, I hear by grant you your marriage annulment.

 

Further-more I release you from having to pay child support maintenance, in exchange for, the awarding of costs for pain and suffering, as one cancels out the other. Regarding the custody of the child – Kyle Edgar Silverton, I award equal joint custody, with Ms Edgerton making your son available for weekend and holiday visits, when best suits you. Also, your son is not to leave the state of Western Australia or the country without your written authorisation, that is it” the Magistrate said.

 

I stood up gave a small bow of respect, “Thank you, your Honour. And thank you for your time.” Outside in the Clerk’s office, all the documentation was finalised, signed, dated and given the official stamp. I was given a copy of the documents, and told that another copy would be forwarded to the Edgerton family.

Outside the courthouse, I telephoned Sue, and told her what had just happened. Leaving the vehicle at the police station car park as promised, I caught a taxi to the motel to spend another night, after making a booking for a flight to Kalgoorlie for the next morning. Returning back to my room after having a late lunch in the motel restaurant, the telephone in my room rang, it was the reception office, saying they had a child on the phone wanting to speak to his daddy, Mr Bryce Silverton.

I was a bit surprised by this and said I would take the call. Grabbing my recorder, changing over to a fresh tape, pressing record and held it close to the ear end of the phone, “Hello, is that you Kes?” I said not sure if it was really my son, “Hello daddy, why did you go? I’m sad I can’t see you” the boy sobbed.

I was heartbroken, having just started to get to know my son, and had to leave him, without saying goodbye, “Son, it is very difficult to explain, it is adult stuff that is hard to understand, just remember that I love you very much, be a very brave young man, and I will be seeing you again soon” I said choking back tears of my own. I just couldn’t leave and never see him again like I lead the boy’s grandfather to believe.

Suddenly in the background I heard Miranda yelling, “Kes who are you talking to on the telephone, if it’s that man, called your father, hang up now, you are not allowed to ever talk to him again!”

“Mummy, I want to talk to Daddy, cause I miss him and he didn’t say goodbye to me” Bryce heard Kes say, then the phone went dead. I looked at the clock, it was a few minutes before 3 pm. Quickly I called reception “Get me the number for the number for the courthouse, and put through. It’s urgent!”

Janurary 2016 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 21
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow and wow again. I had wondered about the rushed marriage. Just goes to show what can happen behind your back. I hope that he gains custody of Kes his mother obviously has lost her marbles. Can't wait for more. Thanks

  • Like 5
Link to comment

     Wow, Bryce did smell a rat after all. What a bunch of sleaze bags to try to pull off what they did. Now Bryce has to try and salvage his son from the mess. Great story

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Kind of sleazy for Kyle and Miranda to scheme like they did to try and get ahold of Bryce's company.  Now I hope that Kes has not been abused and that Bryce can get custody of him immediately. Great chapter!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

B)...................At least everyone here saw this coming, conniving trap using Byrce's son as bait is a bit cruel to both Bryce and Kes. I see a change of parenthood coming up real soon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I would demand a DNA test before moving forward.  Obviously that family cannot be trusted and are only interested in money.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great chapter. Glad Bryce made sure the business was safe. I hope he got enough recorded so the magistrate grants him full custody of Kyle.

Glad that Bryce smelt the rat, bring on the next chapter because shit’s going to hit the fan.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

After hearing the original story from the recording and understanding Miranda was the originator of that twisted plan, the magistrate should have considered giving full custody of Kes to Bryce right then. No one that toxic should have control over a child. As plotting as that family has proved to be, I wouldn't have even trusted them to provide a safe and reliable vehicle to travel in.

 

I'm sure after this last recording, Bryce will be taking Kes home with him. It would appear there is still some hope for Daniel in Bryce's future.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Looking at this from a positive perspective, Bryce has had a nice all expenses paid vacation, free sex with a prostitute, and gained a son in the process. If you discount the emotional toll involved, it was a productive two weeks.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..