Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 3,837 Words
  • 3,385 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Twin Change - 3. TC Chapter 3

As the final days of the camp arrived, final preparations were being made for a 8 performance concert, to be held at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, on the last evening of the camp, which featured the bagpipes as the final item, and although the group leader had made plans on how their performance will be done, the twins and two girls had made separate plans, where the girls will start the performance on stage, while the twins will be at opposite sides of the audience gallery, to join in on the second verse of the Scottish tune.

On the night of the concert, the stage manager was panicking, because the twins had disappeared just before they were due to start their performance, and the two girls ensured the stage manager that it will all turn out ok, even with just them being on stage, as they took their places on stage and the curtains opened, just as they started to play.

When the sound of two more bagpipes began from within the audience gallery, it caught everyone by surprise, except the lighting crew, who had been cued into the plan, just minutes before it started, and spotlights shone onto each of them, as they began to play. The performance was a complete success, and received a rousing applause, when the music ended, which lasted a lot longer than expected, surprising the four performers, who had agreed earlier to play Mull of Kintyre as an encore if it was called for, and the twins started to play the second tune, while the girls joined in on the second verse.

Returning to the accommodation, everyone was very happy with how the performance went, and as the twins were about to head upstairs, they were summoned to the common room, where three very unhappy looking staff were waiting. “Now Finn and Felix, we presume that you two are the leaders of your group, who made the changes to the programme, although we are not happy with you two doing this…. we wish to congratulate you and your two lady colleagues for an outstanding performance, well done to you both, I am sure your parents will be very proud of you both” the senior music leader announced with a big smile on his face.

“Eh! Thank-you sir, I’m sure when I return to Scotland, my parents will be pleased” Finn said, “And the same with my father and grandparents, when I return to Wellington” Felix said trying very hard to disguise is Scottish accent, having practiced all week to try and hide it, and so the plan has now commenced, tomorrow the twins would go in opposite directions, but this time to their new homes, pretending to be the other twin. They had already changed beds two nights ago, were now wearing the other twin’s clothes, and had the other twin’s passport for the international flight the next day.

Even their room-mates hadn’t noticed the change which had taken place two nights ago, late at night, when they swapped pyjamas and beds, to start the transition into a completely new life. The boys had talked about their lives in great detail, and with the help of photos on their phones, too help all the people in their lives, and where there are no photos, detailed descriptions were given for each teacher and students that they dealt with in their lives.

For Felix, he would have to learn athletics quickly, while Finn would have to learn to play soccer, which was the only part of the plan that would be difficult for both of them. On that last night, the twins chatted till late as usual, and before going to sleep, they said goodbye and hugged for a long time, unsure on how long their plan would last, and when they would see each other in person again, although they would stay in regular contact via skype each week.

On the Monday morning after breakfast, the boys packed their luggage and said goodbye, exchanging email addresses and phone numbers with the other room-mates, before setting off to the airport to catch their flights. Finn had to wait one hour after Felix’s flight left shortly before 9am, before he would be boarding his flight to the Scotland, and they shook hands for the last time, both with tears showing in their eyes. Felix would have a 14-hour layover in Sydney, before arriving in Wellington at 2.45pm the following day, while Finn would have a 1 ½ hour layover in Bangkok, and a 1 ¾ hour layover in London, before arriving in Edinburgh at 9.30pm the same day, or 9.30am Tuesday – Wellington time, meaning that Finn had to wait approximately another 6 hours before Felix lands in Wellington.

In the meantime, Finn had to try and convince his mother and stepfather that he was really Felix, which he was starting to find hard to do, with the accent. Finn was fast asleep in his new but strange bed in Edinburgh, when he woke to the sound of a text message on his mobile phone. “Finally arrived at Wellington airport, passed through customs no problems, with no problems, how did it go at your end?”. Finn smiled as he read the message, “Yes, all went well at this end too, after 3am here, chat to you in a couple of days, goodnight” Finn text back.

In Wellington, it was his grandparents who picked up Felix from the airport, and he took special care with what he was saying, so as not to show any Scottish accent, “I had three Scots at the camp, a boy and two girls, and we played the bagpipes together, so I’ve picked up a few Scottish words from them” Felix said to his grandparents, on the road journey to their home. Finn had explained to his twin about the arrangement where the grandparents often collect him from the school each afternoon, and sometimes stay overnight, when their dad is away on business, which is what would be happening on his first night in New Zealand.

The next morning, Felix was enjoying breakfast, when he stopped eating as he noticed Nana looking at him in a curious way, not sure how to react to this, Felix laughed, “No Nana, I am not Felix, it’s just we spent a lot of time together, and how did he put it, ah yeas, it was grand” Felix said to try and convince Nana that he was Finn. “I’m not sure if that is the truth, I have this feeling that you two boys have done a swap on us” Nana said to Felix with a frown, and Felix chuckled, I am still the same old Finn, it’s just I had such a great time with my unrelated twin, that we started to take on each other’s accents a little” Felix explained to his Nana, who gave a half smile, still not fully convinced.

With it still being school holidays in New Zealand, it had been arranged by Kyle, that Finn would stay with his grandparents during the weekdays, and come back home on the weekend, before the start of second term, which also meant the start of field hockey practice and games. So, a few days later when the first training practice arrived, Felix felt that he could be himself, as he was a skilled wing player just like Finn, and by the end of practice, he had enjoyed the training, and the coach seemed to have not noticed any changes.

Meanwhile in Scotland, Finn was trying to settle into his new school right away, having missed two days due to his international travels, and like his brother, he got along with all the same students, although he was having a little trouble understanding the accent on occasions, and he had to text Felix to try and get an explanation on some of the Scottish slang words.

On formal occasions Finn had to wear a kilt, which he had never worn in public before, and late at night at camp, Felix had taught him the correct way to put a kilt on, including all the extras, which was quite a task. Finn also had to get use to just three school terms, with an Easter and Christmas break, and mid-term breaks, while Felix had to adapt to four school terms, with end of term breaks. By the time their new school term had ended for both boys, they had settled into their new environments quiet well, with Finn now having a good Scottish accent, and Felix had lost most of his Scottish accent and gained a good New Zealand accent.

The boys chatted for about an hour twice a week on Skype, and text each other nearly every day, especially when one of them came across a problem or issue that had them stumped. As winter neared for Felix, he was surprised at how mild it was in New Zealand compared to in Scotland, while Finn was experiencing his first northern hemisphere summer, with a mid-year, 6-week summer holiday, which felt very strange for Finn.

In Mid - August, as Finn began a new school year, and his second term on Scotland, Felix was half way through his second term in New Zealand, after the 2-week long winter school holidays, both boys were enjoying their times in a new country, but they had been missing each other’s company, since the music camp last April. It was halfway through Autumn term in October, when the twins mum asked Finn what he would like to do for the two-week Christmas break, and right away he said that he would love to visit New Zealand, as his friend from camp was from there, and it sounded like a great place to visit.

Hesitant at first, Christina eventually agreed to the location, but said that it would only be the two of them, as Dad had to work at the hospital during Christmas, which Finn was very pleased to hear, but he made an effort to sound a little disappointed, that he wouldn’t be coming. Later that day he sent a quick text message to his twin brother, “Guess where mum and I are going for the two-week Christmas break?” he sent to Felix before pocketing his mobile and heading to the dining room for dinner, where about half way through dinner, he felt his mobile vibrate, and he tried to take a peak when his parents were not looking but couldn’t risk it, so he waited till he was safely back in his room.

“No idea? Switzerland? Mum took me there a couple of years ago” was Felix’s response, and Finn chuckled to himself, as he typed a reply, “LOL not even close, we are coming to NZ, Mum has taken a break from work with the orchestra, she says she is getting tired of all of the rehearsals and travelling, and that I am growing far too quickly each time she is away, when she asked where I would like to go, I said NZ, she wasn’t sure at first but eventually she agreed”. “That is awesome, I have missed being with you so much, it will be great to see you again, we need to plan a way for us to meet accidentally” Felix replied.

“Ha, ha, ha. I like you’re thinking bro” Finn responded, and from that moment, the twins started to work out a way to meet, without the parents catching on. About two weeks later, Finn confirmed, that their Mum had purchased two first class tickets, from Edinburgh to Wellington, leaving Edinburgh at 6pm on December 22nd, with a 1¾ hour layover in London, leaving there at 9.45pm, arriving in Sydney – Australia, at 6.45am on the 24th, with a 3-hour layover, leaving Sydney at 9.45am on the 24th, and arriving in Wellington at 2.55pm on the 24th.

Finn also confirmed that they have been booked into The Keep, which is a mini castle located just south of the airport, and that they would catch a taxi to their accommodation. Felix suggested that he arrange for their grandparents to collect them from the airport, and make it a surprise for everyone, and Finn liked this idea and agreed to it. As December arrived, Finn and Felix were chatting on skype, when their Nana walked into the spare bedroom, which Felix sleeps in when staying over, “Ok you two what is going on, I know you two grand-sons have something planned” Nana said to her grandsons.

Felix and Finn both looked a bit shocked at this statement, and she smiled, “Yes I have known all along that you are twins, but I have not told your Pop or father about any of this, so spill it, what are you two up too” Nana said to them in a stern voice, looking at one directly in the room, and the other via the computer screen. “Felix, since you are in Scotland, maybe you can start” Nana added, as she sat down on the edge of the bed, next to the desk, to get a better view of the screen.

Felix and Finn both chuckled, “Actually Nana, I am Felix, and that is Finn” Felix confessed, revealing for the first time that they had swapped, “Oh my goodness, Felix” Nana said as she wrapped her arms around her Scottish grandson, and tears started to flow, and when she had calmed down Finn began to speak, “Nana, please don’t be cross with us, we came up with this plan to swap, when we were at camp, and when we did the swap two days before the end of camp, not even our room-mates noticed the difference” Finn confessed to his grandmother.

“Well I am glad that you boys have had the chance to get to know one another, I was not happy about when you two were separated shortly after your second birthdays, so now tell me boys what have you two cooked up” Nana replied, “Well Nana, Mum and I are coming to NZ for the two-week Christmas break, she and step-dad have not been talking to each other much, so mum has taken some time off from the orchestra, and when she asked me where I wanted to go, I said New Zealand. She wasn’t too pleased about my suggestion at first, but when I explained that a friend from camp comes from NZ, and that it’s a beautiful place, she caved in” Finn explained.

Nana and Felix chuckled about this for a moment, before Finn continued to fill their grandmother with the details of the flight, and where they are booked in for the two week holiday, this is when Felix came in with the suggestion, that the whole family go to the airport to meet them there. “I could say to dad and pop, that my friend from camp is coming to New Zealand for a short holiday with his family, and that I would like us to collect them from Wellington Airport, and take them to their accommodation” Felix suggested to their Nana. “Yes, that may work, but they are bound to ask what their names are?” Nana asked, “well we may have to lie a little on that one” Finn said on skype.

On the evening that Christina and Finn boarded their first plane in Edinburgh, in Wellington where it was breakfast time the next day, Kyle had just returned from a business trip late the night before, and he went over to his parent’s place for breakfast with the family. “Dad, what are your plans for between now and Christmas day?” Felix asked cautiously, “Nothing son, I have no work commitments for the next ten days, so I can spend some time with my family, why do you ask son?” Kyle replied.

Felix said he was informed last night, that one of his friends from camp is coming to Wellington with his parents, for the Christmas break. They are leaving Heathrow around about now, and he is hoping that we can go to Wellington airport at 2.55pm on the 24th, to pick them up and take them to their accommodation, “I thought we could give them a tour of our fair city while we are at it too” Kyle’s mother stated with a smile. “I see no problem with that if that’s what you want to do, maybe we can take two cars so we have room for our family and their family and their luggage” Kyle replied.

While Kyle was helping with cleaning up the breakfast dishes, Felix dashed outside to send a quick text message to his brother. “Everything is set, Nana and I have convinced Dad and Pop to come to the airport to collect you, and give you a tour of Wellington and take you to your accommodation. See you on the 24th at 2.55pm”. About half an hour later, just after 8am, Felix received a reply, “Great, looking forward to seeing you again in person brother, just arrived at Heathrow, for short layover, see you in a couple of days”, Felix smiled as he read the message and pocketed his mobile, before returning to the kitchen area, where Nan looked at him, and Felix smiled and nodded his head.

It was decided that the family would celebrate Christmas lunch at Nana and Pop’s place, as they had a big dining table, Felix pretending to be Finn would spend the next couple of days with his dad, doing some Christmas shopping and plan a short camping trip to the national park. When Sunday the 24th arrived, Felix was all excited and he found it very difficult to hide his excitement from his father, who along with Pop, and their mum, had no idea what was about to happen later today.

Felix had bought some extra presents, to give to his brother, and Nana had done the same, since she was the only other one in the family who knew what was happening today. After having lunch at a restaurant in the city, the family made the short journey to the International Airport, arriving shortly after 2pm, and Nana could see that Felix was getting very nervous and fidgety, and she suggested that he go for a short walk, and come back in twenty minutes.

As soon as Felix heard the PA announcement that the Flight from Sydney had arrived, Felix raced back to the arrivals area, where the rest of the family were waiting. Nana had managed to get her son and husband to sit with their backs to the arrivals entry, and she sat opposite them, and Felix sat next to her. “Why are you so nervous Finn? You have been jumpy all day” Kyle said to his son, who looked at his Nana who smiled and nodded her head.

“Well Dad and Pop, I have something to tell you… In April when I went to the music camp, I met someone who is very special to me, we had met online and have been in contact ever since, and only my music teacher and Nana knew about it” Felix began to say nervously, and he took a deep breath before he continued, “When at camp my friend and I set a plan into motion, and that is how I came about coming back here, instead of going home to Scotland, you see I am really Felix, and it is Mum and Finn that we are here to pick up today” Felix announced.

Both Pop and Kyle looked totally shocked, and there was a moment of silence, before Kyle turned to his mother for confirmation, on what had been said. Nana smiled broadly, “I learnt about this plan only a couple of weeks ago, when Finn and Felix were making their bi-weekly skype chat. Christina has no idea that we are going to be here to collect them, it was all planned out carefully by the boys” Kyle mum announced.

“I have not spoken or heard from Christina in many years, so I’m not sure how she is going to react to this deception, and I don’t really approve of this secrecy, let alone the two of you swapping places while at camp” Kyle said to his son sternly, before he let out a loud sigh, “But it is awfully good to get to know my other son” Kyle said as he stood and pulled his son into a hug.

It was while they were hugging, that Nana spotted two familiar faces exiting the custom and quarantine area, and Finn saw his grandmother, and abandoning his luggage, he raced to her open arms. “Justine, what on earth is going on here” Christina said, as she caught up to her son, and on hearing his ex-wife voice, Kyle let go of Felix and both of them turned around. “Hello Christina, it’s good to see you again” Kyle said with a smile. On seeing Kyle and her second son, she almost fainted, stumbling a little, she grabbed her luggage trolley to keep upright, and she looked at her two sons, who were not hugging and shaking hands.

“Kyle, Finn, what on earth is going on here?” Christina said still a little shaken by the surprise, “Actually Mum, I am Finn and that is Felix, we swapped places at that music camp back in April, so we could get to know our other parent” Finn announced to his mother. “Finn? Oh Finn, I never thought I would get to see you growing up, and here you are, you have been with me for these last six months” Christina said, as she pulled Finn into a hug.

After the initial shock had passed, Kyle cleared his throat, “Don’t blame me for any of this Chris, our twin rascals here had planned it all, Dad and I only found out about this a few minutes ago ourselves, while Mum had been keeping it secret from us, that the boys had been in regular contact since early in the year via Skype, and they met up at the music camp that we sent them too” Kyle announced to his ex-wife, “I’m sorry that I kept it from all of you, but I felt that it was important that the boys get to know one another again, since they have been separated for over ten years.

Now Christina, you and the boys are invited to join us for Christmas lunch at our place, and we will lend you our car, so the twins and you can spend a few days exploring New Zealand, now let’s get loaded into the cars, and get you settled into your accommodation, I think Felix wants to join you both for one night at least, so he has an overnight bag with him” Nana announced.

The following day, Christina and her twin son’s travelled to the family home, to celebrate Christmas together for the first time in over ten years.

The End

Copyright July 2017 Preston Wigglesworth All rights reserved
  • Like 28
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you Quokka / Preston for a great story, short as it is, it is a pity you are not continuing on as it would have been good to see what happens after the holidays for them.

John D

Sydney/Australia

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Nice short story with a great ending. Would have been good to see what happens to the twins after Christmas.

Chris Oldham/UK

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I really like your stories which is why I am following you now. Can't wait to read tour future works. Especially frontier!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I would too would love to hear more about the twins maybe being able to spend their lives together like it should have been all along. Quokka is there any chances of more about them?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
quokka

Posted (edited)

Yes maybe, but at the moment, I have just started postin a new story that is 36 chapters long, and I am working on a new story, that is a continuation from a story I posted recently.

which my editor doesn’t even know about, but I bet he will be hounding me for more info, very soon.

Q

Edited by quokka
  • Like 2
Link to comment

A excelent story. The only thing I didn't get is why the parents got married in Wales.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I love the story ... Well I love the twins, maybe I have a thing for the whole twin thing. As for getting married in Wales? I'm a Yorkshire man through and through and given the chance I'd choose Wales over anywhere else. There are some stunning places there; plus the place was neutral to the two and it represented escaping. Loved it. Maybe they could have gotten married in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. 😁 (Yes that is an actual Welsh town.)

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Cool wee story, loved it. TBH only read it cos I felt guilty bout not liking and abandoning one of your other stories but glad I found and liked this one. Good stuff and thanks for the words.

Harry/NZ

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Reminds me so much of the Parent Trap.  Such a lovely story.  Really enjoyed it and brought some happy tears to my eyes.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..