Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 8. Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

 

The following night arrived. David drove himself and Robert to the sports complex near their house. David paid for them both and they ran inside like two children on a field trip.

 

“What’d you wanna do first?” Robert asked.

 

David eyed the rock wall. “Let’s climb that.”

 

Robert felt a lump in his throat. “That? Oh shit, I think I forgot to mention I’m afraid of heights.”

 

David reached for his hand. “I’ll be with you all the time, plus they have safety harnesses. You’ll be just fine.”

 

Robert furrowed his brow in thought. He looked up at his date, who was patiently awaiting an answer. He took a deep breath. “Okay. You talked me into it. Just don’t let me fall.”

 

David side-hugged him. “Never. Come on, let’s get in line.”

 

Ten minutes later, they were geared up and ready to climb. David jumped up first, but looked back and saw that Robert hesitated.

“I-I can’t do this.”

 

The wall attendant spurred him on. “Come on, son, it’s great exercise. Your friend’s waiting for ya.”

 

Robert brushed his fingers along the webbing and buckles of his safety harness, but then his blue orbs glanced skyward at the 55-foot climb ahead of him.

 

David hopped down and walked over. “Rob? It’s alright. You can do this. Just take my hand.”

 

Robert looked into his date’s eyes. “David, I don’t know….”

 

“You can do this. You’re survived far worse. Look at all the safety equipment. You’ll be fine, just take my hand and follow me.”

 

Robert shut his eyes and forced his feet to move forward. He took David’s hand inside his and clamped on tightly. They walked back over to the wall together.

 

“Take hold of this first one,” David instructed.

 

Robert reached up and took hold of the faux rock. “Now what?” he asked nervously.

 

“Now take the other one there on your left.”

 

Robert made himself reach out and grab the other rock. “Now, pull yourself up onto the wall. Here, I’ll show you.”

 

David grabbed two holds and hoisted himself up higher. He looked down at his date. “See?”

 

Robert nodded. All the water had left his throat; he coughed just to moisten it again. “I’m tryin’.”

 

Finally, after a few more tense moments, Robert pulled himself up on a level with David.

 

“See? I knew you could do it. Just keep your eyes either on me or on the top. That’s our goal. Okay?”

 

Robert nodded. “Okay.”

 

They climbed almost in unison. David reached the top of the rock wall first. Robert was right behind him.

 

David pulled him up and they held hands and hugged in celebration. “We did it! Good job!”

 

The attendant took their picture.

 

“Now the fun part, getting down.” David observed.

Robert gleefully reached for the zip line and rode down quickly. David followed and they hugged again. “Thank you. I just conquered one of my biggest fears.”

 

“I knew you could do it. Just take my lead.”

 

“Happily. Okay, let’s get out of this garb and play some games.”

 

“You lead the way, mountain man,” David said playfully.

 

Robert smiled at him. He wanted to kiss him right there, but restrained himself.

 

They played video games until Robert’s hand began to ache. His boyfriend’s therapist side kicked in and he massaged it for him. After the arcade, they headed to a casual restaurant and ate heartily. They toasted each other with their beers. David drove them home and massaged his date’s hands thoroughly.

 

Robert thanked him with a barrage of kisses. “I had a terrific time, David.”

 

“Thank you, so did I.” The two hugged for a long time. “I think this is the best date I’ve ever been on.”

 

Robert nodded. “Me too. My ex said he’d take me out on the town. It was all a lie, we never went anywhere.”

 

David stroked Robert’s short hair. “That’s all different with me. I love to go out and have fun and show off my superhot boyfriend.”

 

Robert smiled. “Hey, I’m not the only one.” They kissed a few more times.

 

“Well, I guess we don’t have the awkward good night kiss scene, huh? What’d you feel like doing?”

 

Robert stroked his beard in thought. “How about a board game? I play a ton of them with Luke. He loves Candyland and the Ladybug game.”

 

David grinned. “Andrea had a few games we played, but those are gone now. I still have a lot left though, you choose.”

 

Robert walked over to the hall closet and scanned the variety of games stacked above their coats. He carefully considered each one and what the game entailed.

 

David waited patiently nearby. “Well? Find one you like?”

 

Robert strained his body to reach the shelf. “Sure did. Only problem is, I can’t reach it. Did you have this house built only for people 6’0” and taller?”

 

David chuckled. “Nope, just ended up that way. Which one did you choose?”

 

Robert pointed to the game of Senat, an ancient Egyptian version of backgammon. “This one.”

 

“Ah, I haven’t played that one before. Daniel got it for me for Christmas last year. I forgot I had it, to be honest.”

 

“Do you want to learn?” Robert asked.

 

“Are you a good teacher?” David asked coyly. He brushed up against Robert’s arm and they hugged.

 

“I’m a very good teacher. Especially with some things.”

 

“Mmm, can’t wait to attend that class.” They smiled and kissed a few times.

 

David traced his fingers over Robert’s beard and gently stroked his jaw line.

 

“Come; let’s play this game before it gets too late.”

 

“I agree.”

 

Robert opened up the box and David put his arm around him as they read the instructions together.

 

“Done with that page?”

 

“Yes.”

 

The page turned and the two read down the other side.

 

“Okay, so if there’s two side-by-side it’s a block where you can’t capture my piece, but if it’s three, then it’s a blockade,” Robert translated.

 

“Looks that way. Come on, let’s set it up. You want to use the throwing sticks or the die?”

 

Robert rubbed his beard. “The die. It’s modern, but easier.”

 

“Very true.”

 

The rest of the game was unearthed. A wooden box with thirty squares in a grid of ten by three, four of them with special symbols on them. There were ten game pieces, five brown urn-shaped and five cream-colored that were cone-shaped.

 

David picked one of each. “Wonder if the shapes have any significance?”

 

“I dunno. Everything meant something to them. Even the smallest symbol had some meaning. Kinda like someone opening up a car door for you.” He grinned at his friend.

 

David side-hugged him. “Always was a gentleman. Raised that way.”

 

“I wish I could’ve met your parents.”

 

“They were awesome people. I try my best to keep their values and legacy alive in me, and I know my brother does too.”

 

Robert eyed the number fifteen square. “What does that symbol mean?” He flipped through the book and saw the list. “Ah! If someone is not on a safe square, they get bumped back to this spot. If that’s taken, it’s back to square one.”

 

David sighed. “We both know what that’s like.”

 

“Far too well.”

 

They set up the pieces and began to play. Robert captured David’s first two pieces.

 

“Competitive, aren’t you?” he joked.

 

“When you’re a twin, everything’s a competition. Serena’s a sweetie, but man she’ll rip your eyes out to get her own way.”

 

“You won’t rip my eyes out, will you?” David asked jokingly.

 

Robert stroked his face. “I wouldn’t touch those gorgeous eyes!”

 

“Yours are pretty too.”

 

They moved in and shared a sweet kiss. Robert laid his head on David’s chest afterward.

 

“Sleepy,” he mumbled.

 

“Still want to play? Or hit the sack?”

 

Robert smoothed his hand over David’s shirt. “I want to stay up and hang out with you, that’s what I want to do. I’m not ready for bed just yet.”

 

“Good.”

They kissed again and continued their game. After a few more rounds of play, Robert won.

 

“Finally! I won something again. Well, I already won the best thing ever.”

 

David looked over at him and cupped his chin. “What’s that?”

 

“Your friendship and just you in general. You’re the best therapy I could’ve imagined.”

 

“Same here.”

 

They hugged warmly for a long moment. David sniffed Robert’s fragrant hair and rubbed his back. Robert moaned.

 

“That felt good. I bet you give great massages.”

 

“I do indeed. I’ll have to give you a very full one soon.”

 

They kissed. “I look forward to that. Right now, bedtime.”

 

David picked up the game and packed it away quickly. He took Robert’s hand and they walked down the hallway together.

 

“Thank you for today. I don’t know if I’d make it up that rock wall without your encouragement.”

 

David traced his finger along Robert’s collarbone. “You can do it, you can do anything. You’re a strong man, like a rock.”

 

“More like a rockhead, I’m so stubborn!”

 

They both laughed.

 

“You’re a wonderful man and I’m blessed to have met you.”

 

Robert kissed him. “I am too. It was a keen plan, almost breaking my hand at that gym.”

 

David ruffled his hair. “Goofball. Be careful with that stuff!”

 

“I am I am. You helped. You’ve helped a lot.”

 

“Anytime.”

 

They kissed one last time.

 

“Good night, David.”

 

“Night, Rob. Sweet dreams.”

“You too.”

 

They turned away and watched each other shut the doors to their respective bedrooms.

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..