Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Complications - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter 11

 

About midnight, a knock was heard on the door. Kim shushed the visitor, Greg.

“Hi.”

“Hi, how are they?” Greg asked.

“They’re both out cold.”

Greg checked the monitors on Glenn and turned to look at Josh. He’d never seen his face so stained and tormented as it looked at that moment. He sat down next to Kim.

“What happened?”

Kim sighed. “Glenn got into an accident, right after they broke up. Well, after Josh called it off.”

“What?” Greg gasped.

“Yeah. Josh didn’t think he was in love with Glenn and told him so. He broke off their engagement.”

Greg shook his head and glanced at Josh’s left hand. “I never thought he’d actually do it. I told him to spare Glenn’s feelings, but his alternate plan was worse. They belong together. If they’re broke up, why’s he still wearing the ring?”

“Glenn’s family doesn’t know yet and besides, I reminded our precious Dr. Adams of just how giddy and goofy in love he’s been with Glenn this whole time. I think he’d forgotten that. He was just having a serious case of cold feet.”

“He was in love with me. I wonder how much my name came up….”

Kim took his hand. “He saw the light with you. He realized the truth about himself. He’s grateful to you and loves you very much.”

Josh stirred, and Greg crossed over to him. “Hello?”

Greg took his hand. “Hey, sorry. Didn‘t mean to wake you.”

“It’s alright. Good to see you.” Josh pulled him in for a long hug.

Greg smoothed his back. “I’m so sorry about what happened.”

“It’s all my fault, you know? I’m sure Kim filled you in on what incredibly stupid things I said to him right before he nearly died.” He dug his nails into Greg’s lab coat and broke into sobs.

Greg rocked him gently. “Shhh. He’ll be alright thanks to you. You know in your heart that you’re in love with him, don’t you? You’ve always been head over heels for him.”

Josh pulled away and cleared his face. “I didn’t think I could be after what happened with you, but I found a way again. He’s such a great guy…how could I have said that to him?”

Glenn stirred a bit, his eyes opened. Kim rocketed off of her chair and took his hand. “Josh, Greg! He’s awake!”

The two doctors got up at the same time and ran over to the bed. Glenn awoke and the first face he locked eyes with was Josh.

“Hi,” he said quietly.

Josh dried his face quickly and took the pale hand. “Thank goodness. Hey, how do you feel?”

“Beaten up. What happened?”

Kim rubbed his leg. “You were brought to the ER last night. Do you remember anything?”

“I remember leaving your apartment and riding my bike. It was dark, it started raining….”

Glenn, you struck his head on the pavement so hard it shocked your spine. You’re temporarily paralyzed in both legs and have to stay in the hospital until you regain feeling. You’re lucky to be alive. I’m very glad that you are.”

Glenn looked down for a moment at the sparkling engagement ring and raised a brow. He flattened his lips to a thin line and paused for a moment. “Really? That’s more than a little surprising to hear, but I’m glad to hear it anyway. Hey, is my family here?”

Josh withdrew. Oh yeah. He remembers what I said. Dammit. “Yeah, let me get them.”

Kim cleared her throat. “I’ll go get them, you stay by his side.”

“Thanks, Kim.”

Greg saw the look the two shared and patted his friend’s arm. “I’ll catch you later. You’ll be just fine, Glenn.”

“Thanks, Greg.”

Josh caught his arm. “Thank you. For everything.”

“Anytime.” He walked out just as Glenn’s parents walked in.

“There’s my baby boy! I knew he heard me!” Betty chirped with glee.

Vernon smiled at the patient. “I knew you’d pull through, son. You are one tough boy.”

Josh felt snuffed out like a candle left in a windstorm. He excused himself from the scene and walked out to the waiting area where Kim was.

“He remembers, dammit. Why did I do that? Am I that stupid?”

“Shhh. Come on, Dr. Adams. Let’s go down to the cafeteria. I’m starved.”

 

*

Over the next few days, Glenn regained his strength and some feeling in his legs. Josh was very vigilant and stayed by his side as much as possible. But Glenn remained distant, no matter how much Josh tried to reassure him that he still really did love him. He couldn't blame the man, he'd hurt him terribly. Josh worried that he'd lost his one chance with Glenn in his stupid guilty hesitance to truly make a commitment.

Greg dropped in on his friend when he was on shift. “Hey.”

“Hey.”

“How is he today?”

“Same, pretty much. He’s determined, I’ll say that.”

Greg smirked. “Well, if he can put up with you, that’s a feat in itself.”

It was meant to be in jest, but Josh took it literally. He crossed his arms tightly across his stomach and shut his eyes. “I don’t even know if he wants to put up with me anymore.”

“He will, you know he will. I think you just got cold feet.”

Josh nodded and sniffed, reaching for a tissue. “If I’d just realized it before I went off on him like that, maybe this would’ve never happened. You know this is all my fault!”

“No it isn’t!”

“Yes it is!” Josh barked back. “This whole accident is my fault! If he hadn’t have been crying his eyes out because I broke up with him, he could’ve seen the car coming at him! He could’ve died!” He buried his face in his hands and wept soundly.

Greg hugged him tightly. “Now, you listen to me. I know how you feel about that man. You love him! You were just still a little blinded by your old feelings for me. Shhh. Hey. Hey, Josh?”

The bleary-eyed physician looked up. “What?”

“Be honest with him, like you always have been with me. You know your true feelings for him, don’t you? Kim made you realize them?”

Josh nodded. “Yes. Remarkable woman she is, watching out for me and Glenn. She wants us to be together and happy. I love her so much. I wish I could’ve sprung this on her a bit more gently.”

Both men looked over their shoulders at Glenn’s room and saw the physical therapist leave.

“I gotta go. Oh, I took a leave from my practice. I’m sending them to Dr. Hartell.”

Greg nodded and hugged his friend again. “Good choice. Hey, why don’t you and the kids come over for dinner some night this week, alright? You need a home-cooked meal over that garbage in the cafeteria.”

Josh laughed. “It is awful, isn’t it? You’d think with what they charge for it, they’d serve gourmet. Kim has been cooking for me sometimes when I bring the kids by. She’s been so supportive. I think she’s dating someone new too. Alright, enough gossip, I’d better get back. Thanks, Greg.”

“Anytime.”

 

 

Josh walked into Glenn’s room and saw him massaging his legs.

“Hey.”

“Hi.”

“How was your therapy?”

Glenn winced as he touched his knee. “Brutal. I guess that’s why she calls it pain and torture.”

Both men shared a small laugh. It was refreshing to have a light moment between them for once after the drama they’d gone through.

“Josh…when can I go home?”

“Why? Tired of this spectacular environment already? Or just want to get away from me?”

Glenn fell silent. Josh flipped through the medical file in front of him. Neither said a word for nearly a minute. The tension in the room thickened to a degree beyond cutting it. It was rock solid.

“Josh…”

A meek “I’m sorry.” was all Josh was able to utter. His heart was in turmoil as his true feelings were finally coming to bear, but would they even be heard or worse, would they even be believed at this point?

Glenn reached for the doctor’s hand. “I've been doing a lot of thinking, about all that you've been saying. I know what I want.”

“What’s that?”

“I want us to be well again and move on from this…catastrophe. But I need to know what you said the day of the accident, was it really just cold feet or…?”

Josh tightened his grip on Glenn’s hand. “It was cold feet. I swear to you with everything in me, I am in love with you. I always have been.”

Glenn’s expression lightened. “Really? You are in love with me? Only me?”

“Yes, only you. Can I tell you something?”

“Anything.”

“The night you came into the ER, my heart about stopped! I was so afraid and upset and worried. My training kicked in, eventually, otherwise, I don't know how I would have made it--seeing you like that, so broken and..."

“Josh….”

“I've known all along that I was in love with you. I’d fallen almost since we met. I've just had such a hard time, letting go of the past. I was so stupid not to see what was right in front of me. I think my life would end if you weren’t with me to love me and support me, listen to me, and just be there, I’ve been dead for this past week without knowing if we’re still meant to be or not….I want us to be as we were.” He laid his head on Glenn’s chest.

Glenn pet his lover’s hair softly. “Josh… I want to be with you more than anything in the world. I know you’re in love with me, hell I knew before! You were stuck on Greg for so long that it was hard to give up on that, and I realize that. I’m just glad you finally faced the truth.”

Shocked and relieved, Josh perked up, his mouth open. “You believe me?”

“Yes! I know things blew up that night, but I can't help still feeling a little afraid of your relationship with Greg to be honest. How can I know it’s really over?”

“It is! I promise you on my life!” Josh gushed, his heart thumping at the prospect that Glenn had truly forgiven him and was offering him another chance.

"Josh, are we getting married?”

“Hell yeah! I want you to be my husband forever!”

SLD 2018
  • Like 21
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm not sure Josh has really come to his senses about loving Glenn.  I sure hope that is true so that Glenn doesnt get hurt anymore - especially after they marry.  Glenn is a great guy and good for Josh.  Life could be really good for them.  He just has to stop being so lovey dovey with Gregg (always these long hugs, etc.).  Just give a quick hug and shake hands - that'd let us, and especially Glenn know that he was being honest with Glenn as well as himself.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Terry P said:

I'm not sure Josh has really come to his senses about loving Glenn.  I sure hope that is true so that Glenn doesnt get hurt anymore - especially after they marry.  Glenn is a great guy and good for Josh.  Life could be really good for them.  He just has to stop being so lovey dovey with Gregg (always these long hugs, etc.).  Just give a quick hug and shake hands - that'd let us, and especially Glenn know that he was being honest with Glenn as well as himself.

Great points, Terry! Josh needs to really get a grip on things and his feelings...stop the long hugs, etc.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I hate to disagree but Josh isn't over his feelings for Greg, but knowing Greg is unattainable he is settlings for Glen and the accident just piled the guilt on Josh. He is settling for what he can have which is better than being alone. I can see Greg getting drunk again and crossing over to the MSM  (men who have sex with men) side and messing everything up.

Link to comment

I think Josh does love Glenn; but does he love only Glenn?  I don't know the answer and I am not sure that Josh does either.  I think they both need some serious pre-marital counseling before the big day.  I do believe it is possible to be in love with two people in the same way but unless you are in a poly -relationship, you can't be with one and not the other.  I honestly think the Greg is straight and I just don't see him ever leaving his wife and kids for Josh or any man.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, charlie lytle said:

I hate to disagree but Josh isn't over his feelings for Greg, but knowing Greg is unattainable he is settlings for Glen and the accident just piled the guilt on Josh. He is settling for what he can have which is better than being alone. I can see Greg getting drunk again and crossing over to the MSM  (men who have sex with men) side and messing everything up.

Possibly...in one ending I did it have it trending that way, but alas, it was lost in a computer meltdown years ago.

I would hope he could keep on the wagon and not sleep with Greg ever.

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

I think Josh does love Glenn; but does he love only Glenn?  I don't know the answer and I am not sure that Josh does either.  I think they both need some serious pre-marital counseling before the big day.  I do believe it is possible to be in love with two people in the same way but unless you are in a poly -relationship, you can't be with one and not the other.  I honestly think the Greg is straight and I just don't see him ever leaving his wife and kids for Josh or any man.

The feelings should fade if not returned...that would leap over to obsession and he's already toeing that line.

Link to comment

I think Glenn was stupid to take him back and he's going to get hurt in the long run. I think Josh's feelings and heart stopped moment in the ER was because he was wracked with guilt. The accident happened right after he broke up.   I get the feeling that he will get cold feet and when he's standing up at the altar he's going to break it up. Josh has just been a complete asshole through out the story.

 

At first I was sympathetic for an unrequited love but them way he lashed out at Greg for not returning the feelings turned me on him. 

 

However I almost feel Greg may turn out to be gay.  Like how they hated each other in the beginning was because Greg saw something in Josh (maybe subconsciously knowing he was gay)!that he was denying himself - if that makes sense. 

Edited by Hunter of Porn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Hunter of Porn said:

I think Glenn was stupid to take him back and he's going to get hurt in the long run. I think Josh's feelings and heart stopped moment in the ER was because he was wracked with guilt. The accident happened right after he broke up.   I get the feeling that he will get cold feet and when he's standing up at the altar he's going to break it up. Josh has just been a complete asshole through out the story.

 

At first I was sympathetic for an unrequited love but them way he lashed out at Greg for not returning the feelings turned me on him. 

 

However I almost feel Greg may turn out to be gay.  Like how they hated each other in the beginning was because Greg saw something in Josh (maybe subconsciously knowing he was gay)!that he was denying himself - if that makes sense. 

Time will tell...I'm posting the last chapter here in a second.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..