Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,642 Words
  • 3,316 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Outback - 8. OB Chapter 8

Bryce retorted, “You will only pack and load your personal belongings and nothing more, or you will be charged with stealing. I have a full list of station assets and hope that none of it is being loaded onto that vehicle or trailer” Bryce said then strode off to find the office.

“Hey, you have no right to speak to me like that!” he turned to speak directly to Barrett still standing there, “He’s just some young bloke who thinks he knows it all.” he started to protest.

Barrett laughed and said, “That the young man you are referring to is the managing director of Murchison Pastoral Investments, the company that owns this station now, and because of your attitude and behaviour, you now have three hours to get you and your family’s personal belongings and get off the property.

Bryce finally found the office and he found it in a real mess, filing cabinets emptied with documents all over the desk and some overflowing onto the floor. Bryce quickly found the pay book, giving a current list of staff employed.

Aurbiddy Stn: Cook / gardener / housekeeper - Mrs Marsia Donchester, a widow aged 47, senior station hand - Mr Brian Lane, divorced aged 37, junior station hand - Mr James Lane, single aged 18, son of Brian Lane & junior station hand - Daniel Hart, single aged 19. Moonera Stn: Cook - Mr Adam Jessop, single aged 28, senior station hand - Rob Clarkeson, married aged 44, wife Patricia & 2 children, junior station hand - Grant Draper, single aged 21.

Bryce located and picked up the radio mike. “Attention all staff on Arubiddy, please to report to the office as soon as possible”, “Who the hell is asking?” came the surly reply.

“The managing director of Murchison Pastoral Investments, the company that owns this station now,” Bryce answered.

Within two minutes Marsia, Brian, Daniel and James were in the office, with Marsia trying to clean up the mess. Smiling, Bryce introduced himself, “Hi, I’m Bryce Silverton the owner and managing director of Murchison Pastoral Investments. The person outside watching the bastard packing his belongings and kicking him out is the new Senior Station manager of Arubiddy and Moonera Stations and a company director - Barrett Alson.”

Bryce continued, “As long as you work hard and are honest, you are all welcome to remain working with the company, but there will be some changes.” Turning to face the man, “Brian would you and your son like to take over as senior station hands and caretakers of Moonera? You would report to Barrett and it would include more responsibilities for more pay.

Daniel, I would like to move to Lochabar near the main station as caretaker. The three aboriginal station hands, currently at Pondana would move here to Arubiddy. The senior station hand and family will move from Moonera to Pondana, but Adam Jessop the cook would remain at Moonera.

These changes would not be permanent, as there will be some flexibility required with locations for work. Finally, the company also owns Depot and Lochabar Stations, south and north of Pondana, so work will include those areas during mustering." All the staff agreed to stay on with the company.

“Finally,” Bryce turning, asking, “Marsia if you could feed and accommodate Barrett and I, for two days please?” “I would be honoured to do so.”

As everyone was leaving the impromptu meeting, Bryce asked, “There will be another staff meeting straight after dinner tonight, as he and Barrett would be spending the day at Moonera tomorrow, returning in time for dinner. Thank you”

At 11:35am, the outgoing manager had finally packed and left the station. Barrett came into the office to find the boss finishing tidying up the office, they sat down for a chat, with Bryce telling him the plans and what he has said to the staff. At lunchtime, Barrett met the staff, and he asked Marsia to dine with them, so they could all talk together. He let the staff know that he was married with two children; he has worked for Bryce and his family for 5 years, and loved the challenges that Bryce gives him each day, as every day is different.

He said that Bryce's family has run cattle stations for nearly fifty years, with Pondana being the second station they owned for the past twenty years, so the family has a good reputation for running stations and good staff relations, so if you have any problems don’t hesitate to speak up. After lunch, Barrett asked young Daniel to spend the next 4 hours to give him and the boss a tour of key areas of the station. Daniel said he would be pleased to do so, giving his new boss a very big smile, which didn’t go un-noticed.

Thanking Marsia for a delicious lunch, the men all went out to do their afternoon jobs, at the shed Daniel loaded up two full, fuel gerry cans, two full water containers, two spare tyres and the tool box onto the back of the Ute.

Jumping into the driver’s seat, Daniel asked where they wanted to go. Barrett suggested around the homestead compound, the stockyards, and a few key water points, some with pumps some with windmills. Daniel nodded an understanding, and said the east run covers all those requirements, but Barrett stopped Daniel before he turned the key, pulled out the satellite telephone and dialled a number, "Marsia, this is Barrett speaking, Daniel, the boss and I are loaded and ready to leave on the east run, with two fuel, two water, two tyres and tool box, eta return is 5:30pm.

From now on as a safety requirement, all staff going on a long run will be required to carry a sat phone and to call you before departure, with that information I just gave you, which I will ask you to record in the book I left for you on the dining room table...... ok, thank-you, bye." "Like Barrett said, I like to look after our staff" Bryce said and motioned Daniel driving that they could leave now.

Returning to the shed just after 5pm, Daniel called the homestead to report that they had returned safely, his father answered and thanked him for the call. Bryce and Barrett helped Daniel to clean out the Ute, and to repair the one tyre that had been punctured during their journey. Both were happy with what they saw and were glad that Daniel was a very knowledgeable worker.

Brian soon appeared to see them repairing the tyre, with Bryce doing most of the grunt work. Barrett handed Brian two sat phones, telling him that they must be carried at all times on water runs that are more than 5 km’s from the homestead. Brian nodded, saying that Marsia had given him the briefing about calling before departure and on returning, just before Daniel called in.

They talked a bit more while Daniel and Bryce completed the type repairs, working side by side, with Daniel still having a huge grin on his face, before they went to rest and clean up before dinner. Brian also mentioned that Marsia had prepared two bedrooms in the homestead for them to stay tonight. After dinner, Barrett asked Marsia for a light breakfast at 5am, and to pack food for the trip to and from Moonera. Barrett went for an evening walk around the complex, before retiring, while Bryce called home to chat to his siblings before they went to bed.

During the walk around the compound, Barrett saw Daniel sitting on the yard fence looking at the moon rising in the eastern horizon, when Daniel realised the boss was standing next to the fence, he nearly fell off backwards, grabbing the top rail just in time to steady his balance.

Barrett asked Daniel why he seemed so happy and always smiling when working with him today. Daniels face went bright red from embarrassment, and he started to stutter as he couldn’t work out what to say, knowing that if he told the truth, he may no longer have a job or might get the boss angry. Barrett seeing the uneasiness of Daniel decided to drop the subject and instead told Daniel that it’s a great night to watch the moon rise, and wished him a good night.

The next morning after breakfast, Bryce and Barrett made their way back down to the highway, along the highway for 40 km’s and up the Moonera access track for 30 km, about a 90-minute journey with a short stop at Cocklebiddy Roadhouse to meet the managers.

On arrival at the homestead soon after 7am, they were met by a young man who said his name was Grant and how could he help them. Bryce smiled at the pleasant reception they had received. Barrett introduced himself as the senior station manager for Murchison Pastoral Investments, and he introduced Bryce as the managing director. Grant said that he had heard that new management would be coming soon, but not as unexpected as early as this. Bryce laughed, saying that is what happened at Arubiddy yesterday, with mixed responses. Grant directed the guests to the station homestead where the manager was finishing breakfast, entering unannounced.

Barrett introduced himself and Bryce to Rob and Pat Clarkeson, who offered them a seat and a cup of tea. Barrett explained how the family of Pondana station now own Depot, Lochabar, Arubiddy and Moonera stations, and that with the current staff at Pondana, along with the staff from Arubiddy and Moonera, there would be plenty of work to do, but there would be some changes.

Bryce spoke next explaining that Barrett would manage both of these eastern stations, based at Arubiddy, with the three station hands who are brothers from Pondana will work on both eastern stations. The senior station hand and his son will caretaker Moonera, with Adam also staying and that Rob and family would take up senior station hand position at Pondana replacing Barrett.

This will give their children the chance to attend school with 7 other children on the station, which has its own school, plus they will be video linked to Arubiddy for Barrett's two children. Grant and the station hand from Arubiddy would move to Lochabar, with two more station hands to be employed later.

Rob and Patricia were thrilled to be able to give the children a better surrounding for school and social life. Bryce said they would have a three-bedroom cottage to live in, with a swimming pool and recreation hall nearby. Barrett continued saying, they’d be leaving as soon as everyone was packed but, no longer than two weeks. Barrett asked Grant to give him a half day tour of key water points and the homestead compound.

He also presented a report book and two sat phones. Instructing all, that from now on, any staff going on a water run or trip further than 5 km’s from the homestead must carry a sat phone and report to the homestead before departure with confirmation of water, fuel, tyres and tools loaded, destination, eta on return, and report upon returning.

Bryce thanked Pat for the cuppa and asked for a cuppa on their return, but not to worry about lunch as they have packed lunches with them. Once they were loaded and had called the homestead, they set off on a water run, expecting to be back at about 11:30am. This time they had two type punctures, and on returning, while Grant reported in and cleaned out the Ute, Bryce and Barrett started repairs on the tyres, finishing up just as Pat called them in for a cuppa and eat their lunch.

While at the kitchen table, Pat mentioned to the bosses that she has two nephews who come from a beef farming background. The farm had been sold a year ago due to financial hardship. Their father, her brother, has managed to get a farming consultant’s job in another district to the south of the state but the two young men are still unemployed. Bryce told her to email all the details, plus their resumes to the main office at Pondana, so he can review them for consideration.

Getting ready for departure, Bryce gave Rob a business card with all the contact details on it, and he said he would be in contact soon regarding the move. Just under two hours later, they were back at Arubiddy station, with Marsia giving them a hot brew. Barrett told Brian that all went well at Moonera, and that they would be moving within two weeks, but Marsia would remain at Arubiddy to feed the bigger group there.

After dinner Bryce did a telephone conference call with all three stations, to coordinate planning of the moving of staff and families, which will all happen on the same day. Bryce said he would be at Arubiddy to ensure everything goes smoothly at the eastern end. The following morning Bryce and Barrett made the over three hour journey home, arriving in time for morning tea.

After a bit of office work and an early lunch both men went to their homes for the remainder of the day, to recover from the exhausting past few days of travelling. Nine days later Bryce was back in Arubiddy, coordinating the big move day. By sunset, each of the three main homesteads had new staff installed, and surprisingly it all went smoothly for everyone.

The next day Bryce drove to Moonera to spend a day with Brian, James & Adam, to make sure they really have settled in properly. While there, Bryce reassured Adam that if he had any problems to call him on the sat phone or the station phone any time, and gave him a business card. Bryce also told James that he would have the opportunity to live and work on Pondana and back at Arubiddy, and this would apply to the other 5 station hands and any future station hands, to broaden their skills.

Bryce had the same chat with James as he did with Adam, while Brian was busy in the office. Arriving back at Arubiddy just on sunset, after a short stop at Cocklebiddy Roadhouse, to meet with the owners, Bryce enjoyed the great meal that Marsia provided. After dinner, he asked the three brothers to join him for a short walk, where he had the same talk as he did with Adam and James.

Early the next morning, Bryce set off for the long journey home, it was during this journey that he suddenly remembered that today was a very special day, and he wondered if anyone else had remembered, that it was his 18th birthday. When he arrived at Caiguna Roadhouse, he was asked to wait for the owners to arrive in an hour for the meeting. Bryce was glad to have a good rest break from all the driving.

When the roadhouse owners arrived, they gave Bryce a detailed tour of the complex before they would sit down for a meeting in the restaurant. As they passed through the kitchen it was very busy, and Bryce was told there was a private function to be held later. As they entered the restaurant, Bryce was shocked to see everyone from all the stations, including all the family, cheering him and singing happy birthday.

On hearing about the party, the RFDS crew who planned to stay overnight at Pondana, had instead diverted to land on the highway to join in the celebrations, and they carried in the big birthday cake from the kitchen. Bryce was so surprised he had to sit down, and he and nearly sat on the floor till someone stuck a chair behind him just at the right moment.

 

Janurary 2016 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 32
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another fantastic chapter, Bryces plan’s seem to be coming together nicely. Glad to see that they remembered his 18th Birthday. Looking forward to more of this wonderful story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I am fascinated by this station life. I am a small town guy with farming in my family, but this station life is all new to me. The size of these places is hard for me to imagine! I appreciate all the details you include, although I think I need a diagram to really understand all the shifting of personnel among the homesteads! 😉 I am really enjoying Bryce and his story. Thank you.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The station manager flap was settled much easier than I thought it would be. The birthday celebration was a nice surprise.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I am pleased you opted to have the manger question with the crook manager was dealt with quickly.It was the same for me when had to deal with similar situations from the time I was eighteen. It is the best way I believe after watching Dad deal with a bad worker who walked all over him. It might seem tough and crude and unfair as little or no warning given. But none is needed when confronted by such bad behavior  by staff

Kevin. 

 

Love this yarn too! 

http://graememoad.com/family/WC25/WC25_271.HTM all

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Continued,

 The bush is tough and breeds raises and makes for tough fair and insightful people.Just look at all the bushes who went the various warms since the Boer wars. They were so tough and no nonsense that opposing  armies hates fighting them because it meant getting clobbered worse than they thought was possible. Australia's bushes are proven to be resourcefull  and very tough and often unscrupulous in the way that the deal with people who think to play tough and rough. 

 

Kevin. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great chapter.  The story line has me wanting to know a lot more about the cattle station lives of people and their animals. It sounds a bit like the old American West (or our romanticized version of it) meets the 21st Century of Satellite phones and Utes.  I've been hooked on this story line since the early chapters.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..