Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 653 Words
  • 1,239 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tommy - A Life - 10. Chapter 10 - A New Life Begins

Chapter 10 - A New Life Begins
Having something to do can be great therapy.

 

Tommy awoke to the smell of coffee. On a small table by the window of his bedroom, breakfast had been laid. On the bench at the foot of the bed, clothes had been laid out for him. He got up to use the bathroom. In the mirror, his face shocked him. He was unshaven, unkempt, and worn from grief. He splashed his face and resolved to face the day. First, that good smelling breakfast. He had always been the one to prepare breakfast for Billy when they were together – Billy just called out for delivery. As much as he appreciated the efforts of the Hopkins, he could manage for himself. But here it was, perfect.

He ate then returned to the bathroom. All his personal care products had been unpacked and placed in the most logical of orders. He set about washing and shaving then took a shower. It was several minutes before he was able to adjust all the many nozzles to inoffensive angles. A few tickled enough to get him to laugh.

As he went to put on the clothes that had been left for him, he recognized them as his original school jeans and shirt. As he picked them up he heard the now familiar discreet knock at the door.

“Yes?”

“I beg your pardon, sir, I thought you might be tackling the study and would prefer some rough clothes for the task. I’ve taken the liberty of providing dusting cloths and furniture oil, and a feather duster that would work well on the books. There is oil for the bindings as well.”

Hopkins retired from the room and Tommy dressed. He went into the study, first opening each of the three windows. He took the vacuum cleaner provided and made a first pass over the room, collecting the worst of the accumulated dust and debris. Though he decided to work through the room methodically, each new shelf cascaded dust back onto all the clean surfaces as soon as touched.

The task took on the aspect of an archeological dig, removing layer after layer of dust and dirt. Slowly the titles of the books emerged from the grime. Classical literature, a complete Shakespeare, Milton, Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau and other philosophers, Whitman, Millay, Poe and other poets. Art books and scientific texts. First editions, fine bindings, rare old books. He carefully cleaned each one, often pausing to glance through them. A surprising number had dedications from the authors. This was the library of an educated man, one dedicated to arts and ideas. A man Tommy knew he would admire. A man Tommy hoped would like him.

Again, the knock at the door. Hopkins appeared suggesting that luncheon was in order, being well past one. A whiskbroom appeared in his hand and he attempted to tidy Tommy. Tommy took another look at the room where he had been working. While far from finished, it too had been transformed, returned to its purpose. Fully cleaning and preparing the books would probably take all summer. He was happy for the task, a task to fill the time left void by Billy.

Tommy spent his days restoring the library to order. His nights he spent alone, recalling each day with Billy, from the moment they met until the horrid scene in the apartment, the passion and loving, the fun and good times, the quiet hours spent in each other’s company. At times he laughed at funny moments. Sleep came each night in a tide of tears.

Charles stopped by every other week or so. Mrs. Hopkins always had a special meal prepared, proudly served by Hopkins in the dining room. Charles kept the conversation alive with stories of the outrages of the gay society Tommy had been introduced to by Billy. Charles hoped that the gossip would entice Tommy to accept an invitation to participate. Tommy promised to think about it.

End of Chapter 10
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..