Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 830 Words
  • 1,930 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tsunami - 1. Tsu Chapter 1

For the first time since getting married to Mei Ling, a third generation Australian, who’s great grandmother comes from the Kuala Kedah area near Penang, Malaysia, I was finally able to save enough money to take Mei and our son’s to Malaysia for a holiday and give Mei a chance to visit the area where her ancestors come from.

For me, I am a fifth generation Australian, our family originated from Scotland on one side of the family and the Isle of Man on the other side, I had visited my ancestral home when I was a teenager when my parents took me for a trip to the UK, and now I wanted to give Mei the same opportunity.

Our sons – Boyden, Grady, Keegan & Rhain although they are all still very young; aged from one to five years old, I hope that this would be the first of many great travelling adventures for them all.

The trip from Perth to Singapore took 5 ½ hours, with us leaving Perth just after 6.40 in the morning, and we had a 5 hour stop over before making the trip to Penang in Malaysia, which took another 1 ½ hours, arriving there at 6.15 in the evening.

By the time we arrived at our hotel, the whole family was very tired, so Mei and I fed the boys with some hotel room service, before we put them to bed and ate a little ourselves, before we too went to bed.

The next morning, we woke up late and ate some brunch on the patio of our hotel suite, and we organised some tours of places to see and things to do on our first full day in Malaysia.

Our plan was to spend a few days being tourists, visiting as many different places as we can, then we would spend a day or two in the Kuala Kedah area, so look around and maybe find any possible relatives of Mei’s. She was not expecting to find any, as she had been told as a young child that all her relatives in Malaysia had gone.

After this we would return to Penang, where Mei and the boys would do some shopping while attended to some business, as I had been given some contacts regarding investing in business in Malaysia, that would I hope to be fruitful in the future, as a nest egg of funds for the boys.

I hoped to have my business concluded by the end of two days, which would give us the last two days to just relax and do any last-minute shopping or looking around before making the long trip home.

After three days for seeing all the tourist sites and doing some shopping, we hired a car and made the long drive north to Kuala Kedah, which was a 1 ½ hour journey, with three stops at toll booth stations, we booked into the Lotus Hotel in Alor Setar a large city just inland and east of Kuala Kedah.

Here we rested for an hour before we made our way to Mei’s ancestral hometown; we visited the fishing port, where Mei’s ancestors were once fisherman.

After several enquiries, with the help of Mei’s fluency in the Malay language, we were shown to a small shop on the edge of town, to see an old woman who knows most of the old people of the town.

When we arrived the very old lady invited our whole family indoors, and we were offered rice tea and cakes, as she began to explain to Mei the old people she knew who use to fish the river in the old ways.

When Mei asked the lady if she knew any of her ancestors, Mei was told yes that there was a family by the name of Megat, who were fishermen for many generations before her time.

Sadly, most of the family had gone, all except her dear friend Hakim Megat, who lives alone since the death of her beloved husband many years ago, the lady said that she goes to visit her friend at least once a week to deliver groceries and to have a long chat.

They talk about the old times, and she often tells the story of a lost great uncle who went away to an unknown land, never to be heard of again.

When Mei mentioned that her great grandfather comes from this area, when her family were very poor fishermen, and he went looking for work to be able to survive and ended up on a boat bound for Australia.

When the old lady heard this, she told Mei to come back again tomorrow, so she could arrange a meeting with Hakim, to see if they are related or not. As we travelled back to the hotel, Mei was silent for the whole journey, deep in thought about what she had heard, with a mixture of emotions on what she had just learnt.

Copyright March 2018 All Rights are Reserved Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 6
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A very interesting way to start the story. I hope Mei is able to learn that she still has some relatives in her ancestral home. If the old lady is right Mei might have some relatives who still live and work in the fishing village where her ancestors came from. This should be a great learning experience for the boys who are still young enough for them to be excited about seeing some place they’ve never been to before. Who knows the boys might even pick up a few cultural things which I think will have a positive impact on them especially when they range in age from one to five. Great chapter quokka. I think it was a little short but it gives the reader a brief glimpse into the characters in the story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It is sort of a 'going home' to start your story Q. I was surprised at how quickly the 'Aussie-isms' became familiar again. Like the use of the full stop in showing times. I will have to read a while to catch up mentally with the story thread, but I am looking forward to it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great Chapter. I'm glad to see your back. Although not a long time, I missed getting up and reading your stories.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, JCtoGO2 said:

Great Chapter. I'm glad to see your back. Although not a long time, I missed getting up and reading your stories.

This is a very short story, until my editor gets back from a well deserved holiday, then he has another story ready to be edited.

Q

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..