Jump to content
    rustle
  • Author
  • 1,621 Words
  • 3,589 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Not Done Yet - 9. Let Me Start Over

Thank you, K.C., for everything.

Let Me Start Over

Sam was in the driver seat, and James was riding shotgun in Mr. Reeves’ rusted-out pickup. The old truck’s shocks squeaked every time they hit a bump, and since the road wasn’t paved, the noise never stopped.

“Take it easy, Sam! I just got a new filling, and I don’t want to lose it ‘cause you’re racing down a goat path.” Right then, Sam hit a deep rut. While the truck lurched, James clutched the door handle and he let out a yelp. “I wish this thing at least had seat belts, so I didn’t have to worry about getting’ thrown out,” he yelled over the din.

“What was that? I couldn’t hear you over the radio,” Sam shouted, holding the steering wheel tight, while he tried to avoid the worst of the washboard ruts they were bouncing over.

“What are you talking about? The radio’s not on!”

“I thought for sure all the racket was some of that music you’re always wanting me to listen to. You mean it’s not?” Sam glanced over, grinning wide, his eyes lit up in mischief.

James yelled, “Stop the truck!” When they stopped moving, James popped the stick out of gear, reached over and turned off the ignition. “You can shake my kidneys loose and sling my guts around on this game trail you call a road, but you will NOT insult my music.” He pulled out the key, opened his door and got out. “Slide over. I’m driving.” James walked around the back of the truck and got in behind the wheel. “Shoulda never offered to teach ya.”

Sam got quiet and frowned until he looked over at James, who was smirking. Softly, James said, “I’m just kiddin’, Sam. I’m happy to teach ya. Let’s get back to a real road. This is no way to learn. We can go to an empty parking lot, instead, so you don’t have to navigate this mine field.”

James started up the truck and put it in gear; they headed back to the paved road. “You’ve been kinda quiet lately. Something on your mind?”

Sam looked down at his hands, bouncing in his lap. “I’m just thinking about somebody. I really like her, but I don’t know how to let her know.”

James turned quick to avoid an especially nasty bump, and recovered, straightening the truck out again. “Well, it doesn’t get much simpler than that. Do you talk to her?”

“Yes.”

“Do you laugh at the same things?”

“Uh huh.”

“Seems to me, you don’t always have to say things right out. If you spend time together, and you enjoy the same things when you’re together, you can always say how much you enjoy doing what you’re doing, and how nice it is to be doing it together.”

“Oh.”

“What? Is there something else? Does she already have a boyfriend?”

“No, it’s not that. At least, I don’t think so. It’s just… she’s white, James.”

“So?”

“In case you hadn’t noticed, I’m not.”

“You think that’s a problem for her?” He tapped the brakes to ease between the wheel ruts.

“I don’t think so, but you never know. Her daddy might not like it much.”

“Buddy, just take it one step at a time. Things work out. Not always the way we want, but things work out.”

“But –“

“Listen, Sam. If you like her, and she likes you back, who cares what anybody else thinks? If things get serious, you’ve got all the time in the world to win her daddy over. And if anybody can, it’s you. You’re good looking, smart, and a great guy all around. Well, except for that one thing—“

“What?!”

“Well, OK, maybe more than one -- you can’t ride a horse for squat. And you pick your nose with the wrong finger. Oh, and that chronic gas you get.”

James barely got his hand up in time to keep Sam from slapping him on the back of the head, and he started laughing at his friend. Then, he was laughing with him as they came to the paved road.

“Come on. Let’s get you home, so I can finish my rounds before I have to take Mr. Reeves’ truck back.”

“I can’t thank you enough for teaching me.”

“Don’t try. You’ll just owe me one later.”

*

Driving down the gravel road from his last stop, James was about to pass by the driveway, but something made him slow down and look. Lying on top of the snake-shaped wall, wearing nothing but a pair of shorts, was Casey. He looked like he was asleep, so James pulled slowly past the drive and parked the truck on the road, shutting the door quietly. He walked back to the drive and crept over to the snake wall, Slither, like he was stalking a rabbit.

He was busy admiring Casey, laid out in the dappled sunlight, when a quiet voice spoke, “See anything ya like?” James shot his eyes back up to Casey’s face with a slight blush.

“No, no, it’s just… oh hell, let me just say it. What are you dressed up for? You don’t look like an Indian.” James smiled when he said it, remembering the first conversation he and Casey had, when he’d found Casey sleeping under a tree with a nasty bruise on his face. Casey had said the same thing back then.

They hadn’t talked to each other since the fire. They’d seen each other at school, locked eyes a few times, but they didn’t have any classes together. Somehow, with all the changes in Casey’s life, he and James hadn’t picked back up where they’d left off.

Casey sat up, and hopped down from the wall with a smile. When James stepped back, Casey stopped, dead still, and hung his head. When he looked back up, tears were running down his face. “James, I’m so fuckin’ sorry. I’ve thought about you every single day for what seems like forever, but I’ve never had the balls to say anything.”

“What is there to say?” James raked his hair back and peered at Casey.

“You’re not making this any easier.”

James cocked his head to the side, and his eyes narrowed, but he didn’t say anything.

“When I first ended up in a foster home, I found out you’d had something to do with me winding up here. I was scared spitless, and didn’t know what to think. I was so fucked up, somehow I twisted my being in a foster into being your fault, at first. If you just hadn’t lent me that stove, I mighta still been free, and coulda talked my sister into comin’ to get me. That kinda shit.”

James looked down, shifted his feet, then glared at Casey, but he didn’t say a word.

Casey looked right back at James and continued, “After a few days, I figured out just how lucky I was. Jim and Carol treated me more like a son than my own parents ever had. The guy from Children’s Protective Services told me what you did – how you talked Jim and Carol into fostering one more kid, and talked him out of just shipping me off to juvie. He told me what you did, talking to your grandfather, asking him to help. And I was ashamed. Ashamed to think I’d ever blamed you for a damn thing, even if it was only in my thoughts. You’ve been nothing but the best friend to me that you possibly could have.

“I’ve tried to ask Jim how to get in touch with you, but the words dried up in my mouth. I tried to walk up to you in school, but I just couldn’t. It shoulda been so easy, but I couldn’t. And the longer it’s been, the harder it’s seemed. I made the baseball team, and got so busy with school, work, here, the team, I’d forget about you for a while – a few minutes at first, then a couple hours, later. At least, I told myself I was busy. But I always came back to thinkin’ about you. It was the most important thing in my life, and I couldn’t face up to it.”

James stood there, quiet. His glare softened. He half raised his hand, trembling a little, and let it fall. He looked down at his feet, then back up at Casey. He took a hesitant step forward, then two, and reached out with both arms. Pulling Casey in tight, James cupped the back of the other boy’s head while Casey sobbed into his shoulder. James took in a long breath, full of the clean, warm scent, and fought to swallow in a dry throat and keep from crying, himself. He let out a soft sigh.

James held him for a couple of minutes, until Casey quieted and sniffed; James bent his head down and gently kissed Casey at the base of the neck. He rubbed the larger boy’s back, dropped his arms, and Casey took half a step back. He wiped his nose, then his cheeks, and sniffed again before he met James’ eyes, and just murmured, “Thanks.”

James stood still for a moment, before saying, “I’ve got to get going and return the truck to Mr. Reeves before sundown. But I’ll see you around, and I’ll make a point of walkin’ up to ya, if you don’t walk up to me…

“Casey –“

“Yeh?”

James fumbled with the keys hanging from his belt loop and seemed to change his mind about what he was going to say. “Umm…nothin’. I’ll see you in school.” James turned on his heel and walked down the drive.

Thanks for following. The interest y'all have shown has been a very pleasant surprise.
I hope you enjoyed the chapter.
2015-2016 Russell Kyle, all rights reserved. Not to be reproduced without written consent of the author.
  • Like 37
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

My heart aches for James. He seems to be such a gentleman and a gentle man. I hope Casey pulls his head out soon!!!

Link to comment
On 02/25/2015 01:05 PM, Gene63 said:
My heart aches for James. He seems to be such a gentleman and a gentle man. I hope Casey pulls his head out soon!!!
Casey's enjoying being popular and the center of attention for the first time. It's a dizzying feeling when you haven't known it before, and you find yourself with more than you ever dreamed of having - stability, belonging, being in demand.

 

It's hard to see the change in yourself. Sometimes, it takes a while.

Link to comment

I'm surprised James hasn't tried to reach out to Casey though. He hasn't tried to go hang out with him. I agree Casey might be seduced right now by popularity and I'm disappointed that he doesn't remember that he'd not have had a chance for any of this without James. At the same time, I think James is not acting true to himself. He is so bitter right now about the way the jocks are and I think he's assuming Casey will become that. Casey's attention to girls is obviously hard for him to take too. That said, that bitter boy we just heard on the hill doesn't seem like James. The idea that he'd become like them is ridiculous. If any person is a strong and good soul it's that kid. it makes me sad that he seems to be terrified to reach out. I'm sad he's as much of a loner as we now see. I hope things change.

Link to comment

I know that this will eventually work out for James, but I feel for him in the moment. He needs an outlet. Maybe track (cross country?) can be that outlet.

 

It sounds like the coach cares about his students. Hopefully he's the one that picks James up from his hitchhiking.

Link to comment
On 02/25/2015 03:03 PM, jamessavik said:
It appears that James isn't fearless after all. He just has a different set.
Nobody's without fears. They usually cause us to act poorly toward others.

 

These guys are teenagers, and appear mature until they're in over their heads. Then, you can see their lack of confidence tripping them up.

Link to comment
On 02/25/2015 04:13 PM, Cannd said:
I'm surprised James hasn't tried to reach out to Casey though. He hasn't tried to go hang out with him. I agree Casey might be seduced right now by popularity and I'm disappointed that he doesn't remember that he'd not have had a chance for any of this without James. At the same time, I think James is not acting true to himself. He is so bitter right now about the way the jocks are and I think he's assuming Casey will become that. Casey's attention to girls is obviously hard for him to take too. That said, that bitter boy we just heard on the hill doesn't seem like James. The idea that he'd become like them is ridiculous. If any person is a strong and good soul it's that kid. it makes me sad that he seems to be terrified to reach out. I'm sad he's as much of a loner as we now see. I hope things change.
James and Casey are reconciled in word, but it isn't fully settled. They both know it, and their friendship is tentative. That puts James, the loner, in competition with the popular kids for Casey's time and attention.

 

Casey, on the other hand, has peer pressures to deal with, to be one of them, to hang out with them and only them.

 

These guys have backbones, but they've both been taken down a notch.

Link to comment
On 02/25/2015 11:27 PM, Rebelghost85 said:
I know that this will eventually work out for James, but I feel for him in the moment. He needs an outlet. Maybe track (cross country?) can be that outlet.

 

It sounds like the coach cares about his students. Hopefully he's the one that picks James up from his hitchhiking.

I don't see James ever being a joiner. His sense of self is too strong.

 

Right now, James is about as vulnerable as a guy can be. He's distracted. He's upset. And he's asking strangers for a ride.

 

Most coaches I've known cared more about their team winning than about their students. If you weren't on the team, you were out in the cold.

Link to comment
On 02/26/2015 02:35 AM, Daddydavek said:
James' mom said it best and gave him something to think about.
The best medicines don't usually taste very good.
Link to comment
On 02/27/2015 09:25 PM, aditus said:
I'm glad James didn't join the team - yet?
I've never seen James as a follower, but you never know about people.
Link to comment

How did I miss all these new chapters?? lol

 

James is such a polite kid. Very smart too. The coach knew he was right; he knew he couldn't argue with James' logic.

 

I wish Casey had seen how much his words hurt James. And I don't understand why Casey sounded angry - what was that about? James has helped him tremendously a few months ago, why would Casey be upset with him? I thought they were good now.

 

Ok, on to the next chapter. :)

Link to comment
On 03/05/2015 02:04 PM, Lisa said:
How did I miss all these new chapters?? lol

 

James is such a polite kid. Very smart too. The coach knew he was right; he knew he couldn't argue with James' logic.

 

I wish Casey had seen how much his words hurt James. And I don't understand why Casey sounded angry - what was that about? James has helped him tremendously a few months ago, why would Casey be upset with him? I thought they were good now.

 

Ok, on to the next chapter. :)

James IS polite, but he's got his own brand of assholiness, too. OK, that's an unworthy non-word. Sanctimoniousness.

 

Casey's got a blind spot a mile wide, but he's not a bad kid. Just, a kid. Sometimes, it's tough to remember that.

Link to comment

Wow. How wonderful to see their connection rekindled. Perhaps the spark can be allowed to burn a little longer this time? How wonderful to see Casey becoming the person he so richly deserves to be.

Link to comment
On 11/19/2015 08:56 AM, Parker Owens said:

Wow. How wonderful to see their connection rekindled. Perhaps the spark can be allowed to burn a little longer this time? How wonderful to see Casey becoming the person he so richly deserves to be.

No comment on future chapters. lol. Thanks for the comments.

Link to comment

Casey seems to be really enjoying the attention (if a little tentitive) . I hope they get closer again, they really were close for a time back there.
Lovely chapter Rusty :)

Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 12:18 AM, Mark92 said:

Casey seems to be really enjoying the attention (if a little tentitive) . I hope they get closer again, they really were close for a time back there.

Lovely chapter Rusty :)

Thanks for reading and commenting, Mark.

 

You know how it goes when a kid suddenly starts getting attention where there has been none. There's no such thing as enough.

 

We've got plants here we call rain lilies. They're every innocuous, with just a little foliage, until after a rain, when the blooms suddenly appear, bright and fresh. Casey's kinda like that.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..