Jump to content
    Refugium
  • Author
  • 1,462 Words
  • 811 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confluence - 6. The Shop Opens

To see the two photographs which inspired this story, please see the title page / table of contents page.

Painters were clearing their drop-cloths and ladders from the shop as Jonas and Walter Aiken surveyed the space. Very nicely done, Owen, my boy,” Jonas said.

Ellie beamed with pride. Isnt it the best? And the soda fountain -- isnt it gorgeous?”

The Aikens surveyed the gleaming marble and shining metals. Spectacular,” Walter said.

Owen ducked his head in their direction. I couldnt have done it without the three Aikens. I really am very grateful.”

Very happy to help,” Jonas said. Very happy to keep the towns most modern advances in the family.”

Very happy to increase our share of the town over Woodworth,” Walter said in a lower tone.

Oh, Uncle, youre such an empire-builder!” Ellie swatted his arm.

Layne ran his hand along a display case. I think Mister Owen has achieved a good balance. The soda fountain, and the pharmacy, and the section where the soaps and salves and other little things will be, and the area for the newspapers and magazines, are in just the right proportion.”

Owen and his magazines!” Ellie rolled her eyes. Well, I suppose they cant do any harm, and it is his shop, after all.”

Take note -- you heard it from her very lips. It is my shop,” Owen said.

No question about that, Owen. The important thing is that its in the family,” Jonas said. And when will you be family, Owen? Whens the date?”

Owen looked down. We havent set a date yet.”

Walter clapped him on the shoulder. Youve been busy, of course, but now that youre going to be opening in a week, youll have time. Dont put it off too long.”

No, sir.”

Strike while the iron is hot, dont you agree, Doctor Layne?”

Layne looked at Owen. A hot iron is not to be ignored, certainly.”

Owen looked around the shop. I dont know how Im going to run the pharmacy and sell the sundries and run the soda fountain all at the same time.”

Dear, weve talked about this,” Ellie said. We agreed you were going to hire someone to run the soda fountain.”

I wish I knew who,” Owen said.

Paulie,” Layne said quietly, Id like to talk to you about that. You remember the man in my surgery who lost two fingers? Jim Schaefer? Hes healing very well. But the mill wont take him back. Hes convinced that no one will hire him.”

Hes not really a man that I would picture in the position. And I dont know if I could pay him enough.”

Then hire his wife.”

Or hire them both half-time.”

Not a bad idea.”

I was joshing!”

Anyway, think about it. Even if its only temporary, it would help him to find other work if he can show that he held down a job with eight fingers.”

Win?

Yes?

I would do anything you asked of me. Anything.” His hand happened to brush casually across Laynes thigh. If Schaefer is interested, tell him to come and see me.”

******************************************

The grand opening of Owens Pharmacy attracted lines of customers two blocks long, mostly to try an ice cream soda. Jim Schaefer, still learning to use his maimed hand, was careful and slow in all his movements, so any time there were three customers within five minutes of each other, there was a line -- and this attracted attention.

Everything he served at the soda fountain was immensely popular. Ellie hit on the idea of advertising a low price for ice cream sodas on opening day only, which convinced those who doubted the worth of such a new-fangled thing to give it a try. And those who tried one were hooked.

Owen rushed to and fro, more than he needed to, really, operating the cash register, re-arranging displays, restocking ice and frantically ordering more, and worrying about prescriptions. Jordan unobtrusively helped in the pharmacy, in fact did most of the work there.

Dr. Layne visited in the early afternoon, just as Ellie was about to take over for Owen and send him off to lunch.

You look rushed off your feet,” Layne said.

Oh, we are,” Ellie said.

Im going crazy,” Owen said.

But its a success! A great success!” Layne smiled.

I need a break from this,” Owen said. Doctor Layne, lets go for a stroll.”

Dont worry. I can handle everything,” Ellie called after them.

She certainly can,” Owen said.

Paulie,” Layne said as they emerged into the sunlight, where would you like to go?”

Well, theres a beautiful spot by the river, right where the Winnipesaukee flows under a covered bridge.”

I meant for lunch, you young dissolute.”

Lets go to Grogans for something quick. I should get back as soon as I can and take over the soda fountain so Jim can get a break.”

Lead on.”

*************************

Arthur Evans surveyed the unsold newspapers at the front of his tobacco shop. Bert Lippincott, proprietor of the grocery store next to him, stood outside his front door, arms folded.

I hear Owens is selling newspapers from all over the country, and Europe, and probably China and Japan as well,” Evans commented. I havent sold a paper in two days.”

I havent sold a ginger pop in two days,” Lippincott noted. Everyones crazy for these ice cream sodas, or buying their ginger pop at Owens.

People run after anything new. Theres no loyalty,” Evans said sadly.

Were not the only ones with trade down,” Lippincott added. Owens is cutting into a lot of businesses. Good, established businesses.”

Aint right.”

No, it aint.”

Someone oughta do something about it.”

I dont know about you,” Lippincott said, and spat into the street, but I think its unchristian, and I intend to speak to Reverend Fielden about it.”

You can tell him I feel the same.”

***********************************

Doc Lawson cut into his pork chops as if he intended to saw the plate in half. Im not happy, Joe, not happy at all. Ive lost half my patients to that Southerner with his new-fangled ideas.”

Reverend Fielden swallowed a mouthful of sausage and gravy. Im sorry, Bill, but I dont see that theres anything I can do about it.”

You could speak up about it. People running after every new little fad, its disloyal, its disruptive, its not their better nature. I would think they would know better, with that boy Jordan handling delicate medical instruments. What business does he have doing that? And filling half the prescriptions at Owens pharmacy. Laynes nothing but a charlatan, a fancy-talking nigger-lover.”

Fielden shook his head. Now, Bill, you cant hold it against a man just because hes colored. He cant help it.”

Lawson put his fork down and stared at the Reverend. Im not talking about that boy, Im talking about Layne. Something needs to be done to put him back in his place. As our native son Daniel Webster said, whatever makes men good Christians, makes them good citizens. And vice versa, as far as Im concerned. A good citizen isnt a flibbertigibbet, always chasing the latest novelty. Youve got to say something.”

Youre asking me to speak directly about one person. Well, two people, if you include young Mr. Owen.”

Lawson leaned forward. And what is it about young Mister Owen and Doctor Layne? They seem to be in on everything together. What are they up to? Theres something peculiar there. A little too friendly. Thick as thieves, Id say, if I didnt have a different crime in mind. And I dont think youd want to get a reputation for being too soft on that kind of thing.”

Now how can I say anything against Owen? Hes partners with the Aikens. Theyre the ones who searched me out for this pulpit.”

If you dont, you might not have much of a pulpit. I have quite a few merchants ready to jump ship to another church if you dont do something. Your collection plate might start to look a little empty.”

Now dont be like that, Bill. I cant just come out with a barefaced attack on two of Franklins citizens when they havent done anything wrong. You and Evans and Lippincott seem to think I have a lot more persuasive power than I really do.”

I dont know how much you have. I havent heard you try. If you dont at least try, what I said earlier stands.”

Ill have to be very careful how I go about this.”

Lawson pushed his plate away. Dont be so careful that folks cant understand what youre saying. Otherwise, you might seem to be endorsing that Layne-and-Owen lovefest, and a queer thing like that tends to rub off. On you. Plain speaking, Joe. Thats the New England way, and thats the best way."

Next week I will post new chapters on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Copyright © 2022 Refugium; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Small-minded bigots exist in every town.  Those with "power" don't like to share it with anyone and the "natural order" of the town has been disrupted, causing much discomfort to the existing power structure.  Interesting chapter.  How long till Miss Ellie is jilted once again?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, pvtguy said:

 How long till Miss Ellie is jilted once again?

All in good time, my pretty. These things must be done delicately.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Lawson, Evans, and Lippincott caterwauling to the good reverend are about to experience some blowback from the oscillating fecal fan dispenser.

With the good doctor well along his way establishing his practice and the  pharmacy/soda fountain taking off, the only thing I can see derailing Mr Owens and Dr Layne would be if their personal life were to be exposed.

Having the backing of Ellie's father and Uncle will go a long way towards them weathering the storm...that is until Ellie is shown the door and the curb to sit upon. But by then Owen may have the funds to survive that minor crisis or Dr Layne renders assistance...

Once the good reverend starts to open his mouth, they need to confront him with sound, reasoned facts and and advancements in medicine... 

Interior Of Old Fashioned Soda Fountain

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well the shop is a big success but that is creating jealousy and enemies. A very dangerous time for our two guys and Ellie as well. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..