Jump to content
    rustle
  • Author
  • 1,658 Words
  • 1,878 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Not Done Yet - 18. E.R.

E.R.

Jessie told James, and he got on the phone, talking to everyone he could reach, and leaving messages for the rest. Casey had his phone turned off and Carol told James he was taking an evening run. Charles’ stock had been fed and bedded down for the night, so James, Jessie, and Mary set up a schedule for the next day to take care of them, and agreed to talk about it again the next day. Mary was going to have her dad take her to the hospital, and James and Jessie grabbed the keys and ran to the car.

When James headed for the driver’s door, Jessie asked him, “Are you OK to drive, James? You don’t look too steady.” He had his hand on the door handle, and Jessie laid hers on top and squeezed.

His voice was soft but icy when he answered, “I can get us there. Get in.” Jessie looked hard at her boy, but said nothing as she went to the other side of the car.

A few minutes later, James spoke again, “Who would do this, Mom? It’s SAM, for pete’s sake. He’s nice to everybody, and he doesn’t have an enemy in the world.” James was driving slow and steady, both hands on the wheel, despite shaking his head to sling the tears out of this eyes.

Next to him, Jessie was pale, and wearing her pink bunny slippers, she’d left in such a hurry. “Honey, I don’t know, but try as I might, I can’t think anything but the worst. When a person is attacked who has no enemies, it’s because someone doesn’t like who he is, not what he does.”

James’ hands tightened on the wheel as he ground his teeth. They drove the rest of the way in silence. When they turned into the driveway for the E.R., James told his mom, “Go ahead on in, and I’ll park the car. I’ll be right there.”

James never saw his mom run like she did when he stopped the car. He turned into the lot and parked, as focused as he’d ever been on a hunt. Walking into the emergency room, a nurse saw his face, took two steps back, and shook herself after he passed.

Straight ahead was the admitting desk, so he started in that direction, but his mom called out from his left. He spotted her with Charles, and went to sit with them. Charles was gripping his knees and releasing them, over and over, rocking slightly. James sat on the opposite side of Charles and put his arm around the man’s shoulder. He didn’t say a word, but Charles looked over at him and tried to smile, before he went back to clutching his knees and rocking.

“The doctor’s looking at him now. The EMTs couldn’t tell much because of all the blood, but they say a scalp wound always bleeds a lot. Just got to wait and see.” James squeezed the man’s shoulder a little tighter. Jessie had Charles’ hand on the other side, and tightened her grip, too, for an instant.

The entry door opened again, and all three looked up to see Mary rush in, straight toward the desk. James called out and stood to bring her to them, but when she turned at his voice, she crumpled to the floor. Her dad walked in just in time to see James rush to her side and help her sit up.

They waved off a nurse, and between James and her dad, Mary was able to make it back to join Charles and Jessie. When she sat next to Charles, the dam burst, and she began to sob. Charles gathered her in and held her, looking over at her father. Mary’s dad was obviously concerned about her, but after making sure she was alright, he told Charles, “I can’t believe we’re here, Charles. Your son is one of the finest young men I’ve ever met. Who would do this?”

“Greg, it’s not who. It’s what. Hatred, pure hatred. My boy has no enemies. You know him; the whole world is his best friend.” Charles hung his head, stroking Mary’s hair as she leaned against his chest, still sobbing.

A doctor came into the waiting room. Looking around, he spotted Charles, and came over. “Mr. Murphy, I’m Dr. Carroll. I’ve been tending to your son, Sam.”

Charles stood with Mary and Jessie on each side to steady him. “Yes sir?”

“He took a heavy blow to the head. There’s been some blood loss, but not as much as it appeared. Scalp wounds tend to bleed freely. That’s been taken care of. We’re more concerned about the possibility of a concussion. We need to keep him here tonight for observation, and probably at least tomorrow night, as well, just to make certain he’s out of danger and to assess any further injuries. Right now, it’s too soon to say anything for sure. Do you have any questions?”

“Can I see my boy, doc?”

“Sure. He’s being moved to a room now. You’re welcome to visit him, but no more than two at a time, and try not to get him excited. May I ask what happened?”

“My son was attacked at our home, doctor. We heard noises outside, and when we went to check it out, someone jumped him from behind.”

“Have you talked with the police, Mr. Murphy?”

“Ms. Batisse here did that when she first arrived, told ‘em everything I know. They’re sending a squad car to our home, and another is due here any time.” He nodded toward Jessie.

“That’s good. Your son will be in a private room if you or someone else would like to stay with him overnight. I need to run and look in on another patient, but I’ll ask someone to take you to Sam as soon as he’s settled in.”

Jessie spoke first, “Thank you, doctor. We appreciate anything you can do to help Sam. He’s a special young man.”

The doctor looked closely at Jessie, then, for the first time, and said, “Jessie? I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you at first. You know this young man, I take it?”

“Yes, that’s correct. I’ve known Sam almost his whole life, and Charles, here, a few years longer.”

“Well, we’ll keep a sharp eye on him, but I suspect there will be no lasting injury. I’ve got to run now. Have a good evening.” He nodded at Charles, then, and turned and walked back into the treatment areas.

“Mr. Murphy, may I stay with him tonight?” Mary looked up into Charles’ eyes after glancing at her father.

Charles looked over at Mary’s father. He didn’t look totally comfortable. “Greg, are you alright with that? I’ll be here too, in the same room with them.”

Mary’s dad smiled. “Charles, if that’s OK with you, it’s fine with me. Honey, do you or Charles need anything tonight? I can bring it back before I settle in.”

Both Mary and Charles shook their heads no, just as an orderly walked up. “Excuse me. Sam is settled in his room now, and I understood you wanted to see him. You can only go back two at a time. Did the doctor explain that he shouldn’t get excited?”

After a chorus of yesses, Mary and Charles followed the orderly. The others made their plans for the night and the next day. After everyone had a chance to see Sam, to hold his hand, and tell him they loved him, Greg left, pressing Mary’s hand first. Only then did James say, “Hey, where’s Casey? He should be here by now.”

Quiet panic swept across their faces. Everyone knew how close the two boys were. Jessie was dialing Carol Fisher’s number in an instant, and looked immediately relieved when she got an answer. A quick conversation followed, and Jessie told everyone Casey and Jim had gone to Charles’ house to keep an eye on things. James pulled out his cell phone and called Casey, and a couple of minutes later, he announced, “They’re over there now. The police already left. They took sleeping bags to stay the night.”

Charles nearly panicked. “What?! No! They can’t do that! James, Jessie, please, tell them to leave there right now. I don’t want them where my boy was hurt. Somebody may still be around, up to no good, and I don’t want nobody else gettin’ hurt!”

It took James and Jessie several minutes to convince Charles it was the smartest thing to do, but he insisted they stay inside the house and lock the doors. He took James aside and gave him his key, so they could let Casey and his dad in the house.

“James, you listen to me good,” Charles hissed quietly, so nobody else heard, “You tell them my gun is next to the couch, and keep it handy. Somethin’s in the air that I haven’t felt for many years, and bein’ friends with a black man may not be the safest thing. Tell ‘em to keep their eyes and ears open, and don’t go out of the house to check on anything. Better to lose it all than to have somebody else end up like my boy or worse. You tell ‘em!” Charles’ hands were shaking, but James took the key and steadied Charles’ hand.

“I’ll do it, and when Sam wakes up in the morning, tell him we’re all rooting for him, and we’ll all be visiting just as soon as we can.” Jessie walked up and hugged Charles, and she and James walked out to the car.

“What was Charles telling you, James? He looked shaken.”

“He asked me to tell them they’d have to cook their own breakfast, ‘cause he couldn’t get back in time.”

Jessie looked over at James, but didn’t say anything, as they started out toward Charles’ house. It was a quiet drive.

2015-2016 Russell Kyle, all rights reserved. Not to be reproduced without written consent of the author.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's appalling that in this day and age there's still racism. Don't people ever learn?

 

It seems like Sam will be all right, which is great. I just hope nothing happens to Casey and Jim.

Link to comment

Hate. It looks the same whatever the motive.

 

I never trusted that town. No bicycles??

 

I'm sure the situation will get worse before it gets better.

Link to comment
On 12/07/2015 01:53 PM, Lisa said:

It's appalling that in this day and age there's still racism. Don't people ever learn?

 

It seems like Sam will be all right, which is great. I just hope nothing happens to Casey and Jim.

Welcome to small town Texas. Backwaters tend to be stagnant.

Link to comment
On 12/07/2015 02:05 PM, skinnydragon said:

Hate. It looks the same whatever the motive.

 

I never trusted that town. No bicycles??

 

I'm sure the situation will get worse before it gets better.

Motive? Seems to me the most useless question to ask is why.

 

Believe it or not, bicycles could easily shut down the whole town. There's a huge bike rally with thousands of riders that goes through from Houston to Austin once a year/ That's why they banned bicycles downtown.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..