Jump to content
    rustle
  • Author
  • 3,601 Words
  • 3,448 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Not Done Yet - 5. Up In Flames

Thanks, Kase.

Up In Flames

When evening came around, and his dad still hadn’t shown up, Casey started worrying for real. He gathered up all his change and headed for the laundry, where there was an actual pay phone outside.

“9-1-1. What is your emergency?”

“Ma’am, this isn’t an emergency, but I don’t know who to call. My dad’s been missing for a couple of days.”

“Let me connect you.”

“Precinct. Sargent Rhodes speaking. How may I help you?”

“Hello, Sargent? My dad hasn’t shown up for over two days, and I’m starting to worry. I’ve got no idea where he is.”

“OK, what’s your father’s name?”

“Donovan. Travis Donovan. My name’s Casey Donovan.”

“How old are you, Casey?”

“I’m fifteen.”

“OK, Casey. Where and when did you last see or hear from him?”

“Two nights ago, at the house. He was there.”

“Have you contacted his work?”

“No, sir. He hasn’t started his new job yet. We just moved to town, and I don’t think he knows anybody here.”

“How do you think he left?”

“His truck’s gone. It’s a ’62 Chevy, license plate NO 2106.”

“Alright, Casey. Let me check into this and get back with you. Can I reach you at this number?”

“Um, no sir. This is a pay phone. Our phone hasn’t been connected yet.”

“Alright, what’s your address?”

“1723 Pecan Street. How soon do you think you’ll know something?”

“I’m not certain. We’ll check for any reports on him. If there’s no record, it may take a while. Do you have a place to stay, and somebody to look after you?”

Casey crossed his fingers. “Yes sir, my mom and sister are coming to town. I’ll be at the house ‘til then.”

“OK, son, sit tight, and we’ll get word to you as soon as we know anything.”

Casey hung up and looked up at the sky. Stars were just starting to come out, barely visible with the light glare around him. He slowly walked back to the house, stripped down, and got into bed. After staring at the ceiling for a while, he got up and went to his closet. He pulled down James’ bow and went back to bed, where he fell asleep with it in his hands.

Early the next morning, there was a knocking on the front door, so he threw on some clothes and rushed to answer it. On the front step was a police officer. His squad car was in the driveway.

“Are you Casey Donovan?”

Casey frowned. This was not going to be good. “Yes sir.”

“Did you report Travis Donovan missing?”

Casey gulped and nodded again.

“Son, Travis Donovan has been arrested in connection with a fatal accident. He’s being held without bond at the Hays County jail. His blood alcohol level was four times the legal limit. When you reported him as missing, you told the Sargent that your mother and sister were coming to town, and could take care of you. Is that correct?” Casey nodded silently. “Are they here?”

Casey shook his head. “They should be getting to town this afternoon.”

“Do you need anything before they get here?”

“No sir. I’ve got groceries and just did laundry. Thanks for letting me know. What’s going to happen to my dad?”

“He’s charged with vehicular homicide and driving while intoxicated. From the looks of things, he’s probably going to be in jail for a long time. Are you sure you don’t need anything?”

“No, but thanks.” Casey closed the door, turned, and sank to the floor, but he didn’t cry. Not this time. It was finally over. His dad wasn’t coming back any time soon.

After a while, he got up and went to the kitchen table. Turning to a clean page in his notebook, he started writing. He wrote down what he had in the house to eat, the money he had on hand, and he wrote down what he would need for a few days. It was obvious he couldn’t last long on his own, and his dad never left money around the house. He wrote down Ellen’s name and number and circled it time after time.

Most of the food in the house would have to be cooked, but the stove was gas, and it hadn’t been turned on yet.

He stared at the page, then wrote “James.”

***
Thursday dawned clear and warm. Casey got up and got ready. He put his notebook in a small backpack and headed out to go see James.

When he got there, he was a little winded. James was on the front step, waiting for him.

“Slept ‘til the crack of noon, I see.” James was grinning. “Can you keep riding, or do you need to rest up first?”

“Let’s go. I’m just warmed up.”

“I can smell, uh, tell.”

“Some of us have already had a workout. You’re no daisy after you’ve been outside sweating for a while, either.”

“I object. My sweat smells like wildflowers.”

“More like skunk cabbage.”

“Oh, we are taking the steep way to get there. Keep up.” James mounted up and took off, laughing.

They got to the park, both breathing hard. Then the fun really began. The state park road was the one used for bicycle training rides, because it had so many twists and hills. Twice a year, thousands of cyclists would pass through the park. Many of them wouldn’t make it through without getting off the bike and walking at least partway.

At one point, James stopped, looked both ways, and took off across a small clearing. Casey followed, and they came to a trail under the shadow of tall pines. Following that down a shallow decline, James soon stopped. The sound of running water floated on the air, and they walked their bikes to a small waterfall on a creek, that emptied into a basin maybe twenty feet across. It was tough to say how deep, since the falling water distorted the view.

James laid down his bike and stripped off his shirt. Then he kicked off his shoes and took off his shorts. Underneath, he was wearing snug yellow and black striped trunk briefs that practically glowed against his tanned skin. He stepped down to the pool and slid in. Casey laughed and followed suit. The water was cool and fresh, and both boys smiled at each other, sitting up to their necks in the water.

Casey was the first to speak. “This is nice. After that ride, I was getting hot, and almost asked to stop.”

James dipped his head under the water quickly, then shook the water out of his hair and pulled it back out of both eyes. “I like to do this after we’ve had rain. The creek flows cleaner, and the pool’s great to cool down in. Normally, I skinny dip.”

“Why didn’t you do it this time?”

“I don’t know you that well.” James looked almost shy saying that. His hair had fallen over his left eye again, and he’d ducked his head a little.

“Nothing you’ve got to show would be any more surprising than that underwear you’ve got on. I thought Indians liked to blend in.”

“I am blending in. With my brothers, the bumblebees.”

Casey looked hard at him. For a few seconds, James kept a straight face, then he cracked a smile, and both boys started laughing, hard. Casey splashed him with as much water as he could stir up, and that started the splash war. After a couple of minutes, both were laughing so hard, they couldn’t even see through all the water flying back and forth.

Casey was the first to give up. He stepped up the bank to a large rock and laid back. He was smiling. James came out of the water and sat next to him.

“Well, my underwear’s not gonna dry out until I wring some of the water out of it,” said Casey. He stood up and pulled down his grey boxer briefs. Then he wrung them out good, shook them, and stepped back into them. “Ooh, it’s still squishy.” He wiggled around a little, trying to settle them into place.

James laughed and started to do the same, his back turned to Casey. He didn’t expect the slap on his ass, and nearly fell over. When he got his underwear off, he turned around to face the other boy, who had an evil grin, and threw his underwear in Casey’s face. Wet, they stuck there until he peeled them off and threw them back to James. “I guess I deserved that. Nice weiner,” he snickered, raising an eyebrow.

James laughed again, wrung out his trunks, and put them on. Then he sat back down next to Casey and breathed a huge sigh. “I love days like this. I’m glad you could come.”

“I’m glad I could, too…. I-I don’t know if I’ll be able to again.”

James looked up, and saw the worry on Casey’s face. “Why not? What’s the matter? Did your dad say something?”

Casey looked off and sighed. Then he dropped his gaze and stared at his feet, while he stammered, “No, he h-hasn’t said anything to me for a few d-days. Not since he hit me.” James flinched. “He left the night before we met. I don’t guess he’ll be saying much to me at all a-anymore. He’s in jail.”

“WHAT?!”

“I c-called the cops to report him missing. A squad car came by yesterday, and the officer told me he’d killed somebody behind the wheel, driving d-drunk.”

“What about you? What are you gonna do?”

“The other d-day, when I called my s-sister, I asked about coming to stay to stay with her and Mom. Sh-she told me Mom didn’t want me anymore.” He spoke so softly, James had to lean forward to hear.

“Holy FUCK, Casey! How COULD she?!” James was on his feet, his eyes smoldering, his lips pulled back in a snarl. His whole body was quivering.

“D-dad b-beat her. H-he nearly k-killed her. M-mom always said I looked j-just like him. Ellen told me sh-she can’t look at me without th-thinking of him. Sh-she said M-mom isn’t strong enough. That s-seeing m-me could k-kill her.”

“Crap. Where does that leave you?”

“I-I think I-I c-can talk her into i-it., but it’s gonna take t-time. I-If I d-don’t, Children’s P-protective S-services will p-probably put me in a foster home.”

James began to pace. “How long do you need?”

“M-maybe a couple of w-weeks. I’ve got enough food to last if I-I’m careful, but I’ve got no way to cook it. Dad n-never got the gas turned on.”

James stopped and turned to face his friend. “I’ve got camping gear you can borrow. There’s a camp stove with enough fuel for plenty of meals. And you can come over for a few days, too. I’ll clear it with Mom.”

Casey was shaking his head, but James wasn’t looking, and continued, “You’re going to have to talk to your sister, and let her know how things stand. This is not right. You don’t turn your back on family because of the way they look. You’re coming home with me. Plan to stay the night, at least.”

“Dude, I c-can’t do that. I c-can’t take that chance. If your Mom knows, she might bring in CPS, and I’m b-back where I don’t want to be.”

“Well, you’re at least taking the camping stove. It’ll get you by. I wish you’d let me tell Mom.”

“No, please, I’m b-beggin’ you. At least, not for a few days. Let me try this my way.”

“OK. Just for three days, though. When we get to my house, you can use the phone to call your sister. Got her number with you?” Casey nodded. “Cool. Get dressed and grab your bike. Let’s go to my place and get some lunch.”

The ride back was a lot quicker, once they got to the park entrance. They went back the same way, and since James had taken them by the steeper route, they coasted downhill most of the way. Casey kept falling behind, since he was riding the brakes, but James’s hair was flying fast and free in the wind.

Back at the house, they made a quick lunch. Casey picked up the camp stove and fuel, along with a lighter, and called his sister to fill her in. Then, he talked to James.

“Dude, she’s gonna talk to my mom. Maybe she can help, but Mom isn’t the same since Dad…. Listen, I gotta go. If I stick around, your mom might get suspicious.”

“When will I see you again?”

“Today’s Thursday, right? Saturday morning, I’ll come over, about the same time. Thanks for the stove.”

They bumped fists, and Casey pedaled off.

That evening, Casey set up the stove and boiled some pasta. When it was done, he stirred in some sauce from a jar in the pantry. He’d seen his mom and sister do it, and it didn’t seem hard. When he sat down to eat at the table, he had a smug smile.

He slept through the night, and woke up stiff and sore from the bike ride, in the same position he’d gone to sleep. He could barely move, but rolled over to put his foot on the floor beside the bed, and after a couple of tries, was finally able to stand up to go to the bathroom. He took a shower and walked back to his room with the towel over his shoulder. He pulled on a pair of black boxer briefs and got dressed. “Wish I had some fancy underwear like James.” Lying on his back on the floor, he hooked his legs under the bed and did sit-ups until he couldn’t do any more. Then, he rolled over for pushups, and stopped counting at forty-eight.

Later, he pulled out James’ bow and practiced as he’d been taught, stringing, drawing, and releasing the bow without an arrow, to build up his strength. Any time he started to shake from the strain, he’d set it aside. He did more sit-ups and pushups every time he put down the bow, too.

Near bedtime, he hadn’t eaten. There was pasta left over for dinner. He seared some chicken in oil to throw into it, and put the pan back on the burner. He had cookies for dessert. “Thanks, Jessie.” She must have seen the stove when she tucked the cookies away in his pack the day before, but hadn’t said anything. “Maybe James is right, and I should let you know what’s going on.”

He took a quick shower and lay down, naked, on top of the covers. Relaxed and fed, he soon fell asleep.

He woke up in pitch darkness, coughing his lungs out, and rolled off the bed to the floor. He pulled on the clothes he’d left on the chair last night, and crawled to the front door, staying low to avoid the worst of the smoke. He lurched through the door when he got it open, and pitched onto the lawn, still coughing, and puked.

Smoke was pouring out the door. An elderly next-door neighbor turned on a porch light and peered out the window at him and his house, and instantly disappeared. He struggled to get to the house, and knocked on the door, bent over and heaving. A few seconds later, the door opened, and the lady appeared with a phone pressed to her ear, “Yes, that’s right, Pecan Street. Thank you. The boy who just moved in is at my front door, and doesn’t look too well. I need to let you go. Thank you. Please hurry.”

“Oh my, son, come in! I just called the fire department, and they’re on the way. Was anybody else in the house with you?”

“No.” cough “No, my dad wasn’t home.” cough

“Here, sit on the couch. I’ll get you some water. Don’t worry, they’ll be here any minute.”

Right at that instant, the night was torn by the sound of a siren approaching fast. Lights started flashing outside the window as the fire truck pulled up. The firefighters scrambled, rolling out hoses and hooking them up to the hydrant across the street.

Two firefighters carrying extinguishers and wearing respirators rushed through the front door. Within a few seconds, the smoke stopped billowing out. Shortly, the two men walked out calmly, went to the truck, and sat down. Firefighters began to replace gear on the truck, and the captain walked up to the house where Casey and the old woman were watching and waiting. The woman opened the door, and she and Casey both stepped out to meet the fire captain.

“Ma’am, are you the one who called in the report of the fire?”

The woman, still dressed in her robe, pulled it a little tighter around her. “Yes, I sure am. I’m Marian Goecke. This is Casey Donovan, and he’s the neighbor boy who showed up on my doorstep just before I called.”

“You reported that Casey here was in physical distress. Son, are you OK now?”

“Yeah, I guess so. After I was out of the smoke for a few minutes, the coughing stopped.”

“What can you tell me about the fire?”

“Not much. I woke up to a house full of smoke.”

“Who lives in the house with you, Casey?”

“My dad did, but he’s in jail now.” Mrs. Goecke let out a small gasp. “My mother and sister are supposed to be coming to town to get me.”

“What time are they supposed to get here?”

“I-I’m not sure.”

“OK. I need you to wait right here for a couple of minutes while we get some things taken care of next door.”

While the captain walked away, Casey turned to Mrs. Goecke and asked, “Am I going to be able to go back home now?”

“Best ask the fire captain about that.” Right then, he came walking back to them.

“Casey, can you come with me for a moment?” The man gently led Casey back to the fire truck, where the equipment was just about all put away. “Casey, since you’re under 18, I can’t leave you alone unsupervised in the house. The fire was a grease fire from a pan left on a camp stove. Mostly, it was just smoke from the burning grease. I’ve called Children’s Protective Services, and they’ve got a case worker on his way. He should be here in a couple of minutes, since he lives nearby. His name is John Weaver.”

Casey hung his head, but told the fire captain thanks. The two of them stood there waiting for the case worker. A couple of firefighters came to the captain with questions or to let him know the status of the scene. A paramedic walked up and checked the boy out. He nodded at Casey and left, satisfied there were no issues from breathing in the smoke.

Shortly, a white SUV pulled up to the curb, an older man stepped out, and walked up to the captain. “Hi Riggs. Is this the boy?”

“Sure is, John. Casey, I’m leaving you with Mr. Weaver. He’ll see to it you get a place to sleep tonight. Good luck to you, and I hope your mom gets here soon. John will see to it that she’s notified ASAP. See you later, John.”

“C’mon, kid. You’ve had enough excitement for one night. Let’s get you someplace to sleep for the rest of it.” Mr. Weaver took Casey back to the SUV and opened the passenger door for his young charge. Casey got in, moving mechanically, and fastened his seat belt, his eyes dead.

*

On the phone the next morning, Casey got hold of Ellen, while the case worker went to the break room to let him talk in private. He’d spent the night in a house set aside for runaways and kids headed for foster homes or other destinations. It was a cheerless place, but he had a cot and a pillow. A different case worker from Mr. Weaver had brought him to this office after swinging by his house for some belongings first thing in the morning, after a tasteless breakfast. Casey gave her James’ bow and other gear, and she promised to get it back to him.

“She did what?!... Oh fuck, sis! I’m so sorry, I had no way of knowing she’d…. No, you couldn’t, either.... What did the doc say?... Uh huh…. Three months?.... Fuck…. No, I understand…. I know…. Yeh, I love you, too…. Yeh….. Sure…. OK…. No, it’s OK. I’ll figure something out. I’ve got some ideas…. Yeh, Children’s Protective Services…. I’ve got a contact name; they can put me in touch with someone…. Sure…. I’ll keep in touch, and let you know.”

He put down the phone slowly and turned toward the door that led outside the CPS office. He stood up and calmly walked over and out the door. He just kept walking and didn’t look back, down the road, then another road, then another, aimlessly.

When he couldn’t walk any further, he sat down and rested in someone’s front yard. After a while, he stood up and started walking again, not focusing on anything. He meandered his way down to the river. Crossing the same bridge he had crossed on his bike just a few days before, when he first got to town, a police car pulled up alongside, and the officer rolled down his window. “Son, is your name Casey Donovan?”

2015-2016 Russell Kyle, all rights reserved. Not to be reproduced without written consent of the author.
  • Like 38
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Man. I'm glad that Casey is getting some help. Hopefully James or someone else can offer to take him in.

 

I'm guessing that his mom attempted suicide and she's in treatment for a few months. Hopefully things turn out well. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I'm glad that Casey is free from his dad. I hope that he will be able to live with James. Too bad he didn't take Jesse into his confidence. I had the same thought that rebelghost did about his mom. I'm wondering if she attempted suicide. Clearly something bad happened. Great chapter, Rustle.

Link to comment
On 02/04/2015 11:30 AM, Valkyrie said:
I'm glad that Casey is free from his dad. I hope that he will be able to live with James. Too bad he didn't take Jesse into his confidence. I had the same thought that rebelghost did about his mom. I'm wondering if she attempted suicide. Clearly something bad happened. Great chapter, Rustle.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad folks are thinking and wondering after they read the chapter.
Link to comment
On 02/04/2015 10:46 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Man. I'm glad that Casey is getting some help. Hopefully James or someone else can offer to take him in.

 

I'm guessing that his mom attempted suicide and she's in treatment for a few months. Hopefully things turn out well. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad I'm holding your interest.
Link to comment

Wow. That was quite a chapter. It's good that Casey is away from his dad, but it must be hard to be essentially alone in the world now. I agree that it sounds like his mom attempted suicide. I get that she was hurt by Caseys dad, but this is her son...she needs to get some help. I hope that James' mom offers to take him in. Hopefully he won't be in too much trouble for walking away from the group home.

Link to comment
On 02/04/2015 12:09 PM, LitLover said:
Wow. That was quite a chapter. It's good that Casey is away from his dad, but it must be hard to be essentially alone in the world now. I agree that it sounds like his mom attempted suicide. I get that she was hurt by Caseys dad, but this is her son...she needs to get some help. I hope that James' mom offers to take him in. Hopefully he won't be in too much trouble for walking away from the group home.
Sometimes, the best thing is not what it seems. Thanks for reading.
Link to comment
On 02/04/2015 12:26 PM, Daddydavek said:
Poor Casey, what a downer!
What does not kill...

 

Thanks for sticking with this, Dave.

Link to comment

CPS really isn't a solution for any child. Kids need so much more than CPS can provide, and yes sometimes a kid is better off on their own then living through some of the atrocities that happen to them while in the care of CPS. Casey shows so much promise and spirit and I hate to see all of that extinguished.

Great chapter. So much happening.

Link to comment
On 02/04/2015 11:18 PM, sammiam said:
CPS really isn't a solution for any child. Kids need so much more than CPS can provide, and yes sometimes a kid is better off on their own then living through some of the atrocities that happen to them while in the care of CPS. Casey shows so much promise and spirit and I hate to see all of that extinguished.

Great chapter. So much happening.

CPS is like almost every social program. Overworked, underpaid workers, lots of bureaucracy. It's just a conduit, but where does the conduit lead? Thanks for following the story.
Link to comment

Jeez! You're trying to explain 'When it rains, it pours' ? So much for staying under the radar of CPS...

Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 11:02 PM, aditus said:
Jeez! You're trying to explain 'When it rains, it pours' ? So much for staying under the radar of CPS...
"To crooked eyes, truth may wear a wry face." Things aren't always what they seem, or what we believe them to be.
Link to comment

So far down the only way for Casey is up. What a lot for a kid to deal with. He was hoping for a few days to figure things out didn't go according to his plan. It makes me so angry when parents use the lame excuse for neglecting their children that they remind them of the other parent. I've heard that so many times from my mother over the years when she's been yelling at me mid-argument "You act/look just like your father!!" :( Hope things turn around for Casey!

Link to comment

I'm glad Casey's drunk of a father is locked up. Hopefully for a very, very, very long time. I'm glad he can't hurt Casey or anyone else.

 

I also think Casey's "mom" doesn't even want to TRY to help her son. Ok, yes, the kid looks like her asshole of an ex, but HE IS YOUR SON - YOUR FLESH AND BLOOD, and hell, if her husband beat her how the HELL could she have let her child go with him? I think that's just as bad as the d-bag "father" beating up on Casey. And it seems with her it's one excuse after another - all being how weak she is mentally. Enough is enough. Take the self-pity and get some damned help - your child needs you. And who even knows if what Ellen told Casey is the truth. The "mother" could have just told her to say that when/if Casey called back.

 

I wish Casey told the CPS guy about Jesse James, woops! I meant Jessie AND James! :D I'm sure Jessie would take him in in a heartbeat. Oohh, maybe Sam and his grandfather are a foster family? Just a thought...

 

And Casey didn't honestly think that he could just walk out of there and no one would go looking for him? lol

 

Great chapter, Rusty! :) Oh! I just realized Casey's name - KC - was that on purpose? lol :P

Link to comment
On 02/06/2015 07:53 AM, K.C. said:
So far down the only way for Casey is up. What a lot for a kid to deal with. He was hoping for a few days to figure things out didn't go according to his plan. It makes me so angry when parents use the lame excuse for neglecting their children that they remind them of the other parent. I've heard that so many times from my mother over the years when she's been yelling at me mid-argument "You act/look just like your father!!" :( Hope things turn around for Casey!
The best-laid battle plans go to hell when the first arrow is loosed. It's tempting to forget how young and inexperienced Casey is, or to blame the mother, or to rely on Ellen to be telling the truth about anything. But we've never seen the world through the characters' eyes.

 

Thanks for all the help, and for your thoughts on the finished chapter.

Link to comment
On 02/06/2015 08:23 AM, Lisa said:
I'm glad Casey's drunk of a father is locked up. Hopefully for a very, very, very long time. I'm glad he can't hurt Casey or anyone else.

 

I also think Casey's "mom" doesn't even want to TRY to help her son. Ok, yes, the kid looks like her asshole of an ex, but HE IS YOUR SON - YOUR FLESH AND BLOOD, and hell, if her husband beat her how the HELL could she have let her child go with him? I think that's just as bad as the d-bag "father" beating up on Casey. And it seems with her it's one excuse after another - all being how weak she is mentally. Enough is enough. Take the self-pity and get some damned help - your child needs you. And who even knows if what Ellen told Casey is the truth. The "mother" could have just told her to say that when/if Casey called back.

 

I wish Casey told the CPS guy about Jesse James, woops! I meant Jessie AND James! :D I'm sure Jessie would take him in in a heartbeat. Oohh, maybe Sam and his grandfather are a foster family? Just a thought...

 

And Casey didn't honestly think that he could just walk out of there and no one would go looking for him? lol

 

Great chapter, Rusty! :) Oh! I just realized Casey's name - KC - was that on purpose? lol :P

All the reader comments on the storyline are telling me I'm creating something believable, and that a reader can get wrapped up in.

 

Casey's a great guy. So's James. But we've all got strengths and faults, and sooner or later, they show.

 

Thanks for following the story. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

Link to comment

Poor Casey. A fire ends what little chance he had. I wonder what happened to his mother. You can tell she is in a fragile state as well. One parent in jail, the other about to have or just had a breakdown, his sister evidently not old enough to take Casey in, and now he is with CPS. All I can say is I hope Jessie and James can still come to his rescue. You have a great story going Russ. Can't wait for the rest.

Link to comment
On 02/07/2015 01:45 PM, comicfan said:
Poor Casey. A fire ends what little chance he had. I wonder what happened to his mother. You can tell she is in a fragile state as well. One parent in jail, the other about to have or just had a breakdown, his sister evidently not old enough to take Casey in, and now he is with CPS. All I can say is I hope Jessie and James can still come to his rescue. You have a great story going Russ. Can't wait for the rest.
With five reviews from you at once, I'll answer at one time. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I started this story with James, and had his character fleshed out before I typed my first word, though I'm still learning more about him. Casey's tougher for me to get a handle on, but I'm starting to understand him better. Glad you're enjoying this, and I hope I keep you guessing.
Link to comment

Talk about cliff-hanger, I have so many questions, but I hope to find some answers in the next chapter, which I will read tomorrow (it's midnight here). I always put myself into the story somehow, and it seems I have so much in common with Casey in this chapter. although I can't ride a bike or swim, but I can drive a car and a tractor lol. Skinny dipping in a four foot pond is easy when you're 6'5 too. Still unsure where all that blood came from, must read tomorrow. This is becoming a really good, intriguing story Rusty, well done :hug:

Link to comment
On 02/13/2015 09:54 AM, Mark92 said:
Talk about cliff-hanger, I have so many questions, but I hope to find some answers in the next chapter, which I will read tomorrow (it's midnight here). I always put myself into the story somehow, and it seems I have so much in common with Casey in this chapter. although I can't ride a bike or swim, but I can drive a car and a tractor lol. Skinny dipping in a four foot pond is easy when you're 6'5 too. Still unsure where all that blood came from, must read tomorrow. This is becoming a really good, intriguing story Rusty, well done :hug:
Thanks, Mark. If you're finding yourself or someone you know in the story, that's a good sign that the characters are believable.

 

All your questions will NOT be answered, I promise. Kinda like life.

 

Now that I have you attention...

 

;)

Link to comment
On 09/06/2015 05:05 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Cps, the street, friends or family. It's a crap shoot. Good work as always, dude.

Thanks. Sorry, I just noticed the review. Yep, life IS a crap shoot.

Link to comment

Up in flames is a perfect name for this chapter. So much of the good things starting in Casey's life just disintegrated. Now he goes to CPS; uncertain as to how that will work out. Let's hope it goes well.

Link to comment
On 11/19/2015 03:17 AM, Parker Owens said:

Up in flames is a perfect name for this chapter. So much of the good things starting in Casey's life just disintegrated. Now he goes to CPS; uncertain as to how that will work out. Let's hope it goes well.

Glad you liked the chapter name, but I'm not gonna comment on the future for Casey. No spoilers here. Sorry. hehe

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..