Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 7. Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

 

Robert went to see his family the next night. His mom had made her specialty—roast chicken. Robert arrived right from work. He was still in his suit and tie.

 

His father answered the door. “Well, look at you, all dapper.” He hugged his son briefly. “Cassie, Rob’s here!” he yelled back. “Come on in, son. Take a load off.”

 

“Thanks, Dad. It’s been a long day, I’m glad to be here.”

 

Serena came out from around the corner. “Hey, bro!” The two hugged. “How’s it going?”

 

“It’s going pretty well, thanks. How about you? Bring that boyfriend of yours over?”

 

Serena rolled her eyes. “Nope. When you bringing yours over again?”

 

Robert groaned. “David isn’t my boyfriend. We’re roommates. We have separate beds and everything.”

 

“Well, it’s only been a couple of months. I know you two are still recovering.”

“Yes, we are. Had quite the blowup the other night. We both lost it.”

 

Her eyes grew wide with surprise. She pulled him into the other room. “What? You didn’t tell me about that. What was all this?”

 

Robert ran his hand through his short hair. Its brief length still amazed him; he’d been so accustomed to longer hair. “Will you calm down? It’s no big deal. We’d gone to visit a friend of ours and we ended up having a long talk afterwards.”

 

Serena crossed her arms and frowned. “Wait a second. Who was this friend?”

 

Robert looked away. “It uh, it was Andrew and Phillip. Please, just drop it, okay?”

 

Serena grabbed her brother’s arm. “What the hell are you doing hanging around those two for? I thought you were done pining over that jerk!”

 

Robert pulled his arm away and shushed her. “Will you keep it down? Yes, I’m done with him. Fact is that Andrew was attacked and we went to see how he was doing. It’s called doing the mature thing.”

 

“Oh, well then, excuse me. I guess Mom and Dad won’t mind either if they knew.”

 

“Serena, dammit! Just leave it alone!” Robert hissed just as their mother walked in from around the corner.

 

“Honey? Hi! How are you?” She hugged him tightly and kissed his cheek.

 

“I’m good, Mom. Thanks.”

 

“Where’s that handsome roomy of yours?”

 

“He’s working. He sends his regards.”

 

Mr. Marshall smiled as he passed by on the way to the dining room. “Good man that one is. He’s way better than that cop you were stuck on.”

 

Robert waited for his father to be out of earshot. “Phillip was a good man too,” Robert forced the words between clenched teeth. “He was just confused. He didn’t know who he wanted.”

 

Serena gasped. “Don’t defend him! That’s the last thing you should do. Aren’t you his victim, my dear brother?”

 

Robert bowed his head. Their mother interrupted.

 

“Come on in to dinner!” she chirped and left again.

 

Robert looked into his sister’s concerned face. “Look, the matter is closed. Phillip’s out of my life and David’s in. Let’s just let sleeping dogs lie.”

 

Serena shot a glance over at her brother. “I hope you’re right. You need to realize what’s really good for you for once.”

 

Robert narrowed his eyes. “Thanks for the confidence, sis. I think I’ll do alright.”

 

Dinner was quiet, but it went fine. Luke had been first at the table and livened things up. He insisted on sitting in Robert’s lap, which he welcomed. The little boy always boosted his brother’s spirits.

 

Robert left an hour later for home. It was just past eight. The house was dark, save for the outdoor lights along the walkway and by the front door. Robert got out of his car and was greeted by a cold rush of wind. He ran to the front door to unlock it and hurried inside. He shivered from head to toe. He decided a hot bath would be a quick help. As he undressed, the tub filled up with very warm water mixed in with vanilla bath bubbles. He slipped into the water and felt better immediately.

A knock at the door sent his heart racing.

 

“Rob? You alright?”

 

“Yeah, I’m good, David. Come in.”

 

David walked in and saw Robert immersed in bright white bubbles. “Well, don’t you look comfy?”

 

Robert smiled. “There must be a cold front coming. I got out of the car and got hit with the iciest wind! I was freezing in just my suit. I thought this would be a good solution.”

 

David nodded. “I agree. Good idea. Ya know...I’m kinda cold myself. That same wind.” He scooped up some of the frothy vanilla bubbles into his hand and gently blew them over Rob’s body.

 

Robert licked his lips at the thought of David being in the tub with him. “Come on in. There’s plenty of bubbles for two.”

 

David grinned. “Are you sure?”

 

“Very,” Rob answered quickly and scooted to the front of the tub. David stripped in front of his friend. Robert tried to hide the subtle blush of his cheeks as he watched the man take off his clothing. He had to wipe the corners of his mouth, hoping his friend wouldn’t see. Damn you are one hot looking man David Griffin. He ached to be held in those strong arms again.

 

Finally, David slipped into the water and invited Robert to sit with him down on his end. “Much more room if we do it this way, don’t you think?”

 

Robert nodded. His desires had overwhelmed his ability to speak. He joined David at the other end and the two pressed together. Robert could feel how smooth David’s skin felt underwater, especially calm water this time. His fingers twirled the wet hairs on the soapy chest.

 

“How was your day, David?” Robert asked softly.

 

David grinned. “I don’t think I wanna talk about my boring day. How was yours?”

 

Robert shook his head. “My day is barely worth mention. I had dinner at the folks. They asked where you were.”

 

David nodded. “I see.”

 

Robert smiled as he felt his companion’s large hands smooth down his hairy legs. They stopped just short of his midsection. “Feeling better today?” he asked quickly.

“I’m just fine, thanks to you.” David kissed him sweetly.

 

When their lips met they made the most wonderful, sweet sound. The bathroom tile created an echo in their ears. Robert laid his head on David’s ample chest and wrapped his arm around his middle. David held Robert close and kissed his head.

 

“Rob?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Anything on your mind? You’re really quiet tonight.”

 

“Just thinking. My sister and I argued a little.”

 

“About what?”

 

Robert looked down. “I defended what Phillip did. I said he was confused. She jumped all over me and berated me for doing that.”

 

“I see. You don’t hate him, I know that.”

 

“That’s right. I don’t. I can’t.”

 

David grasped Robert’s chin and titled his head up. “You don’t still love him, do you?”

Robert shook his head. “No, not like that, as a friend.”

 

David stroked his friend’s chin and looked deeply into his eyes. “Are you sure?”

 

Robert smoothed David’s cheek. “Very sure. Do you still love Andrew?”

 

David chuckled. “He never really loved me. I did, but it died when he left.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes. Robert, there’s only one guy in this world I truly care about.”

 

“Who’s that?”

 

David splashed him with water. “You! You crazy man. I couldn’t imagine being with anyone else at all after having met you. I’ve never gotten along this well with anyone in my life.”

 

“Really? Not even Connor?”

 

“Connor was into sex, not speaking. Andrew wasn’t into anything I liked. I found two perfect mismatches. Now, I think third time’s a charm.”

Robert smiled and traced a heart on David’s chest. “I feel the same way. The only reason I defended Phillip is I understand what he went through now. It was painful and awful and I wish it could’ve lasted, but it wasn’t meant to be at all. I was meant to find a real man.”

 

The two stared at each other for a moment. Robert saw a tear run down David’s cheek, which he quickly brushed away.

 

“Shhh, honey. Let me help you.”

 

“Rob….”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Will, you go out with me? I mean… if it’s not too soon?”

 

Robert’s smile widened. “Yes! Of course, I will! It’s not too soon. I think we’ve moved on nicely. Where do you want to go?”

 

David’s mood brightened immeasurably. “Anywhere you do is great with me. It’s colder out, how about an indoor sports arena?”

 

“Like that one near city hall? They have indoor rock-climbing, a pool, and all kinds of stuff.”

 

“Sounds good to me. When did you want to go?”

 

Robert thought over his schedule. “Tomorrow night okay?”

 

“Great with me. I can’t wait!” David kissed him.

 

“I can’t either. Come on; let’s get out of the water before we shrivel up.”

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/10/2014 07:26 AM, LadyDe said:
Nice chapter. I think the boys are truly ready to start a relationship together.
Thanks! I agree :) They are good for each other.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..