Jump to content
    Refugium
  • Author
  • 1,483 Words
  • 1,418 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confluence - 1. Chapter 1

At Franklin, New Hampshire, the waters of the Pemigewasset and the Winnipesaukee flow together. From that point the river they form is known by neither name, but by the new name Merrimack, as if an entirely new river had bubbled up at the confluence. The town grew quickly after the establishment of water-powered mills in the early nineteenth century, and by the 1870s it was thriving.

Winfield Laynes medical practice in Franklin was not thriving in the early spring of 1872. Mill workers were willing enough to use his services for their various injuries, but they had little money. The towns more affluent citizens preferred Doc Lawson, who looked the part of an old country doctor and liberally supplied quack remedies rich in alcohol, laudanum, and extract of coca leaf. Most people found Dr. Layne too young and handsome to be taken seriously as a physician. They thought him more suited to a profession on the stage, despite the long beard he had grown to appear older; and they distrusted a bachelor.

The ice was beginning to melt in the unusually early spring, and River Street was muddy and puddled. Dr. Laynes office was on a busy but not fashionable block. He was pleased that a new owner seemed to be taking the vacant storefront next to him: a young man was measuring the space and making notes with a succession of helpful friends. When he happened to spot the man alone, he decided to pay a visit.

Knocking on the open door, he said, Nice to see someone moving in.”

The young man looked up with a quick, slight smile. Good morning! Yes, Im working on it. Im hoping to have the shop open soon.” He started to rise, got his feet tangled, and all but fell before Layne grabbed his hand and steadied him.

What kind of shop?” Layne was reminded of a squirrel; the young man was all jumpy, nervous energy. He was compactly built and dark-eyed, with a pleasant, pale face and neat mustache.

Dry goods. General merchandise. Books and paper. Clothing and outfitter. Tools and other hardware. Lumber. A pharmacy.”

Good heavens! That sounds like all the stores a town needs rolled into one. But a pharmacy -- thats good. That will be convenient for my patients. Im Doctor Winfield Layne. My office is next door.” Layne pointed in the direction of his office while placing his other arm around Owens shoulder

The young man shook Laynes hand. Pemberton Paul Owen. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Dr. Layne. Youre next door, you say?”

Yes, youre sidling up right next to my ... practice.” Dr. Layne saw the young mans eyes flash, maybe with alarm, maybe merely with surprise. Just through this wall on your south side. And where did you study pharmaceutical science, Mister Owen?”

Philadelphia,” Owen muttered. His eyes shifted to the floor. I was just going to take a break to get some coffee. Ive been working long days, running here and there, ordering furnishings and supplies, not really getting enough sleep. Care to join me?”

That explains the nerves, Layne thought. As it happens, I have no appointments for the next hour or two. Id be delighted.”

********

At a small eatery Dr. Layne picked slowly at a piece of mediocre chess pie while his companion downed his fourth cup of coffee. Layne smiled in bemusement as the young mans animation increased and the flow of his words became a torrent. Layne learned all about Owens fathers recent death, the small inheritance that Owen was using to set up shop, and the house he now shared with his mother out on Shannon Road.

She must be very proud of her little Pemberton.”

Ma thinks I never finish anything. She thinks I wont persevere in this.”

Well, I hope you do. And you seem very capable to me.”

And she doesnt call me Pemberton. My fathers name was Pemberton, too -- Pemberton William Owen -- so she calls me by my middle name.”

She calls you Paul?”

The young man blushed. Paulie.”

Layne smiled broadly. What about me? Should I call you Paul or Paulie? Or Pemberton?”

Owen searched Dr. Laynes eyes for mockery. Pem, maybe, though thats really Pas name. I dont usually like people calling me Paulie, except Ma, of course.”

I wont call you that if you dont like it.”

Owen lowered his eyes to his coffee. I think if you called me Paulie I wouldnt mind.”

Im glad. I think Paulie suits you.”

But call me Mr. Owen if other people are around.”

As you wish. My friends call me Win.”

Owen chuckled. Its funny, you being named Win, like the Winnipesaukee, and some people call me Pem, like the Pemigewasset.”

Two rivers destined to meet.” Layne smiled and pushed his plate away. Ill bet you were cute as a button when you were a boy. Must have been. Still are.” Owens hand went up to his mustache, and again those dark eyes flashed in alarm. Got a girl?”

Im engaged to be married.”

Wonderful. Im sure shell be a great help to you in your new enterprise.”

Ellies not very enthusiastic about it.”

Oh. Well. Maybe shell come around.”

With a pained expression, Owen rubbed his stomach. She thinks Im in over my head.”

I have to agree that its very ambitious to try to offer so much.”

Is it too much?”

Are you asking my advice? I hesitate because Ive given advice in the past, and when things didnt turn out well, I lost a friend.”

Yes, I would like your advice. Please.”

All right. I think you should choose a few things to do well. Of course Id like to see a pharmacy, but thats me being selfish. You should focus on whatever you know best. Youre trained in pharmacy, so--”

I didnt finish.”

Beg pardon?

I didnt finish my studies at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. Pa died and I had to come back home.”

There are many apothecaries who have no formal training at all. And I could help you.”

You could?”

Yes, it was part of my studies. The important thing to remember is that its a fairly small shop. You dont have enough space to offer all the goods ever made on the face of the Earth.”

Its true.” Owen pulled at his mustache. Some druggists have something called a soda fountain.”

Ive seen one. At the Paris Expo. Beautiful. Built by a Mister Dows. Everyone loved his ice cream sodas,as I believe he called them. Lined up for blocks.”

You were at the Paris Expo?”

Yes. Back in 67.”

I wish I could have been there. I wish I could have seen that.”

Mister Dows lives down in Boston or Lowell. I believe hes patented his equipment and is manufacturing it. You can buy it all.”

Ive never travelled, not even to Boston. But Paris! You really went to Europe?”

Yes, for a few years after the war. Theyre far ahead of us in medical advances. Very interesting experiments by a chemist named Pasteur. Theres a Doctor Lister in Glasgow who has had remarkable success with preventing infection. Enormous resistance to his methods, but I found his results most persuasive.”

Win?

Yes?

Where are you from?”

Sorry, I have a bad habit of talking shop. Where am I from? Born in Kentucky, then my family moved to New York, up by Buffalo, then down to Ohio, near Chillicothe. My father was a doctor, too. We werent wealthy but we didnt want. I was a surgeon during the war. Terrible, all of it. Shiloh was --” Layne shook his head. They gave me a Majors uniform, but I would have preferred no uniform and more medical supplies. Half the time we didnt have ether and had to operate without.”

Why did you move to Franklin?”

I found myself oddly unwelcome in Ohio. I treated Negroes, so the Confederate sympathizers thought I was an Abolitionist. I treated Confederate soldiers, so the Unionists thought I was a Copperhead. I treated anyone. I thought the less misery and suffering there was all round, the less bitter would be the peace that must follow. Franklin had been recommended by -- a friend... But now that Im here, people dont trust me anyway, since Im a foreigner from the distant, exotic nation of Ohio.”

I was born here. When they see that you and I are friends, theyll trust you. We are friends, arent we?

I would very much like us to be.”

Owen extended his hand across the table. Layne took it. Owen did not let go.

We must be friends. I need a real friend. Not just someone I say hello to in church and then we go our separate ways. A true friend.”

Layne looked at Owen thoughtfully. Exactly what I had in mind.”

Copyright © 2022 Refugium; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a breath of fresh air, a great beginning to your story!

As a history buff I am looking very much to more chapters!!!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Refugium said:

Thanks!

I wish I could figure out how to attach the two photographs which inspired the story, but I haven't yet. Meanwhile, if you'd like to see them, they're on pinterest.com, if you look up "dr layne & mr owen". Or you may prefer your own imagination.

When posting a story you are allowed to include a "Story Cover". I believe that is where you could put the pic.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

An interesting story set in one of the smallest cities in NH. 

The timeframe, shortly after the Civil War, is one that has many stories of survivors, like Dr. Layne. Some moved to smaller towns and cities far away from where the fighting had taken place, to start fresh and leave that past behind.  

Let's see where this new friendship takes Win and Paul.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 11/24/2022 at 5:05 AM, Tim Hobson said:

What a delightful beginning. I'm reading on with eager anticipation.

I feel exactly the same.  A place and time I am ignorant of, so a learning experience as well.  Good work!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A cracker of an opening chapter. I like these two men already. I hope rhey can love above the shops with an interleading door. 😆 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..