Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

 

Neither David nor Robert could ever remember being this happy in a relationship. It had everything they wanted: mutual respect, true love, and shared interests. They sometimes wondered if things were going too fast because of how quickly they fell in love. Robert knew his relationship with Phillip was dead as soon as it began. David knew it wouldn’t last with Andrew, not with an ex-lover still waiting for him. This was different. They had shared pain and experiences, and found they had a lot more things in common such as games, sports, and even political views. They liked to spend time together as much as possible and even cook together. They both knew they’d met the right guy this time around.

 

David worked nearly fifty hours in a week, but in his free time, he took Robert out to dinner, played video games, climbed the rock wall, and even took bike rides. Their nights were hotter than most days. They were healing each other and it showed in everything they did. David had gone from silent and brooding at work to social once again. All of his fellow nurses found him easier to deal with and talk to as he wasn’t overloaded with stress and drama anymore.

 

As for Robert, he could focus on work again and actually got promoted! His fellow workers were pleased he was through with Phillip and had moved on entirely.

 

Things weren’t perfect, however. Both Cal and David’s brother Daniel had concerns. They knew the blond better than almost anybody. They knew his propensity for lending out his heart to anyone and falling in love very quickly.

 

David spoke with his boss and his brother about his lover in order to address their concerns. It wasn’t Robert that was at issue, it was David’s habit of falling too hard and too fast. His mind was inundated with thoughts of Robert; he’d fallen deeply in love. He invited them over when Robert was working.

 

“Daniel, Cal! Come on in.” The two men walked inside and hugged their host hello.

 

“How’s it going, bro? Things still perfect in your world?”

 

“Very much. Hey, Cal.”

 

“Hiya, lad. Still in paradise, huh?”

 

“Absolutely. I’ve never been this happy in my life!”

 

Cal looked over at David. “Really? Not even with your ex-almost-husband, Connor?”

 

David shook his head. “No, not even then. I told you what his greatest talent was. This is so much better than anything else I’ve had before.”

 

Daniel scratched his head. “Look, bro, I don’t need the gory details, but what makes Robert so different?”

 

David scowled. “Why do I feel like I’m getting the third degree? I’m in love with the man!”

 

Cal rolled his eyes. “We’re not chastising you, hon. That’s not a bad thing. I like Robert a lot. But you must face facts. You fall in love very easily, David. Someone offers you a shoulder, or some other part, and you’re head-over-heels.”

 

“I am not!” David huffed even as he thought over his three relationships in detail. Connor was gorgeous, sexual, and young. They clicked immediately in bed and David fell super fast and asked the man to marry him. He ended up being left at the altar.

 

Then there was Andrew, who was already married, but on the outs with his husband. They’d a one-night-stand, but then moved in together months later. Once again, David was in deep and asked for a second time, only to have his question answered in the form of a “Dear David” note.

 

“Fine, maybe I do get a little too involved too quickly….”

 

“A little bit?” Cal interjected. “Lad, you’ve asked two different men to marry you! Can you just take it slower and easier this time? You want it to last don’t you?”

 

“Yes,” he murmured.

 

“You haven’t asked him yet, have you?”

 

“No, I haven’t asked him. Yet. Look, I want to be married! Is that such a crime?”

 

Daniel pursed his lips. “David, have you even recovered from what happened to you? I mean really recovered? You were hurt really bad twice! Most people have deep scars from something like that.”

 

David fought back tears, holding his arms tight around himself. “I’m still recovering. Robert is my therapy! We love each other and we know we’ve had pain, but we’re healing each other’s wounds.”

 

Cal furrowed his brow. “Are you sure you want the transitional marriage? Use him just for comfort until you get over Andrew? Is that even fair to Robert?”

 

David stood up in a huff and stomped to the kitchen. “It won’t be like that! Robert and I will be together forever!”

 

Cal followed. “Lad, listen to me. David?”

 

David turned and faced his friend of ten years. His eyes were reddened by streams of tears. Cal took his hands and kissed them.

 

“David, I’m your boss, and I’m your friend. I know you and care about you very much. You’ve been there for me and I hope I’ve been for you.”

 

David nodded. “You have.”

 

“Then you know I wouldn’t steer ya wrong lad. I want your mind to be stable and your heart to be mended.”

 

“Don’t you think I know that? Look, I know how this all must look. True, I’ve only known him since September, and I know that isn’t very long….”

 

“No it isn’t….”

 

“But in that time, he’s been a godsend to me! I told you all about the hot tub and what he did. I’ve never had a man cry with me while I’m in his arms. Not ever!”

Cal’s eyes misted over. “You don’t remember comforting me after Tad’s death?”

 

David gasped. It was true that they’d comforted each other, but that was different. “Cal, I do remember. Tad’s death was a great pain to you. It hurt me because it hurt my friend. What pain I felt Robert felt too. It was the same. I was angry, so was he. We went through it together.”

 

Cal nodded. “I understand, lad. I do. I just want ya to be careful. Don’t rush into anything. I want this relationship to last forever for you. I don’t want you hurt again.”

 

“He wouldn’t hurt me. He and I are meant to be together!”

 

Daniel walked over to join the two other men. “Listen, bro. You’re my baby brother and I worry about ya. I’ve always worried about ya especially when you came out. I just pictured orgies and HIV and all kinds of horrible stuff.”

 

David smirked. “I never did go for that. I’m monogamous to the core. I truly want my ideal man.”

 

“And that ideal man is Robert?” Cal asked.

 

“Yes. I believe he is.”

Daniel and Cal shared a look.

 

“Do us one favor,” Cal proposed.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Go to his parents and ask for Robert’s hand first.”

 

David smiled and laughed aloud. “Cal, I was already going to do that at Christmas! You know me too well.”

 

“Really? You need to do that with two dudes getting married?” Daniel asked.

 

David chuckled. “Well, not really. It’s a sweet, old-fashioned notion though. Rob’s dad, Mark, is very traditional and authoritarian. He likes to have things passed by him first, etc. I respect the man. I know he’d do anything for his son and would protect him at all costs.”

 

“Sounds like a good man,” Cal said.

 

“He is. I’d like very much to be a part of his family and to be considered his son-in-law.”

 

Cal clapped his hand on David’s arm. “Well, sounds like you know what you want.”

 

“I do. It’s Rob. He loves me so much, and I love him. I barely even spoke to either Connor or Andrew’s parents. This time, we’re all taking it far more carefully.”

 

“Well, good luck, lad. I know you’ll be alright this time around.” Cal reached up and hugged his friend.

 

“Thank you, Cal. I will be. You too, Daniel.”

 

“Hey, if a guy makes ya this happy, I’m all for it, bro.”

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

While reading this chapter, I kept saying to myself "How bad is that shoe gonna hurt when it drops on David's head?" Please tell me I'm wrong and David's faith in Robert is true and he'll have his happy ever after!!!! He deserves to be happy....they both do. Thanks for writing.

Link to comment
On 12/08/2014 12:11 PM, LadyDe said:
While reading this chapter, I kept saying to myself "How bad is that shoe gonna hurt when it drops on David's head?" Please tell me I'm wrong and David's faith in Robert is true and he'll have his happy ever after!!!! He deserves to be happy....they both do. Thanks for writing.
No spoilers here :) He and Robert both deserve happiness for certain. There is something coming, but not as earth-shattering as one might believe.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..