Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 7,227 Words
  • 2,926 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Matt Stryker - 5. Chapter 5

Eric opens his restaurant. The Matt and Eric decide it's time to come out. To know what happens, you've got to read.

The night of the Grand Opening came. I dressed in a tux, so did Matt. Everyone else was dressy, but not formal. Which is what I insisted on. Matt was the investor, as far as the world was concerned. I cut the ribbon and opened the door and we walked in. Matt gaped.

“This is beautiful.” He said softly.

Gone was the feeling of heavy and dark. The place was done in a lot of glass and brass. It was bright and gleamed. There was even a patio where diners could eat with a view of the ocean and the sun setting. The windows were clean and the whole place shined.

“Thanks,” Mary said behind us. Mark on her arm.

The evening wasn’t without its problems. I handled each as they arrived. Ticket issues, as in someone hadn’t handed in a ticket for a table and their dishes were delayed. I had hired additional servers and bussers. Tiffany was doing great seating people. I was able to sit very little. I had a line service issue when Jerry had me come help get things ready. I had just sat down again when one of the servers came up.

“You’ve been busy, but I have an issue with table 12. Or rather, they have an issue with another table.” She began.

I followed her to the table in question. Reaching the table I saw a well-dressed man and his date. The man looked upset. “What can I do for you?”

The man pointed at a nearby table and asked loudly in indignation. “I didn’t know this was going to be that sort of place.”

I turned and saw two men looking puzzled. And I was equally puzzled. “I don’t understand.”

“They’re gay!” The man said as if saying that made it clear.

“And?” I asked.

“They could carry AIDS.” The man pointed out loudly. From his accent, I could tell he was from the South. Anything else I didn’t need or want to know.

I inhaled. Calming breaths I said to myself. “I understand that is a concern of yours. This is L.A., gay men are everywhere. Not only in L.A., around the world. So, I should refuse service to these gentlemen because they could carry the AIDS virus? Personally, I don’t care. I refuse to not serve someone based on a fear they may carry a virus. If I did that, I couldn’t serve you. By your own logic, I couldn’t. I don’t know what you’ve got. I don’t know that they carry as much as cold. I’m happy they each found someone to share a nice evening with and chose to spend it here. I refuse to say you must be white, straight and protestant to eat here. Gay, straight, lesbian, black, Asian or any other race or group, Christian, Hebrew, Muslim, Atheist, Buddhist. All will be welcomed here. Including the ignorant and uninformed.” I meant this moron. “If you are uncomfortable with that, you don’t have to eat here.” I turned and was walking away.

“We’re sorry we caused a problem.” One of the gentlemen stopped me to say.

I smiled patting him on the shoulder. “You didn’t. He did. Enjoy your meal, gentlemen.” I pointed to the bottle of wine at their table. “The wine is compensated.” I waved and told their server. As I headed back, I saw two more people come in. “Mom! Dad! I didn’t know you were coming!”

Hugging Mom and Floyd. Mom was smiling grandly. “And miss your opening night? I don’t think so.”

“Where’s Jennifer?” I asked.

“We left her with Grandma.” Mom said. “They’ll come out another time, but they wanted to come.” Mom looked around. “This is so beautiful.”

“We had our cab driver break laws to get here.” Floyd pointed out. Then Floyd waved and I saw Matt, Mark, and Mary standing to wave to us.

“We’re packed. I’ll get you a chair. You can have my place, Mom.” Then Tiffany pushed in a bit.

“I didn’t know this was your Mom!” She marveled. “You had him at twelve, right?”

Mom kind of nodded. “About then yes.”

“You look wonderful,” Tiffany said. “There’s a table for six clearing. We can move the Strykers and they can sit there.”

I nodded. “Thanks, Tiff.”

We had a lot of celebrities. Four mayors and a state senator. They only came because someone told them so and so was going to be there. But the restaurant was hit!

We got nothing but positive feedback. Including a celebrity that came over to speak to me.

“Dinner was just wonderful,” Linda said, and she meant it.

I smiled pulling Mom over. “Well, this is the woman to thank. She taught me all I know. This is my mother, Betty Hiott. Mom, I believe you know Linda Evans when you see her.”

“What he said is not true.” Mom smiled shaking hands with Linda. “I taught him basics, but he ran with it.”

“Then you’re the one I need to speak with,” Linda concluded, looking at Mom. “I was reading the back of the menu. Nothing here was served that was chemically altered or processed. It said you raise organic herbs and spices. That you have a cure for almost anything.”

“Pretty much.” Mom nodded.

And that was it. Mom was advising on how to boost energy. What to take to slim or gain weight.

Then I was suddenly body slammed by Maxine O’Neil. “See!? This is what I knew you could do! I knew it! This is amazing!”

“Thanks.” I grinned. “We’re booked solid the rest of the month and well into the next month.”

Maxine kissed me. “Thank god I found you before you started a place of your own. Thank you.”

 

I hit the bed hard that night. Or should I say morning? Clean up is always a bitch. I felt Matt roll over toward me.

“You did really good work tonight,” Matt said quietly getting up and turned so he was kneeling behind me on the bed and began massaging my shoulders. “Man, you’re tense.”

I chuckled enjoying his fingers as the kneaded my sore muscles. “Well don’t start something you can’t finish.” I joked. “If you do that, I’ll expect one every night.”

He kissed my shoulder. “And I will gladly give it.” He pulled me back against him. I was lying across his chest. “You did yourself proud tonight. I’m proud of you, Baby.”

And don't you know it? I fell asleep in minutes. I must have gotten old.

 

We were open for dinner Wednesday through Sunday and had brunch for Saturday and Sunday. I still had school and Matt. It was a couple of months after that when I found her. Quite by accident. Charlene Anderson. This woman was a superstar and gorgeous. Supermodel turned actor. Blonde hair and green eyes with a figure men only dream of. I came around a corner to bring Matt his lunch when I saw her kissing another woman. Women are hard to catch, but this was not just a friendly kiss. Okay, I spied. I didn’t say anything then, but I got Matt and practically drug him to follow me. He really didn’t know what I wanted to show him, but we arrived at Charlene’s dressing room. After a moment after I knocked the door opened.

“Matt!” Charlene saw him first. Naturally. “Aren’t you on another set?”

I nodded for him. “He is, but hear me out, please,” I asked and we were ushered in.

“I have fifteen minutes,” Charlene said.

“I know,” I said. Then I turned to Matt and kissed him passionately right in front of her.

His breath caught and he almost pushed away, but…what can I say? He began to kiss back. Charlene’s eyes grew. Then I turned to Charlene. “I did that so you know I’m not pulling a game, trying to blackmail you or something else.”

Charlene looked puzzled. “And you are?”

“Eric Richards,” I said putting my hand out. “Matt’s nutritionist, personal manager…”

“And my life partner.” Matt finished for us and taking my hand. “Has been almost five years.”

Charlene’s eyes narrowed and she nodded. “Oh, I see.”

“The other day I was delivering Matt’s lunch.” I began explaining.

“Which was awesome, by the way,” Matt added.

“Thanks,” I said absently. “I stumbled in where I saw you kissing a woman, very passionately I might add. I believe we can help each other out.”

Charlene nodded. “I think I know what you’re going to say, but go ahead.”

“Isn’t it obvious? Do you worry that the person that comes around the corner isn’t going to be sympathetic? We’re empathetic, we’re in the same damned boat here.” I stressed.

Charlene groused. “Constantly on guard. Never show emotions for the other in public.” Charlene nodded knowing it well, then narrowed her eyes at Matt. “Debra said there was more here than meets the eye with you two. And that you, Matt, were too pretty.” She grinned at Matt.

Matt sat up straighter. “Pretty!?” Sounding a little indignant.

“Too perfect,” Charlene said with a smile. Then she sat forward. “You are pretty, Matt. You could almost convert me. But the roles you play and the life from viewed by outsiders is perfect. Too perfect.” Then she laughed. “I guess all that bickering with you two is all an act?”

Matt frowned. “Almost an act.” I jabbed him in the gut, but Matt continued. “I’m being truthful when we argue sometimes. There are times I want to eat that jelly donut, damn it!”

I grinned at him. “I know. But you hired me for a job and I’m doing it.” I kissed him gently. Then pressed heads together as we often did. “I do compensate.”

Charlene shook her head smiling. “Okay, before you say what that is, because I don’t need to know. I had looked for a man to do this with. Do you think it will work with Matt and me?”

“How could it not!?” I waved to the two of them. “You’re both beautiful. Are you sexually attracted to him?” I asked her pointing at Matt.

She shook her head. “Not really.”

“And are you attracted to her?” I asked Matt pointing at Charlene.

“Nah, you’re it for me,” Matt said with a grin.

“But you both have acted like you were with others. Were they attractive to you?” I looked at the two of them. They were both shaking their heads. “You both deserve Oscars. So we need to come together and start things rolling. Are we agreed?”

“You’re not the boss of me,” Matt grumbled with a grin.

“I am so.” I frowned. “You want to continue acting? We do this.” Matt saluted.

 

We scheduled a dinner on that next Monday. Everybody was off the next day. Mark and Dillon were going to be there but would be making themselves scarce. And I was in the kitchen when the bell rang.

“I’ll get it!” Matt called coming down the stairs.

“Tell the neighborhood!” I shot back just as loud.

Matt stuck his head in the doorway. “Oh, be quiet,” Matt said good-naturedly and left to answer the door.

“That was my point.” I grinned.

Then I heard “Hey! Welcome, come in.” Then he and Charlene and I guessed the other woman was Debra that came in. Debra was a little…butch. Pretty, but it was clear who was the male role in the relationship. Then I kicked myself, I had assumed. Just like everyone else does. “Charlene, you remember Eric,” Matt said walking to me and put his arm around me.

Charlene walked over and shook my hand. “I’ll never forget. That was quite a kiss he laid on you, Matt. Hi. This is Debra Steinberg. My life partner.”

The dark hair and eyes, a beautiful woman. Just a little masculine. Even the suit she wore, though nicely cut for her features was a business suit and a little masculine.

“Debra.” Charlene introduced. “This is Matt’s life partner, Eric Richards.”

Debra stuck her hand out to me. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Eric is part owner and head chef of To Your Health West,” Charlene said to impress.

Debra raised an eyebrow. “I dare say dinner will be nothing short of spectacular then.” Then her gaze narrowed as she looked at me. “You’re very young to be a chef and owner.”

“Eric’s opened and ran a lucrative business at thirteen.” Matt bragged.

I felt myself flush. “I’m a cook now, in May I graduate from Le Cordon Bleu.”

Debra smiled. “Still, that’s pretty impressive. To Your Health West is the hottest new restaurant in town.” She looked around. “A lovely home in Beverly Hills, a great business. Things are going well. I’d say that is impressive for anyone…much less someone so young.”

I nodded as I agreed. “A lot is due to Matt.”

Matt shook his head. “No, he would have been a success with or without me. I just helped push it along.”

“I asked Charlene what you would or wouldn’t eat. I hope Balsamic Glazed Salmon on Baby Arugula is okay.”

Debra inhaled. “Things smell wonderful.”

“So what do you do, Debra?” Matt asked.

Debra smiled. “I’m an attorney.”

“A damned good one.” Charlene injected.

Suddenly Dillon came running in. Matt grabbed him as he was going by. “And this is our nephew, Dillon.”

Mark strode in to catch his son. “Sorry, he got away from me.”

“And my brother, Mark Stryker.” Matt introduced. “Mark, Charlene Anderson, and Debra Steinberg.”

Mark smiled gathering Dillon up who giggled as his father picked him up. “It’s a pleasure, Ladies.”

“I just wanted some juice.” Dillon protested.

 

We talked about a lot of issues. Such as when we were going public with this. There were movie offers on Matt’s table. One was a remake of the Beauty and the Beast with a modern twist. He was allowed to make a leading lady request, which he doesn’t do, normally. He was going to make one this time. Charlene and Matt had good chemistry, got along very well. There was to be a “chance” meeting. At To Your Health West. They would have a long dinner and see that people noticed.

At the end of the evening, Matt groaned. “I hate that we have to do this.”

“Actors have done this for decades,” Debra said. “Hiding not only homosexuality but ethnics. We couldn’t have our leading men or ladies be Jewish or Latino. Women have it rough, too, but not like the men.”

I nodded. “It’s just a shame that their work can’t stand alone. Matt’s a superb actor, I’ve seen a few shows that Charlene has done. They’re both wonderful at what they do.”

Charlene grinned. “Well, this will help you and me. I should get more roles after being seen with Matt.” She waggled her eyebrows.

 

We began and it was noticed that Matt and Charlene were being seen together. I did graduate in May. And so many people were asking me for recipes. It wasn’t that hard, I thought. But I was asked to appear on a morning talk show for L.A. and I did. Then they demanded the recipes even more. So, I wrote a book.

I was even invited to appear on the Today show with Matt so I could show that everyone could be as healthy as Matt, if they cooked as I instructed, that is. The appearance was to promote Matt’s new movie and my new book of recipes. That and to give an explanation to the world why I was with Matt so much. Matt was appearing more and more on the silver screen and TV. Everything Matt did was not always gold. He did a few Independent Films. And there were spots on TV, like the Klingon part he played on Star Trek: The Next Generation. He could do big and a little mean. He did some roles that flopped, but not many. He was repeatedly asked to pose for Playgirl, but refused. Matt said, being nude in a scene or two was one thing. To show everyone your dick just so they could see it, was another. To Your Health was doing so well, they wanted one in San Francisco. So we opened one there. Charlene and Matt became the IT couple to emulate. And Matt asked her to marry him. That went viral! Especially when Charlene was seen purchasing a pregnancy home test, trying to be secret about it, or that’s how she played it. Even my mother called on that one.

“Is everything okay with Matt and you?” She asked concerned.

“Everything’s fine. Why?” I asked wondering why she would think things weren’t.

“I just read where this Charlene Anderson is said to be carrying Matt’s love-child.” Mother said cautiously.

I should have told her. I laughed at what Mom was reading. “That was a good idea on Debra’s part, don’t you think?”

“Debra? Debra Who?”

“Charlene’s lesbian life partner,” I answered. “The pregnancy scare was her idea. A good one, I might add.”

Mom blew a breath. “You mean, you and some people are doing this?”

“We sort of have to,” I answered. “If we don’t give them something to see, the press is all too determined to find out more on their own. They begin to make things up. It’s survival here. This city is the place for illusion, we’re just giving them something to focus on.”

“I just had to be sure.” Mom said sounding relieved.

“We’re fine,” I assured. “You’ll hear about it soon, so…they’re moving in together.”

“What!?”

“We’re looking for a place that we can all move into,” I explained. “Matt and me, Debra and Charlene.”

“All in the same house?” Mom asked.

“It’s the only way,” I said. “There are many nights Charlene and Debra spend here, but Matt and Charlene are seen coming in and Charlene leaving in the morning. From our guest room.”

“If it works.” Mom said. “I was just concerned about this.”

“Which tells me what we’re doing is working fine,” I said. “Matt and I are solid. We’re still very much in love.”

“I should have guessed. That man loves you so much. I know you love him, so…know your Mother is just being a mother.”

“I know,” I said. “Thanks.”

 

When Matt was away on location and I was home, there was a lot of downtime. I wrote. It was more cathartic than anything. So, when I came home on Sunday night. I was surprised to see Matt was there reading something on our bed.

“I wasn’t expecting you until next week.” I greeted kissing him.

“Hi, Sweetie!” Matt smiled at me, pulling me down. “We finished early.” He said. Then held up what he was reading. “This is good!”

“Thanks.” I grinned. A little embarrassed.

Matt looked at me seriously. “No. I mean it really good. A woman, who is both Jewish and a Cherokee.” He shook his head in disbelief. “What a plot!”

I ducked a little. “I love people who struggle to belong.”

“I know!” Matt nodded. “But a child, whose mother was in Germany of Hebrew descent, a marine who is Cherokee and they meet, fall in love at the beginning of World War II and he smuggles her out to keep her alive.”

“She struggles for acceptance with her Jewish roots and Cherokee. Neither accepts her at first.” I smiled. “That’s the struggle.”

“I am serious. This is good. I mean, publish it, good.” Matt said. “Give it to your agent. Ross will know what do to.”

Ross, my agent with the publisher did non-fiction, but he knew who to send it to. They loved it. As if things weren’t busy enough, now I had a book out.

Then came my ten-year high school reunion. Ten years!

“You should go,” Matt said insisted.

“Without you,” I argued.

“I’ll be in Charleston. But yes, without me.”

 

I went. Everyone wanted to know what life was like in Beverly Hills, who I’d met. Everyone knows a large part of any high school reunion is to see how well the other is doing. I couldn’t tell them most of it. Yes, I still worked with Matt, but that was all I could say about Matt. I told them about the two restaurants and an upcoming third. I told them about my books. Both the cookbook and fiction. But nothing about Matt and me.

Mark and Mary seemed to visit each other a lot. Mark, who long since had gotten off parole, often flew to Atlanta and Mary visited twice a year in L.A. We all knew what was happening there. She’d just married the wrong Stryker, that’s all. Matt and Mark were a lot alike, so the confusion was natural. Hah!

The option for another Scarred movie was never offered. So, I submitted a screenplay based on a story Matt and I came up with. I’d never done one but gave it try. Then Matt and I decided to finance the movie ourselves.

We did find a home. It was an eight-bedroom home out toward Malibu. A Mediterranean home that had two master suites. I had never had a bedroom that had its own foyer. It was huge! It even had an indoor tree house when the kids came to visit.

 

It was one evening when Matt and I had relaxed after dinner in our suite of rooms at home. He was looking over some scripts he’d been sent and I was working on a rewrite for a new book as we sat up in bed.

“I want to have a child,” Matt said suddenly out of the blue.

I raised my eyebrow at that statement. “Unless they radically change human biology, we can’t.”

“There are other means.” Matt ventured.

I sat up more, closing my laptop and looked at him. “And how do we do that?” I asked. “Do we hire a surrogate?”

Matt pulled me over to him. “I want a child with you.”

“Try as we may, we can’t have a child together as many times as try to knock each other up.”

Matt smirked. “I know. But wouldn’t you like a child of your own? A little version of you running around?”

I hated to admit it, but I never let myself think about it. It wasn’t going to happen. “We had Dillon.”

Matt nodded with a sigh. “Having him was great. But he’s Mark’s son. I want one of my own.”

“I would love one, but how would we do it?”

Matt shrugged kissing me lightly. “I’ve thought about it. There is a way. Would you be willing to do it?”

Kissing him easily. “Absolutely. This won’t involve either of us being intimate with anyone else, would it?”

He laughed and shook his head. “No, we wouldn’t be intimate with anyone else. But it would involve someone else.”

I knew enough about invitro and other fertilization means. “Donated eggs?” I asked was the only possibility.

Matt nodded. “Donated eggs and a donated womb. And the two don’t have to be the same. We can get the eggs. Have them fertilized and implanted in a womb. Of course, we’d pay for it.”

He had thought about it. “You’re serious.”

“Of course,” Matt said.

As we often did, foreheads came together. Our faces close enough to feel each other breath. “I would love a child. Your child. Do you know where to rent a portion of a woman’s body?”

“Your child, too.” Matt corrected. “I have some more research to do about that.”

I took the script he was reading and tossed it aside. I straddled him and looked him in the eyes. “If we do.” I kissed him. “We’ll be letting the world know we’re a couple. We’ll be out.”

Matt sighed. “Aren’t you tired of living like this?” His arms wrapped around me. “Damn it! I want to go out for dinner with you, and I don’t mean just having dinner with a friend. I want to go dancing. I’m proud of you. You’re an amazing man, Eric. I would love to tell everyone that you belong to me. And how much I love you.”

“I’d love to do that, too. We’ve been together over ten years now.” I thought about it. “To walk hand in hand down the street…not caring if anyone sees or knows.” I nodded. “That would be awesome. But if we start a family, we will be out.”

Matt grinned rolling us so he was on top. “Fine with me.” He picked the script up. “This movie role…” he waved it over me. “The character’s gay.”

I laughed. “You have to kiss a man?”

“Several times.” Matt grinned. “And one scene they’re shown doing a little more.”

I pulled him down and kissed him. “You think you can portray a gay man on screen?”

“We can work on the scene in question right now," Matt suggested. “Of course, I play the top.”

My eyes widened. “Oh really?” I chuckled.

Matt shrugged. “I guess they thought my character was too manly to bottom.”

“Who wrote this crap?” I laughed at the idiotic notion. “I need to call them and tell the truth about you. Too manly my ass.”

Matt laughed with me. “I’m not manly?”

“Manly, butch or whatever….sure, but just because you are, you can’t bottom?” I asked. “Probably written by some closeted gay men who have to live their fantasies through characters they create and never come out of their rooms, masturbating to gay porn.”

Matt nodded. “Most likely. So, is that a no to rehearsing the scene?”

“If you bottom.”

“It’s a lousy script for a lousy movie.” Matt grinned kissing me. “We don’t need a script. I’d bottom for you any time.”

I LOVED THIS MAN!!

 

It was a few more years before the subject of children came up again. Mark and Mary did get married. Duh. A blind person could have seen that coming. It was on the 4th of July gathering that Mary announced she was pregnant. She was an older mother, but as she said, it was now or never. That was when Matt brought it up.

“Kind of scary to realize you’re carrying my nephew.” Matt joked with Mary.

“And mine.” I chuckled. I took Matt’s hand. “We finally will have a common family member.”

“Eric and I were looking into having one ourselves,” Matt said looking to the others to see their reactions.

Floyd who had been listening passively scrunched his face when he heard that. “You can’t.”

I laughed. “We can,” I told him what we’d found out. “The donor eggs would come from somewhere else. All we need is a woman to bare it.”

Mother shook her head. “Who?”

“I will,” Tammy said suddenly.

This surprised everyone. Including me. Tammy and her husband had two children already. Tammy was now in her mid-twenties and a lovely woman. Even her husband, Barry, balked a little at the announcement his wife made.

“You will?” Barry asked.

Tammy patted her husband’s knee. “You know the best I ever felt was when I was carrying Brent and Baily. We don’t want another child, but if by doing this, Matt and Eric can have a child, why not?”

“Because it’s dangerous!” Barry said firmly.

“He’s right, Sweetie,” Earl said. “There could be all sorts of problems.”

“You think I don’t know that?” Tammy asked laughing. “There can be problems crossing the street.” She told her father. “There’s always a risk.” Then turned to her husband. “Remember when you asked me to marry you?”

Barry nodded. “Yeah.”

“The first thing I told you was, I would if you answer this question right. I asked you if my family had a secret, could you keep it.”

“I have no problem with your cousin is gay. You know that. Or that his life partner was Matt Stryker. I kept that secret.” Barry said.

“But in fact, you did have a problem,” Tammy said. “You didn’t think two men could love a lifetime.” She pointed at me and Matt. “Well, there they are. They have been together for nearly twenty years! They showed me what it was to love. Mom and Dad were great. But these two have been through so much to stay together. If I can do something for them. I win. I get to be pregnant again. They get a child. It’s a win, win!”

“But he’s your cousin.” Barry objected.

“Weren’t you listening?” Tammy sighed with a light laugh. “It wouldn’t be my egg. So not my DNA. All I would do is carry it and give birth. Though that doesn’t mean Matt is out, but I don’t think Eric would like that.”

I grinned. “Damn straight,” I growled.

“I’ll be giving birth, that’s all.” Tammy smiled.

“That’s all, she says.” My grandmother said bitterly. Then she shrugged. “Well, she did have a remarkably easy pregnancy. And pretty quick deliveries.”

Matt held his hand up. “But wait. Hear this first. We’re planning on one of each, as in…one will be mine and one Eric’s, so there will more than likely be twins if all goes according to plan.”

Pat reached over to her daughter. “Are you sure?”

Tammy nodded. “Absolutely.” Tammy then looked pleading to her husband. “Please. I’m not asking your permission to do this, but let me see. I’m going to do it if I can.”

“If this family wasn’t hard enough to figure out.” Granddad shook his head. “My daughter is the sister-in-law of her ex-husband, who is my ex-son-in-law.” He looked at Tammy. “Now what’ll you be?”

“A happy cousin.” Tammy grinned. “Don’t worry Granddad. It’ll all be good. And you get yet another grandchild.”

“Or two!” Mom laughed.

“A great-grandchild.” Grandmother patted his hand.

“This is so cool!” My sister, Jennifer said happily. “My cousin is maybe giving birth to her own cousin!”

“This is going to be expensive, isn’t it?” Floyd asked.

Matt gave a shrugging nod. “Well, yeah. The medical part alone is, plus arrangements to have the eggs fertilized and…”

“All it took to get you, Jenn was a bottle of wine and some Barry White CD’s” Floyd smiled at his daughter.

Jennifer rolled her eyes. “Thanks for the mental image, Dad.”

“Wait.” Pat said. “If you two have a child…or children together. How will this be a secret?”

Matt nodded. “It won’t be.”

“Matt and I will come out to everyone,” I explained. “No more secrets, no more hiding.”

Jennifer shouted with joy. “And I can say Matt Stryker is my brother!! Yes!!” She rushed over and hugged Matt.

 

Tammy passed the medical part with no problem. Then who knew how to get a donated egg? I didn’t. But the fertilization clinic did. The only thing we requested was it be the same egg donor. If there were twins, they would at least be related that way. In the few weeks that passed, Matt and I made our contributions needed and two eggs were fertilized and implanted. It was of course a few more weeks before we got the call. Tammy was pregnant!

 

We did another sequel to Scarred. Another was in the works. Matt won that year for Best Actor. He for a part he played as a Vietnam Veteran.

Then he invited Charlene and Debra to dinner at the house we all shared, so no problem. I wasn’t told what Matt planned. So when I put dinner on the table, I was surprised when they showed up. They usually ate in their suite.

“What’s going on?” I asked Matt. Charlene and Debra looked interested, too.

“I think…” Matt began. “You and I need to come out of the closet soon.”

I was stunned. “What!?” I knew it was going to happen, but hearing him say that just surprised me.

Debra nodded and Charlene smirked.

Matt looked at me. “Baby, we’re going to be parents. When our babies are born, we won’t be able to hide it anymore. How can we keep them a secret? We need to come out. We can walk down the street shopping or at the theater, hand in hand. No more hiding our feelings!”

I sat down. “Yes, but to just come out. After all these years.”

“I was going to tell you.” Debra began smiling. “I’ve been thinking. You two have been engaged for a while. You and Matt.” She said to Charlene. “Either he does it by marrying you. Or you two break up.”

Charlene nodded. “You are such a fake, Matt.” She chuckled. “You not only cheated on me but cheat with him!” She smiled as she sat down. We knew she was joking. “Sweet little o’ me never suspected a thing!” She said in her best Southern drawl. Then batted her eyes. “Seriously, you and Eric deserve this. We’ll survive.” She said taking Debra’s hand.

“See?” Matt said pleadingly to me. “But if we are going to be Dads, we should come out. We have to come out or produce a plausible mother.”

I held my hand up. “Okay, okay, you’re right. Can we wait until Scarred 5 finishes?”

Matt grinned. “You could write our story.” He suggested. “Tell the whole thing. When the babies arrive. You’ve only got six months or so, so get cracking.”

“That would work.” Charlene agreed. “Everyone makes up their own story. Why not give them one?” She squeezed Debra’s hand again. “I think we should come out, too.”

Debra looked surprised. “Are you sure?”

“I am,” Charlene said with confidence. “And, I think we should get married. It’s legal now.”

Matt grinned at them. “So, we’re good, right?”

 

The book was done in a rush. The writing and rewrites. But it was done a month before the show. Gina: Live in New York

 

Today: Gina, Live in New York

 

Gina had gotten me to tell a few things about what I said in my book. Then she stopped everyone.

“Now, they have another surprise.” Gina said. She pointed to a screen that came down. “If you all will take a look at the monitor.”

Two little faces appeared. Being held by my mother and Tammy. Both in blue. There were a lot of “awws.”

“This is Charles and Kenneth,” I said feeling a sense of pride at seeing them. “Our sons. Matt’s and my sons.” I couldn’t help but be proud. “They are now one month of age. Both named after our fathers.”

“One each,” Matt said proudly. “They are brothers. The same lady donated the eggs, so they are brothers. One is mine and one is his.”

The audience was applauding now.

“That’s wonderful!” Gina marveled. “This has been an amazing show!”

Then Matt held up his hand. “Well, it’s about to get more interesting.” He chuckled, and I rarely see him falter, but he cleared his throat, swallowed and turned to me. “Eric. You know how much I love you.”

My heart rate shot up. I knew what he was about to do.

“For nearly twenty years we have been a part of each other’s lives. Good and bad times.” Matt began. “You are my best friend, my lover…I would never have become the man I am today without you by my side. You’ve supported me and kept me sane from the moment we met. You know my heart. Hell, no one knows me better than you do. We’ve lived our lives as a secret for so long, but now, I’m stating for the whole world to hear. I want to marry you, Eric.”

Now there was such a surge in my chest, my heart was pounding in my chest. And Matt was becoming blurred! Was I crying? I only cried a few times when in deep emotional pain. I never cried because I was happy! I can’t say that now because I’ve never been this happy, I do cry then apparently. Then I watched him get off the sofa we were sharing and he got down on both knees, not one, but both knees! There were a few yelps from the audience as they also knew what was going to happen. He reached in a pocket and took a small box from his pants pocket and opened it. What it was I couldn’t see until later.

“I’m asking in front of the whole live audience for you to marry me.” Matt was choking almost as he spoke the words. He was a good actor, but this was no act. “Will you marry me, Eric?”

My heart was bursting now. I had no idea he was going to do this! “Yes!” I nodded wiping the tears from my face, and then his. “Yes, yes, yes!” My arms brought him to me as I kissed him hard, which he immediately returned with as much force. A part of my mind imagined the girl that had done our makeup to keep the shine off while we were on camera, tossing her makeup brush and pad away in futility. We were both now messed up, makeup wise. The audience was now going crazier than before when we kissed the first time! Applause and cries of excitement and cat-calls. Gina finally had to get up and hold her hands out.

“We’ll be right back!” She had to shout to be heard over the noise.

 

After the show ended, Gina hugged me and Matt. “This has been the greatest presentation! I just am so thrilled you did this here. Congratulations. I just know things are going to be fine.” Then she smiled at me. “And you were worried about how this news would affect people. I’d say from the audience reaction, they are 100% behind you two.”

I nodded. “Well, we were cautious from the beginning about us.”

“Actors can be gay now, but it was only a few years ago before a man could kiss a man on the TV screen.” Matt pointed out. “My career had to be built. Now that it has, we can move forward.” He smiled at me, taking my hand. “As a married couple. No more hiding.”

I looked at Matt. “And how did you know I’d say yes?” I grinned.

He just rolled his eyes. “I dunno, I just had a feeling.” He kissed me. “You love me.”

“Yeah, I do.” Kissing him again, then turned to Gina. “We need to get back.” I began. “Leaving the boys with Grandma is great, but I miss them.”

Gina nodded. “Of course. There’s a helicopter on the roof ready to take you to the airport. Have a good flight.” Then she took both our hands. “And a great life.”

 

Matt and I had chartered a plane to take us back to Asheville. While on board I looked at the ring Matt had given me.

“Now, Eric.” Matt began. “I picked that out for you. Keep it or feel free exchange it.”

“I wouldn’t exchange it,” I said. “You gave it to me.” It was one of the first engagement rings I had ever seen for a man. Wide and masculine with a deep set diamond. “But if we have rings in the ceremony…”

“I was thinking about that,” Matt said and his voice got very serious. “I was going to wear my father’s wedding ring.” Matt shrugged. “He can’t be here in person, but this way he can be in this whole marriage thing a little.”

I smiled as he said that. “That’s really nice.” Then I thought. “I bet mom still has Dad’s ring.”

Matt smiled. “You think she’ll give it to you?”

I kissed him. “She’d be thrilled.”

 

Even with a plane that was there just to take us back was agonizingly long. It was late when we walked into Granddad and Grandma’s house. Going upstairs, Mom was feeding Ken in a rocking chair. She had gotten older but still looked great. Her hair was grey in streaks, but she still was beautiful. She smiled as Matt and I walked in.

“Proposing on live, National TV?” She grinned at Matt.

Matt shrugged. “Well, we came out on live TV, so why not?” He bent and kissed her. “Hi, Mom.”

“Matt and I had discussed getting married, but I never dreamed he would do it there,” I said rubbing the top of Ken’s head as he consumed his meal.

“Well, it was very exciting.” Mom grinned taking the bottle out as he finished, then put him on her shoulder to burp him. She got up kissed me on the cheek. “I’m so happy for the both of you. Let me see the ring.”

I held my left hand up. “Do you still have Dad’s wedding ring?”

Mom’s eyes grew a little. “Yes.”

“Can I have it?” I asked. “Matt’s going to wear his father’s ring so…”

Now, Mom was crying a little. “Oh, honey….your father would be proud for you to get married using it. That’s beautiful. Of course.”

Matt went to the other cradle and peered at his son….our son. Charlie was sleeping peacefully as Matt turned. “Have they been a problem?”

Mom shook her head. “Not one. They’re both good babies.” She smiled as she patted Ken on the back. “Have you thought about where the wedding will be? What sort of ceremony it will be?”

“Matt and I discussed it,” I said taking Matt’s hand. “We were thinking of having it here.”

Mom nodded. “I know Mom and Dad will be thrilled.”

I shrugged. “Well, you and Dad were married here. You and Floyd were married here. Mary and Mark were married here. It just seemed to be the right place.”

Mom nodded. “It is.” She handed Ken to me just after he burped. “So, no big Hollywood wedding?”

Matt caressed Ken’s head as I held him. “Nah. I think a small private one is better.” He shrugged and then winked. “I proposed nationwide, but I marry in private.”

 

It was Spring when we stood face to face outside where many in the family were married. The day was clear and crisp. Our whole family was there. Mary, Mark, and Dillon, who came from graduate school to be there. Mary's and Mark's new daughter, Karen. Granddad had to sit now, using a cane to walk. Grandma. Earl and Pat. Tammy and Barry. Dana had a date she brought and seemed serious about. Brian, I think was his name. Mom and Floyd along with Jennifer, who held Charlie while Floyd held Ken. Charlene and Debra were there also and a few friends, but mostly it was just family. The minister had said why were there and had read the whole blessing and whatever, and in truth, I barely heard her. All I could see was the smiling handsome face of a man that was very soon to be announced as my husband. Our father’s rings were slid on each other’s finger and then I did hear.

“I now pronounce you, married.” The minister said. “You may kiss your husbands.”

“And many times, every day for the rest of our lives.” Matt grinned. “I love you.” Our lips pressed against each other’s gently and grew in love and passion.

Copyright © 2016 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What. A. Wonderful. Ride!
Thank you so much for the gift of this story. I thoroughly enjoyed every syllable!
Matt is like so many LGBTQ people I used to work with. Having to hide in plain sight. Thankfully, they, like Matt, were finally able to be who they were meant to be.
Eric is so mature! What a fabulous man he grew into! And that family! We need more of them in real life.
Thanks for sharing them with us!
Molly

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/26/2016 03:37 AM, mollyhousemouse said:

What. A. Wonderful. Ride!

Thank you so much for the gift of this story. I thoroughly enjoyed every syllable!

Matt is like so many LGBTQ people I used to work with. Having to hide in plain sight. Thankfully, they, like Matt, were finally able to be who they were meant to be.

Eric is so mature! What a fabulous man he grew into! And that family! We need more of them in real life.

Thanks for sharing them with us!

Molly

Thank you so much. Eric and Matt were really a labor of love. I was like Eric, in fact, I really am him and I hid for decades. The family support was one I "wished" I'd had. i'm toying with some little stories to add later about them. Again, thank you very much.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Two great stories of yours finishing what a pity they have been great to read. I hope there is more to follow.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/08/2017 03:34 AM, htbrock63 said:

I love the story. Is Matt any relation to Jeff Stryker?

Only in fiction. Matt's my real husband, so not really.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I love it when a story takes away. This did it so smoothly. I really loved it.

Thanks so much for sharing your talent. Now, to see what else you've written.

Jim

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank You R.Eric for This Story , I’ve been reading your stories here on GA for awhile now and this was one I really enjoyed . Looking forward to reading any new stories you post 📕📚📖

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..