Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Refugees - 17. Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

 

The happy couple decided to throw an engagement party. It was in early June, and luckily, a perfect evening. The temperature was seventy-five degrees, low humidity, and the citronella torches were keeping the mosquitoes at bay.

 

David and Robert had invited Andrew and Phillip, as well as Cleve and Connor, but neither couple could make it. In fact, it was a very paltry list consisting of Cal, Daniel and his wife, Robert’s parents and sister. They decided to go with a casual theme, just a basic potluck dinner.

 

Cal arrived first. He brought the dessert dish—New York style cheesecake. David answered the door.

 

“Hi! Come on in here, ya old buzzard.”

 

Cal grinned and set down the dish on the hall table. “David, I’m so happy for ya! He’s a good lad. I knew it from the start, as long as you took your time and knew what you wanted. I know you’ll be happy for a very long time.”

 

David hugged his friend close. “I know we will. Finally! Come on in. Put the cheesecake in the fridge. Want a beer?”

 

Cal snickered. “Do I still have a pulse? Serve ‘em up, lad!”

 

David laughed. The two went into the kitchen and put the cake away.

 

Cal looked around. “Where’s your other half?”

 

David rolled his eyes. “Still getting ready. He wants to look just so.”

 

Cal smirked. “Well, some guys are just like that. Me, I take a basic shower, shave down the beard a bit, I’m good.”

 

David laughed. “Down to the basics you are, my friend.” The doorbell rang again. “Ah, that must be my brother and sister-in-law.” David got up and answered the door again. It was who he’d guessed it was. “Hi, guys! Come on in!

 

Gabrielle hugged her brother-in-law. “Hi, David! Good to see you!”

 

“Good to see you too. How are the kids?”

 

“Oh, into everything! They’re at my folks’ place tonight.”

 

Daniel walked in behind her. “Free babysitters. Gotta love it.”

 

David nodded. “Very cool. Hey, bro, how’s it going?” The brothers hugged.

 

“I brought our famous cheeseburgers for your grill. Some chicken, too.”

 

David took a peek under the aluminum foil. He saw about ten cheeseburgers and three chicken breasts. They all had Gabrielle’s famous marinade on them. She was a great cook. Daniel often mused that’s partially why he married her.

 

“Damn, those smell so good! What’s in that stuff?”

 

Gabrielle shushed her brother-in-law. “Shhh! Family secret. The Hernandez clan does not give away its secrets.” She smiled and took the platter to the kitchen.

 

“Hey, bro, where’s your main squeeze?” David looked around the room.

 

“I think he’s in the bedroom. I think I’ll go check on him. You two get the grill going, I’ll be right back.”

 

“Will do.”

 

David walked back to the bedroom and knocked on the bathroom door. “Hon? Rob, you alright?”

 

“I’m fine, just kinda outta it. Come on in.”

 

David opened the door and found his fiancé sitting on the vanity top, lost in thought. His posture was slumped, and his eyes gazed at the floor. David cupped his fiancé’s chin and lifted his face up to greet his.

 

“What is it, hon?”

 

Robert tried to smile. “I was thinking about my exes. Cleve and I had something like an engagement party. He took me out to dinner and when we got back, we had cake with Phillip and Andrew back in college. It was all so forced and awkward. I hated it.”

 

David cocked his head. “This won’t be like that at all. None of those guys are here nor will they be. I think we’ve got a great setup with the cookout and our families. Your parents are due here any second, and Serena.”

 

Robert nodded. “True. I’m looking forward to that. I was thinking about you, too. The last time you tried to hold one of these parties.”

 

David fell silent and took his fiancé’s hands. “I told you, I know this is different. I told your father the same thing. Yes, it sucked really bad that I held a great party and the guy left me two days later. I knew he was faking being sick. I could tell by how Andrea hung around him. She wasn’t worried about her father at all. He didn’t even look sick. Damn, I was such a freaking idiot!”

 

Robert clenched their hands together. “No you’re not. You were just with the wrong guy at the wrong time. Hell, I bolted home that night back to my parents’ house after leaving Phillip. That was one awful night. I know things will be different this time.”

 

“I know they will too.” The doorbell rang again. “Shall we greet your folks together?” David asked.

 

Robert hopped off the vanity top and opened the door all the way. “Let’s go.”

 

They walked out and greeted the Marshalls. They all hugged and kissed hello. They were introduced to the rest of the guests. They all waited for the meat to grill and finally sat down and ate their dinner under the stars.

 

Serena volunteered to finalize any wedding plans to be made. The duo happily accepted. Planning such an affair had turned out to be more than they could handle.

Copyright © 2015 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..