Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 5. Chapter 5

Chapter Five

 

Two weeks later, David was at work and a fellow worker urged him to turn on the TV. He did so and he caught a story of an assault victim in Phillip’s neighborhood, quite unusual for that part of town. It was one of the safest cities in the county. The victim’s name was Andrew!

 

David pushed himself from his chair and grabbed his keys.

 

Oh my God… what the hell happened? I have to go to him; I have to see him… No, no, calm down. He’s got his precious Phillip now. He left me, why would he want to see me? My And… he’s not my Andy anymore. David could barely tear his eyes away from the TV, especially when they showed the victim’s very handsome face. My Andrew, my ex-lover, dammit! I have to go see him. I have to. No, no, I won’t. Cool it. He has Phillip. He’ll be released soon, just cool it.

 

The phone rang and David picked it up without looking. “Hello?”

 

“It’s Rob.” His voice shook like a leaf. “Are you watching the news?”

 

“Yeah, about Andrew’s assault? What the hell’s going on over there?”

 

“I think they said it was a random incident. Had to be. Nothing ever happens in that neighborhood. David….”

 

“I have to see him Rob….” His voice cracked for a moment.

 

Rob noticed right away. “Shhh, he’ll be alright. He’s got that whole family to look after him.”

 

David shook his head. “This is all my fault. If he’d stayed with me….”

 

“How the hell is this your fault?” Robert asked quietly. “How can you stop a random act of violence? For all you know little Andrea could’ve been there too and she’d be kidnapped or worse! He’ll be okay. David?”

 

“I’m here,” he whispered.

 

“Come on home. We’ll talk about this over dinner. Alright?”

 

David nodded. “Okay. I’ll be there soon.”

 

 

Robert found out that Andrew was released from the hospital the next day. He knew that Phillip would watch over him like a hawk and when he couldn’t, his mother, Dani, would. He and David chatted about it that night, and made their decision.

 

Four days after the attack, the doorbell chimed at the Marniers’. Mr. Kevin Marnier, Phillip’s father, answered the door and saw David and Robert holding a large fruit basket.

 

“Robert? My goodness it’s been a long time. How are you?”

 

“Fine, sir. We came to drop this off for Andrew.”

 

Kevin looked genuinely pleased. “Oh how nice! I’ll bring it to him.”

 

Robert cleared his throat. “Well… I… also wonder if we could say hello? Just for a moment?”

 

Kevin cocked his head and hesitated. “Well, okay, but just for a while. He’s still recovering and Phillip’s a mess.”

 

“Thank you Mr. Marnier, I promise we won’t make a scene.”

 

They walked inside. Robert knocked on the bedroom door. Phillip opened it and stood toe-to-toe with David. Andrew saw who his visitors were and gasped.

 

David attempted humor. “Beware ex-fiancés bearing gifts.”

Phillip and David’s eyes met at last. “So, you’re David,” Phillip said coldly to the man who’d stolen his husband.

 

“Yes. You must be Phillip.” The two engaged in a strained stare fest while Robert walked over to the bed.

 

“Hello Andrew,” Robert said airily.

 

Andrew smiled widely. “Hey Rob, David. Good to see you! Come on in. Phillip, please? No drama today. I’m recovering.”

 

David finally wrested himself free of the glare from Phillip. He looked over at his ex-fiancé. He was just as handsome as always, even with the scratches and bandages on his face.

 

“Hi, Andrew,” David said slowly.

 

Phillip put his hand on his neck. “Wow, this is really awkward. I’m kinda surprised my Dad let you two in, given our sordid pasts.”

 

Robert tried to rescue the moment. “Well, he did. Here, we brought you a fruit basket. There’s apple cider in there. You used to drink it like crazy in college.”

 

Andrew perked up. “Awesome! I’m so craving apple cider! Thank you both, you didn’t have to.”

Robert looked up at David and smiled. “We wanted to, both of us.”

 

Phillip narrowed his eyes. “So, what’s up with you two? Doing well?”

 

“We’re very well, thanks,” Robert replied confidently. “How are you two?” he asked in turn.

 

“We’re good. I’ve been better physically,” Andrew replied.

 

David sat on the bed, and looked over the man’s wounds. “What happened?”

 

Andrew cleared his throat and smiled lightly at David. “This big burly landscaper thought he’d try to plant something in me, I didn’t let him, he didn’t like it, end of story.”

 

David squirmed a bit. “You mean he tried to rape you?”

 

Andrew looked up and saw David’s green eyes fill with water. He reached his bandaged hand up to touch his face. “Yes. He almost succeeded at it too. I got damn lucky that a neighbor saw us and ran over. He bolted after that.”

 

“Holy crap! You’re lucky. He beat you up at all? The scratches on your face look pretty bad.”

 

Andrew touched the gauze on his cheek and forehead. “Oh, these. Yeah, he uh, pushed my face down on the deck. There were a few nails sticking out, luckily they just scratched me. No splinters or anything though, I’m amazed.”

 

David nodded. “Did you get a tetanus shot, just in case?”

 

“Yeah, they gave me all kinds of stuff. Took blood, checked everything twice. I’m fine, David. All he did was embarrass me and almost shove himself inside of me. I still have nightmares about it.” Andrew paused for a moment. Those minutes of terror filled his mind and he drew his legs into his chest. “Dammit, do we have that cider open yet?”

 

Phillip walked over and kissed his husband. “It’ll be ready soon, hon. Shhh, relax. I’ll be right back.”

 

Andrew nodded and the two kissed lightly. “Hey, do you mind if David and I talk alone for a few minutes?

 

Phillip looked back at the blond and then again at his love. “Are you sure?”

 

“Philly, he and I need to clear the air. Look at how I left things. I won’t have that hanging over my head anymore.”

 

Phillip nodded and motioned for Robert to follow him. “Come on, Rob. Let’s get something ready for us to eat. We’ll be right back, baby.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Phillip and Robert left the room.

 

Andrew reached for David’s hand. “David, I am so sorry for how I left….”

 

“I know.”

 

“No, you don’t know. I felt awful! The next morning all I could think of was you and what that night must’ve been like.”

 

David glanced into Andrew’s dark brown eyes. “It was extremely hard. Broke a couple things—my heart was there already.”

 

Andrew burst into tears. “David, I’m so sorry! I couldn’t fight it anymore, time was of the essence!”

 

David leaned forward and patted Andrew’s bandaged hand. “Andrew, shhh, stop, stop.” He scooted over and held the injured man in his arms.

 

“You have every reason to hate me forever. I shouldn’t have even been with you; I should’ve spared you all of this. But no! I had my lust, and stupid desires….”

 

David shushed his ex. “Listen to me. I don’t hate you. I’ll admit that I did, boy did I. I won’t lie to you. However, there’s a bigger picture here. It brought Rob into my life and I’m happy now. He’s mending me and I him. I understand why you did it now.”

 

They pulled back from each other for a moment and Andrew took a breath. “You do?”

 

David nodded. “Yeah I do. I gotta admit when I heard you were attacked, I wanted to jump into my car and catch the guy. I guess I always wanted to protect you.”

 

Andrew smiled. “Phillip feels the same way. He feels like he let me down, especially with him being a cop. This was all a random crime. I happened to be home and the guy happened to overpower me very easily, and I became his victim! How could you prevent that?”

 

David shook his head. “You’re so lucky! How big was the guy?”

 

“About 6’3”, but about 250 lbs. Big Latino dude. Lucky for me, he was a klutz. He tripped over the rake and nearly tripped down the steps when the cops came.”

“How did he even find you?”

 

“Well, that’s the eerie part. Dani and I had hired his crew to help with landscaping. We thought they’d left for the day and Dani went off to work. Well, he came back. I was on the back deck in my usual ensemble.”

 

David grinned. “Ah, next-to-nothing.”

 

“Exactly. I think I was painting my nails or something. You’d think he would’ve gone for my new ring and left me alone. I guess he wasn’t into jewelry.”

 

“You got a new ring? Let’s see.”

 

Andrew held up his engagement ring. It was a huge, 1.5-carat showpiece. Marquise cut, sparkling diamond. On the sides were Andrew and Phillip’s birthstones.

 

David looked down. “That’s a gorgeous ring. I’m glad he can buy you things like that.”

 

Andrew pursed his lips. “The ring you bought me was beautiful too. I could tell how much you loved me.”

 

“Yeah, well, I wanted to marry you.”

A long, awkward silence fell between the two. David’s mind spun back to the night when he discovered the ring on the floor after it’d been shed from Andrew’s finger only hours before. Fresh tears spilled down both their faces and they grasped hands.

 

Andrew cleared his throat and kissed his friend’s hand. “Just so you hear it from me first, Phillip and I are getting remarried in a couple of months and we’re thinking of adopting children or having our own.”

 

David hid his anger well as he swallowed and cleared his face. “Oh, well I hope it lasts this time. I really do. Kids? Really? How does that work with two men?”

 

“His sister, Anna offered to be our surrogate, isn’t that cool? What a great sister! She’s so awesome. I hope the kid gets Phillip’s eyes.”

 

David tried to dismiss the image of the two becoming parents when he himself had wanted them to be a family. He fought hard and suppressed his true emotions. He kissed Andrew on the cheek. “I wish you every happiness.”

 

Andrew smiled. “You mean it?”

 

“Well of course I do! I hope he can be all the things you need.”

 

Another silence fell between the two. “You’re a terrific guy, David. You’re everything a man could want or need. I just happened to still be taken. I just had to realize it.”

 

“I appreciate that,” David whispered as his lip quivered a bit. “I know if things had been different, we’d still be together.”

 

Andrew nodded. “Yes, I think we might’ve been. Hey, whatever happened to the promise ring? And the bedding?”

 

David caught his breath. “The ring, I sold. The bedding I donated. Redecorated a bit with the help of IKEA. It’s all Asian now.”

 

“Asian? That’s different. I’m sure you wanted to erase every trace of my style. I doubt you can ever forgive me for what I did….”

 

“Andy, it’s okay. I don’t hate you anymore. I’ll survive. I’ve got a 175-lb support system named Robert out there. It’ll all be okay.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes. Now, let’s see what else this basket has in it. Robert packed it. I see some chocolate in there too.”

 

“Here, let’s share it. Peace?”

 

David smiled and gently kissed Andy’s hand. “Peace. Come on, I’m starved.”

 

 

Robert and Phillip chatted in the kitchen while opening the bottle of cider.

 

“How are you doing, really?” Robert inquired.

 

“I’m angry. At myself, at the landscaper, even at my mom. I guess we can’t be here 24/7.”

 

Robert grabbed Phillip’s hand and looked into his eyes. “Don’t blame yourself, it wasn’t your fault. He’s fine or he will be.”

 

“Thanks, Rob.” They exchanged a stiff hug. “So, you’re with David now?”

 

“Yeah, well, not with him like that. We’re roommates right now, but who knows.”

 

“You two get along?”

 

“Very much. We go out and have fun. My family invited him along with us to the carnival. We had a blast!”

 

Phillip sighed. “I think I promised you the same thing. I’m sorry I didn’t live up to what I offered. I really didn’t know what I was doing.”

 

Robert nodded. “I understand, now. He and I have a lot of hurt, but we’re working through it.”

 

A long silence passed between the two. Phillip looked Robert up and down and suddenly smiled. “Hey, I just happened to notice this,” he nodded at his ex, “where’s all your hair?”

 

Robert ran a hand over his short locks and laughed. “Oh, I shaved it off. I got so sick of it being in my face so I grabbed the scissors and cut it off. Mom shaped it up for me.”

 

“Well, it looks good.”

 

“Thanks, I like it. Goes well with the beard I think.”

 

“Thought there was something else.”

 

Robert scowled. “Damn, Phillip, I drastically changed my looks and you barely noticed.”

 

Phillip slammed down his cup and glared at the man. “I’m a bit preoccupied!”

Robert rolled his eyes and shook his head. “Always are when it comes to him.” He took a deep breath and let out a sigh. “Look, I don’t wanna argue. We came over here as a gesture of good faith and friendship.”

 

Phillip quickly hugged his friend. “I know, I know. Sorry. Let’s just go back to them, okay?”

 

“Fine.”

 

Phillip poured the cider into the cups, but his hand shook and he dropped one of them and spilled the contents onto the floor.

“Dammit!”

 

They both grabbed paper towels, but Robert was beat to the punch. Phillip partially wiped up the mess before he threw the towel down and burst into tears. Robert pulled him up and held him.

 

“Shhh, he’s ok….”

 

“I couldn’t help him and I’m a freakin cop! My fiancé was almost raped in his own home!”

 

“He’s okay, he’s here, safe and sound and in one piece. Shhh, sweetie….”

 

Phillip just sobbed into his friend’s shoulder. David had heard the cup spill and opened the door to see what happened. He saw Robert holding Phillip close, pursed his lips, and shut the door again. A part of him was angry at seeing the two even near each other; but the other half of him understood that Phillip was distraught and needed help from whoever was willing to offer it. He let it go and considered it a friendly hug only. Kevin came running down the hallway to the kitchen. He rubbed his son’s back.

 

“He’ll be just fine, son. You’re here now and he’ll be just fine. He needs our help to get over this horrific thing that was done to him. I know he has no shortage of love.”

 

Phillip let go of Robert and clung to his father. Robert put the cups on the tray and poured a fresh serving. Phillip let go of his father, looked over his shoulder and wiped his eyes.

 

“Oh, thanks, Rob. I could’ve….”

 

“Please, let me help with something? Okay? You get the door.”

 

Phillip nodded and smiled at the man. “Okay.”

 

Robert smiled back at him and picked up the tray and they walked back into the room.

 

Andrew smiled. “Ah, good, I’m parched! Philly? Hon, come over here.”

 

The two embraced tightly and Andrew snuck a sip of cider. Phillip sobbed again. Andrew smoothed his fiancé’s face.

 

“Shhh, baby. I’m okay, alright? I’m fine.”

 

“Not like I could’ve helped you….”

 

“It wasn’t your fault, my love, stop blaming yourself. Shhh….”

 

David and Robert looked at each other briefly. They sipped some of the cider. Robert looked over at Phillip, David noticed. He finished off his cup and tapped Robert on the arm.

 

“I think we’ll get going.”

 

Andrew clasped his hands together. “I’m so sorry guys! We’ve been awful hosts….”


David didn’t raise his head. “Relax, this wasn’t a normal visit, we’ll have another one again, I promise. Okay?”

 

Phillip nodded. “Guys, thank you both for the cider and fruit basket and just being here.”

Robert grinned. “Happy to oblige.”

 

Andrew drank down a cup of the cider and caught David’s attention. “I’m glad we had a chance to clear the air between us.”

 

“So am I, it needed to be done,” the blond replied.

 

“See you later,” Andrew chirped. He hugged David goodbye and even lightly hugged Robert as well.

 

Phillip and Robert hugged goodbye also. Robert smoothed his ex’s hair, Phillip pulled away a bit.

 

“Bye,” Robert said quietly.

 

“Bye guys, thank you again,” Phillip said.

 

“Sure thing,” David interjected. “Phillip, it really was good to meet you. I know Andrew is in good hands, just as he always was.” He stuck out his hand for Phillip to shake.

 

Phillip accepted the gesture. “David, pleasure meeting you. I’m so sorry about what happened.”

 

David cleared his throat. “Thank you. I think things are finally ironing out. Take care, alright? Both of you.”

“We will. Thanks again!” Andrew replied.

 

David and Robert walked over to their car and got in.

 

“Damn, that was awkward,” David bemoaned as he delayed in starting the car. He ran his fingers through his hair. “He was lucky though.”

 

Robert nodded. “You can say that again. Hey, are you and Andy good?”

 

David glanced over at his friend. “Uhh, yeah, we uh, we’re okay. You and Phillip okay?”

 

Robert hesitated. “Yeah, we’re alright.”

 

“Good, well. I guess I’ll get us home.” He glanced up at the sky and noticed thunderheads building. “Looks like a storm is coming. Time to vamoose.”

 

“Definitely. Let’s get outta here.”

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, emotional. That was awkward but necessary. Now David and Rob can move forward with their relationship. Good chapter. It moved the story forward.

Link to comment
On 10/27/2014 11:31 AM, LadyDe said:
Wow, emotional. That was awkward but necessary. Now David and Rob can move forward with their relationship. Good chapter. It moved the story forward.
Thank you! Yeah, the emotions were a lil bared there; but they needed to be. Now they can move on.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..