Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 4,895 Words
  • 2,311 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Valedictorian - 6. Attack of the Harpy

Last paragraphs of chapter 5:

“He’s calm. He didn’t seem worked up or anything, even though I was expecting him to be, y’know – considering what had happened to him at the hands of my father. Oh, by the way, do you know they’re married?”

What?!

“Hehe – yep, quietly last summer. I saw the rings and asked. He didn’t try to hide it from me. He told me an interesting story about meeting some dude at a cross-country race the fall of his senior year. Andy, I think his name was. I guess they got along pretty well. Anyway, this kid was married to another guy while still in high school! So that was in the back of his mind the whole year. When they found out that only married students could live off campus the freshman year, he and Twoey got married and rented a house. If you fly down, that’s where you’ll stay. He said there are lots of guest rooms. It’s a pretty large place. In fact, I intend to go visit with Barbie this summer.” He rummaged around, found what he was looking for, jotted something on a little pad and gave it to me. “This is his address. He tells me it’s not too far from the airport.”

 

Tom’s little bombshell sure has my mind active all the way home, and for the rest of the evening too! I wonder if Twoey’s mom knows. I figure she has to know. I don’t understand why she never told me – unless maybe she thinks I already know. Whatever. Once Tom tells Barbie, everyone will soon know – hehe.

Before I leave for school Monday morning, I receive a text from Don telling me not to expect to see him by my car. It seems an emergency meeting of the newspaper staff has been called. I hope this isn’t about me. Sarah said she was going to show me her article today; now I’m wondering when it will happen.

The parking lot is surprisingly empty of students when I arrive. Inside, I overhear that there is a joint meeting of the student council, the newspaper staff and the GSA happening right now. I’m a member of the GSA, why wasn’t I informed of the meeting? I have half a mind to crash the stupid thing, but think better of it.

I notice lots of kids missing from all three morning classes. What the hell kind of meeting is going on? Most everyone is back by lunchtime, but I can’t find Don or Sarah. I spot Tom and head over to his table. He’s in the GSA.

“What the hell was going on this morning?”

“We received some intelligence from Martha. Something’s going to happen after school.”

“What’s going to happen?”

“I can’t tell you.”

What?!

“Easy, Chuck. I can’t tell you because it’s important you don’t know.”

“Tom, that doesn’t even make sense!”

“It will, after school.”

I start to get up, but Tom places his hand on my arm and urges me back down. “What’s going on, Tom?”

“Promise me you won’t do anything stupid. Just hang in there for a few more hours. Please – promise?”

I can see the sincerity in his eyes. I have to trust him. Barbie looks worried about me ‘doing something stupid’ too. I decide to join them for lunch, but the conversation never goes anywhere near that subject again. We do talk about the marriage. Tom doesn’t understand why David never told him, either.

“It wasn’t like he was trying to hide it. He came right out with it, and the reason they decided to do it when they did.”

“When you and Barbie visit this summer, at least you’ll have one topic of conversation.”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Tom smiles and I see that little something I noticed when we were in his room yesterday. I can’t believe I had him so wrong over these last couple of years. Talk about prejudice and bias. I’m as guilty as the next guy.

Just as the bell rings to end lunch, Tom informs me that Sarah will meet me in my ‘office’ seventh period.

All through fifth and sixth periods, any GSA members in my classes seem to be studiously avoiding me. I start to get a little steamed about it, but I don’t do anything ‘stupid’ – hehe.

Finally, seventh period rolls around and I make a beeline for the library. I’m comfortably ensconced behind my ‘New Arrivals’ bookcase, impatiently waiting for the enigmatic Sarah. When she does arrive, she slides in next to me instead of across the table, as she usually had done. She pushes a printout in front of me and I see it’s the article she promised to show me. It doesn’t take me too long to scan the entire thing. First, because it’s all pretty dry and matter-of-fact. Second, because it’s rather short.

“This is fine, Sarah. It’s sort of brief for all the trouble you put me through.”

She chuckled. “This is the short version. It was a much larger piece, but the paper will be delayed a few days to cover today’s event. That’ll take most of the ink.”

“You’re not going to tell me about today’s ‘event’ either, are you.”

“Actually, I can tell you quite a bit now. We’re only about twenty-five minutes away. It’ll happen right after school.”

“I’m all ears.”

“First, let me give you some background. We were all blindsided last night when we got the call from Martha Miller. Apparently she’s not the only one in her family disgusted with her parents. She was told by two cousins that Mrs. Miller was going to cause a scene right after school and right in front of the main entrance.”

“Can she? I mean, can’t Security throw her out? She has no right to trespass.”

“You don’t know she’s on the school board?”

“Twoey’s mom told me there were some religious nuts on the board, but I didn’t realize she was one of them.”

“There are three. Mrs. Miller, Mrs. Ribbon and some guy I never met before, a Mr. Tomax. Interestingly, both Mr. Tomax and Mrs. Miller are up for re-election a week, Tuesday. We couldn’t believe how everything was falling into place, and so decided to act.”

“OK. Now I’m officially confused.”

“When David Megal helped form the GSA, Mr. Tomax and Mrs. Ribbon were doing everything in their power to prevent it from happening. I don’t know exactly what he did, but he visited each of them and their opposition ceased. There were all kinds of wild rumors that he had compromising pictures of them. Of course, I didn’t believe anything that absurd, but something sure as hell happened.”

“Why did I never hear about any of this?”

“Chuck, that spring you were never around. I think you and your boyfriend were in a period of ‘discovery’ or something.”

“Oh – hehe – yeah; it’s when we first fell in love.”

“So, back to our plan. We know Mrs. Miller intends to attack, and a secondary source told us Mr. Tomax might be there too. You know, to show the flag for his followers. This is simply too perfect. It’s important that we give them enough rope to hang themselves. We might get a twofer. They could lose the election and she could lose her custody fight for Shawn.”

“So how am I involved in any of this? Why was this ‘plan’ kept secret from me, even though the rest of the GSA knows. And why is Tom afraid I’ll do something stupid? And where is Don? None of this is making any sense to me.”

“Ok, Chuck. It’s reality time. Take a deep breath and calm yourself. The object of their attack is Don.”

What?!

“Mrs. Miller blames Don for confusing her son and wants to make it appear he’s the one responsible for the suicide attempt.”

“That’s ridiculous.”

“Of course it is, but that’s what she’ll be here ranting about.”

“And you wouldn’t tell me, because?”

“Because you cannot try to defend him. You have to step back, with me, and let her do whatever she intends to do. Don is going to stand firm and not back up, even one step. We’re hoping she’ll physically touch him.”

“Are you fucking crazy? The last guy to try something like that almost got beaten to death. I won’t let that happen to Don.”

“Yes you will!” The familiar, new voice caused me to look up and see Don had arrived.

“What do you mean, ‘I will.’”

“Look, Chuck, we have everything covered. There will be at least four phones recording the encounter, from four different angles. All she has to do is touch me. That’s assault. We have GSA members ready to call security and the police when that happens. If you jump in, it may never happen.”

“What if you need protection?”

“Tom and half the football team will be in the crowd. Look, they want a crowd. They’ll be so happy there is a crowd, they’ll do something stupid. We can’t do anything stupid. I’ll just stand there and take all her crap. I won’t say a word. Love, you’ve got to promise me you won’t get involved. The future of your hotline could even hang in the balance. If you want to do something, take some video too. We can’t have enough of it. Adults assaulting a seventeen year-old is news, and something they can’t paper-over in time for next week’s election – especially if we really get lucky and they end up in jail.”

“I don’t like it.”

“I knew you wouldn’t, that’s why we didn’t tell you earlier. Look, the bell’s about to ring. Let’s get out front. Now, love, as soon as she confronts me, you and Sarah will take two steps backward to get out of her line of sight. I want her focused totally on me and I need to be completely alone. It will seem to give her added strength. Then we pray she’s a little careless.”

I don’t know what to think. All my mind sees is the broken David, lying in the hospital bed. These people are animals. If it weren’t for Tom and the football team being there, I think I’d try to stop it.

We exit the building and begin moving down the entrance walk. I notice there are lots more kids around than usual, and I recognize a few football guys, but don’t see Tom or Barbie. Before we get to the walkway that lines the drive, where the busses load, she appears. Her hair is wild as are her eyes. I’ve never met the woman before, but it’s obviously Mrs. Miller. As she pounces on Don, Sarah grabs my arm and we step back. You don’t know how difficult it is for me to not place myself between my boyfriend and that crazy woman!

Sarah is recording. The woman is ranting about sins and gay-agendas and all kinds of stupid shit. She’s gesticulating and trying to intimidate Don, who stands his ground stoically. There! She brushes his chest and Don flinches. Is he emoting? C’mon Don, don’t overdo it. Now two more people appear. An older guy – it must be that Tomax character – and a younger, twenty-something, who’s holding a sign with some fucking bible verse. Now they have Don surrounded! I make a move to protect my boyfriend, but don’t get one inch before huge arms surround me from behind to hold me still – Tom.

“Relax, Chuck. We’ve got it covered.”

I see the glint of a lens from deep in the parking lot. There’s a guy taping and a lady standing next to him with a microphone. TV? The nearest station is in Syracuse! Now that crazy Harpy is repeatedly pushing her finger into Don’s chest, but he doesn’t move or flinch this time. Jesus, how much more assault do they want? Call the fucking cops already! No sooner than I think that, sirens are heard. In unbelievably quick succession, two squad cars screech to a halt behind the busses. Four guys jump out, three in uniform and one in a suit. At the same moment, the security guard from school brushes past us. Before the group surrounding Don gets surrounded themselves, the younger guy with the sign swings around to watch the approaching cops. As soon as he does, his sign clips Don’s head causing him to crumple to the ground. I try to pry myself from Tom’s iron grip, but he won’t let go.

The rest of the scene plays out quickly. As the uniforms cuff all three attackers, Don tries to get up, but the suit holds him down and talks quietly to him. Don is sitting on the sidewalk conversing with that guy when I hear more sirens. Now an ambulance arrives and soon Don has a collar around his neck and is on a gurney. The nuts have already been placed in the squad cars.

“Jesus, Tom, let me go talk to Don!” He does, and I’m immediately by his side, getting dirty looks from everyone in charge.

“Are you OK?”

“Yeah, it only stunned me when the sign hit. I’m fine, but they need to check me out, I guess.”

“I’ll follow the ambulance to the hospital.”

That gets me a sweet look from my boyfriend. Before I leave, I see Sarah talking to the TV reporter. I realize everything happened the way they wanted, but I don’t like it one bit!

Later, as we’re waiting for his mother to arrive at the hospital, I have to ask.

“When you first got touched, it looked like you were overacting. Was all of this acting?”

“No – Yeah – well, that first one was a bit. I didn’t know if she was going to touch me again, so I wanted all the phones to capture that she did, in fact, touch me. After that, she was obviously punching her finger into me, so I stood still. I do have a bruise or two from that, which they took pictures of upstairs. The sign hitting me on the head did stun me for a minute, and I fell sort of involuntarily. I don’t know, maybe a defensive maneuver by my body. But it wasn’t that much of a hit.”

“Did you know there was a TV crew there?”

“No. Where were they?”

“In the middle of the parking lot. I don’t know where their truck was. It couldn’t have been live, they were just taping it. Sarah was talking to them when we left for the hospital.”

“You know, that’s really great. I think Mrs. Stozer and Mr. Goerss are going to kill those two next week.”

“What?”

“Jesus, don’t you follow Daleville politics?”

“Um – no, absolutely not. Mrs. Stozer as in Sam’s mother?”

“Yeah, she must be bored with him being in college.”

“And Mr. Goerss as in Matty and Mark’s father?”

“The same.”

“Oh, wow! That’s mind boggling.”

“They’re going to run Mr. Dolson, Benny’s father, next year to drive the last one out of office. That should be easier when the pictures get around of these guys in handcuffs.”

“Who was the younger guy? The one who hit you with the sign.”

“I have no idea. I guess we’ll have to wait for the gossip to catch up – hehe.”

“We shouldn’t lose track of him. I hope someone got a good picture. He was obviously trespassing. He’s not on the board and I don’t even think he’s from Daleville. Then too, he was the guy who hit you with the sign. He could be in trouble. But see if someone can find out who he is.”

“OK, I’ll definitely mention is to Sarah.”

“One more thing. How did you ever get Mr. Field to go along with that crazy plan?”

Mr. Field had been our vice-principal for years and this year became the principal. Everyone likes Mr. Field.

Don gives me a guilty look. “Actually, he was out of town today, at a conference.”

“And the vice-principal, Miss Spague?”

“She was spending the entire day in the elementary wing, watching year-end plays.”

“Oh, brother – you are so cooked!”

To emphasize his well-done status, an irate Mrs. Nelson appears. Don tries to assure her he is fine. After she leaves to do the paperwork to spring him, Don says, “Well, I’ll fill her in on the ride home. Do you want to come over for supper?”

“Nice Try. You’ll have to face her scrutiny all by yourself. Maybe Paul or Barbie will deflect your mom a little.”

As they leave the hospital, I follow a few steps behind. Mrs. Nelson doesn’t look happy and has already begun her interrogation. I smile when he turns his head to give me a helpless look. Poor Don, but I had been against this thing, and that was before I learned there was no administrative support. I wasn’t gonna help him now. I hope she reams him a new one. I wouldn’t want to be in Mr. Field's office tomorrow, either. I’d put money on Sarah and Don being there at about 9:01!

A quick call to Sarah identified the station, so Mom and I watch the news before we have supper. I point to the image of me being held in place by Tom. The coverage is really one sided – our side, for once. The announcer even hinted it might go down as a hate crime, because the three of them attacked and ‘knocked out’ the poor seventeen year-old boy. Ah, yes. Our press, accurate as always.

Over supper, Mom asks what I think. After the newscast, I had explained to her about the board of education election and the custody fight for Shawn.

“I don’t like what they did. It was foolish and I don’t like it one bit.”

“You have to admit, it seems to have worked.”

“That doesn’t change a thing. We don’t even know who that younger guy was; he could have been dangerous. One of them could have had a gun. My boyfriend could be dead right now. Is everyone’s memory so short? These same assholes almost killed David. If the cops had arrived a couple minutes later than they did, David would have been dead. Sure, it looks like their little plan worked, but it wasn’t worth the risk. I’m still furious! When they got wind of the plot, they should have told the school administration and called the cops. That would have been the safe way to deal with the threat, not come up with some soap-opera drama. This could have ended very tragically.”

‘What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. I sure don’t have to say too much to Don. Mrs. Nelson must have been feeling all the same things I was when she got to the hospital. I don’t think I’ll be able to add any more to what she says to him tonight. Hehe – she started before they got out the door of the hospital.”

“Ouch! Poor Don.”

“Hopefully, he’ll learn from it.”

~*~

The next morning, I am met by Sarah and Don as I park the Mustang. He seems a bit subdued, but she is happily chatting with him.

I look at my boyfriend. “How did it go?”

“Long. When Dad got home, it started all over again.”

“It figures. I sort of expected that’s what happened when I didn’t get a call last night.”

“I tried to explain, but neither one was buying any of it. I can usually play one off the other, but not last night. Even when I told them about the guy in the suit.”

“The one who was talking to you when you were sitting on the ground?”

“Yeah. He was from CPS and was talking to the police about the Shawn Miller situation when they got the call. So his being there to see Shawn’s mom in her ‘crazy’ impersonation I think is going to go well for Shawn to end up living with his uncle and aunt. He was sort of talking to me about Shawn’s ‘situation’ while we waited for the ambulance.”

Sarah begins to speak as we enter the school. I swivel around and say, “I’m not talking to you right now. That was a stupid stunt to put my boyfriend in danger. It’ll take a while for me to get over it.” Then I turn and head off to my first period class.

All through first period, I get more steamed. When the bell rings, school is out for the day – for me. I head out to the parking lot and jump into my Mustang. I wouldn’t be any good in there today, and it’s all just review. I decide to spend the day between Kory’s and the lake. I go to the lake first.

Sitting on a bench near the shore, I can’t help but remember David telling me how this was his lake, where he would hash out his problems with the help of the seagulls. My problems are certainly not as devastating as his were, but I do have some serious decisions to make, plus the trip to Florida.

I need to make an appointment with my lawyer to talk about my trust fund. When I told him I would be attending Yale, he explained how my investments have grown over the seventeen years since the fund was established. Tomorrow it will have been eighteen years. He told me that even with the cost of college factored in, the fund would continue to grow. I think that means I will be able to help fund the project I have in mind. I know David uses the same lawyer I have. I remember the day he came to me and asked. I guess he didn’t want any connection to the New York family lawyers, in spite of the fact the firm won him such a large settlement. David has divorced himself completely from his family because, according to him, they used his life as a pawn in a chess game. I don’t know all the details, but I do know he is both smart and adamant. He loves Tom because they have a bond, not because he is family, at least that’s what he told me. So I need to bring my A-game if I expect to win anything from him that can be interpreted as friendly to this town.

Then in about a month, after I hear my name, Charles Stevens, called and I walk across the stage to receive my diploma, a new person will be born. I’ll need to discuss that with my attorney too. Don will fly to LA about two weeks after graduation and this reborn ‘Chuck’ will need clear thinking to begin his future. I’ll probably be visiting David’s lake more often – I hope I don’t talk to the seagulls though.

The lake has calmed me considerably. I can see why he liked it so much down here. I’m in a much better mood as I drive to Kory’s. It’s between breakfast and lunch, so the place is nearly empty. I decide on a Greek omelet and Mountain Dew. I know, but Don won’t see me. Martha is not working today, at least this early. Maybe she’ll be here later. I should be emotionally back to normal by then.

It’s time to call David.

“Chuck? Again? What are you going to force me to do now?”

“How are you doing, David? The weather is warm and sunny here today. It’s been a beautiful spring so far. How is it in Florida? You’re not in class, are you?”

“No, school’s finished for the semester. Aren’t you in school?”

“Actually, I’m in Kory’s. This is my first senior skip-day. I spent a few hours down by your lake.”

“You’re getting a little bold, aren’t you? But, I think you always were. Everyone thought of you as shy and retiring, but I knew better.”

“Can I visit you this weekend?”

“Oh-oh. This must be serious. Sure you can. And you’ll stay here with us; there’s plenty of room. Is Don coming too?”

“No. This has nothing to do with him.”

“Hmmm. Doubly serious and mysterious. Have you made flight reservations yet?”

What follows is a long discussion of the proper airline and connections to make my trip reasonably comfortable. I only need to give him a call when I leave on the last leg and they’ll be waiting for me at the airport. I use my phone and make the proper reservations. I’ll arrive Friday night and leave Sunday afternoon to return home. It’s a good thing I have a card to access a certain portion of my funds. My father had provided a living portion of the fund which has helped us afford to reside where we do for these past eighteen years.

During the time I spend on all the transactions, I am able to finish my omelet. I notice it’s about lunchtime at school, and so expect a text pretty soon, wondering why I’m not in the cafeteria yet. If they really are successful in dumping those terrible people off the board of education, it’s possible there could be a funding source there too. I’m reluctant to go that route because I don’t want this program dependent on politics. If they kick in, say, a location to use, that will be fine, but I really think the operation needs to be independent of the school. It needs to be an organization of the community. Maybe the Community Fund could help a little. With the figures Ginny gave me, I really think this can be accomplished without too much major funding. With volunteers from the GSA and fundraisers, to keep the community aware and involved, I think it can be a go.

And that’s when I remember another resource available to me. My brother Carl has to have some sort of administrative experience after all those years in the navy. I’ll contact him after returning from Florida to get his input. Wow! I’m proud of myself. The wheels are turning only a weekend after the idea came to me.

My text tone alerts me to the fact it must be lunch period at the high school.

 

when u getting here

not in school - at korys

y

need to cool off

want me there

no - not yet - pick u up at 3

ok - not happy

 

I know there will be some shit for me at three o’clock. I decide not to think about it and instead call for another Mountain Dew – and an order of fries.

“How did it go with Mr. Field?” Don has slipped into the car. I thank God Sarah hasn’t tried to wheedle her way in too. I don’t know what I would have said to her. We head off to Kory’s.

“He was madder at us than you were.”

“Good man.”

“So what did you do all day, besides eat junk food?”

“I visited the lake, got myself into a better place, made reservations for Florida and made an appointment with my lawyer for Thursday.”

“Wait. Florida? Lawyer? What the hell is going on with you, love?”

“I’ll be eighteen tomorrow and need to visit my lawyer to see what possibilities that opens up for me.”

“OK, I guess that makes sense. Now, what about Florida – David?”

“Yes. I talked to him today. He told me what airline to take. I’ll leave Friday and return Sunday. You have a free weekend. By the way, are you grounded?”

“Um – a little.”

“Well there you go, it’s perfect. We couldn’t have been together anyway.”

“She didn’t say that you couldn’t come over.”

“Tell her that’s what you thought. You’ll get brownie points without having to earn them.” I give him a sly smile as we arrive at Kory’s. Not a minute too soon either. My stomach is growling for the best cheeseburger in the world.

“So, I can’t go with you to Florida?”

We arrive at his ‘office.’

“You’re grounded. Hmm – Martha’s still not here.”

“I’m sure we can talk our way out of that.” Don looks hopeful.

“Nope. Take your medicine. I don’t need any distractions anyway. It’s gonna take all my strength to spring money from David for the center.”

“You want him to fund it?”

“No. I only want him to help fund it. I want to help fund it too, which is why I need to see my lawyer before going down there. But I think it’s important the community also help, if only by fundraisers. The need for the center has to be kept visible to the community.”

For all practical purposes, that’s how Tuesday ends. I eat my cheeseburger to add to my memories, I drive Don home for his punishment, I return to my house for dinner with Mom and spend the rest of the night coming up with what I hope will be irresistible selling points for David.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Sandwiched in there somewhere, I told Mom about my weekend Florida vacation.

When I wake up tomorrow, I’ll be eighteen!

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Whew! More excitement in Daleville! Don't the far right people have anything better to do than get into shoving matches with their opponents? How very silly of them, and how clever of Don and the rest to ambush them. Hope the harpies don't get wind of who orchestrated their downfall; it could get nastier than nasty again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Scandalous!!!!!!! Scheming!!!!!!! Seventeen-year-olds!!!!!!! (couldn't think of another S-word right then) great job!!!!!
Jay

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Given the way the crazies are in this community, it was utterly stupid for Don, Sarah et al. to pull that stunt. I hope it isn't going to provoke a tragedy before all this is over...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Gotta admit that the plan was ill-considered when you factor in the craziness of this group--Don could have wound up like David--and he still might if the unknown guy turns out to be one of the pastor's devotees. He was running a school to brainwash kids for who knows how long.
I'm a bit confused if Chuck has access to funds to fly to Florida for the weekend, but had to buy Eric's car rather than look around more...surely another Mustang could have been found--or he could have this one painted another color?
More questions than answers here, but then, isn't that what drives a story?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm glad that Chuck was able to deal with all that anger. Everyone needs a lake to calm them down! He seems to have thought out most of the aspects of his plan to set up the hotline, but I suspect that there's a pipe wrench lurking, waiting to be thrown into the works! Skinny is at the controls, after all! Thanks, Skinny!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

As ill advised as that plan was, (could have gone so very badly) and as justified as Chuck's anger is, I am glad that they did it. I'm sure there were better ways, had it been thought out properly. But, how can you be upset at a bunch of teenagers standing up for the right thing. We spout things like 'be the change' and these youngsters made a choice to not let the bigots determine their future. Now it's up to the responsible adults and parents to turn this into a teaching moment. Show them where they went wrong, where they could have done differently, and how their voices can still effect change in a positive way.. And back them up against the likes of They have a duty not to let these kids down..
This group is much more proactive and vocal than David's. This is why Chuck's idea is an exciting one, and I hope he doesn't meet with too much resistance..

 

I sense it's not all over yet though. Good job SkinnyD..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/21/2016 01:46 PM, Parker Owens said:

Whew! More excitement in Daleville! Don't the far right people have anything better to do than get into shoving matches with their opponents? How very silly of them, and how clever of Don and the rest to ambush them. Hope the harpies don't get wind of who orchestrated their downfall; it could get nastier than nasty again.

Thanks, Parker!

 

The generational gap may be a saving factor for the little town. Are these just the remnants of a quaint and dying-out sect, or is there some deeper thing to be worried about?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/21/2016 02:00 PM, JayT said:

Scandalous!!!!!!! Scheming!!!!!!! Seventeen-year-olds!!!!!!! (couldn't think of another S-word right then) great job!!!!!

Jay

Thanks, Jay!

 

I can't think of another S-word either, except "s'nice to have you read and review!"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/21/2016 02:22 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Given the way the crazies are in this community, it was utterly stupid for Don, Sarah et al. to pull that stunt. I hope it isn't going to provoke a tragedy before all this is over...

Thanks, Lux!

 

I -- and Chuck -- agree with you. But people of that age don't always consider all the possible fallout of their actions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/22/2016 02:11 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Gotta admit that the plan was ill-considered when you factor in the craziness of this group--Don could have wound up like David--and he still might if the unknown guy turns out to be one of the pastor's devotees. He was running a school to brainwash kids for who knows how long.

I'm a bit confused if Chuck has access to funds to fly to Florida for the weekend, but had to buy Eric's car rather than look around more...surely another Mustang could have been found--or he could have this one painted another color?

More questions than answers here, but then, isn't that what drives a story?

Thanks, CG!

 

I agree with your assessment. Poking at a hornets' nest is not always a wise maneuver.

 

As to the Mustang, I don't think Chuck had any revulsion to the car. He liked it and got a deal. He was never involved in the drama surrounding Twoey and Erik. Another color? What's a better color that black for a Mustang? hehe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/22/2016 08:36 AM, jess30519 said:

I'm glad that Chuck was able to deal with all that anger. Everyone needs a lake to calm them down! He seems to have thought out most of the aspects of his plan to set up the hotline, but I suspect that there's a pipe wrench lurking, waiting to be thrown into the works! Skinny is at the controls, after all! Thanks, Skinny!

Thanks, jess!

 

Chuck seems to be pretty mature, of course he's a senior and (about to be) 18.

 

It's nice he can use David's lake in the more positive way of it creating a calming effect and allowing for introspection. Right now, as far as Chuck's concerned, the pipe wrench is David's participation, but we'll need to wait and see.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/23/2016 07:09 AM, Defiance19 said:

As ill advised as that plan was, (could have gone so very badly) and as justified as Chuck's anger is, I am glad that they did it. I'm sure there were better ways, had it been thought out properly. But, how can you be upset at a bunch of teenagers standing up for the right thing. We spout things like 'be the change' and these youngsters made a choice to not let the bigots determine their future. Now it's up to the responsible adults and parents to turn this into a teaching moment. Show them where they went wrong, where they could have done differently, and how their voices can still effect change in a positive way.. And back them up against the likes of They have a duty not to let these kids down..

This group is much more proactive and vocal than David's. This is why Chuck's idea is an exciting one, and I hope he doesn't meet with too much resistance..

 

I sense it's not all over yet though. Good job SkinnyD..

Thanks, Def!

 

The 'more proactive' group of teenagers is no doubt one of the products of David's leadership and founding of the GSA. Probably a little-realized legacy. What all this has shown is the impact of a generational gap that can possibly be the salvation of the town if it is successful in purging it of that other legacy -- PPF's.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Trying to figure out why Chuck wants to change his name? Maybe I need to reread earlier chapters. I love the way Chuck keeps working out possible solutions to his hotline plan. And I think Don's plan to be assaulted was actually pretty good. In spite of all the trouble it caused him, it may just succeed in putting a stop to the religious extremists. Thanks. Jeff

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..