Jump to content
    Refugium
  • Author
  • 1,981 Words
  • 941 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confluence - 4. Owen's Follow-Up Appointment

Please see the title page / table of contents page to see the photographs which inspired this story.

Chapter 4

Mrs. Ogilvys thin voice barely carried over the sound of Layne scrubbing his hands. Doctor, theres a young man who insists on seeing you. I told him you were in surgery and he was rather put out. It was all I could do to make him wait. A Mister Owen.”

You may show him in. Im done now. Jordan is finishing up.”

Yes, Doctor.”

Owen shuffled in. As soon as Mrs. Ogilvy was out of hearing, he said, Old bat. Kept me waiting for an hour.”

That old bat, as you call her, keeps my practice running like a clock and defends me like a mother lioness. The man in my surgery just lost two fingers crushed in the machinery at a mill. I had to send for Jordan with no warning. Fortunately, he got here in record time.”

Who is Jordan?”

A colored boy who helps me with surgeries. Administers ether, keeps watch on the patients heartbeat and breathing, hands me surgical tools. Some day hell be a fine doctor.”

A boy does all that?”

A young black man entered. The patient is awake now, Doctor.”

Thank you, Jordan. Jordan, this is my friend and our neighbor, Mister Owen, just taking the shop next to us. Mister Owen, Jordan Moreau. Well, whats wrong? Shake hands.”

After an awkward handclasp, Jordan moved to the door. Ill be going now, Doctor Layne. Of course Im always glad to help, but I had to leave my little sister alone at home.”

By all means, Jordan. Well settle up later.”

With a slight nod to Owen, Moreau left by the front door.

You said he was a boy,” Owen said. Hes as old as I am. You wouldnt call me a boy, I hope.”

Layne was momentarily flummoxed. Well, youve got me there. Force of habit, I suppose. You grow up hearing colored men of any age called boy,and you dont even think about it.”

I bet they do.”

I bet youre right.” Layne finished drying his hands. I shall mend my ways.”

I want to talk to you.”

And I to you. Lets meet for lunch in an hour. Where we went before. Right now I must tell my patient how to care for his hand. I only hope that he will still be able to work. He has children to support.”

********************

Owen picked at his corned beef hash. Now Ellie is taking an interest in the shop. She thinks the soda fountain will go over well. And shes talking to her father and her uncle about being partners.”

Does that bother you?” Laynes chicken pie was, at least, superior to the chess pie he endured before.

Well, they know things, and they know people. They could get the best Vermont marble for the counters and all. But I want it to be my idea. I want it to be the way I want it.”

And youre afraid youll be giving up too much control?”

I dont like something that I thought was mine slipping away in little pieces.” Owen looked earnestly at Layne. Is Jordan like us?”

What?”

Jordan. Is he the way we are?”

If you mean, do his affections run to masculine company, yes, I believe they do.”

Have you done with him what we did together?”

Layne put down his fork. Jordan has a dear friend. They are quite devoted to each other, from what I see. When I first met Jordan, he and I may have had one or two encounters, but thats over.”

Well, was it one or two?”

I dont think Im going to answer that. Paulie, what is this about?”

Youve done all this before.”

Ive done my share. Mostly in the army.”

But I havent. I dont know how this works. This is the most exciting thing thats ever happened to me. Youre so matter-of-fact about it.”

Paulie.” Layne folded his hands. You werent in the war. Men react to war in different ways. I might seem subdued in how I express myself. But inside, my passions are no less forceful than yours.”

How could you have had -- encounters, in the army?”

Youd be surprised how much men loosen up when they dont know if theyll be alive tomorrow. And the lack of gossiping women and sour-faced preachers watching their every move makes a difference, too. Mostly it was just lonely, frightened men looking for a little comfort, one hour that wasnt all death and mud and bad food, just once. But I did have one dear friend I loved. He died a week before the war ended.”

Theres no war here,” Owen said. I have my whole life in this town, and now theres you, and I dont see how I can do both. They dont fit together.”

Layne sighed. If you dont wish to continue what we started on Saturday, I will respect your choice. I will be very disappointed, but I will accept it. And I will not breathe a word to anyone.”

Owen nervously shoveled in one forkful of hash, then another. I dont think I have enough knowledge to make an informed decision. You said on Saturday that you wanted to do it again, and more. What did you mean by more?

A slow smile appeared on Laynes face. I would have to show you.”

Owen considered. Tonight?”

Tonight would suit me just fine.”

*******************

Laynes vantage point was perfect for appreciating both the sprinkling of hair on Owens chest and stomach and the fur on his legs below. Like a faun, he thought. Owen lay back, his head thrashing back and forth, his body rigid, his hands in Laynes hair.

Win!

Mm.”

Win, what if I - release, while youre doing that?”

Layne came up for air. Then I shall swallow and be grateful.” He returned to the task at hand.

Win! What are you doing now?”

Im stimulating another sensitive area with my finger.”

But -- Its --”

Is it unpleasant?”

No!

Well, let me know if it becomes so.”

Ah -- ah!” With a few sharp breaths, Owen shot his seed into Laynes mouth.

Evidently not unpleasant at all.”

Owen shook his head, then pulled Layne up for a long kiss.

*********************

Owens head was cradled in Laynes shoulder.

How am I going to marry Ellie? But Ive got to marry her. I promised.”

Do you want to?”

I dont know. Im not sure. Weve been friends since we were children.”

Successful marriages have been based on less.”

Im not sure, Im not sure.”

Layne shifted to look into Owens eyes. Paulie, are you in love with her?”

I suppose so, yes.”

You suppose so! I think youd know if you were. Does your heart beat faster when you see her? Do you find yourself grinning like a fool? Do you feel as though you just took a big whiff of ether? Because Im already there when it comes to you, sir. My heart leaps at the sight of you. If you feel half of what I do --”

Ma says such feelings dont last.”

Shes right. They change. If were lucky, they mellow, like a good wine. If were not, they turn sour. But to deny yourself the chance ever to fall in love! I think thats a very high price to pay to keep living exactly as you have been in this town.”

I do.

You do what?”

I do feel those things. I think about you all the time. Everything else seems like waiting to see you.”

Well then. Do you have enough information now to make a decision?”

Owen ran his finger along Laynes chest. No. I still need more study.”

Layne smiled and kissed Owens hand. My little polliwog.”

Owen glared at him.

Sorry!” Layne held his hands up. My big polliwog.”

******************

Owen woke suddenly. Through Dr. Laynes bedroom window he saw the sky turning pale. Its late. Id better go before people are up and about. Ill have to think of something to tell Ma.”

Layne stretched. Tell her you were busy having carnal relations with your good friend Doctor Layne.”

Owen dressed as quickly as he could. Where are my trousers? Wheres my tie?”

Reluctantly the doctor rose and began searching. They cant have gotten far. My quarters arent all that large.”

Ill tell her I was working late and I curled up in a corner in the shop.”

I wish you could stay here every night.”

Ha! And Ellie calls me impractical.”

Found the trousers!”

And heres my tie. Now, Win, dont delay me.”

Wouldnt dream of it.”

Buttons buttoned, tie tied, Owen turned to Layne for a brief kiss which turned into a long one. Im warning you, Doctor, dont slow me down.”

No, of course not.”

Owen kissed him again. Im headed out that door. Dont try to stop me.”

Stop you! I find myself obliged to push you.” Layne guided Owen to the door. I trust you can find your way down through the office?”

Yes, Doctor.”

Latch the front door behind you.” Layne gave Owen a gentle shove and closed the door behind him.

********************

Mrs. Ogilvy found that as she advanced in age she slept less. Often, if she retired early, she found herself wide awake at two or three oclock in the morning. With a sigh she sat up in bed. Sarah Ogilvy, she thought, you know theres no point in trying to fall asleep again at this point. Might as well catch up on your work.

Before Dr. Layne hired her to organize his office, she had chafed at the idleness of a widows life and the restrictions of a widows pension. Now she had a little more money in her purse and her hours were occupied. More than that, she genuinely admired Dr. Layne and was quite taken with what she regarded as his Southern charm; in her conception Ohio was part of the deep South.

The Monday after Layne attended church, there was a sudden swell of requests for appointments for various ailments, real or imaginary, from Franklins better-off citizens. She had asked Layne if he really wanted to see so many women whose principal medical condition seemed to be wealth.

Layne had merely smiled and said, Dont be an anti-rich snob, Mrs. Ogilvy. Their money will enable me to reduce my fees for the less fortunate.”

She admired him more than ever.

Between the stresses of the mill workers emergency surgery and having to deal with that young Mister Owen,Mrs. Ogilvy did not accomplish as much as she wished in paperwork for the would-be patients. And so in the very early morning she walked to the office to begin an extra-long day.

The streets were deserted. She was surprised as she approached the medical office to see a figure emerge from the front door. She almost called out to Dr. Layne, but then saw that it was not he, but someone else who was swiftly walking away. Thats young Mister Owen, she thought. What on earth?

Later, when Dr. Layne descended from his apartment to the office, Mrs. Ogilvy asked him, Is Mister Owen all right?”

Hm? Mister Owen? Yes, quite all right. Why?”

Did he spend the night in the infirmary? I saw him leave this morning.”

Oh, my, you were here early. Its nothing serious. Just wanted to keep an eye on him. I would appreciate it if you didnt mention it to him -- he finds it a little embarrassing.” He patted his stomach. Tummy trouble.”

Oh,” she replied with motherly concern. That can be very unpleasant. Ill send a little prayer his way.”

Youre an angel, Mrs. Ogilvy. I know he rubbed you the wrong way yesterday, but hes a good sort, really. The impatience of youth is something he will outgrow in time.”

I will be posting new chapters on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Copyright © 2022 Refugium; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 12
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter and Mr Owen needs to remember he needs to wear the big boy pants in his relationship with Miss Ellie. As for business partners with anyone, that should be his decision and conversation to have...at the same time, it is surprising to find Jordan living in rural Vermont, if he is to further his medical career, he will need to go to school in a larger environment!

If Dr Layne and Mr Owen are gonna play hanky panky, they need to be uber cautious....and they nearly gave it all away!!!

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Owen is already cuckolded by Miss Elllie!  How is he going to break off with her and share a life with Dr. Layne in this small town?  Looking forward to the development of this story!

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I remember how it feels to have to sneak around and make excuses for being where you shouldn't be at odd times. I hope these two take care to be discreet,

  • Like 1
Link to comment

They are clearly falling for each other. Paulie is going to need to break off with Ellie but he will have to have a good reason. It would be very unwise to go into any kind of partnership with his potential father-in-law. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..