Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,126 Words
  • 4,517 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Makarovia? Where The Hell Is That? Freshman Year - 26. Chapter 26

Olek and Helga came into the family room.

“Are things okay?” Olek asked looking as we were still standing.

I looked at Georg. “Are they?” I asked Georg.

Georg shook his head. “No, but it will be.” He smiled at me. “I…just need time.”

“Sure.” Peter nodded. “You’ve got it.”

 

As hard as what happened to Georg, he did listen and was willing to admit, he had been told a lie. Maybe. His aversion to Peter’s and my sexual activities had nothing to do with what he was taught about World War II, but simply ignorant straight male’s perceptions were at play here. He just had to get used to the idea. However, he was here! In Makarovia, where we were everywhere, he knew that and came anyway. He was willing to face it. You have to give him that. We did have a nice evening together and Olek was now engaging in conversations that included me, Peter and Georg. You could tell things were good between him and Helga.

We parted with our guests as they rode down the elevator.

“We need to get a new elevator,” Olek said out of nowhere but was smiling.

Peter chuckled. “We’ll put it on the list of things to have done.”

I took Peter’s hand. “So, if we’re done, can we say good night?” I asked and was about to leave.

Olek turned and looked exasperated. “Aren’t you even going to ask me about how it was for me?”

I laughed. “We have eyes. We saw the results.”

“We know it went well.” Peter nodded.

I patted Peter’s arm and brought Olek between Peter and me as we walked back through the palace. “He wants to tell us, Peter, so, how was it for you, Olek?”

Olek began beaming as we walked. “I really like her. She’s funny and smart.”

I smiled as he told me this. “Oh, no,” I said to Peter. “He’s got that dreamy look. This is serious.”

Peter nodded. “It is.” He looked at me. “Did I ever look that way?”

I shrugged.

Olek turned. “Guys! I really like her.” He grinned at Peter. “And, oh yes, you did have the look. I saw that in the hotel room that night.” He looked at me. “From you, too. That’s how I knew it was real between you two.”

I hugged Olek. “I’m happy for you. Really. I want things to work out. What’s your next plan for her?”

“You need to make a date with her,” Peter said. “This was nice, but…she should come over where it’s just the two of you.”

I shook my head. “Why are you asking us!? You’re a grown man!”

Olek looked a little embarrassed. “Yeah, well I haven’t really been able to date. It’s been a while. There are a few nice restaurants in Stryia, but…”

“Invite her here,” I said. “Our first date was the White House.”

Peter’s eyes grew as he looked around Olek. “We went places!”

“For pizza or to Walmart!” I shot back. “Our first official date was the White House!” Peter rolled his eyes at that.

Olek chuckled. “So, I should invite her back to the palace.” He nodded.

“And we’ll…just make ourselves scarce.” I said. “My hope in all this…is for you to find a companion. A friend that will help to make you happy. I can see what Helga’s done so far is doing that. You’re my only concern in this.”

“Mine, too,” Peter said. “You deserve to be happy.”

Olek grinned and nodded. “I appreciate the support.” We did that three-way, brotherly hug. “I love you two.”

“We love you, Olek,” Peter said as I nodded.

Olek smiled. “I know you do. That…means a lot to me.”

 

The next day after we got up, Peter went back down to Olek’s office to further city plans and look over the sites to build the reactors. I went back to the archives. I looked over the inventory again to categorize all these listings and make sure they were where they were supposed to be. I had seen photos in the some of the envelopes. There was another assortment of photos that were to be here. But I couldn’t find them according to where they were supposed to be. The truth was, I wanted photos of Milo and Bren. I wanted everything about Milo and Bren! Again, I saw Gretchen and asked her.

She thought hard for a few minutes. “Henry Brown was very thorough.” Then she shrugged and smiled. “I know who to call.”

As she was gone I looked at what I had. There were some photos, but none in the envelope for Milo or Bren.

It was a good few minutes when Gretchen came back. “I know where it is.” She led me to another room, there were boxes and crates. “A man worked here named Fedir Hycha. He’s retired, but he remembered Henry and worked with him. He said Henry died before he got through all of it.” It took a few minutes as she looked. “Here it is.” She pointed at three boxes cardboard boxes.

Getting them out, I gasped. There were photos and other things in the boxes. Diaries, journals, Star of Davids, military dog tags…

“Is Fedir well?” I asked her.

“Sure. He’s in his seventies, but sure.”

“Can I call him?” I asked.

She smiled. “I’ll give you the number and I’ll call for you now if you want?”

I smiled bigger. “That would be great. For both those things.”

Once the call was made, I was surprised when the man answered. He did sound sharp. People age and it sounds in their voices, but his sounded simply…male. “Hello?”

“Hello, Mr. Hycha. This is Eric Richards.”

“The Earl of Stryia!?” The man asked. “I’m honored for the call, My Lord.”

Again, I inwardly groaned at the title, but I resolved to get used to it. I explained what I’d found and what I wanted to do.

“All of Henry Brown’s findings…things given to him those months are there.” Fedir said.

“Okay,” I said. “There is one couple I’m really looking for Milo Weir and Bren Schultz.”

“Ah, yes. I knew Milo and Bren.” Fedir said.

“You did!?” I felt sudden hope!

“Sure. They came to Makarovia before I was born, but I grew up knowing them. They were a very nice couple.”

“I am so anxious to find out more about those two. For some reason, they just…reach me.”

“I know that Milo kept journals and dairy. It’s there, too. When Bren died…Milo only lasted a year or so after that. I think because Milo couldn’t stand to be apart from Bren. I really believe that.”

I was nodding, but he couldn’t see that. “I believe he did.”

“There are pictures I know,” Fedir said. “Most of them are after they got here. There’s one or two that were before they fled Germany. I can help you, if you want.”

I laughed. “If you were standing here, I’d kiss you!!”

Fedir burst out laughing. “I’m afraid my husband might object…not to mention your future husband!”

“I’ll send a car!” I said happily.

“No need. I’m in Stryia. Just give me a few minutes.”

 

It was the longest forty-five minutes I’d sat through. That’s when Gretchen came in with a man and…my eyebrows rose seeing him. I had hope for Peter seeing Fedir! This man was in his seventies!? Then again, so was my grandmother. He was a handsome man. He had silver hair, but he had hair…mostly. Why is it always the back of the head? He sharp brown eyes in a face that had the lines, but he was a fine looking person! I got up and held my hand out.

“Before you greet me!” I said to the man. “I’m getting used to the title. Can you just call me Eric?”

The man’s smile made some of the lines near his eyes increase, but it was a good smile taking my hand and shook it. “Of course, Eric.” Then he looked with an amused expression. “So, how are you getting used to the title if no one uses it?”

I let out a grunt. “You’ve made a point.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Eric,” Fedir said with one of those slight European bows.

“Do you want something to drink or eat?” I asked.

“Maybe a little scotch?” Fedir asked with one eyebrow rising higher than the other.

From his look, I was hesitant to simply grant his request. “Will I get in trouble if I do?”

“You’re royalty and Kurt doesn’t need to know.” He grinned. “That’s my husband.”

“He doesn’t want you to have a drink?”

Fedir smiled. “He took what the doctor said too far. The doctor said to be careful and not drink that much. Now Kurt took that and pretty well cut me off.” He wasn’t upset about it, just bothered.

I chuckled. “Maybe because he just wants to keep you around?”

“That’s what Kurt says!”

I patted Fedir on the arm. “I’ll get that drink.” I waved at Gretchen who was moving. I’ll get it,” I said, preventing her from going for it. Then turned back to Fedir. “One.” I held up a single finger. “One,” I said again. Passing Gretchen, I nodded to her. “Thank you.”

I had to go upstairs for the drink. Getting the drink, I came back downstairs and into the office where I saw Fedir had gone through the boxes and had things set aside. He looked up smiling at me as I handed him the single drink. He took and sipped the scotch with a slightly audible swallow and a look of satisfaction and delight on his face.

“Here you go,” Fedir said handing me another envelope and a stack of books. Leather bound mostly. “Pictures of Milo and Bren.” He touched the envelope. “Milo’s journals.” He looked at me. “Why them?”

I smiled as I opened the envelope. “I fell in love with them,” I said simply. I looked up and sighed. “You know what happened to them? To Bren?”

Fedir nodded. “I was here when Henry began going through what we got. Yes, I read it.”

“Were they happy?” I asked hoping they had no problems here. Disagreements or anything like that.

Fedir sat down. “Yes, they were happy in Makarovia.” He smiled sitting back and enjoyed more of his scotch. “They were a very devoted couple to each other.”

I nodded. “When I read what they’d done…but that they got away and came here. Marrying and stayed together for thirty-two years! I had to find out more.”

Fedir nodded and sat forward. “Like I said. I grew up here. I knew them as neighbors. They lived only a few houses down from me. I was about your age when Bren died and Milo just…quit living.” He sighed. “Everybody loved them. When I was working here and Henry was getting those things together…”

“But they were dead before Henry got here.”

Fedir nodded with a smile. “It was about five or six years after the end of the world war…most of the people that came here had…problems after what happened. We had a young woman that wanted to help. She was a psychiatrist. So, she kept urging those that got here to do something about it. Talk about it, if for no other reason than to give them some peace! She was the one that gathered most of what you have here. Henry just organized what was gotten to relay it better. The tapes were made back then, too.” He shook his head. “Bren was quiet. He would retreat into this…quiet way and just sort of disconnect.” He smiled. “But Milo could get him out of those. He was the only one that could do that. They really did love each other.”

I pulled out a larger photo of two men, in their mid-forties. One with dark hair and the other dark blondish. The bigger of the two was taller by a couple of inches. Standing with arms around each other’s backs as they smiled at the camera.

“That one is Milo.” He said about the blondish one. “The other is Bren.” He took the envelope and pulled one he didn’t even have to hunt for. It was tattered and worn, but you could still see the images. “This was carried by Milo and protected for decades. I don’t know what beach it was, this was right before they were captured, so they were about eighteen.”

I touched the image on the bigger one and then took the other carefully. Two young men at the beach, in those swimsuits of the time, the higher ones that didn’t show belly buttons? The beauty of youth was there as Bren was on Milo’s back as they horsed around. They were both bare-chested showing the musculature of healthy men that age. Big smiles on both as they were having fun!

“Oh.” I smiled at the image. “They are beautiful,” I said as I waved both pictures. “Here and here.” I didn’t mean to, but I felt the tear come to my eyes and I felt one drop onto my pants.

Fedir smiled, put his drink down and got up, pulling me up and hugged me. “That’s good.” He said hugging me. “Cry for what happened to them.”

That’s when Peter came in, saw me and froze. “What happened?”

I handed him the photos. “This is Milo and Bren,” I said to Peter.

Fedir looked at Peter but didn’t let me go. “Your Highness.” Then he pulled me away a little. “Feel sorrow for what they suffered. It was horrible, but don’t let your mind stay in 1939! Know this…they were happy…here. They loved each other for thirty plus years. They had a victory! They were happy.” He said waving at the box. “All of them had victories. Mourn for those that didn’t make it here. There were nearly a hundred thousand that didn’t make it. A very small fraction made it out alive! Of those that made it out alive, these few not only lived. They all had victory. This could be about what they went through, but look at what happened after what happened. They came here and got married! They loved each other with no problems here. They were accepted here. They lived in a long happy marriage…here. They were happy…here! Hold on to that. Understand and hate what happened to Milo and Bren in 1939, but they were victorious…here! They were happy…HERE!! Do you understand?”

I nodded. “You’re right. Theirs is a story of triumph.” I pulled Peter in. “Do you remember Fedir Hycha? He used to work here.”

Peter grinned holding his hand out. “Of course!” He said with sudden recognition now that he heard what Fedir said to me. “How’s Kurt?”

Fedir chuckled. “Fine, but will be mad at me when he smells the scotch on my breath.” He said taking his glass and swallowed what was left and enjoyed the taste. He shrugged. “But I can use my ways to get him to get him over that.” He waggled his eyebrows at me. “So, if I’m not needed anymore, I’ll go and deal with Kurt.”

I grinned. “I’m going to do it, Fedir.” I pulled his face toward mine and yes, I did kiss him gently and hugged him. Not a kiss I gave to Peter, but it was a kiss. I smiled as Peter’s eyes grew. “Thank you,” I said to Fedir

Fedir smiled. “As long as he was here when you did that.” He thumbed at Peter. “You’re welcome.” He grinned at Peter. “He’s a good kisser!”

“Do I need to worry about any of this?” Peter asked as Fedir left. “There was David and now Fedir.”

“What do you think?” I asked and pulled him in for a real kiss.

Peter grinned. “No, you’re still mine.” He looked at the photos. “So, who is who in this?”

 

I had made sure the tapes were sealed protected. Then I got on the phone again to Drew. The phone was answered quickly.

“Eric!” Drew said jovially. “What do I owe the honor of the call?”

“Drew!” I greeted. “My favorite roving reporter! I need your help.”

“You got it if I can.”

I told him about the testimonies, journals, tapes and what was in them.

“Absolutely!” Drew said immediately. “You know I cover all that fay, far and fairy shit! And this sounds like a mother-lode! Bring the tapes and photos. I’ll digitize all of it.”

“Some of the photos are sort of tattered.”

“Yes, and that’s why you need to bring them,” Drew said. “We have a lab here that can fix those photos and put the tapes on disc.”

“I don’t want to use the BBC’s equipment unnecessarily.”

“Okay, you’re still not getting it,” Drew said with an audible smirk in his voice. “What you tell me is in this stuff is news. You’re an Earl now! Get with it, Eric! You are royalty! You’re bringing us the story! We’ll gladly do it. Hell, those big guys upstairs in those higher offices will be pulling their pants down and begging for you to give it to them!”

I laughed, he was outspoken and he didn’t hold back. “Drew.”

“I mean it!” Drew said. “Now is this exclusively Makarovian story wise?”

“We were putting them on our website. It’s not exclusive anything. We want the world to know.”

“Can I do a report on it?” Drew asked. “I have to ask. Reporters can be like a bunch of bitchy little girls when it comes to what and who reports what.”

“Sure. Report.” I said. “We’ll be leaving Makarovia before the upcoming fall semester, so we can come the week before?”

“Great!” Drew said immediately. “You two are welcome to stay with Wayne and me.”

“That’s fine, I’d love to, but will you have room for our security?”

“Oh, right,” Drew said sadly. “Well, you can come for dinner!”

“We’ll be delighted!”

“And I get to watch Wayne panic!” He said happily. “He’s a damned fine cook but will be fretting over the menu, the neatness of our house and all that. I can’t wait to tell him.”

“You like to torture Wayne?” I asked, knowing the truth.

“Nah, I just like to watch him panic occasionally. He’s fun to watch!”

“Don’t terrorize him.” I chuckled. “We’re just good friends coming by.”

I could see Drew nod in my mind and his voice took on a more serious, heartfelt tone. “We are good friends, Eric. You and Peter are doing something amazing. We look forward to seeing you two.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 20
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am more interested in the struggles of nation building in Makarovia. Roads, power plants, hospitals, schools, issues with children, undemployment, homelessness, Russian intrigue and espionage. The story is getting bogged down in the romantic discussion of gay persecution of the past. I hope the next ten chapters are not all about it. We the readers are being introduced to this brave new world called Makarovia but all I read so far is a rather myopic view and account of it. I am hardly an author myself. What I am is an armchair critic which means squat really. Mostly I whine, sorry. But I do hope the story would move on to other things. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, back2basics said:

I am more interested in the struggles of nation building in Makarovia. Roads, power plants, hospitals, schools, issues with children, undemployment, homelessness, Russian intrigue and espionage. The story is getting bogged down in the romantic discussion of gay persecution of the past. I hope the next ten chapters are not all about it. We the readers are being introduced to this brave new world called Makarovia but all I read so far is a rather myopic view and account of it. I am hardly an author myself. What I am is an armchair critic which means squat really. Mostly I whine, sorry. But I do hope the story would move on to other things. 

There's a lot more coming, but the past is being addressed and the discomfort of some...Germans...is part of it.  There is a lot of love in this, but I'll have to fast forward to get to it.  I'll get to it.  Trust me.  I'm writing in the next chapter adding what you said.  Just for YOU!!!

Edited by R. Eric
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Excellent chapter and writing. Fedir's right you know.  'Mourn for those who did not make it,' and be happy for those who did make it and were able to have good lives together. I had to reread this chapter, because it is perhaps the most important chapter so far and presages what is to come.  I am in awe of your storytelling, R.Eric. This is important groundwork for the future.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Great new chapter! I am so hoping that good things are to come for poor lonely Olek. I truly hope this woman will be good to him.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was another really fantastic chapter. I'm glad that Eric has some help with the organization of all of the testimonials. Fedir seems to know what's in all of the boxes, the photos, tapes, and testimonials. I'm sure that when Eric & Peter take all of the boxes with them and give them to Drew so he could take all of the photos, tapes and testimonials and digitize them he'll be able to put a great story to report about. I really think Fedir said it right when he said to mourn those who didn't make it and to remember those who who had a victory. Those who made it out were happy because they had a victory and they lived happy productive lives. I'm also happy for Olek as he might've found someone who he could settle down with and possibly have an heir to pass the crown to when the time comes. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I agree that this was another fantastic chapter. The way that Eric found the photos was that he went to the archives and he searched the room for them only they weren’t there, Henry Brown was doing the research on these people who fled their home countries in order to be safe and to live in peace. Milo and Bren did just that after they came to Makarovia they were married and had more than thirty years together as a couple. I’m glad that Gretchen remembered that Fedir was an assistant to Henry and he knew exactly where to find what Eric wanted, after telling Gretchen where the pictures and journals were and she took Eric there, Eric called Fedir and asked if he could possibly come and help him with finding the pictures of Milo and Bren. Fedir came in and got the pictures and journals that Eric wanted and as Eric looked at the pictures he started to cry a little bit and Fedir told him it was ok to cry but cry over the memory of what happened to these people but to leave that in the past and remember that they came to Makarovia and had a great life together that they wouldn’t have had in Germany. I think that was the best advice anyone could have gotten if they were reading about someone escaping Germany so they could have a life without fear of being a prisoner again and face the same death they fled in order to have. I agree with Drew that Eric is bringing him a story like no other so using the resources available to the BBC isn’t going to be a problem especially when Eric is now considered royalty. I hope that Drew is able to get alot of the journals translated as well as the pictures restored to near mint condition, Eric and Peter are going to be going back to Boston and agreed to stop in London so they could leave all of the items that Eric found in the archives written by the people who came to Makarovia to flee the persecution they got in their respective countries. All of the photos and written testimonials are going to be put on the website for Makarovia, which I believe is the best way to remember these people, which is the right thing to do. Now onto the next chapter.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

If Olek marries and has a male offspring that really muddies the waters about Eric's inheritance because then there would be an heir with direct lineage while Eric's claim would be by marriage only. But I don't know enough about the inheritance of titles to say for sure!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Eric I become a matchmaker 😂❤️ King Olek is falling for the doctor maybe…….???? There would be an heir for him.
Eric is also going to be a historian finding out what has happened to all those gay men in world war ll. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..