Jump to content
    rustle
  • Author
  • 2,502 Words
  • 1,968 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Not Done Yet - 13. Friends

Friends


Mary asked Sam, “What’s up with James lately? He acts like he just lost his puppy or something.”


They were walking to class and Sam was carrying her books. “Babe, I wish I knew for sure, but I think it’s got something to do with Casey.” He shifted the books to his other arm. “When I mentioned going to see him yesterday, James didn’t say a word. I know they’re friends – they say hi in the hallway, but it’s as if James doesn’t want to let Casey get any closer.”


“Well, is there anything we can do about it?”


“Maybe we could invite them over to my house; we could saddle up some horses and go riding, and then watch a movie. The weather’s been nice. How about this Saturday?”


“That would be great, Sam. I’ll ask James if you ask Casey.”


“Let’s get together at about two, ride for a couple of hours, and then watch a movie. You can all stay for supper, too.”


Mary shot a worried look at Sam, and found him grinning at her. It was no secret that Sam’s daddy, Charles, couldn’t cook, but he was always inviting people over for dinner, anyway.


“Don’t worry, baby, Daddy’s gonna be in Rosanky for the weekend. I’ll get us some barbecue, so nobody has to cook. What movie do you want to watch?”


“Make it something scary, so I have a reason to jump into your arms for protection.” She hooked her arm in his and leaned her head against his shoulder, paying no attention when a couple of people scowled at them there, next to Mary’s locker.


*
Charles Murphy, Sam’s dad, kept horses on their property near downtown, and made a little money on the side by taking folks for trail rides on his farm. Sam taught riding lessons, too. So, when the others started to show up, Sam already had four mounts groomed and three tacked up, ready to ride. He’d been in the saddle more often than he’d been inside a car, and loved working with the animals and teaching novices.


When Casey arrived in Carol’s car, Sam called out, “Casey! Glad you could come! Mary called – she’s running late. Hi, Ms. Fisher.”
“Hey Sam.” As Casey climbed out, she said, “Y’all have a good time, and I’ll see you at about ten tomorrow.”


Casey waved to Carol as she drove off. The plan was for Casey and James to both stay the night. “Thanks for inviting me. I always wanted to ride a horse. What’s going on with Mary?”


“Her daddy was givin’ her some grief about coming over.”


“Sam, I told you before, you’re gonna have to charm him if you’re really serious about dating his daughter. You probably don’t look like what he always pictured in a son-in-law. Let him get used to the idea.”


“Oh, it’s not that. He and I had a couple of talks, and he understands how we feel about each other. ‘Sides, he and Daddy know each other from church, and they’re pretty tight. No, it was something about helping clean the house for company tomorrow.”


“Oh, OK. How about James? Is he still coming?” Casey looked hopeful.


“Sure is. That’s his horse there, without the saddle. You know he likes playing cowboys and Indians, and he always plays the Indian.”


Casey busted out laughing. “Doesn’t he know he’s playing to a stereotype?”


Sam’s face lit up in a big smile. “C’mon, big brother. Let’s get you into the saddle for a quick lesson before he gets here, so you can impress him.”


“I don’t think I could ever do anything that would impress James, but let’s try.”


For the next fifteen minutes, Sam demonstrated mounting and basic neck reigning techniques, and had Casey try each one and work on it until he felt comfortable with the animal. Casey turned out to be a good student, and he and the horse seemed to take a liking to each other. By the time Mary and James showed up, Casey had a thin sheen of perspiration on his forehead under the ball cap he always wore, and his t-shirt was lightly clinging to his chest and back.


Mary’s dad dropped both of them off and Sam hollered out, “I didn’t expect you two to come together. Should I be worried about you poaching my girl, James?” Sam faked a scowl.


“POACHING?! Do I look like a deer to you, buddy?” Mary had her hands on her hips, glaring up at Sam on his horse.


“Yes… dear.”


One after another, all four began to laugh. Mary walked up to her horse and lightly swung into the saddle. She and Sam rode together nearly every weekend the sun was shining, and Sam was a good teacher.


James trotted over to his horse, grabbed a handful of mane, and leapt up on the horse’s back. The horse shifted a time or two, then settled down.


Mary leaned in and asked Casey, “Did Sam show off for you?”


“What do you mean?”


“HEY, SAM! DANCE FOR OUR BOY HERE! SHOW HIM WHAT YOU’VE GOT!”


Sam took off his cowboy hat and wiped his forehead, then put the hat back on. He dropped the reins and began to put the horse through a complicated series of movements, using only his feet and legs - the horse pivoted in place, taking exaggerated steps, dancing, and finally bowing down. Then Sam picked up the reins, clucked his tongue twice, and was off like a bolt, full tilt, toward a closed fence gate. A strangled cry came from Casey, as the horse sailed lightly over the gate and spun back to face them. Leaning forward against the horse’s neck, Sam stayed perfectly balanced in the saddle as his horse reared and pawed the air furiously, before settling to the ground and shuffling its hooves for a moment.


The other three all clapped and cheered, but Casey was the loudest. Sam beamed, swept off his cowboy hat, and bowed, before trotting back to his party. Lovingly, he patted and stroked his horse’s neck as it tossed its head. “I’m glad I warmed him up before Casey got here. It’s not good for Sleipnir to do that cold.”


Casey had an odd look on his face when he asked, “Sleipnir?”


“Yep,” Sam said, “James suggested the name, although it’s a mouthful for most folks. It’s –“


“The name of Odin’s eight-legged horse,” interrupted Casey, “I know, but I’m surprised James reads comic books.”


“I don’t. The name came from Norse mythology. There’s a comic book version?” He smiled and winked at Casey.


“Come on, boys,” called Mary. “You can discuss each other’s blind spots while we’re moving. Casey, don’t let James talk you into doing anything you don’t feel comfortable with, since you haven’t ridden before.” She smiled at Casey and James blushed. “I limped for a day and a half after the first time I rode with him. Your horse may try to follow if James gallops.”


“Thanks, sis. I’ll keep that in mind when Coyote Man here smiles and winks.” Casey pointed his thumb at James, laughing. “They say to never trust a man who winks at you.”


As they began to walk the horses out to the pasture, James said quietly to Casey, riding beside him, “Casey, you can trust me with your life.”


Curious, Casey glanced over at him. James was staring straight at him, his brown eyes clear and intent. Sitting his horse easily, he repeated, “Always.”


Casey smiled softly. “Same here, James.” When James looked away, Casey shifted in the saddle and rose in the stirrups to adjust himself. James looked back again, and Casey blushed and muttered something about “damn underwear.”


*
After the ride, they set the food out on the coffee table in the den, and settled on the floor in front of the television.


“Casey, I heard you put on a pretty good show in gym the other day. What happened?” Mary took a sip of her drink, watching him over the rim of her glass.


Sam and James both shifted to look at him, too. James had a slight smile on his face.


Casey looked down and muttered, “Nothing. You shouldn’t believe everything you hear.”


“Sara told me that Billy Martinson walked with a limp for two days. All he’d say about it was you’d be sorry the next time you two wrestled in gym.”


When Casey didn’t answer, James spoke up, “I heard the story. The coach made him and Billy wrestle when Billy kept giving Casey crap. Casey had started to turn on Billy when the coach walked in.”


“And…?”


“And Casey owned him from the beginning - took him down right off, and started working him over. The only time he let go was to put Billy in another hold. The coach let it go on ‘til Billy was beggin’ for mercy.” James almost sounded proud.


Casey looked up then, and quietly said, “I never wanted any of that to happen. Billy won when he made me mad.”


Sam laughed out loud, and said, “I bet that’s not what the guys in your class are saying, Casey.” He punched a few buttons on the remote.


James stood up and stretched. “Hold on. I need a refill first. Sam, can I have another Coke?”


“Sure. Get me a DP, too. Anybody else want a Coke?” Sam looked around at the others.


“I want one.”


“Me too.”


“What flavor?”


“Seriously? Coke is a flavor.”


*
Mary’s daddy picked her up at eight that night. He waved at Sam and James, but he looked curiously at Casey. After a second, though, he smiled and waved again before he drove off.


“Well, fellas, what now? Another movie?”


“Sam, if it’s all the same to you and James, I’d kinda like to just hang out outside and wait for the stars to come out.”


“That sounds good to me, if I can get something to drink first.”


Sam started walking backwards toward the house. “What can I get for you guys?”


“Why don’t you surprise us?”


Sam turned and trotted inside, while Casey and James walked over to where Sam and his dad had built a fire pit. Casey relaxed on the ground. James began pulling a few sticks over to the pit and laid a small fire, but didn’t light it.


“So, Casey, whatcha been doin’ with yourself?”


“I just got done installing a new solar array for Jim and Carol. All their outbuildings are off-grid now, and we’re planning to take the main house off next year.”


“Things going ok for you there? Are y’all gettin’ along alright?” James dusted off his hands and turned to look at Casey.


“James, they’re more like family than my own blood. The first night I met them, Jim welcomed me home, and he meant it. The best I was hoping for was a place to sleep for a few days. Carol’s the sweetest lady I’ve ever met, aside from your mother. They put me to work around the place the second day I was there. I guess you might’ve expected that. There’s always something that needs to be done. But it makes me feel like I kinda belong there. Like, maybe, I’m not just passin’ through.”


Sam rejoined the other boys. He had a small cooler in his hand. He set it down and pulled three bottles out, handing one apiece to Casey and James before taking one for himself. Twisting it open, he asked, “What are we talking about?”


“I was just telling James about living with Jim and Carol. They gave me the whole second floor to live in, so I’ve got plenty of privacy, and shelves and shelves full of books. They gave me a computer for my schoolwork, too. I know the state didn’t pay for that. They are so generous with me, I feel like I’ve got to do well to justify their faith in me.”


Casey stopped and took a drink, and came up sputtering. “Damn, Sam, I didn’t expect a beer! Give a guy some warning!”


While Casey had been talking, James had already taken a swig, and grinned over at Sam before taking another. “Lightweight.”


“My daddy won’t mind if we drink a few, as long as we stay put, and don’t do anything stupid. James, it’s starting to get a little dark. Why don’t you go ahead and light that fire. Just don’t build it up much more – we don’t need the heat.”


James opened up a little metal box next to the fire pit and pulled out a long match, struck it, and set the fire alight. In a few seconds, it was casting a flicker across their faces. The boys sat quietly, watching the flames, and slowly noticed the sounds of nature starting up for the night.


Casey drained his bottle and set it down, then cleared his throat. “In case I haven’t said it often enough or loud enough, Sam, you’re my witness. James, I owe you more than I can ever express or repay. You’ve been the best friend I could ever hope for, and I’m gonna thank the beer for the sack to say it, ‘cause you know how bad I am at that stuff.”


James looked at Casey and smiled. “Yeh, I know.”


“What about me? Don’t I count?”


James laughed and said, “Sam, you’re everybody’s best friend. Thanks a lot for having us come over today. I really had a great time.”


“Me too, Sam.”


“You guys are welcome here anytime. You know that. And if it takes a special invitation to get you two in the same place at the same time, I’ll get some printed.”


Casey stood up and stretched. “I need to excuse myself. Back in a bit.” He walked off toward the house.


*
As soon as Casey was out of earshot, James asked, “Sam, what did you mean by that?”


For once, Sam was serious. “James, you’ve been keeping Casey at arm’s length for a while now. Mary and I have noticed, and you’d better believe Casey noticed. Whatever’s wrong, don’t let it stand between you two.”


“Sam, it’s not that simple…”


“Yes it is. It’s ok to let him in.”


Casey came back to the fire and sat down on the ground next to James. Sam opened three more beers and passed them over to his friends. Nothing more was said, and after a couple more beers each, James got up and went inside, staggering a little. Sam doused the fire while Casey followed James in. When he got there, he lay down beside James on the floor, and James drowsily rolled over and nestled up against him with his arm on Casey’s chest, using his shoulder as a pillow, and softly started snoring. Casey lay awake for a while, wrapped his arm around James to pull him closer, and sighed.

Thanks K.C.
2015-2016 Russell Kyle, all rights reserved. Not to be reproduced without written consent of the author.
  • Like 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's nice to see James and Casey warming. Casey sure made certain Same and James understood his appreciation for James. Step 1, I guess. Now c'mon James, take a chance, Casey's not going to hurt you! Haha ...easier for me to say than him to fear!

 

James has good friends to sense the cause of his discomfort and then do something about it.

 

A great chapter rustle, I enjoy this story immensely!

Link to comment
On 11/19/2015 02:17 AM, skinnydragon said:

It's nice to see James and Casey warming. Casey sure made certain Same and James understood his appreciation for James. Step 1, I guess. Now c'mon James, take a chance, Casey's not going to hurt you! Haha ...easier for me to say than him to fear!

 

James has good friends to sense the cause of his discomfort and then do something about it.

 

A great chapter rustle, I enjoy this story immensely!

Thanks for the review. I'm really glad you're liking the story.

Link to comment

What a great story. The end-of-chapter snuggle had me sighing. Sam is such a good friend to both James and Casey; now let us hope their friendship can be enlarged and grown so that both boys are made whole.

Link to comment
On 11/20/2015 09:14 AM, Parker Owens said:

What a great story. The end-of-chapter snuggle had me sighing. Sam is such a good friend to both James and Casey; now let us hope their friendship can be enlarged and grown so that both boys are made whole.

Alcohol, the social lubricant. But it's Not Done Yet.

Link to comment

I loved the ending with both boys snuggling together.

 

I couldn't agree more with Parker about Sam being such a great friend to James and Casey.

 

And now that I've reread the chapters, I understand how James' grandfather got the wrong impression of Casey, thinking he's a bad influence on his grandson and forbidding him from seeing Casey.

 

Glad that's all taken care of! lol

 

Keep writing Rusty! I'm looking forward to more. :)

Link to comment
On 11/20/2015 01:18 PM, IrishprideNY said:

ok Great chapter, stop with the Teasing :)I know it keeps us coming back for more, can`t wait for the next one. XD

Thanks, man. Teasing?

Me?

Link to comment
On 11/20/2015 01:34 PM, Lisa said:

I loved the ending with both boys snuggling together.

 

I couldn't agree more with Parker about Sam being such a great friend to James and Casey.

 

And now that I've reread the chapters, I understand how James' grandfather got the wrong impression of Casey, thinking he's a bad influence on his grandson and forbidding him from seeing Casey.

 

Glad that's all taken care of! lol

 

Keep writing Rusty! I'm looking forward to more. :)

Thanks Lisa. More coming soon.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..