Jump to content
    Ron
  • Author
  • 1,624 Words
  • 1,203 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Prompting - 1. Prompt 303

First Line: "How did you get into my room?"

The Remarkable Unremembered Boy

By R.L. Hunter

 

“How did you get into my room?”

Tom stood in his doorway, waiting for an answer to his question. A figure was sitting in shadow on the swivel chair placed in front of his computer desk. In fact, that entire end of his room was in shadow, and Tom just now realized it and how strange that was, considering he had flipped the switch for the overhead light.

“Do you remember when we met?” The figure asked. He, it was definitely a he, and his voice had a light, musical quality about it. Tom thought he heard birds singing in the background.

“What do you want?” asked Tom. He reached for the door jamb to steady himself. “Who are you?”

A hand with long delicate fingers reached from the shadows to point at the bed. Tom looked to where the finger was pointing to find a beautifully painted wooden bird. The paint was so fine, it almost looked like a real feathered bird.

“Please. Pick it up.”

***

“Mom,” Tommy whined his mother’s name, “why did we have to move way out here in the country?”

“For the hundredth time, Tommy, we aren’t moving to the country. We’re here because your grand aunt died and we have to settle her estate.”

“But who was she?” Tommy whined again.

This got Tommy a long lecture as to who, and the why, and the furthermore, of the situation. And then he got shuffled outside to… Go and play.

Once outside, Tommy skipped his way along the garden paths that his grand aunt had so carefully arranged and maintained. It was a great pleasure of hers, gardening, and she spent as much time as her old bones would allow doing it. Tommy, of course, didn’t appreciate the intricacies of color and height, or the play of texture among the leaves, or the buds and blossoms. But he did appreciate the bees. Soon it was a game of running and dodging, and ducking and sliding, in order to slip down the paths without running into any of the bees. This lasted until he came upon a wall with a wooden gate in it. A gate that Tommy nearly ran into, before he skidded to a stop.

“Whoa!” cried Tommy. “Cool.”

Indeed the gate was cool. The face of it was covered with carved ivy, the vines twisting and turning, and right in the middle was a small birds nest, and next to it was a small bird, painted in the most beautiful colors. Tommy reached out to touch it, and the bird peeped, and the gate swung outward to open. Tommy stuck his head through the gate and looked about and stepped through.

“Hello,” he heard. Tommy’s head darted here and there, and then back through the gate entry behind him, but he found no one. That is, until the gate swung shut, and there stood a boy just about Tommy’s height and just about his age.

“Hi, my name is Tommy. What’s yours?”

“My name is Na’oom,” said the little boy.

“How come your ears are pointy, Na’oom?” asked Tommy.

“Always have been. Why are yours round?”

“Same I guess.” Tommy shrugged. “Do you want to play?”

“Sure, I know the best places,” said Na’oom. He reached out and grabbed Tommy’s hand, and tugged. “Come on, let’s go.”

The boys ran across and through a field of wild-flowers as tall as their heads. Na’oom pulled Tommy along by his hand, looking back occasionally to smile and laugh. At the end of the field they rushed to a stop, and Tommy saw the biggest trees in front of him, rising up, up, up into the sky. Bigger than the redwoods he saw on his summer vacation last year. Na’oom put a finger to his lips in a shushing motion, hunkered down and motioned for Tommy to follow him. This was a game Tommy liked, and he scuffled along quietly behind his new friend up to the rough, dark brown bark of the nearest tree. Motioning for Tommy to look, Na’oom moved aside and Tommy looked through a blackberry bramble with ripe, purple black fruit, bigger than his thumb. On the other side of the bramble was a pool, and drinking from it, the strangest deer that he had ever seen. It was small, and its antlers spiraled out of its head in sharp curves that twisted back on themselves, over and again, only to end in sharp spikes of silver. Suddenly, the deer pulled its head back, its ears twitched and its mouth opened in a yawn wider than Tommy’s head, and filled with sharp teeth. Just then, right at the corner of Tommy’s eye, a piece of the tree’s bark looked at him. It blinked and Tommy drew back. The bark detached itself from the tree and he could see legs, tiny feet, a body and the head belonging to the eyes. It appeared to be some kind of lizard, which looked exactly like bark. The creature arched its back, took one last look at Tommy, and with a clicking noise, launched itself to sail through the air and landed on another tree. Tommy fell back to land on his butt in surprise. Na’oom rolled over on to his side and laughed and laughed.

“That was crazy,” said Tommy aloud. This caused a loud trumpeting to come from the other side of the blackberry bramble, he had forgotten about the deer.

“Run!” yelled Na’oom. The boys took off and were soon happily lost among the woods.

The day was spent in exploring and Na’oom showed Tommy the many interesting things of the woods. They ate when they felt hungry, and napped throughout the day, and talked. Tommy told his new friend why he was visiting. Na’oom said that his grand aunt must have been very old indeed to have died. He encouraged Tommy to stay and play with him as long as forever, and off they went to have fun, and to learn the ins and outs of the woods.

Tommy woke with a start, he heard someone crying. Na’oom was asleep, beside him still, where they lay in the tall grass at the edge of the woods. The crying continued and then someone called his name. Tommy recognized the voice and it was his mother. He shook his new, beloved friend.

“Na’oom, wake up! My mom’s crying!”

“Yes, I can hear her,” Na’oom said sleepily.

“I have to go, Na’oom. I have to go find her. Come on, help me!” cried Tommy.

Tommy grabbed his friends hand and dragged him from their nest of grass to run, hand in hand, toward the sound of Tommy’s mother’s cries. They reached the gate and Na’oom pulled back.

“I cannot pass the gate, Tommy. I am not allowed yet, and I am not strong enough,” said Na’oom.

“What do you mean, Na’oom? Come with me, I have to go…my mom needs me.”

“Listen to me, Tommy. I cannot go with you, it is against the rules.” Na’oom reached out to the gate and plucked the painted bird from its perch in the ivy. He cupped his hands around it and spoke one word, “Remember.”

“Here, Tommy, don’t lose it.” Na’oom put the bird safely in Tommy’s hand and closed his fingers around it tightly. “If you keep it close, you will always remember me, and you can come back.”

“I will and I’ll see you soon,” said Tommy. He waved to his friend and then ran pell-mell through the flowers as direct as he could, ignoring the garden paths. Concentrating on his mother’s voice and running, Tommy didn’t realize when it happened, that the pretty bird flew out of his hand to land amongst the flowers in the garden.

 

***

Tom landed on the bed heavily, still holding the beautiful painted bird in his hand, he had remembered.

“I was gone for over a year. My parents, the police and neighbors, searched and searched for me. There weren’t any clues as to what happened to me, my face was on milk cartons. My mother came back to grieve, every couple of months, and she was there that day I heard her cry.” Tom turned toward the shadows. “Do you have any notion of what happened? An eight year old boy goes missing for fourteen months and comes back looking the same, wearing the same clothes, a little dirty from playing, and he has this fantastical story of playing in the woods with his new friend.

“The gate was gone. There wasn’t any woods, just some scrub trees at the back of the lot. Nothing to convince them of anything. They were glad to have me back, my parents, but no one believed me. Everyone thought I was traumatized somehow and that my mind had made everything up. And I forgot, I lost the bird and I forgot. All of it, gone after a time. I went on to live my life and now this.”

“I am sorry Tommy. I did not know how different that boys like you were at the time. I enjoyed our day so much. It was long before I could cross the gate and find the token I gave you. It was even more difficult to find you.”

“So it is you, I wasn’t sure. Why come after so long, Na’oom? What do you hope will happen?” asked Tom. “It’s been nearly thirty years.”

“I have missed you, Tommy.”

A hand with long delicate fingers reached out from the shadows, palm side up and waiting.

“I have come to see if you want to join me again. Maybe, as long as forever this time?”

I hope you like my Prompt 303 story. Hit the like button and leave a review. I would love to hear what you think.
2014 R.L. Hunter; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love elves. You have a very sweet little tale there Ron. I know from the many stories I've read that time in Faerie isn't the same as time in the human world. So what was a day for him was over a year here. I wonder what his decision will be. Does he have a wife and children, or a partner he loves, or did some part of him still long for the strange boy with the pointed ears. Nicely done, Ron.

Link to comment

Beautiful story Ron. Nicely told. I liked the difference between the two gardens/worlds and the description of how Tom dodged the bees. I could see it and almost hear them hum.

Would it be bad if I wanted to know more? Although, this ending is good too, I have to make up my own story out of it. Thank you. :)

Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 11:05 AM, comicfan said:
I love elves. You have a very sweet little tale there Ron. I know from the many stories I've read that time in Faerie isn't the same as time in the human world. So what was a day for him was over a year here. I wonder what his decision will be. Does he have a wife and children, or a partner he loves, or did some part of him still long for the strange boy with the pointed ears. Nicely done, Ron.
As soon as I saw the sentence for the prompt...the idea for the story was just there, you know what I mean? I couldn't respond right away but the story idea never left me. I enjoy reading about the fae too and this is my first time writing about them. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for your review.
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 11:36 AM, joann414 said:
Love, love, loved it. How sweet, Ron and great writing. :)
I'm so happy you liked it. Maybe reading all of those editing threads have paid off, huh?
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 11:48 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Such a lovely, haunting tale. Beautiful writing Ron. Thank you!
Thank you, Cole. I appreciate your commenting and thanks for the review.
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 02:01 PM, AceKebabs said:
almost made me cry T.T eerie, yet calming. Love it, Uncle Ron :thumbup:
Aww shucks, thanks so much for reading, Petey. Thanks for your review.
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 07:42 PM, aditus said:
Beautiful story Ron. Nicely told. I liked the difference between the two gardens/worlds and the description of how Tom dodged the bees. I could see it and almost hear them hum.

Would it be bad if I wanted to know more? Although, this ending is good too, I have to make up my own story out of it. Thank you. :)

Your are welcome and it was my great pleasure to post this story. Young boys can make a game out of anything with a little imagination and writing about Tommy and the bees brought out the little boy in me. It felt right to end the tale when I did. Thank you for your review, Aditus.
Link to comment
On 03/06/2014 08:59 PM, countess2093 said:
A wonderful story, beautifully written. Loved it!
Thank you for saying so, it makes me feel good, and thank you for the review, Countess.
Link to comment
On 03/07/2014 06:20 AM, knotme said:
Great take on the prompt! I agree with other reviewers.
Thanks for reading and reviewing, Knotme. Much appreciated!
Link to comment

OMG - how did I miss this one ?? Wonderful, beautiful story. l loved it !! :D :D I would be very happy if you continued this wonderful story :hug:

Link to comment
On 03/10/2014 06:43 PM, Slytherin said:
OMG - how did I miss this one ?? Wonderful, beautiful story. l loved it !! :D :D I would be very happy if you continued this wonderful story :hug:
You're wonderful for the review, Slytherin. I'm very happy that you liked my tale. Thanks you.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..