Jump to content
    Stannie
  • Author
  • 1,949 Words
  • 1,780 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Others - 26. Chapter 26: Two rivers

Well, it took me long to upload again. My computer crashed, so I took out an old laptop, but that one has a broken keyboard, so I had to use the on-screen keyboard and my phone to write. My fingers still hurt xD Have fun reading and don't forget to email me at stanniestories@gmail.com or send me a pm! I enjoy reading your feedback

Stannie

It's Sunday, the day of the party. I want to back out, I don't want to go anymore. Tomorrow I will run away, I'm sure people will understand I need some time to reconsider. Or whatever. I just don't want to go, I hate having to socialise.

I didn't even pack my stuff. I don't want to take much with me, but I'll need some clothes, my toothbrush, and headphones to listen to music while I feel sad… Or happy, of course. It feels so weird. I'm so close to the moment I've looked forward to my whole life, but it just feels unrealistic. As if tomorrow is a year away.

Before I can leave, I'm gonna meet my dad. I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to more, running from my life, or seeing my dad. Confronting him with my life and how he's ruined it. He doesn't know who I am, but I'm sure he's going to recognise me. I wonder what he'll say to me?

I get a text message from Marc. "Hey man, you said you were gonna fix us some beer, right? Didn't forget about that, I hope?"

I reply: "When was the last time I forgot something?"

Within a minute he says: "You forget to go to school a lot, for one. But cool, cya at 5!"

I glance at the clock, I've another hour before I need to go to the party. My dad will be there, if he didn't forget about it. I don't think he'll forget, because he knows I'll tell Codey about him if the beer isn't at the party in time. Damn, I feel nervous. Finally going to face my dad. Maybe that might somehow convince me not to go away tomorrow?

Nah, I promised. I want to run away tomorrow, can't back out now.

Another hour, that's probably enough to write a blog post. It's been way too long since I uploaded anything. Now I'm thinking of it, what about the blog? Will I keep it updated while travelling or should I make this post a goodbye text?

If I do, maybe people will connect the dots. An anonymous blogger decides to go missing right when a silent kid who no one really knows about does too? What would my mom think of it? I know she rarely reads a post, when she does it’s because her colleagues recommended it to her. I know she once had a colleague, a close friend as well, who told her she thought that the blogger would make her a perfect match. I had to try really hard to keep a poker face.

No, this post is not going to be a goodbye. I'll try to get an internet connection regularly to be able to share my new thoughts. I never understood why people wanted to read the blog, that's why it sometimes feels like it isn't really my own blog. That sounds weird, doesn't it? It's hard to explain, but I'll try. You know, I feel inhuman at times, I feel so disconnected from what I'm supposed to be. In real life people don't like me, because they don't understand me, so why do they like my reflection on a blank word file? Maybe they try to imagine a person when they read it, they take my words and mold them into a human being. That way, they create their own perfect man? Their perfect me.

I write:

"Sometimes I feel so disconnected from the real world. I live in these blogs, this is my life. And even though you guys like what I write (at least, that's what I understand, why else would you read what I think about the world?) I'm sure none of you would like me in real life. That's probably for the best, because that way I'm able to keep a distance between myself and reality, so I can observe everything from far away."

No, this is crap. I won’t post this.

What should I write about then? I know this isn't going to be my last post, but that doesn't make me feel like this isn't important. This is going to be the last post of my old life. Tomorrow, everything is going to be different.

"Time is like a river, people sometimes say. I want to change that sentence a bit: Your life is like a river. It will flow, no matter how much you can try to stop the steam. You can make choices, which is like moving a stone in your river, but you can't ever change its course completely. If you accept that, you can use that to your advantage. It sounds dull, I know. People often say you have to accept the flow of your life in order to influence it, but that's not the purpose of this entry. As you probably know by now, I don't write from an arrogant position above all of you. I'm not a god who realised how to live, moreover, I bet you guys are better at living than I am. No, I write this because even though I always say life is like a river, I never believed it. Even though I spent a lot of time thinking about this subject, I never understood it. Now I do, I think. Not that life itself is like a river, your CURRENT life is like a river. You make choices, you move the stone, you influence it a little bit. But that doesn't mean you are that river. No, you can walk away from it. When you move a stone in the river, you never know what impact that will have. Of course you have some expectations, but the flow of water is as unpredictable as life. So, after moving some stones, you sometimes don't like the result. There is nothing wrong with that, it's normal, but when it happens, there are only three things you can do:

- accept the current flow,

- try to undo it by moving more stones,

- abandon your river.

The latter sounds pretty definite... It is! It's a final option, your last resort after the other options failed. But it's an option nevertheless. This is something I've always known, somewhere deep down, but never realised. That's the real purpose of this blog, I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing, but I want you to realise something that took me a long time to learn. You can abandon your river and look for a new one. That does mean you have to abandon (most of) your life, but it's worth it. If only to learn how to manipulate a river, so you can return several months later to improve the river you originally fucked up.

I'm abandoning my river. I'm gonna leave everything behind, expect for you guys. I'll take the blog with me, to tell you how I learned to change the course of a river. Maybe that'll save you from having to abandon your own life. Out."

I glance at the clock, I have another twenty minutes left before I need to get going. Can't be too late for my first meeting with my dad. I check my email and see a message from Seth. It's short, but pretty clear about what he wanted to say.

"I don't want you to, but you'll still go. I just want to tell you I'm going to keep sending mails to you, even though you won't read them. I’m going to change my life today. You made me realise life is too short to worry about those things. I would ask you to wish me luck if I thought you actually care.

Goodbye."

Damn, that feels bad. I have to get used to the feeling though, this is how goodbyes feel. And in not more than seventeen hours I have to say goodbye to everyone. I print the letter I wrote for my mom and fold it neatly. I give it a little kiss and then hide it beneath my pillow. I don't want my mother to find it before I've really left her. I'm not sure what she would do. She would try to convince me to stay, of course, but that wouldn't help her. I'm still going. Maybe she'd lock me in my room, but for how long? She would have to let me out eventually, and then I would still run away. It would make everything way harder though. I can't leave her if she knows about it. I can't look into her tear filled eyes and wave goodbye as I'm leaving.

I'm a coward.

I take a look at my room. This is the last time I'll see it, tonight I'll crash at the party and tomorrow, early in the morning, I'll grab my bike and leave. Up until this point my mom knows nothing. She thinks it's a vacation, even though she doesn't want me to leave on my own without a real plan, she agreed. In about a week I'll text her and tell her to look for the letter under my pillow. Right after that I'll have to shut off my phone. I never made a plan like this before. I have to do this!

The room is clean, too clean. I tidied it up, there aren't even any books on my desk. No clothes on the floor, no pyjamas on my bed. I stripped the sheets and closed the curtains. When I look at it, it doesn't even look like my own room anymore. I even cleaned out everything on the computer and reinstalled it completely. I made a backup of the documents I wanted to save, mainly stories and blog posts. I put them all on my phone, but it wasn't much. It hurt to realise that's all I am, a few pixels on a screen. A few bytes on a phone. That is my life! That is my river! Even choosing a new river won't change that. I'm words on paper, words on the internet.

I find my mom laying on the couch. She opens her eyes as I enter the room."I'm off to the party soon."

"Promise me you'll be careful."

"Of course, mom, it's just a party," I reply with a goofy smile. Normally I don't smile like that, but I used it to hold back my tears. Damn, only when you consider leaving someone, do you realise how much you love them. For real, the feeling I get now is weird. It's deep down, I feel it in my bones. My stomach hurts a little bit. I know what this feeling is: realisation of unconditional love. This goes further than the choice of whether or not you like someone. This is bound in blood, you can't ignore that feeling.

"I meant about your vacation. All on your own out there. Can I still not talk you out of it?"

"Nah, I really have to do this," I say with a crack in my voice.

She stands up and hugs me. " What's wrong, sweetie?"

Don't call me sweetie! Don't make me feel like a child now, I have to stay strong, that's important. If I start crying now, I'll probably tell her about my plans and maybe I'll let her talk me out of it. "I'm just gonna miss you mom."

"You said you were just gonna go for one or two weeks, I'm sure you'll survive," she says. "I'll be waiting here for you."

"Thanks. I should go now."

She loosens her hug, so I manage to crawl out of her grip. "Have fun," she says when I walk away.

"I will!"

 

Copyright © 2017 Stannie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Guest Croyde

Posted

It was worth the wait, the story built slowly but kept me gripped. Good to see you back again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So many feelings and emotions. I believe that he is in for a surprise at the party. I may have an idea as to how things will pan out ;) but I'm probably wrong about it. 

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Bleu said:

So many feelings and emotions. I believe that he is in for a surprise at the party. I may have an idea as to how things will pan out ;) but I'm probably wrong about it. 

Well, we'll see. For the first time since long I managed to write a few chapters in advance, so I guess it won't take me long to post some more chapters! Looking forward to hear if you were right :D 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Guest Croyde said:

It was worth the wait, the story built slowly but kept me gripped. Good to see you back again.

I'm glad you find it worth the wait. I'm actually writing a new story and I will update 'missing' soon, both stories will progress a little faster as they aren't focussed on the thoughts of the main character that much. Thanks for the review!

 

Link to comment

Mebe there will be a realisation that you can't just leave one "river" for another, cos everything is a flow, smooth, rough, change of direction, change of scene.

 

The only choices in the flow of the river of life is whether you directly influence it or not...cos it's always gonna flow.

 

Someone once said: not making a choice, is in fact a choice. And

 

If you don't choose, the choices will be made for you...

 

One can never leave your "river" or "flow" behind...cos any move is like an unseen vortex...just cos you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there and that it doesn't have some kind of influence, drag or pull...cause and effect...

 

Enjoying your writing ;-)

Link to comment

Very emotional chapter. My expressions on this chapter will be liberal as I am approving and at same time opposing your views. Changing the course might give new views, new opportunities,  new adventures, new flow, and a new River(I may say). But was it worth? To find out the flow is still To downhill. To find out the destination is still the same.

 

Waiting for the next chapter... :)

 

~Emi. 

Edited by Emi GS
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Magicstate said:

Mebe there will be a realisation that you can't just leave one "river" for another, cos everything is a flow, smooth, rough, change of direction, change of scene.

 

The only choices in the flow of the river of life is whether you directly influence it or not...cos it's always gonna flow.

 

Someone once said: not making a choice, is in fact a choice. And

 

If you don't choose, the choices will be made for you...

 

One can never leave your "river" or "flow" behind...cos any move is like an unseen vortex...just cos you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there and that it doesn't have some kind of influence, drag or pull...cause and effect...

 

Enjoying your writing ;-)

Yeah, that realisation could come. I like how everyone tries to interpret the story about the river in his own way, it gives me many insights!

 

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Emi GS said:

Very emotional chapter. My expressions on this chapter will be liberal as I am approving and at same time opposing your views. Changing the course might give new views, new opportunities,  new adventures, new flow, and a new River(I may say). But was it worth? To find out the flow is still To downhill. To find out the destination is still the same.

 

Waiting for the next chapter... :)

 

~Emi. 

I like the part about the destination of the rivers. Indeed, they will all flow into the sea in the end!

 

Thank you for the review!

Link to comment

I agree with Emi; I found this chapter very emotional. I'm still all choked up over the fact that Adam feels he needs to leave this river behind to find another river. But maybe he'll find an ocean instead, or maybe just a small pond. We always think the grass is always greener on the other side, but I think Adam will find out his river was always the better river because it included people he loved, like his mom and his brother (he still loves his brother). The new body of water he finds won't have the comforts of his old river. I think he will find he's lonely with this new body of water.

 

I also wanted to question why he thinks no one likes him. He has friends in school. People like him. Why does he feel no one likes him? Only his readers, but of course they don't know it's him writing.

 

I think I know what Seth is going to do at the party, and I really hope I'm right. Maybe it'll change Adam's mind about running away.

 

I'm REALLY looking forward to his confrontation with his father. I really want to hear his father's explanation as to why he hasn't contacted him in all these years, and really, considering they don't live far from each other, he has no excuse.

 

Ok, I promise I will read the next chapter in the  morning. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..