Jump to content
    Refugium
  • Author
  • 1,688 Words
  • 893 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confluence - 3. Chapter 3

Please see title page / table of contents page for the two photographs which inspired this story.
Rev. Joseph Fielden was in fact the minister of Franklin's First Baptist Church for six years in the early 1870s, but his slanderous portrayal in this story is entirely fictional.

Doctor Layne!”

The sound of Owens voice from across the street interrupted Laynes contemplation of the white church before him. Layne was dressed in what he hoped was appropriately formal attire. He carried a silver-handled walking stick, more because he thought it suited the occasion than because he needed it; and he wore a heavy silver ring with a lapis lazuli stone. He turned to see Owen rushing toward him, away from a well-dressed young woman. She was holding an open umbrella, although the rain had ended several minutes before, and began gingerly picking her way among the puddles through which Owen dashed heedlessly

Good morning, Mr. Owen. Is this lovely young lady by any chance your fiancee?”

Yes. Hurry, Ellie!”

The young woman kept her focus on the wet street. Owen, if you were a gentleman, you would wait for me instead of running on ahead.”

Layne said quietly, She calls you Owen? Sounds like shes addressing a servant.”

You dont know the half of it,” Owen whispered, then called, Sweetheart, its not even raining. Stop worrying so much about your dress.”

You dont have to pay the cleaning bill,” Ellie said as she reached them. And this rain! Oh, I hate getting my things wet. Hello, Im Eleanor Aiken.” She offered her hand to Layne.

Charmed, Miss Aiken. Winfield Layne at your service.”

Doctor Laynes office is next door to the shop,” Owen said. He studied medicine in Paris.”

Not exactly --” Layne began.

Paris-France-Europe?” Ellie said breathlessly. Oh, my.”

I have to go help Ma,” Owen said, and rushed back across the street to a grey-haired woman in black.

Two middle-aged women, evidently acquaintances of Ellies, had approached. One of them asked, Whats this about Paris-France-Europe?

Doctor Layne here studied medicine in Paris-France-Europe with all the most famous doctors,” Ellie announced with utmost confidence.

Oh my,” one woman gushed. Paris-France-Europe!” The other woman echoed in awe, Oh! Paris-France-Europe!

Well, I was there, but my medical studies were principally in--”

Oh, Doctor Layne, you know perfectly well were not going to understand a word if you start speaking all that medical jargon. He always talks way over my head.”

And hes a war hero, Ma,” Owen interrupted, returning with the woman in black on his arm. He was the chief surgeon for the Union at Shiloh.” Glancing at the walking stick, he added, Saved hundreds of lives before he was wounded.”

Layne laughed. Mr. Owen is exaggerating terribly. I was a staff surgeon, doing what any surgeon would do, and I was wounded only very lightly.”

So modest,” Owen said. Under his breath he said to Layne, Im trying to help you here.” Louder he said, Ma, may I present my very good friend Doctor Winfield Layne.”

Mrs. Owen, Im delighted to make your acquaintance.”

Mrs. Owen allowed Layne to take her hand.

By now a crowd had gathered. Whispers of Paris-France-Europe!” surrounded Owen and Layne.

Mrs. Owen seemed on the point of saying something when Ellie touched Laynes arm. Owen tells me youve advised him to put a soda fountain in his pharmacy. I think its a wonderful idea. Im so glad he has an educated and cultured man as his friend. Dont you think its wonderful, Mrs. Owen?”

Mrs. Owen said, Oh -- I -- well, I -- that is --”

Layne tried to get a word in. Actually, I believe the soda fountain was Pau -- Mr. Owens idea, although I did see one at the Paris Expo.”

The Paris Expo! Imagine!” Ellie exclaimed.

Paris-France-Europe!” the crowd nodded sagely.

Doctor Layne, I would like you to escort me into the church, especially since Owen is being so rude this morning. Owen, dont neglect your Ma.” Ellie took Laynes arm and continued conspiratorially, We must work together to keep Owen in check.”

Im delighted to escort you, Miss Aiken, but I have little hope for controlling that high-spirited young man. Hes quite old enough to make his own decisions.”

Unfortunately,” Ellie sniffed.

Inside, Ellie took a center pew near the front. Owen sat his mother at her right and himself at her left, pulling Layne to his other side. Almost as soon as they were seated Owen jumped up and dragged Layne to meet the towns more prominent citizens, still shamelessly exaggerating Laynes accomplishments.

You must drawl,” Owen said quickly.

I must what?” Layne was perplexed.

You must exaggerate your accent. You dont talk like a local. So you must play up the difference. Speak with a Southern drawl. Then theyll think youre interesting, not suspicious.”

Layne could see women pointing him out to their friends, whose eyes opened wide as their mouths formed small os. The two men barely reached their seats in time for the opening hymn, River of Life” by Reverend Robert Lowry.

Blessed river, Let me ever

Feast my eyes on thee.

Stream full of life and gladness,

Spring of all health and peace,

No harps by thee hang silent,

Nor happy voices cease:

Tranquil river, Let me ever

Sit and sing by thee.

Tranquil river, Let me ever

Sit and sing by thee.

At each repetition of the word river” Owen pressed his leg into Laynes. As they sat, Owen whispered, I want to kiss you so bad right now.”

What are you two scheming about?” Ellie asked with an amused wink.

Oh, I was just telling Doctor Layne that I must introduce him to the pastor after the service,” Owen said.

Liar,” she said. I just know its something wicked. Put two boys together and they will surely get up to some devilment.”

Layne feigned indignation. Miss Aiken, how could you harbor such suspicions?”

I know my Owen. Hes probably planning to steal from the collection plate and is enlisting your nefarious aid.”

Im shocked that you would even imagine such a thing. It would be a violation of the oaths of my profession.”

Oh, you.” Ellie gave Layne a playful tap on the wrist. Mrs. Owen shot her an annoyed look but said nothing.

As is common, the church service was the least memorable part of the morning. True to his word, at the end of the service, Owen introduced Layne to the pastor, Reverend Joseph Fielden. The pastor was duly impressed.

I think its a fine thing for a young man like Mister Owen to have a cultured professional man as his friend,” Reverend Fielden intoned. Have you been baptized, Doctor Layne?”

In a manner of speaking.”

Reverend Fielden looked at Layne quizzically, but continued. You know, when this church was first built, before there was a baptistery, baptisms were done in the Winnipesaukee.”

Baptized in the Winnipesaukee,” Layne said. How poetic.” He caught Owens eye. I can picture it clearly.”

Owen kicked Laynes foot. Oh, Doctor Layne, how clumsy of me.”

Now, Mister Owen, have you been remembering what we said in my office?”

A momentary look of panic crossed Owens face.

Layne raised an index finger. No coffee, only tea, and you must get more help with the shop. That clumsiness is from overwork and strained nerves.”

Oh. Right.” Owen relaxed.

I can see that youre going to be a very positive influence on our young Mister Owen, Doctor Layne,” Fielden pronounced.

I like to think so,” Layne responded.

Doctor Layne,” Owen said, grasping the doctors arm and pulling him away, you must meet Mister Aiken. Excuse us, Reverend.”

Aiken? Which man do you mean?”

Owen steered him toward two serious-looking middle-aged men. The bald one. Jonas Aiken, Ellies father.”

Oh, I see.”

My father worked for him.”

Is that why she calls you Owen -- because she regards you as an employee?”

At best. The man to the right of him is his brother Walter Aiken. His money built this church.”

I knew that name was familiar.”

They reached the Aikens.

Mister Aiken,” Owen addressed Jonas Aiken. May I present my very good friend Doctor Winfield Layne.”

Doctor Layne,” Jonas said. The church has been buzzing with your exploits this morning. How is it we have not had the pleasure of your acquaintance until now?”

Evidently, until I met Mister Owen here, I was laying low and hiding my light under a bushel. In fact I had no idea I had so many accomplishments until he started lying outrageously about them this morning.”

Jonas Aiken laughed heartily. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between, and probably closer to Owens account.”

Ellie had approached the little conclave. Much closer, Papa. I believe Doctor Layne will be wonderful for Owen. Hes already managed to talk more sense into him in one week than I have in a year.”

Walter Aiken extended his hand to the doctor. So pleased to make your acquaintance, Doctor Layne. Are you in general practice? A specialist of some kind?”

I was a surgeon during the war,” Layne answered. Now its general practice for me, and surgery only occasionally.”

Hes a wonderful doctor,” Owen said.

Oh, have you availed yourself of his services?” Jonas inquired.

Owen blushed.

Just a little consultation,” Layne said. Nothing I would even charge for.”

You mustnt do too much charity work, Doctor Layne,” Walter Aiken warned him. Your time and expertise are your stock in trade. You must charge accordingly.”

Oh, I dont consider it charity,” Layne said. More like an investment.”

Jonas Aiken nodded. Yes, an investment in our youth is an investment in our own future.”

Exactly,” Layne responded.

Papa? Uncle?” Ellie said, taking both their arms. I want to talk to you both. About an investment opportunity. Now, Doctor Layne, I give you full charge of Owen. I trust you to make sure he doesnt get into any trouble.”

I wont let him do anything I wouldnt do,” Layne assured her as she steered the older men away.

I cant wait to get you alone,” Owen said quietly.

You took the words right out of my mouth,” Layne answered.

I cant get away today. Every Sunday Ma stuffs me with a big dinner and then the Aikens stuff me with another one.”

Then we shall have to be patient. Tomorrow.”

I will be posting new chapters on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Copyright © 2022 Refugium; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 11
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

 

Refugium,

Very Interesting Chapter Indeed , The Good Doctor meeting Owen’s Fiancé & His Mother and Future In-Laws . Everyone in Small Towns Knows Everyone’s Business too lol ,

     Thank You for The Latest Chapter.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Wonder what would happen if Ellie had a bucket of water thrown at here, or a house land on her...what a handful...we know that she is a force to be reckoned with... and not necessarily for good...

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Paul (or 'Owen'as Ellie refers to him like a servant), needs to extract himself from his fiancee's controlling attitude. I think Winfield will be good for him in that regard.

Meanwhile with one trip to church Dr. Layne has set town tongues wagging.

Well written and edited.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Paulie's mother seems to have some disdain for Ellie!  Hope she speaks up - but may not, considering the attitude towards women in that time.  Ellie would have to promise to "love and obey" should she marry Paul, and there is little chance that would happen.  Still, a small town does not offer the privacy or acceptance that would be needed in this situation.  I am eager to see how the story progresses.  Good job!

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I confess to worrying where this might go. After all, in the 1870s there was no way for gay men to have a future together -- was there? You've got me hooked!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/8/2022 at 8:26 PM, JohnnyC said:

 

Refugium,

Very Interesting Chapter Indeed , The Good Doctor meeting Owen’s Fiancé & His Mother and Future In-Laws . Everyone in Small Towns Knows Everyone’s Business too lol ,

     Thank You for The Latest Chapter.

Win and Paulie are going to have to be very very discreet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/9/2022 at 5:39 AM, drsawzall said:

Wonder what would happen if Ellie had a bucket of water thrown at here, or a house land on her...what a handful...we know that she is a force to be reckoned with... and not necessarily for good...

She certainly is a steamroller

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..