Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 1,597 Words
  • 3,107 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Outback - 11. OB Chapter 11

Bryce thought for a moment, he knew that surname from the past somewhere, then it suddenly clicked, Miranda Edgerton, the really nice young lady that was his first relationship. That was nearly five years ago, just before his 16th birthday that he met her, and now he was going to see her again, Bryce was not sure how he felt about that.

 

Two days later at the Port Headland airport, a Landcruiser was parked not far away from the main building as Bryce climbed down the stairs from the plane. As he neared the bottom of the stairs the front door of the Landcruiser opened and Mr Edgerton stepped out, and walked towards Bryce, holding his hand out to greet him.

 

“Hello sir, it is good to see you again, it must be five years now since we last met,” Bryce said shaking his hand firmly. “Hello young man, my you have grown a lot since we last saw you, let me take your bags, climb into the vehicle to get out of the heat while I put your luggage in the back” Mr Edgerton said.

 

Climbing into the back seat, he saw Mrs Edgerton seated in the front passenger seat, “Hello Mrs Edgerton, it’s nice to see you, thank-you very much for allowing me to stay at your place, it is very much appreciated” Bryce said as he climbed in and secured his seatbelt.

 

Mrs Edgerton smiling, said, “It is our pleasure dear boy, we have been keeping track of all your activities down on your properties in the Nullabour, we are so glad that you are doing so well”. Bryce wasn’t sure how he felt about that revelation, maybe even slight bit of unease.

 

Mr Edgerton climbed into the driver’s seat. A short drive saw them arrive at an aircraft hangar, where a twin prop light aircraft was parked just outside. “This is my plane Bryce; it’s much faster and in the long run more efficient for us to travel by air instead of the long drive home.

 

Since we last met you we have also expanded, from two stations to four stations. Carlindie is still our home and main base, even though it’s the most northern of the five stations” Mr Edgerton said as he started to load the luggage and large boxes of shopping and other supplies into the plane.

 

Bryce was invited to sit in the co-pilot seat, and once they were in the air, Mr Edgerton continued telling how his cattle station empire had grown. “The next stations south that we own is Lalla Rookh, Panorama and Glen Herring Stations. At the moment, we are negotiating to purchase two more stations further south, those being Hillside and Bamboo Springs Stations.

 

All are neighbouring each other so it’s almost a straight line downwards from just south of Port Headland all the way down to Nullagine. Once those sales have been completed we will have 7.8 million acres from the six properties, there are three other stations south of Newman, totalling another 4.3 million acres that are for sale, but I don’t have the finances for that just now.” Mr Edgerton said.

 

When they landed at Carlindie station, there were two vehicles waiting for them. The driver of the front vehicle stepped out, and it was Miranda. Bryce was having troubles not staring at her, she was even more beautiful young lady than she had been all those years ago. As she ran up to Bryce with her arms out wide ready to give him a huge hug and a full kiss on the lips.

 

This caught Bryce by surprise, but he returned the kiss and wrapped his arms around her, once the long kiss was over. Bryce smiled, “If that’s the reception I get from you from just four years apart, I would hate to think what it would be like if it was longer” he said with a cheeky smile.

 

Miranda threw her head back and laughed out loud, “It’s nice to see you again too Bryce, by the way I have someone who I want you to meet” she said, wrapping an arm around his and leading the way to the vehicle.

           

Opening the rear passenger door, Bryce saw sleeping in a toddler booster seat, a boy aged about four years old, blond hair blue eyes and a really nice smile.

“Does he remind you of someone?” Miranda said, with a huge grin.

 

Bryce was totally puzzled and he looked at Mr & Mrs Edgerton who were standing nearby, then it suddenly clicked and his face went ghost white and his legs started to give way. Mr Edgerton was quick enough to grab Bryce by the arm to stop him hitting the concrete, and gently lowered him down to a sitting position.

 

“Bryce, my dear boy, I would like to introduce you to our grandson, and your son, Kyle Edgar Silverton” Mrs Edgerton said to Bryce, squatting down to be face to face with Bryce.

 

“It’s alright, we are not angry with you for getting our daughter pregnant, we are just thankful that it was an intelligent and hardworking young man like yourself to be the father. Your Adoptive mother – Sue only learnt about Kyle, when she telephoned the other day to ask for us to allow you to say for two weeks holiday.

 

Although shocked she was happy, and agreed not to tell you about Kyle so we could break the news to you,” Mr Edgerton said. Bryce stood up, his emotions swirled in his head as stepped towards the car, after a few moments he smiled then turned, giving Miranda a big hug, “I wish you had told me earlier, instead of shocking me like this. Wow! I am a daddy! He looks so peaceful sleeping” Bryce said.

 

Miranda smiled and said “Wait till he wakes up then you will change your mind,” quietly closing the door, and opening the passenger door for Bryce.

Miranda drove Bryce and their son back to the homestead, while Miranda’s parents followed in the second vehicle with all the supplies and luggage, as they had been in Port Hedland for just over two days doing shopping and dealing with business. Arriving at the impressive homestead, Miranda drove on a little more to a small cottage on the far side of the large lawn and garden.

 

“This is my place, I hope you will stay with me in the cottage with our son, we will have all our meals in the homestead with Mum and Dad” Miranda said as she climbed out of the vehicle, Bryce nodded as he climbed out and opened the rear passenger door. Miranda just stood back and watched as Bryce carefully unstrapped his son, and lifted Kyle out of the seat and into his arms, the boy stirred a little bit but continued to sleep

 

Bryce followed Miranda into the cottage and down the hall to Kyle’s bedroom, where he gently lowered him onto the bed and covered him with a blanket, before following Miranda out of the room. For the next two hours Bryce and Miranda talked, mostly about what they each had been doing from the past four years since they were last together.

 

They only stopped talking, when they were interrupted by a sleepy boy walking into the lounge. When he saw the stranger he stopped, carefully he looked at the stranger, then a huge smile appeared and he raced to Bryce, hugging him tight.

 

“Hi Daddy” he said shyly.

 

Bryce eyes were now watering and all he could say was “Hello Son”, in reply as they continued to hug. Miranda just smiled at the wonderful bonding that had happened and she was now very happy, her plans were working. Soon after there was a cow bell ringing from the homestead.

 

“Lunch time, I’m hungry” Kyle exclaimed as he started to head over to the homestead. “Woo, not so fast, little man, how about washing your face and hands please”? Miranda questioned. Kyle quickly changed directions and rushed into the bathroom.

 

After lunch Mr Edgerton, or Kyle as he was asked to be called, asked Bryce if he would like to join him on a short horse ride out to the yards to check on the stock work that was happening. Bryce agreed to this and they were soon in the stables saddling up two stock horses for the two-kilometre ride to the cattle yards.

 

Once there Kyle and Bryce observed the stockmen as the cattle were sorted to see which were near to sale quality, as Kyle wanted two truckloads sent to the port next week for export. Similar operations were happening at the other stations, to get a bit more income flowing as there was the continual demand of outgoing costs to keep the stations operating smoothly, and Kyle was always keeping a close eye on that.

 

Once back at the homestead shortly before dark, Bryce had a shower and changed for dinner. As he entered the cottage lounge room, little Kyle or Kes, using his name abbreviations, attacked him with a big hug.

 

Bryce laughed and grabbed his son and swung him up high over his shoulders, placing him on his shoulders, with Kes screaming with delight, as they started to head over to the homestead, where Elizabeth and her daughter – Miranda were making the final touches to dinner.

Janurary 2016 Preston Wigglesworth, All Rights are Reserved
  • Like 27
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks for your comments

glad you like the twist

 

but wait there is more...

 

no not a set of steak knives lol

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Like everyone else has said, this was an unexpected twist. I am more than a little troubled by that line about Miranda being happy because her plans were working.There are several possible outcomes that could come out of this situation. I know which one I want to see.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, quokka said:

Thanks for your comments

glad you like the twist

 

but wait there is more...

 

no not a set of steak knives lol

 

That’s just cruel a teaser like that 😀

  • Like 3
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, quokka said:

Thanks for your comments

glad you like the twist

 

but wait there is more...

 

no not a set of steak knives lol

 

B)..............Nah, I'm thinking steak knives might be too kind for ya! :P  So if Bryce plays his cards right, he will be heir to a cattle fortune as large as his own. I'll set aside any predictions until a few more have a go at you! Interesting chapter!

Edited by Benji
  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

*****  POSSIBLE SPOILER *****

 

 

 

Spoiler

If Miranda had been in love with Bryce, she would have told Bryce about Kes long ago. I'm thinking Miranda has fallen in love and Bryce is about to get custody of Kes. One of Bryce's main misgivings about a relationship with Daniel was that he wanted a child. This solves that not so little problem without surrogates or adoption.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

*****  POSSIBLE SPOILER *****

 

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

If Miranda had been in love with Bryce, she would have told Bryce about Kes long ago. I'm thinking Miranda has fallen in love and Bryce is about to get custody of Kes. One of Bryce's main misgivings about a relationship with Daniel was that he wanted a child. This solves that not so little problem without surrogates or adoption.

 

 

 

Youv’e probably got that spot on @drpaladin

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

*****  POSSIBLE SPOILER *****

 

 

 

  Hide contents

If Miranda had been in love with Bryce, she would have told Bryce about Kes long ago. I'm thinking Miranda has fallen in love and Bryce is about to get custody of Kes. One of Bryce's main misgivings about a relationship with Daniel was that he wanted a child. This solves that not so little problem without surrogates or adoption.

 

 

 

B)......................Interesting theory, although I can't understand how she would readily ........

Spoiler

abandon her 4yr old in favor of another suitor in waiting, or how her parents would react favorably to it. I did notice that the father mentioned his intentions with Bryce about securing the other properties, but was in dire need of more money.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
41 minutes ago, Benji said:

 

B)......................Interesting theory, although I can't understand how she would readily ........

  Reveal hidden contents

abandon her 4yr old in favor of another suitor in waiting, or how her parents would react favorably to it. I did notice that the father mentioned his intentions with Bryce about securing the other properties, but was in dire need of more money.

 

You might not understand it, but it happens in real life.

Spoiler

Think about this point. Parents put their children up for adoption every day. In those cases, they may likely never see them again or know what happens to them in the future. At least, in this case, Miranda would always know and have the opportunity to see him. It's a separation, not a nullification.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Didn't see this coming. It is a bit odd that Miranda and her family waited four years to let Bryce know about his son. It seems very manipulative. I am curious to see how this affects Bryce. And what about Daniel?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..