Jump to content
    Refugium
  • Author
  • 1,790 Words
  • 791 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confluence - 5. Future, Present and Past

Please see title page / table of contents page to view the two photographs which inspired this story.

Then its settled,” Ellie said with satisfaction. She stood, hands on hips, looking at the shops north wall. The soda fountain will be perfect here, and Papa and Uncle will get us the best marble and the best workmen to put it in, and Owen, youll order all the equipment from Mr. Dows, and the pharmacy,” she turned to the back of the shop, will be there, and then theres all this space here for anything else you want.”

Yes, dear,” Owen mumbled.

Owen, dont sulk,” Ellie chided.

Did you have something else in mind, Mr. Owen?” Layne interjected.

No,” Owen said. Thats a good plan. I was just thinking of a few things I ordered that I have to cancel. Win, come and show me how much space you think I should have for the pharmacy.”

Oh, Id say about a quarter or a third of the shop. Maybe from the back to about here?”

Owen, with his eyes on Ellie, who was examining the edges of the front windows, grabbed Laynes crotch and squeezed. Im so glad that I have you to rely on, Doctor Layne.”

Mister Owen, any assistance I can render, any time, you just let me know.”

I know just the way these windows should be painted with the name of the shop,” Ellie mused. Owen, are you listening?”

I heard every word, darling.” Owen backed into Layne. Oh, pardon me, Doctor.”

And I know just the man to do it. Hes a little expensive, but worth every penny.”

If you will excuse me,” Layne said, I should return to my office now.”

Appointment?” Owen asked.

Just something I have to take care of.”

*******************************

In the next month, carpenters, plasterers, and other tradesmen busied themselves in Owens shop; and matrons, socially ambitious women, and business leaders swarmed to Laynes practice. With Owen, Layne reviewed the procedures for stocking a pharmacy in his own dispensary, which he planned to convert into an additional infirmary when Owens shop opened. He brought Jordan in to teach Owen.

Jordan knows the dispensary as well as I do,” Layne told Owen. Maybe better. Jordan, Id like you go over everything in here with Mr. Owen, what each medication is and what its used for, how its administered, and what are the dangers it might pose.”

Jordan watched silently as Layne left for an appointment with a patient.

Mr. Moreau, I dont think you liked me much when we first met.”

Mr. Owen, I think the feeling was mutual.”

Is it going to be a problem, you teaching me?”

No sir.” Jordan began pulling jars down from a top shelf. Doctor Layne is satisfied with you, so I have no problem. If hes happy, Im happy. Hes been good to me.” He stopped and held Owens gaze. I hope youll be good to him. He deserves to have some good things happen in his life.”

**********************

Reverend Joseph Fielden set upon his roast beef with a good appetite. How are things, Bill?”

His dining companion, Doc Lawson, was devouring a large ham steak. Oh, nothing to complain of. Nothing major.”

How about minor?”

Well,” Lawson picked his teeth, my trade is a little down. Patients going off to see this fellow Layne. You know, the one whos always washing his hands, boiling everything in sight in his surgery, wiping things down with carbolic acid. Hes going to acid-burn his patients, the ones he doesnt boil. But Im sure its just a fad. You know how people are about something new.”

Doctor Layne,” Reverend Fielden mused. Bit of a peculiar chap. Couldnt get a straight answer out of him on whether or not hed been baptized. All that washing, maybe hes covering something up. Guilty conscience, like Lady Macbeth.”

Maybe they find it necessary to wash a great deal down South where he comes from,” Lawson managed to declare through a mouthful of mashed potatoes. We dont have the miasmas and swamp fevers up here that they do. Hes well-spoken, Ill say that for him.”

Maybe a little too well-spoken,” Fielden replied. Theres something excessive about his style.”

Stagey, almost.”

Artistic.

Yes,” Lawson contemplated. Are you implying -- Youre not suggesting --?”

Im not suggesting anything. Im merely observing.”

I prefer plain speaking, myself.” Lawson relieved himself of a loud belch. Thats what New England is about, and thats the way it should be. Fellow uses flowery language like Layne, sooner or later its not going to sit well with people here.”

He just seems -- a little --”

The two men looked at each other.

Naw,” they said simultaneously, and looked to their food.

*********************************

Only the glow from the stove illuminated Laynes bedroom. A few stars could be seen through the window on this moonless, clear night. Owen lay still as Layne mopped up the fruits of the evenings exertions on their stomachs, chests and faces.

Youre very handsome, Win.”

Why, thank you. Youre pretty good-looking yourself, although I think you knew that.”

I always wanted to be with a man, but I thought any man who would want that would be -- well, what the boys in school called a molly.”

And Im not a molly?”

No, youre a handsome, real man.”

Oh, mollies are very real, I assure you. And they are men. Therefore, theyre real men. I dont happen to fancy them, myself, but I dont think theres anything wrong with the way they are. In some ways, because they cant hide, they need more courage to live their lives than those of us who can pass unnoticed.”

Is there a name for men like us?”

Oh, there are names. Not very flattering and not very nice. Sodomite and buggerer, for example.”

What exactly is a buggerer?”

Well, if I were to insert my arbor vitae into that delightful little roundmouth that you so enjoy having fingered while I suck on your root, then I would be a buggerer.”

What would that make me?”

Probably very happy, if I read the indications correctly.”

So its butt-fucking.”

To put it bluntly, yes.”

Why didnt you just say so?”

I thought I did.”

I want to try it.”

Well, my brave adventurer, I must warn you that if were not careful it can be uncomfortable, at least at first.”

Owen laughed. Oh, Ive experimented with a few things. They werent painful, not really. But theyre no substitute for --” he grabbed Laynes cock, the real thing.”

Polliwog, you continue to astonish me. Now, I know I have some lard around here somewhere. And then we can discover the sweet spot where the Winnipesaukee flows under your covered bridge.”

***************************

A delicious meal, Mrs. Owen,” Layne said, leaning back in the highback chair in the Owen dining room. Thank you so much for inviting me to this Sunday feast.”

High time,” Mrs. Owen replied. Youre all Paulie ever talks about.”

Ma!” Paulie blushed.

Well, its true!” Mrs. Owen continued. Engaged to be married, and he doesnt talk about Ellie nearly as much as he does about you.”

But, Ma, you dont like it when I talk about Ellie.”

Because shes not good enough for you. And the way she treats you! Doctor Layne here is head and shoulders above her -- intelligent, educated, sophisticated -- and he doesnt talk down to you the way she does.”

I find a great deal worthy of respect and admiration in Paulie -- in your son, Mrs. Owen.”

You see? And I know Paulie must like you a great deal, Doctor Layne. He doesnt let anyone else call him Paulie.”

And I consider that permission a great compliment.”

This was delicious, Ma.” Owen began clearing plates. I dont tell you that often enough.”

No, you dont.”

**************************

This has been my room all my life,” Owen said, guiding Layne into a small bedroom. It still is, as if I was still a little boy.”

I know better. This is quite a collection of magazines you have.”

I used to read and dream about places all over the world in this little room. I want a big section of magazines and newspapers from all over the country in the shop. Those magazines kept me going while I was waiting for my life to start.”

And now youre about to be an independent businessman.”

Hm. Semi-independent. Ellies father and uncle will own thirty percent.”

They seem to be big in this town. Forgive me, but how did they agree to a poor boy like you marrying Ellie?”

Well -- the thing is -- this is one of those things that everyone knows but nobody talks about. You dont know because youre not from here. Ellie is Jonas Aikens daughter by his first marriage.”

Yes, so I understood.”

But no one here ever met that first wife. And no one has ever located a record of the marriage.”

I see.”

Rumor has it that what was located, though, was a record of Jonas adopting Ellie.

Nothing wrong with adoption. Its a very noble institution.”

But Jonas has never referred to her as his adopted daughter or made any mention of adoption. He has always called her his daughter, plain and simple.”

And what are we to make of that?”

What the gossip makes of it is that Ellie is Jonass daughter, but Jonas never married her mother.”

Oh.”

So the better families dont regard her as quite eligible for a brilliant marriage.”

Have you talked to Ellie about this?”

I talked to her about it a little over a year ago, when Jeremiah Woodworth called off their engagement.”

She was engaged before?”

Yes.

And who is Jeremiah Woodworth?”

Son of Elias Woodworth, one of the biggest mill owners. He broke it off for no reason.”

Sounds like breach of promise on his part.”

The Aikens wouldnt pursue it. Ellie considered herself disgraced, as if her reputation was damaged. She was really upset. It was the first time Id seen her so down and defeated. And thats when I asked her to marry me. I always thought shed marry someone rich. I didnt really expect her to take me seriously, but she did, and the bigger surprise is that her father had no objection. I thought, why not? Id known her all my life, and we get along fine, or at least we know how to argue with each other already.”

So thats what Im up against -- your noble instinct to rescue a damsel in distress.”

Youre not up against anything or anyone. Ellie and I, and you and I -- those just arent the same thing.”

No, they arent.” Layne held Owens shoulders. I love you.”

Owen sighed. What are we going to do?”

Next chapter on Friday; and then next week I will post on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Copyright © 2022 Refugium; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Refugium ,

Thank You for The Latest Chapter , Dr. Layne & Mr.Owen are becoming the best of friends lol . Miss Ellie is getting on my nerves too , She needs another distraction. Perhaps another beau ? . Look forward to Next Wks Postings .

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Ah, the politics of a small town with small minds.  Methinks Ma Owen may have some inkling of truth...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

My...my...my, someone's nose is out of joint...the nerve of Dr Layne, giving sanitation a good name!!!

Well,” Lawson picked his teeth, my trade is a little down. Patients going off to see this fellow Layne. You know, the one whos always washing his hands, boiling everything in sight in his surgery, wiping things down with carbolic acid. Hes going to acid-burn his patients, the ones he doesnt boil. But Im sure its just a fad. You know how people are about something new.”

And henpecked to boot as Elie overcompensates for her less than stellar past, will she be twice jilted at the altar? 

Will dr Layne come to the rescue at the right time and purchase the 30% from Elie's father and uncle??

And now youre about to be an independent businessman.”

Hm. Semi-independent. Ellies father and uncle will own thirty percent.”

They seem to be big in this town. Forgive me, but how did they agree to a poor boy like you marrying Ellie?”

Well -- the thing is -- this is one of those things that everyone knows but nobody talks about. You dont know because youre not from here. Ellie is Jonas Aikens daughter by his first marriage.”

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
On 11/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, pvtguy said:

Ah, the politics of a small town with small minds.  Methinks Ma Owen may have some inkling of truth...

Yes. She's onto them alright. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hmmm. 30% is not a disaster, but Both Paulie and Win could find themselves shunned in business by the creme de la creme of the town if their relationship becomes known. 

I'm hoping that Ellie's ex-fiance comes back for her. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..