Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 2,545 Words
  • 698 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Terror Again - 4. TA Chapter 4

“You guys are so naughty but also entertaining, thanks for that, as I did really enjoy seeing that barmaid squirm when you guys embraced and kissed,” I said to the lads, as I followed them out the door, and stopped just outside the tavern they kissed again. “Ok guys, get a room will ya,” someone called out from the darkness of the car park, which made me chuckle.

While I headed to my vehicle, Sawney followed Mark to his, as I suspected he would, and they followed behind as we headed back to my property. When we finally arrived back, I stopped to lock the gate once inside the property, while Sawney directed Mark to the garage, and after some discussion and measuring, we managed to get Mark’s Humvee into the garage, but it was a very tight squeeze.

I waited for Sawney and Mark to gather his luggage, before following them out of the garage, locking the door behind me, and following them down the path to the main house, “Welcome to my brother’s sanctuary,” Sawney said as they entered, “Wow, I did not expect this. Hey is that…” Mark said, “Yes a full-size tennis court,” I said to Mark, as he continued to say ‘wow’ when shown around the rest of the house by Sawney, while I headed to my suite to have a shower.

“This is so awesome, you have done wonders to this place. I have seen photos of this property when it used to be a fishing camp, and it looks so much different now,” Mark said to me when I arrived in the main living area on the east side of the building. “Thanks, yes, it took a lot of work to clean up the place after the cyclone destroyed most of it, and over a year to get the place looking the way I like it,” I replied.

“Wait till you see the property in the daylight, you will be amazed at what you see,” Sawney added. “By the way, I have two officers from my company coming here tomorrow for a meeting, so I will need you both to be scarce while the meeting is happening,” I said to them both, who nodded their heads in understanding. “What would you like for breakfast in the morning?” Mark asked me. “Surprise me with what you can rustle up from the fridge. I will be up early, but I don’t usually have breakfast till about 90 minutes later at about 0730 hours,” I replied.

The following morning, I was up early like I usually am, and using the quad bike, I took the inflatable zodiac boat on its small trailer, that I had recently purchased, down to the boat ramp, to check out the creek some more, which I have not had a chance to do until now.

Once I had attached the 75cc outboard motor, I headed downstream for about 1.5 kilometres, until I came to a junction in the creek, which was smaller in width and headed in a westerly direction. I decided to return to the ramp, as I had been gone for nearly 45 minutes already.

When I reached the boat ramp, I found my brother and Mark there waiting for me. “You could have left a note to let me know where you were going, I was getting worried,” Sawney said to me, as they helped me to bring the dinghy up and place it on the trailer, and secure it. As we drove back to the property on both quad bikes, we stopped at the gate to close and lock it again, we heard an approaching vehicle, so I asked the lads to take the quad with the trailer back to the shed, while I wait to see who was approaching.

A few minutes later, I could see two Army Hawkei vehicles approaching, as they managed to navigate the difficult road conditions to reach the gate, which I opened up to let them in. In the lead vehicle, I was surprised to see Lt Colonel Briggs seated next to the Regimental Sergeant Major, and I snapped to attention, as the vehicle stopped next to me. “Sir, and RSM, welcome to Fort Kenrick,” I said in a clear voice, making up the name from the top of my head.

The Lt Colonel and RSM chuckled at this comment, “Captain, sorry about the unannounced visit, I have also got Lieutenant Jenkins with me too,” the Lt Colonel said to me, “Very well sir, please follow me,” I responded, as I jumped onto the quad bike and drove into the property, stopping next to the Work Shed.

“I believe you have your brother visiting you at the moment,” the Colonel said after all the Army visitors had stepped out of the two vehicles. “Yes sir, as well as Mr Mark Hampton, a recent addition to the property, who is a former worker on a cattle station near Adelaide River, and I have employed him to be my chef, while I am off work,” I responded.

“I see. I’m informed that you have done a lot of work to the property since acquiring it after the last cyclone, can we have a look, and we need to sit down for a bit of a briefing as well,” the Lt Colonel said to me. Unlocking the main double doors to the Workshop shed, I stepped inside, stopping in the middle of the central main room.

“To the left is a triple garage and small store room, and as you can see, this is an open general-purpose area, while to the right behind that half wall is a general living area, with two bathrooms, kitchen and laundry, plus the stairs to the upper level,” I explained, before walking in that direction and entered the living space, where I allowed them to look into the rooms, before heading upstairs.

On this level, we have two bunk rooms, and on the other side we have two more bunk rooms and two bathrooms,” I said to my guests. “Bunk rooms? I thought you would have made yourself a lot more comfortable than having bunkrooms,” the RSM said to me. “I have, this is just my backup accommodation building, in case of emergencies, where people may need emergency accommodation,” I replied, as I allowed them to have a look.

“Not furnished yet I see,” Staff Sergeant Giles stated, “That is correct Staff, I have not had the chance to do that yet,” I responded, “Ok, would you mind showing us the rest of the property?” the Lt Colonel asked, “Certainly sir, just follow me, and I will show you the fresh water tank, that provides all my water supplies, plus I have a power shed, with solar and wind power generators, plus power storage batteries, so I am fully self-sufficient I most ways, and there is one shed that only has the roof and half external walls,” I replied.

After showing my guests those areas, we walked over to the main shed, where I could hear the sounds of a tennis match in progress, “Is that tennis I hear?” the major asked me, and I chuckled, and nodded my head yes, as I opened the main doors to inside, and right away, Sawney and Mark stopped playing. “Lt Colonel, Major, Lieutenant, and Sergeant Major, welcome to my brother’s sanctuary,” Sawney said, as he said the ranks in order correctly.

I chuckled at this and turned to the Lt Colonel, “Sir, my smart-arse brother, Mr Sawney Kenrick, who was in high school army cadets a few years back, and his good friend and Chef, Mr Mark Hampton,” I said making the introductions, as I smelt food and my stomach decided to rumble loudly, and both Sawney and Mark laughed. “Yes, breakfast is ready, and I have made extra for your guests,” Mark announced, and I headed for the living area, where the table was set for seven.

Our guests as I expected had already eaten and so they accepted just tea and coffee, while the three of us ate our breakfast, and once finished, Mark said that Saw and he would clean up, while I attend to my guests. “What is with the decking on the other side of the courts?” the Major asked me, “Large splash pool sir, plus seating and a BBQ area too,” I replied, as we head up the spiral stairs.

“Here I have two guest suites, with their own bathrooms, while across the way on the other side, is my personal living quarters, private lounge and study,” I replied pointing in that direction but staying put where we stood, as I had no intention of showing them that area, and after looking into one of the guest suites, the Lt Colonel sat down on the lounge, with the others following suit.

“So, I count four bunk rooms and these two guest suites as your additional accommodation?” the Lt Colonel asked me, “That is correct sir, but one guest suite is currently occupied, why do you ask?” I responded, as I now wondered what the hell was about to happen. “Our Federal Defence Minister has announced that the 1st Aviation Regiment will be relocating to Townsville in a few years, and I don’t want to lose your talents and skills.

I have done a bit of maneuvering, to secure your future here in the Top End, this includes, making two promotions, which happens to be perfect timing, as the Company Commander of the Joint Logistics Unit, has requested a transfer to New South Wales, to be close to his parents, who are not well. This leaves that position open, and with your additional training, I would like you to take up that position Major Kenrick,” the Lt Colonel said to me, and it took a moment to realise that I have just been promoted up one rank. “Thank you, Sir. I will gladly consider the promotion and transfer to Joint Logistics,” I replied.

“Only consider? Not accept? I guess I can allow you some time to consider it. Now that I have seen your property, I would also like to make a special request, and that is to make your property an unofficial training area, and with your existing facilities already in place, it would be perfect to have as a training camp,” the Lt Colonel said to me.

“I’m not sure about that sir, I prefer to have my private sanctuary, away from day-to-day life in the Army, so for now… I am going to say, I am sorry but no,” I responded. “I am a little disappointed about your response, as it is also a way of having some army personnel here to keep you safe until these two men are captured and locked away for good,” the Lt Colonel said to me.

“That may be so, Sir, but my answer is still no,” I replied with more determination in my voice. “Struan, during the tour of your property, I noticed that you have some leftover railway iron… I was going to suggest that maybe you could install a low vehicle barrier fence along the side of that road junction, and install a heavy-duty beam gate so that vehicles cannot go any further along Leaders Creek Road,” the Major said to me.

“Yes, that’s an interesting idea, but it is a public road, so I suggest that you put a proposal to the Litchfield Shire, that the Army proposes to use the area for training purposes, even though I have decided not to allow access to my place, but the Shire won’t know that,” I responded, “We will also request permission to install a heavy-duty low fence along the front of Saltwater Arm Road, to stop access to the remainder of Leaders Creek Road, and that we will pay for the costs of repairing the damage of the road, that obviously has been created by some idiots when the roads were wet and boggy,” the Lt Colonel said.

“That would be very helpful, sir, but I will still say no to the Army accessing my property for accommodation and training purposes,” I replied, “Understood. Thank you for the tour of your property, it is a shame that we can’t come up with some sort of agreement, maybe later down the track we can review this matter,” the Lt Colonel said as he and the rest of the guests stood up to prepare to leave.

Once they had gone, and I had relocked the front gate, this time adding an extra chain and padlock to the gate, I returned to the main building and found Sawney and Mark in the splash pool, with the pump running. “I hope that you have swim trunks on, as I don’t allow nudity in open places on my property, understood little brother,” I said to Sawney, “Understood big bro, and yes we have swimmers on,” he replied.

A little later on, while I was in my study reading, I heard Mark and Sawney playing tennis again, which made me smile, and I continued to read as I found it relaxing to lay back and do nothing. As it was nearing nightfall, I realised that the place was very quiet, and I wondered where the lads were until I heard laughter approaching from outside the building, and I heard them open and close the main doors.

“Hey bro, we are getting ready to prepare dinner, any special requests?” Saweney called out, and I stood and walked to the main lounge area, “No, anything will do thanks, lads,” I replied. “Hey Struan, how long have you been in the Australian Army for now?” Mark asked me. “It’s been almost ten years, I was…” I stopped because I suddenly realised that my term in the Army was due for renewal, and… “That sneaky bastard,” I said out loud more to myself than anyone else in the building.

“Who is a sneaky bastard?” Sawney asked me as he stepped out into the centre area of the building and looked up towards where I was standing near the railing. “Never mind, it is just something I have realised, nothing for you to worry about bro,” I replied, before returning to my study to type up a draft email to my CO to inform him that I was not happy about the sneaky way that the Lt Colonel was trying to keep me in the Army, beyond my ten-years service commitment, and that I will not be accepting the transfer of jobs or the promotion, and that I would not be renewing my service to the Army when it expires in nine weeks.

I prepared a draft email before I decided to change my mind, and once done, I reviewed it and filed it away ready to be sent when I need to, and I closed down the computer as well as my mobile phone and returned to my book. The following day while Mark and Sawney took the Zodiac down to the creek to do some fishing, I decided to make some changes to the front gate, to make it a lot stronger, since some idiots have already tried to barge their way through the gates.

Copyright August 2023 All Rights are Reserved, Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 11
  • Love 15
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..