Jump to content
    rustle
  • Author
  • 2,224 Words
  • 3,792 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Not Done Yet - 6. Slither

I wouldn't have ever written a word without KC's encouragement.
Without his help, it wouldn't have been worth reading.
Any mistakes, though, are all mine. I don't always listen.

Slither

As he hung up the phone, he rolled his neck to relax the kinks, then turned to the young man seated across the desk from him, and said, “C’mon, son. Let’s take you home.” The words were kindly, but spoken without much warmth. The man looked to be in his late 50s, and his office bore the clutter of years. A couple of diplomas, a number of certificates – one read, “Licensed Clinical Social Worker.” John Weaver worked for Children’s Protective Services. His eyes were dull, the eyes of a longtime public servant who’d seen too much. He rose, walked around his desk, and gently urged Casey to his feet. “The Fishers are good folks. They’ve fostered kids for many years, but never one your age. We’re going out on a limb for you, the Fishers and me, but it’s either their house or a detention facility. I hope you keep that in mind, and don’t cause any more trouble.”

Casey flinched at the word “trouble,” but held his tongue. That was one thing living with his dad had taught him – how to keep quiet. It hadn’t been his fault, but the case worker hadn’t seen things that way. Especially after Casey had just walked away from the Children’s Protective Services office.3

No one was hurt from the fire, and very little had been damaged. Mostly, it was just smoke. He had cursed himself for an idiot when the fire captain had told him the burner had been left on with a pan of oil on it.

The worst part was that James got dragged into it. James had been nothing but good to him, bringing him that bow and all. But that’s also where the camp stove had come from.

Walking out to the SUV with a small bag of clothes, the sun was nearing the horizon, and Casey’s stomach gave out a convincing growl. The older man looked over at him and chuckled. “I guess we’ve got enough time to get you fed before we go out there. Don’t want you to wear out your welcome before you even wipe your feet.”

“Thank you, sir. I know I’m being a burden on a number of folks, and I hope to turn that around soon.”

They climbed into the truck and strapped themselves in, and Mr. Weaver started the engine. The social worker sat still, gazing ahead, the truck idling, for a few seconds. He visibly relaxed, and sat up straighter, as if shedding years, before turning to his charge. “Listen, Casey, I’m due to retire before much longer. I’ve seen a lot of kids in your shoes come and go. I used to see their faces in my sleep, but now, it’s tough for me to even remember one of ‘em from one moment to the next.” He paused and sighed, taking off his glasses to rub his eyes. “Honestly, most of them I work with never get out of the system. Whether they start off with the mindset, or find it once they get caught up in the system, they don’t adjust to normal life, even if they return to it. They end up back in my office, or the prosecutor’s, time and again. This once, I’d like things to work out different.”

Mr. Weaver put his glasses back on, turned to Casey once again, and looked at him for a moment. “You’ve said a lot of things that sound good, but I’ve heard a lot of words from con men, too. You’ve acted respectfully toward everyone who’s worked on your case. It’s been noticed and remarked on. Just now, you said you hope to turn things around, and I hope you do.” Putting the truck into reverse, he stopped again, before pulling out. “You may not know this, but you made a friend here in town. If not for him, buttin’ in, talkin’ to a number of folks, your case woulda gone south real quick. He talked the Fishers into taking you in, and convinced me to go along with it and make the recommendation to the court after the damages were paid.”

Mr. Weaver pulled out onto the street. Casey was quiet the whole time, and when the older man glanced over at him, he saw the boy looking down in what looked like shame. Looking back at the road, he soon turned into the parking lot of a restaurant. Cedars wasn’t the fanciest place, but the food was as good as any in town. Climbing out, Mr. Weaver led the way inside, and they were seated in the back.

As the waitress left with their drink order, the two picked up the menus. “Order whatever looks good to you.” When the waitress came back with a couple of iced teas, they placed their orders right away.

As she left the second time, Casey quietly spoke, but he didn’t look at the older man across the table from him, “Who talked to you about me, Mr. Weaver? It sounds like I’ve got more debts to repay.”

Mr. Weaver sat back and gave him a long, measuring look. “Not really sure why, but James Batisse decided to trust you. Talked me into it, too. I’ve known that boy’s mama for years, but he always struck me as shy. Make no mistake, son; that boy’s neck is stuck out as far as it’ll go for you. I shouldn’t even be telling you this.”

“James? Even after…?”

“Uh huh. He said to me, ‘Once in a while, you have to decide whether or not to invest in somebody, and hope the little bit you can offer can help them change their world. He took your part and stood up to his granddad, told him if you went to juvenile detention, he was goin’, too, and that’s more than a lot of folks woulda had the spine to do. That old man has some pull, and paid for the damages, but he’s strong-willed. James knows the Fishers ‘cause he hunts the property up the road from theirs.”

Casey dropped his head, his hands in his lap. After a few seconds, he straightened up in his chair and looked the older man in the eye. “Thanks for telling me, Mr. Weaver.”

Right then, the waitress came with the food, interrupting the conversation. Once she’d served them and left, Mr. Weaver said, “If you can find the words, it would go a long way for you to talk with that boy. Tell you what – if you like, after you’re settled, I can ask him to come out to see you. Like I said, he hunts out that way, but he also does some odd jobs for some of those folks, including the Fishers. They know how to get in touch with him, too. But right now, the most important thing for you to worry about is that chicken fried steak in front of you. This place makes the best in town. Don’t let it get cold.”

The rest of the meal was silent, except for the clank of tableware and the conversations from the other tables. Casey found there was a lot of food on his plate, but he didn’t stop eating until every bite was gone. He sat back and breathed a deep sigh. “Oh my god, I can’t remember the last time I ate so much. It was great.”

“There’s still a biscuit with your name on it.”

And just like that, the last biscuit disappeared, too. Mr. Weaver chuckled and flagged down the waitress for the check.

After they were back on the road, Casey was restless, unable to sit still, but Mr. Weaver didn’t say anything. Finally, Casey cleared his throat, but no words came out. Mr. Weaver stopped at a light and turned to him. “What’s on your mind, son? You’ve been putting extra wear on that seat belt since you got back in the car.”

“I-I guess this is all so different from anything I know. All I know about foster parents is nothing. All I know about the Fishers is even less.”

“Well, the Fishers are good folks. They don’t just take the State money; they kick in some of their own for their kids. They’ve taken in a few foster kids, though the oldest was 11. I expect you all to learn some things. Jim’s a pharmacist, and Carol works for the County. They’ve got a comfortable home. You’ll have your own room, I expect, since they don’t have any other fosters right now. I thought they’d stopped doing this for good, and maybe they had. You might like their place. They’ve got a few acres, with a garden and a workshop. A few animals. They could really use some help around the place.” Mr. Weaver winked.

The whole time they’d been driving down the street, houses had become fewer and farther between. Either side of the road were livestock fencing and open fields. They were approaching an area of thick brush and trees. As they got closer, a gravel road forked off to the right. Mr. Weaver began to slow, pulled onto the shoulder, and turned. The tires ground as they bit into the gravel. On the south side of the road were mostly rolling pastures with blank Angus cattle, but some small thickets grew right up against the fence lines. An occasional lone oak or pine tree broke up the landscape in the middle of the fields. To the south, the land was wild and covered in the old green of late summer: yaupon and persimmon grew thick, right up to the old oaks and a few small stands of pine trees. Casey strained his eyes, trying to see more than twenty feet from the road’s edge.

As they passed a number of unpaved drives leading into the woods, Casey noted how pretty the area was in the dappled light. “This is a cool road. I like it when the trees meet overhead. It’s like driving through a tunnel.”

Mr. Weaver answered, “You might ask the Fishers to take you through the state park. You’d really enjoy the drive through there. The road goes for several miles like this. We’re almost there.”

Sure enough, the man soon slowed and turned into a gravel driveway. This one, unlike the others, had a stone wall running alongside for over a hundred feet, the stones mortared into place. The face of the wall bore the image of a snake along most of its length, over four feet high and eighty feet long, picked out in contrasting stones. Casey’s eyes got large and his mouth fell open as they stopped alongside it, the tires grinding as they grabbed hold. “Wow! That is so FINE!” Looking through the driver’s side window, he didn’t notice the man and woman approaching the vehicle from his side.

Still staring at the wall as he opened the door, Casey stepped out, turned, and found himself face to face with Jim and Carol Fisher. Casey jumped back and let out a startled squeak as the Fishers roared with laughter. Still laughing, the man introduced them both. “Evening! You must be the Casey fellow we heard so much about. I’m Jim Fisher and this is my wife, Carol.”

Casey, struggling to regain his composure, said between breaths, “Mr. Fisher, Mrs. Fisher, I’m very pleased to meet you. I’m sorry for my reaction, but I was so distracted by your wall….”

Carol smiled, offered her hand to Casey, and said, “Casey, there’s no need to apologize. I think Jim loves to do that to people when they pull up for the first time. You’re not the first person he’s scared out of their skin while they were looking at Slither.”

Casey shook her hand, and asked, “Slither?”

Jim stepped up, smiled broadly, and offered a handshake to Casey, as well. “Slither there is the best pet we ever had.” He pointed to the wall. “He doesn’t eat much, you don’t have to clean up after him, and he never has to go to the vet. Sorry to startle you so, but yours was the most gratifying reaction I’ve ever seen.”

Mr. Weaver stepped up and shook hands with Jim and Carol. “Jim, Carol, how are you folks doing? I heard you built a chimney swift tower. Any effect on the bug population that you can tell?”

Carol’s eyes shone with excitement. “There sure was, John, and I haven’t been bit by mosquito one since the week after we put it up. It’s getting too dark to see it right now, so if you’re interested, you’ll just have to come back by another time. Why don’t you come inside for something cool to drink, and Jim can show Casey to his room?”

“I’d love that, Carol. Casey, here’s your bag. Why don’t you follow Jim, unless you’re still scared.” He handed the duffel bag to the boy, winked at Jim, then turned and walked with Carol toward the house.

Casey looked up into Jim Fisher’s moss-colored eyes, a good four inches over his own, and saw them crinkle at the corners with mirth. “C’mon, kid, let’s get you settled in. Welcome home.” With that, Jim threw his arm around Casey’s shoulder, gave him a one-arm hug, and started them walking after the others.

2015-2016 Russell Kyle, all rights reserved. Not to be reproduced without written consent of the author.
  • Like 44
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I'm SO happy that James supported Casey and wants to be in his life. Casey needs all of the friends he can get right now. Hopefully his new foster parents will be able to give him the consistency and boundaries he needs to become successful (and fall in love with James).

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I like the Fishers already. I hope they are as nice as they seem. Kudos to James for sticking up for Casey.

‘Once in a while, you have to decide whether or not to invest in somebody, and hope the little bit you can offer can help them change their world.'

I've said from the beginning that James is an old soul. That line just proves it. Great chapter. I can't wait for more!

Link to comment

The Fishers already seem like great people. Hopefully they can give Casey the care and support he so badly needs. I am also pleased that James stood up for him. Casey needs as many people in his corner as he can get.

Link to comment
On 02/11/2015 11:20 AM, LitLover said:
The Fishers already seem like great people. Hopefully they can give Casey the care and support he so badly needs. I am also pleased that James stood up for him. Casey needs as many people in his corner as he can get.
James knows a lot of people. He wouldn't have set Casey up with anybody but good folks.
Link to comment
On 02/11/2015 11:08 AM, Valkyrie said:
I like the Fishers already. I hope they are as nice as they seem. Kudos to James for sticking up for Casey.

‘Once in a while, you have to decide whether or not to invest in somebody, and hope the little bit you can offer can help them change their world.'

I've said from the beginning that James is an old soul. That line just proves it. Great chapter. I can't wait for more!

Ever know somebody who gave with their whole heart, and not just their hands?
Link to comment
On 02/11/2015 10:28 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
I'm SO happy that James supported Casey and wants to be in his life. Casey needs all of the friends he can get right now. Hopefully his new foster parents will be able to give him the consistency and boundaries he needs to become successful (and fall in love with James).
Casey sets his own boundaries pretty well when his judgment's not clouded with crises. Sometimes, people just need a little room to breathe; maybe he'll find it for a while.
Link to comment

James is a very intelligent boy. I knew he wouldn't let Casey down. :)

 

The Fisher's seem terrific and they must be good if James recommended them. I hope this is true b/c there are so many foster "families" out there who do it just for the money and don't care about the kids at all.

 

Great chapter, Rusty! :)

Link to comment
On 02/11/2015 01:56 PM, Lisa said:
James is a very intelligent boy. I knew he wouldn't let Casey down. :)

 

The Fisher's seem terrific and they must be good if James recommended them. I hope this is true b/c there are so many foster "families" out there who do it just for the money and don't care about the kids at all.

 

Great chapter, Rusty! :)

If it's possible for an author to fall in love with his characters, I have. Casey is young and beset, but James is complicated. I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. Thanks for sticking with me, Lisa.
Link to comment
On 02/11/2015 03:57 PM, jamessavik said:
Casey was due a break. I'm hoping he gets along with his foster family.
He won't know until he sees it for himself. Is it likely to be any worse than his family?
Link to comment

It's so nice to have a story where the 'official' people like policemen, firefighters, social workers and foster families are portrayed in a good light. I mean, we all know there are good and bad amongst them, but at times I feel the bad guys appear more in stories - for obvious, dramatic reasons. But it makes this tale stand out in a good way. I'm hooked.

Link to comment
On 02/11/2015 07:15 PM, Timothy M. said:
It's so nice to have a story where the 'official' people like policemen, firefighters, social workers and foster families are portrayed in a good light. I mean, we all know there are good and bad amongst them, but at times I feel the bad guys appear more in stories - for obvious, dramatic reasons. But it makes this tale stand out in a good way. I'm hooked.
I'm not sure Casey could've handled it if I'd thrown an evil authority figure at him, too. Thanks for following, and for your comments.
Link to comment

I REALLY love this story. It's sweet and well-written. I love James and his mom and feel so badly for Casey. It's amazing he's grown into a good kid despite what he was up against. The kid should be way more screwed up. That was so amazing to see what James did for him. I hope the boys can hang out still. I kinda hope Casey can stay with the couple for the near future. He deserves somewhere safe and soft to fall on.

The conversation with his sister (wow are they pieces of work) sounds like his mom who should get a narcissistic/selfish mom of the year award, made a suicide attempt? That was what it seemed to me. That poor kid. Hopefully, things will turn around for him. Mr. weaver is a good man who does care and said some good things to him that I hope he remembers. I am wondering if Jamie's grandfather is a judge or someone making a decision about Casey or was he just paying the fine for him?

Well I can't wait for more of this. Great job. :great:

Link to comment

I keep hoping for things to turn around for Casey and maybe now it will. James is a good friend ((and he's also super adorable)) I love these characters. Another great chapter!!

Link to comment
On 02/12/2015 05:01 AM, Cannd said:
I REALLY love this story. It's sweet and well-written. I love James and his mom and feel so badly for Casey. It's amazing he's grown into a good kid despite what he was up against. The kid should be way more screwed up. That was so amazing to see what James did for him. I hope the boys can hang out still. I kinda hope Casey can stay with the couple for the near future. He deserves somewhere safe and soft to fall on.

The conversation with his sister (wow are they pieces of work) sounds like his mom who should get a narcissistic/selfish mom of the year award, made a suicide attempt? That was what it seemed to me. That poor kid. Hopefully, things will turn around for him. Mr. weaver is a good man who does care and said some good things to him that I hope he remembers. I am wondering if Jamie's grandfather is a judge or someone making a decision about Casey or was he just paying the fine for him?

Well I can't wait for more of this. Great job. :great:

Thanks for the feedback. It's great that the readers identify with the characters so strongly.
Link to comment
On 02/12/2015 08:13 AM, K.C. said:
I keep hoping for things to turn around for Casey and maybe now it will. James is a good friend ((and he's also super adorable)) I love these characters. Another great chapter!!
Thanks, dude. Working with you over the years has taught me a lot about writing and editing, both.
Link to comment

So Casey caught a break thanks to James. Jim and Carol seem like nice people. For his sake I hope things work out.

Link to comment
On 02/16/2015 12:07 PM, comicfan said:
So Casey caught a break thanks to James. Jim and Carol seem like nice people. For his sake I hope things work out.
It seems he caught a break, but does he know it yet? Will he recognize and honor others' efforts on his behalf, or consider it all as his due?
Link to comment
On 02/27/2015 07:39 PM, aditus said:
'Welcome home' sounds good.
To a kid whose parents both abandoned him, I can't imagine any better words to hear, or any that could bring cautious hope so quickly to a vulnerable heart.
Link to comment

Sorry to take so long to get back to this, but I remember it all so well :) I'll have to look up yaupon I never heard of it.
It is a wonderful story Rusty, and you make everything so real and vivid I'm right in the story.
Next chapter tomorrow, bed time now. :) Great job Rusty :wub::hug:

Link to comment

So glad to see the reaction from Jim and Carol: if Casey can't be living with James and Jessie, the Fishers seem like a very good alternative. Casey definitely deserves a break: after all he's been through to still be such a goodhearted, polite young man with a real depth of character. I hope this break goes on for a while.

Link to comment
On 08/31/2015 01:06 PM, hillj69 said:

So glad to see the reaction from Jim and Carol: if Casey can't be living with James and Jessie, the Fishers seem like a very good alternative. Casey definitely deserves a break: after all he's been through to still be such a goodhearted, polite young man with a real depth of character. I hope this break goes on for a while.

Again, sorry to be so late replying. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Link to comment
On 07/31/2015 08:13 AM, Mark92 said:

Sorry to take so long to get back to this, but I remember it all so well :) I'll have to look up yaupon I never heard of it.

It is a wonderful story Rusty, and you make everything so real and vivid I'm right in the story.

Next chapter tomorrow, bed time now. :) Great job Rusty :wub::hug:

I got you beat on late responses, buddy. lol

 

Yaupon holly (ilex vomitoria) is a native holly here. The berries are an emetic.

Link to comment

So we can breathe now. What a relief that Jim and Carol appear to be interesting, kind and caring people. And that you can convey that in such a short space is a testament to how well you have written this. Great chapter. Thank you!

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..