Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 16. Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

 

Robert came home from work and he knew David was still at his job. He took a quick nap to refresh himself, changed clothes, shaved off his beard, and had a quick supper alone. The temperature outside had been trying to warm up, but spring was two weeks away yet.

 

Robert missed David a lot and texted him on his phone. “I miss you. Come home soon. I love you.” He sent the message. Two minutes later, the phone rang. Robert answered it.

 

“Hey, baby.”

 

“Hey. How are you?”

 

“I’m just missing you. I made us dessert. Your favorite, cheesecake.”

 

“I think I could sneak out a bit early. It’s quiet as a tomb here. The girls have it all under control. I can’t wait to see you.”

 

Robert smiled widely and felt his pulse jump. “You’re so awesome, David. I’ll see you soon.”

 

Ten minutes later, David pulled up in the driveway. It was still rainy and chilly out, so Robert didn’t meet him. David walked inside and saw Robert at the kitchen table wearing his famous ensemble of the bikini briefs and matching robe. David smiled and walked briskly to take the man in his arms.

 

“Hey sweetie. Gawd, you look hot! That’s my second favorite outfit of yours.”

 

Robert kissed him soundly. “What’s your first fav?”

 

David ran his hands over Robert’s body. “I think you know that one. Mmm, I get to kiss your face fur-free this time. Very nice.” They kissed and groped each other for a moment.

 

“Did that for both of us. Oh, the cheesecake! We don’t want it to go bad, it’s been out for a little while.” Robert took David’s hand and led him to the table to sit down. They ate the slices quickly. David’s hand never left Robert’s. He glanced down at the promise ring.

 

“Rob?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“How much longer did you want to be “promised”?”

 

Robert shrugged. “I dunno. I guess until we get engaged. Soon I hope. I really feel ready this time.”

David cocked his head. “That wedding of theirs was difficult, wasn’t it?”

 

Robert’s eyes misted over. “Shit. I wanted to be over it, all of it. It was so similar to what I wanted before. It was like watching myself, but someone else had taken my place.”

 

David brushed his lover’s hand. “You don’t want to be in that place again, do you?”

 

Robert heard deep concern in David’s voice. “No, trust me. I don’t. I love you, David. Only you. Yes, Phillip and I had a past, but I’m looking forward to a friendship with them, if it can truly happen. You really wouldn’t mind Andrea coming over here with her super hot daddy?”

 

David scowled at him. “Hey, watch it with the name-calling. We’re all adults, right?” He slipped off his chair and knelt in front of Robert. “Listen to me. You are my life, not him. He was escaping. You came here willingly and stayed. I’m really glad you did!” A few happy tears left his eyes.

 

Robert brushed them away. “My angel.”

 

They shared a long hug. Robert stroked his lover’s head as it lay in his lap. After a few moments, David sat back on his knees and took Robert’s hands.

 

“I may not have the ring yet, but I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I love you so much and want to be with you always.”

 

“I love you too! Are you asking me to…?”

 

David cleared his throat. “Robert Marshall, will you please marry me?” David paused a moment. “And stay?”

 

Robert and David both broke into tears. They embraced each other quickly.

 

“Yes, I will marry you, David! I’ll stay forever! I promise that to you. Shhh, we’ll survive. We’re meant to be.” They kissed a few times and hung onto each other. “I want to set the date. Right now.” Robert boasted.

 

David smiled. “When?”

 

“For September 17th. Our one year anniversary of when we first met. That way, we’ll have six months to make it perfect.”

 

David kissed Robert’s ring. “We’ll go shopping this weekend. I’m off Sunday.”

 

Robert smiled. “Sounds terrific to me.”

 

They smiled at each other and Robert put the cake in the fridge. He started to walk down the hallway when David stroked his arm. “Wait a moment.” He bent down, scooped up Robert into his arms, and carried him to their bedroom.

 

Afterward, Robert got out of bed and sent a text message to his sister. “We’re engaged!” Two minutes later there was a message back congratulating them both.

 

Robert called his parents in the morning and told them the good news. Mark answered the phone. “That’s terrific news, son! I know you’ve got a winner this time.”

 

Robert grinned. “Thanks, Dad. Hey, Mom there?”

 

“Right here.”

 

Cassie took the phone. “Honey? I’m so happy for you!”

 

“Thanks, Mom! I’m pretty euphoric myself.”

 

“Well, we’ll have to get together soon and start planning the wonderful event!”

 

Robert rolled his eyes. “Nothing elaborate, okay? We just want a nice, simple wedding.”

 

“Young man, after what you’ve gone through, you deserve the best. I’ll call you tomorrow. Tell David hello and that we love him too!”

 

“I will, mom. Kiss Luke for me.”

 

“Will do. Bye for now.”

 

“Bye.”

 

Robert hung up the phone. He saw David come back from the bathroom and ran out to greet him. They kissed passionately. “Come back to bed, my fiancé?”

 

“Gladly.”

 

They celebrated all day long.

 

 

The next day, David and Robert were in the mall selecting their wedding bands. All of a sudden, they heard two gasps behind them.

“D-David? Is that you?”

 

David turned around, looked behind him, and covered his gaping mouth. “Connor? My goodness! Where the hell did you crawl out of?”

 

“Cleve? Am I imagining things?” Robert said quietly. He could scarcely believe his own eyes.

 

Both men were caught in their own world of disbelief, seeing their ex-husbands suddenly standing in front of them, holding hands with each other. How could this have happened? The city was full of over four million people! But even so, fate had intervened.

 

For Robert and Cleve, it been almost two years since the two had laid eyes on each other. It had been over seven years for David and Connor.

 

David and Robert stood up in unison from the jewelry store chairs and approached the other men. David approached his ex, Connor, cautiously, but as the two examined each other with their more mature eyes, they pulled each other in for a brief hug.

 

“Gawd, David! It’s so good to see you again! You haven’t changed at all!”

 

“Conn… I didn’t think I’d ever see you again in my life! Where have you been hiding all these years?”

 

“There’ll be time for that later, we have to dine together! Oh, I need to introduce you to my fiancé.”

 

“I don’t think that’ll be necessary, will it Rob?”

 

“No… it won’t. Damn, it’s good to see you again!”

 

Cleve bowed his head a bit but looked up again. Robert was staring off into Cleve’s brown eyes. The eyes that echoed the pain and regret as he’d packed up, and run out the door. The eyes of the man that he’d hurt more than anything for nothing in return.

 

“Rob….”

 

“Cleve… I’m speechless. How, did you end up here again?”

 

“I’m a chef at a four-star restaurant downtown. I just started there a month ago. What’ve you been doing, or should I ask who have you been doing?”

 

Robert bowed his head as Connor scowled and crossed his arms. “Cleve, please. Don’t start this here. We’ll discuss it in a more appropriate setting.”

David cleared his throat and held out his hand. “Nice to meet you, Cleve.”

 

He accepted the gesture. “Likewise. David is it? You are the David, aren’t you?”

 

Robert interrupted. “Yes, he’s Connor’s embattled ex-fiancé. The same one that was so horribly left at the altar.” David bowed his head in embarrassment. Robert took his hand.

 

Connor whispered back. “Yes, I’m that Connor. The same, ridiculous child who made that horrific mistake all those years ago. I hope that now, at twenty-seven, I’m finally grown up, and I’m ready to be married to my wonderful Cleve.”

 

Silence fell over the group of men. Robert could barely take his eyes off Cleve. To see him again, especially after their sudden and dismal departure, was disconcerting. The man hadn’t changed much. There was the same shaved head, sporting his signature Mohawk. When he didn’t spike it up, he’d usually smooth the few remaining dark blond locks into his trademark wispy ponytail. There wasn’t much chest showing, but it was just as tan and muscular as Robert remembered. Cleve’s face was hair-free, save for a small soul patch of hair at his chin. Robert perused Cleve’s hands and saw a large, almost showy bauble on the left hand. Now that was an engagement ring suitable for a man like Cleve. His eyes met his ex’s and they moved in for a brief hug themselves.

 

“How’s it going, Cleve?”

 

“Very well, thanks. Let’s go talk over there. I know there’s some pretty heavy history with these two also.”

 

Robert nodded. “Deal.”

 

David crossed his arms and met Connor’s dark brown eyes. True, they had aged. Had the person inside truly done so as well?

 

“So, what’s dragged you into town after all this time?”

 

“Oh I come here more often than you realize. I travel all over the world, but this is certainly my type of town. I’m amazed we haven’t met up before now.”

 

“Me too. I’m glad we didn’t. It took me four long years to get over what you did to me. Do you even realize that? I finally found love again in my new fiancé.”

 

Connor suddenly couldn’t meet his gaze. He looked over at Robert and Cleve talking. “You’re engaged again, huh? So, what did you decide on?”

David looked back at the counter and saw the salesperson patiently waiting.

 

He walked over to her. “We’re coming back soon, please hold out those three sets we decided on.” The saleswoman nodded and put away the other selections.

 

Connor walked over to Robert and searched his left hand for a ring. He finally had to raise the hand and hold it up to the light. David saw this and snarled under his breath. Connor barely acknowledged his ex. “Oh, now I see it. I had to squint.”

 

David shoved his ex away from his fiancé. “Don’t you dare insult his ring or our choice! I don’t have the kind of money that you obviously do. I’m surprised you don’t need an armed guard with that thing on, Cleve.”

 

Robert shut his eyes. He hated to hear fighting, and he felt he had to stop it. “Guys, please. Can we just go somewhere else?”

 

David felt a surge of moxy rush over him. He balled his fists and glared at the duo. “Yeah, I know where we can go. Back to our place.”

 

All three men stared at him in disbelief.

 

“Wh… why?” Robert stammered.

 

“Hey, we need to settle some things. That’s not gonna happen in a nice, chic café somewhere. Nope. Come on over boys, we’ll have dinner. Tomorrow night good?”

 

Connor glanced over at Cleve and they exchanged a look. “Tomorrow night it is. What’s the address?”

 

David unearthed a scratch pad and a pen from his pocket. He scrawled out the information and handed it to his ex.

 

“Damn, such chicken-scratch. No wonder you stayed with medicine.”

 

Cleve interrupted. He looked over at Robert one last time. “We’ll find you. We have GPS.”

 

David rolled his eyes. “Of course you do. I’ll bet it’s all tucked away in a brand new Lexus or BMW, isn’t it? Well good for you! Is it gold-plated? Maybe diamonds all over it?”

 

Connor scowled. “Look, we’re not gonna get anywhere like this. Let’s call a truce until tomorrow?”

 

“Fine. Dinner at six. What should we have for your obviously discerning palate?”

 

Cleve grinned. “Well, I am a chef. Let me cook for you. I’ve learned some great techniques.”

 

David nodded. “Of that, I’m sure.”

 

“Sounds good to me. See you then.”

 

They parted ways for the night. David and Robert joined hands and walked back over to the jewelry counter. They made their selections and went home.

 

 

Dinner was to be a three course event of spinach roll-ups and veal parmesan, and dessert would be cheesecake.

 

David and Robert dressed in nice dress pants and shirts. They wanted to show that they’d truly done better than either of their exes expected.

 

Robert came out from the bedroom. “Hon, how do I look?”

 

David eyed his fiancé. The bright amber shirt and black pants looked wonderful on him. David applauded and encircled Robert with his arms. “You look, tantalizing. I’m very lucky.”

 

Robert smiled and looked over his shoulder into his fiancé’s green eyes. “I’m the lucky one. I’m so happy to be your fiancé.” They cuddled for a moment and kissed a few times. The doorbell went off. “Looks like we have company. Right on time, too.”

 

David answered the door. Connor and Cleve were dressed in suits and bore wine and cheese. “Hello, gentlemen. Come inside.”

 

“Thank you, David,” Cleve said politely.

 

The two men walked inside and there was an awkward silence as they all four stood in the living room together. Connor couldn’t help but look around. He tried to be polite.

 

“It’s a nice little house here. You finally got your own spot of land.”

 

 

David nodded. “It suits us just fine. I had it built myself years ago, when I was single.”

 

“Ah, well, you did a nice job. It’s a fine place.”

 

Cleve waved off his fiancé. “Well, I happen to think this is good for a first house.”

 

David smiled at Cleve. “Thank you. Yes, it's my first house. I lived in apartments for many years before I could afford this.”

 

Connor walked around and scoped out the hallway and the kitchen. He could just make out the patio in the backyard. “I remember our flat, don’t you? That terrible little hut we lived in? I think maintenance was over every other day.”

 

David chuckled. “I remember. Crappy place it was. You gotta admit this is helluva lot better than that place was.”

 

“True.” Connor admitted. “Though the nightlife was my attraction to that hut.”

 

David felt a lump in his throat. “Yeah, all the guys you’d leer at constantly. Leave me worrying about you for hours….”

 

Robert interrupted that train of thought. “Guys, we need to get dinner going. Thank you for the wine and cheese. I have everything set up for you, Cleve.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

The former duo walked into the kitchen together to avoid the feuding exes.

 

David finally spoke up again. “I’m sorry, old times die hard for me.”

 

Connor walked up and hugged him slightly. “You’re right. I’m sorry, I’m being a dick again. I guess I’m still that charged up young man on the inside. I was such an idiot back then. I had only one thing on your mind… sex, sex and more sex! I remember you and I did that a lot.”

 

David smiled to himself. He vividly recalled how steamy their days would be, especially rainy days. They wouldn’t even leave the bedroom for more than a few minutes at a time. David looked into Connor’s dark brown eyes and saw lines had formed around them. Truly, his hard, fast lifestyle was taking its toll.

 

“I remember. I play it a lot with Robert. He’s so awesome.”

 

“I’m glad you found someone again. It was a long time, wasn’t it?”

 

“Well, there was someone else before him, but it ended horribly. We were only together a few months. He was already married and used me as an escape. He ran back to his husband.”

 

Connor put his hand on David’s shoulder. “I’m so sorry! I can’t imagine how horrible that was, especially after what I did to you. Can you ever forgive me?”

 

David smoothed his hand over his blond hair and let out a breath. “Yes, I can. You weren’t ready yet. My other ex left me high and dry too. Robert’s here to stay, I know it. Hey, third time’s a charm.”

 

Connor nodded. “He seems like a really good guy. What’s his story?”

 

“He can tell you if he’d like at dinner. I won’t be a gossip about my own fiancé.”

 

“That’s cool. I understand. Dude, I’m starving. Let’s crack open that bottle of wine and chow down on some cheese n crackers. You can show me this house of yours.”

 

“I’m all for that. Let’s go.”

 

They prepared a snack for everyone. David and Connor headed outside to take in the backyard and rest of the house.

 

 

Robert and Cleve were in the kitchen together. Robert let out a breath. “I’m glad we can be alone. I wanted to talk to you. Cleve? Can you hear through that ruckus?” Cleve pretended to be chopping onions, due to his constant tears. Robert walked up behind his ex and noticed at last. “Hey, shhh, what is it?”

 

“What the hell do you think? Being here. Seeing you again. The constant slap in the face memory of how we left things.”

 

Robert felt a lump in his throat. “Cleve, I didn’t want to hurt you. Honestly I didn’t. You have to believe me.”

 

Cleve tossed down his knife violently and faced his ex. “You didn’t want to hurt me? Oh sorry, when I saw you and Phillip exchanging tongues, that hurt me! To see you fawn over him as if he were a god! That hurt me constantly!”

 

Robert broke into tears as he saw his handsome ex’s face covered with tears. He reached out with his arms and Cleve finally reluctantly accepted. “I didn’t mean to. He hurt me too. I swear it!”

 

Cleve calmed for a moment. “How did he hurt you?”

 

Robert leaned back and caught his breath. “He never fell out of love with Andrew. Ever. That day you saw us? That was the only time it ever happened. We were together only twice. Twice! I did everything I could. It didn’t last more than a few months. I left him and went back home to my parents.”

 

Cleve surprisingly hugged his ex again. “I’m so sorry that happened to you. I think you know now how I felt….” Both men felt a rush of emotion and stood there together, weeping in each other’s arms.

 

Robert smoothed his ex’s shoulders. “I’m so sorry, Cleve. You have no idea how sorry I am! I would give anything in the world to have you at least semi-forgive me.”

 

The two drew back and wiped their faces. “I have forgiven you, Robert. I truly have. I’ve moved on. Yes, it was incredibly hard! My brothers watched me every night as I cried myself to sleep. They did what they could for me. A few months later, I hit the pub scene again and met one of the owners who just happened to be in town that night. It was Connor.”

 

Robert nodded. “You’ve been together ever since?”

 

“Yes, we hit it off right away. We took it a bit slower than you and I did, however. We didn’t sleep together until about ten days later. I fell deeply in love with him and him with me. We were engaged about two months ago. It was the happiest night of my life!”

 

Robert frowned. He remembered their wedding day and night. It was very happy as well. “I think ours was pretty great too.”

 

Cleve kissed Robert’s cheek. “Yes it was. I loved it. I’m not discounting it in any way. We had a great ceremony. Nevertheless, it’s over. It’s been over. I have Connor now. He wants to hold our wedding on the beach, where we can be by the Atlantic.”

 

Robert grinned lightly. “It sounds beautiful. You two make a great looking duo.”

 

“Thank you, so do you and David. Oh, and I do disagree with my fiancé. I think your ring is very beautiful. I’ve lived alone and I know how hard it is to be extravagant. I’ve missed you, Robert. I think we had a great time together.”

 

“We did, I just messed it all up. It was my fault that things fell apart. I couldn’t get over my obsession with Phillip. We went to his and Andrew’s re-wedding.”

 

Cleve’s eyes grew wide. “Really? Wow, now that takes balls. What was the reaction?”

 

“Oh, a lot of folks stared at us, pointing fingers, all that garbage. We sat there and just tried to get through it. We succeeded. We’re all trying to be friends again. I’d like if we were again.”

 

Robert caught Cleve’s eyes for a moment and the chef smiled.

 

“I think we’re making progress. If I can keep Connor on his leash, we’d be just fine.”

 

Robert laughed. “He seems like a wild one.”

 

“You have no idea. I thought you and I did it a lot. Shit! Well, I’m at the restaurant a lot, things have calmed down. I’m looking forward to just buying a house together and living a semi-normal life again.”

 

Robert chortled. “A normal life with a club owner? Isn’t that an oxymoron?”

 

“Hey, I know it’s unusual. A chef and a club owner, but he wants out of the business soon. He told me so. He wants to just run a regular business so he can come home at night.”

 

“Wow, I guess he really has changed. David’s a half-homebody. We go out to dinner, arcades, biking, and all that kinda stuff.”

 

“Sounds very cool. We’ll do that stuff too, once we get all settled in.”

 

“I hope you do, Cleve. You’re a great guy, and you deserve the best.”

Cleve looked up into Robert’s blue eyes and smiled at him. They hugged again and lightly kissed.

 

“I missed you, for a long time. You were so sweet and gentle in bed.”

Robert squirmed a bit and shifted his feet. “Cleve, I won’t ever deny I was attracted to you. Damn, you’re so hot. I felt so ugly around my ex… I needed someone to want me back.”

 

“I missed you too. We’ve both been hurt so bad. Let’s just be friends and move on from there?”

 

Robert nodded. “I can do that. Sorry about the drama there. Anyone who ever dated Phillip had to get a major in it first.” Both men burst into laughter. They hugged one last time.

 

“Come on, help me with dinner.” Cleve proposed.

 

Robert laughed. “Me help you? That’s a bit like asking a coal miner to be a dentist isn’t it?”

 

Cleve laughed. “Not at all. Think of it like assisting a gifted surgeon. When I ask for an instrument, or utensil, just hand it to me.”

 

Robert nodded. “Okay, I can handle that.”

 

 

Dinner went smoothly as the dishes were served.

 

“Looks terrific, hon! As always.” Connor commented.

 

“Thanks, baby. Rob helped me out with some of it.”

 

David looked surprised. “You did?”

 

“Yeah! I enjoyed it. He’s a terrific chef. Could teach me a lot for sure. Besides, we had to clear the air a bit.”

 

Robert and Cleve shared a look and side-hugged.

 

“You guys are good again?” Connor asked.

 

“Yes.” Cleve reported.

 

“Thank goodness! We just cleaned things up completely with Phillip and Andrew and we’re glad we ran into you two. All these old hurt feelings and arguments just don’t fit anymore. Too much stress!”

 

All four men laughed aloud.

 

“A toast!” Robert announced. “To friendship and moving on with our new wonderful husbands!”

 

“Here, here!” Cleve agreed.

 

They all knocked back a swallow of wine and kissed their respective fiancés.

After the dessert was consumed and the coffeepot was emptied, the couples headed for the door.

 

Connor wordlessly embraced David. “I’m sorry I was such a jackass for doing that to you. I’m glad you found it within you to forgive me.”

 

David ruffled his gelled hair. “I understand, now. I’m glad we got it all out in the open at last. Be a good husband this time.”

 

“I will.”

 

Robert hugged Cleve warmly. “Same here. I screwed up so bad with us. I’m glad you could even still talk to me.”

 

“We’ve moved on, Rob. We’ll keep in touch, I’ll teach you my cooking techniques, if that’s alright?” He glanced up at David.

 

“Fine with me. He cooks well, we eat well!”

 

“Good night all, thank you again. Come on Cleve, let’s hit the sack.”

 

Connor took his fiancé’s hand and they walked out the door.

 

“Night! Drive safe!” David called out after them.

 

They shut the door and flopped down on the sofa side-by-side.

 

“Tired?”

 

“Yeah, a little bit.” David replied.

 

Robert reached for the remote and had just turned on the TV when David swiped the remote from him and muted it.

 

“Dav… what’re you?”

 

David leaned over and covered Robert’s mouth with his own. Robert wrapped his arms around the strong shoulders and melted into his fiancés kiss.

 

“I love you. Thank you for being the best man I’ve ever met.”

 

Robert smiled and stroked his fiancé’s face. “Thank you, also, my dearest David.”

 

They kissed again. David sat next to his lover and pulled out the ring box from the jeweler. Robert smiled when he saw the three-quarter-carat diamond ring sparkle and glisten in the light. He cleared his throat and looked into David’s eyes.

 

“Robert, will you marry me?”

“Yes! Without a doubt, yes!”

 

David slipped the ring onto Robert’s left ring finger and removed the promise ring from his right hand. “We’ve moved it up a notch. The wedding bands will be welded onto that.” They hugged for a long moment, taking in this wonderful scene. Finally, they stood up, joined hands and walked back to the bedroom.

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..