Jump to content
    Superpride
  • Author
  • 5,812 Words
  • 3,177 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sweetheart, West Virginia - 3. Chapter Three

After driving my rental car back to my place thanks to my tita, I gathered the rest of my belongings from the trunk into my bedroom. Then I took a shower, a much needed one, and then I helped Tita Jane with making the lumpia for the barbecue by taking the lumpia mixture and wrapping it in the lumpia wrappers. After they were all wrapped, she then started to cook them in oil as I placed some uncooked lumpia in the freezer that would later be given to some of my tita’s friends. It was nice being home again, cooking food with my tita, and then later helping Uncle Jack with the garden that grew a citrus fruit called calamansi that was commonly used as a condiment in the Philippines, and even drinks were made out of them. I didn’t want to just lie around the house and not do anything productive. It also helped distract me from the altercation I had with Cash, but I knew I was going to think about him again when I see him at the barbecue.

I had to admit, though, Cash looked great, way better than five years ago when he grew his hair to his shoulders and always reeked of weed whenever he came home while I was visiting Claudia. But now his hair is much shorter and combed, had stumble that was thicker than mine, and he was bigger too, much bigger in terms of muscle. He was bigger than me even though I also worked out, which reminded me that I needed to start working out again since the last few months were pretty stressful, and I didn’t have the time or energy to go to the gym and maintain my muscles. Luckily, Uncle Jack has some exercise equipment in a spare room he barely used now, and it would be good to give that place some purpose again. I bet Cash worked out religiously to obtain those muscles because most of the police officers in Sweetheart, no offense, could use some exercise themselves if they ever wanted to catch a running shoplifter without having to catch their breath.

I wished things were different between me and Cash. If certain events could’ve transpired differently, I would’ve seen myself trying to be friends with him despite the attitude he was giving me back at the grocery store. I knew he was a good person and a good cop because I hesitantly asked Tita Jane about him during the years I was gone. She told me about all the good deeds that Cash did for the townspeople like searching for an elderly woman’s missing dog that then led to the capture of a man who was stealing pets throughout the town for unconfirmed reasons, but was most likely for an illegal dog fighting ring. My tita told me that Cash was the one who did the investigation that caught the criminal despite only being an officer, and she said it was a shame that he wasn’t promoted to detective. I thought it was a shame too because if he was, he wouldn’t be stopping people like me for driving pass a red light when the streets were completely empty during the night. Joking aside, what she said about him made me want to know him even more, and it was also a shame that a friendship with Cash Monroe was an impossibility for me.

I could use some friends right now, especially since the lack of messages on my phone meant that I lost all my friends back in the city, if they were ever my friends to begin with. And I couldn’t reconnect with people from my football team who were still in town since they literally ostracized me after what happened to Claudia, also believing I was the one responsible like most of the town. Whether it was the city or my hometown of Sweetheart, it looked like I was an outcast either way. I had to choose the lesser of two evils when I was deciding whether to call my uncle and tita that I was coming home or just stay in the city. I chose the former because not only did I lose all the friendships that I built over the course of five years, I was running out of money because of the scandal involving my career as a photographer. Because of that, my car was repossessed, I was late on my monthly rent for my apartment, and I couldn’t return to what I loved and make a profit since I was vilified by the community that my chosen path in life was in. I needed to rebuild my life once again, but the only problem was that I didn’t know if I would be able to. How does a photographer rebuild his or her reputation after being accused of using photo editing software and then claimed that the pictures weren’t edited? I worked so hard to get where I was several months ago, and now to see it all faded away because of one art critic was devastating. What he said about my work were all lies, and it was all because… I didn’t want to get into. I just needed time to recollect myself, and eventually I would find a solution to my current dilemma. I had to, or I would be forever living in a town that hated me.

I really didn’t want to go to that barbecue, but I was doing it for Tita Jane, and it had been too long since I had her lumpia. She wouldn’t even let me have one before the barbecue, incentivizing me to go to that damn event. So, when it was six in the evening, all three of us drove to the church where the barbecue was happening at the back, and I had the honorary task of carrying the plate of lumpia to a long table where the rest of the dishes were place. There were also outdoor grills that were grilling hamburger patties and hotdogs and round tables that were spread throughout. A few of the tables were already filled with people enjoying the food, and farther away I saw children and teenagers having a water balloon fight. Not many people were here yet since it was still early, and I was already feeling anxious, and I didn’t know what I’ll do when more people come. I was already getting looks, and I wondered if I was going to survive.

Uncle Jack and Tita Jane seemed oblivious to the people looking at me and my turmoil as they conversed with their friends as I stood several feet back. I tried to look inconspicuous by looking down at my phone and scrolling through news articles, but of course, I forgot to charge it. So, when the screen turned black, I had no other options other going to grab some food.

Walking to the table, I grabbed a paper plate and began filling it with a few different foods, including plenty of lumpia since it was going to be gone an hour from now, my tita’s food always did. I then went to find a table when I heard someone calling my name. I turned to see Kevin Conway running to me with a genuine smile on his face as he waved at me. As he got closer, I noticed his shirt was wet; he must’ve been participating in the water balloon fight.

“Hey! Benjamin, right?” Kevin asked as he was catching his breath.

“Yeah, and you’re Kevin.”

“Yup!” Kevin said cheerfully before his face turned serious. “Um, if you don’t, can we walk and chat?”

My stomach growled as I looked at my plate filled with food, but I decided to multitask since I was curious to what Kevin wanted to say. “Sure.”

Kevin smiled brightly; he was totally different from the kid who was crying back in the store manager’s office. “I’m happy that you came to the barbecue. I just wanted to say thank you for what you did for me back at the grocery store.”

“No problem, Kevin.”

“And I would’ve thanked you sooner, but I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could,” Kevin explained.

“That’s okay, Kevin.”

“I mean, my life was literally flashing before my eyes, which sounds dramatic, but it’s true. You’re my savior, Benjamin, and I don’t know how I can repay you.”

“You don’t have to, Kevin. I understand your situation, being the pastor’s son and all,” I said as I took a bite of lumpia.

“Yeah…can I tell you a secret, Benjamin?”

I raised an eyebrow. “Um, sure…but should you really be telling me? I mean, you know who I am, right?”

“Yeah, you’re the person who was suspected of what happened to Claudia Monroe five years ago during prom night,” Kevin said casually.

“And…you’re not scared of me or anything like that?”

“Definitely not. I think you were just a scapegoat for everyone in town to use since no other suspects were able to be found. And even if you did do it, I’m all about forgiveness, which my dad preaches about often.”

“Even someone who was accused drenching his ex-fiancée in blood while she carried the severed hand of her prom date,” I said bluntly.

Kevin was quiet for a moment, and then he said, “Like I said, I don’t think you were the one who did that atrocious act, and you don’t look like the kind of person who would hurt a fly.”

I was about to say that looks could be deceiving, but I refrained myself and instead said, “Okay. So, what’s the secret?”

“Well, I’m telling you this because…quite honestly, I’m a huge fan of yours.” I began thinking about what kind of skeletons this kid had in his closet before he quickly said, “I mean your work in the city! Your photography!”

I relaxed and even chuckled. “So, you’ve following my work that involves recreating famous paintings by using real models and body paint.”

“Yes! Your recreation of the Mona Lisa is amazing! I really couldn’t tell which one was the original. Your photography skills are beyond professional. You’re like the Einstein of taking photographs.”

I smiled. “Thank you. It’s nice to have a fan even in Sweetheart.”

“Yeah…and I’m sorry for what happened to your career after what that one asshole art critic had to say; what he said are all lies, and I can’t believe everyone believed him.”

I just nodded, feeling old wounds starting to reopen. “Thank you for believing me.”

“Is that why you’re back in town if you don’t mind me asking?”

“I don’t mind… Yeah, that’s one of the reasons… So, is that you’re secret?”

“Oh, no, I just wanted to say that I really like your work, and that the secret relates to what happened to you. I mean…you must know how it feels to be an outcast, to be exiled by the people you thought cared about you, and…I just wanted to ask if it gets any better.”

I stopped walking and looked at Kevin who looking down with his hands in his pockets. “What do you mean? Are people treating you badly as well?”

“Thankfully, no…at least not yet. Benjamin…the reason I tried to steal those condoms wasn’t because I was seeing a girl…more like…a guy.”

It took a moment to register what Kevin just said to me, and then I said, “Oh, so you’re…”

Kevin looked around before saying in a whisper, “Yeah…I’m gay. I assume that city life has made you more open to different kinds of people…like gay people. And if you want to stop the conversation now, I don’t blame you.”

“No, no. You’re okay.” Clearing my throat, I then said, “So, you’re thinking of coming out, and you’re wondering if life gets better if by chance everyone ostracizes you. Correct?”

Kevin nodded. “And I know that your career kind of went downhill after what happened with that art critic, but you must be ready to make a comeback, right? I just want to know if coming out is worth it if my life will eventually get better again, regardless of who’s against me, and please tell me the honest truth.”

I really didn’t know what to say to Kevin. If life did get better, why was it taking months now to try to rebuild my reputation without success and forcing me to move back to my hometown? I really didn’t want to lie to Kevin, but if that statement was true, or if life did get better and it stay that way. And he looked at me, anticipating a response that was both truthful and positive.

So, I said, “Well…Kevin. I have to say that when I moved to the city and pursued a career in photography, it was one of the best years of my life… Then everything came crashing down once again in my life…so I’m not going to say that life gets better and it stays that way. We all are going to face hardships in our life, that’s just how the world works. What I will say without hesitation is that you should never give up, even when you’re at your lowest point, and that resilience will take you back from whatever crap you gotten yourself into. You understand?”

Kevin was looking up to the sky, like he was thinking about what I said deeply, and then he smiled and said, “Yeah. I understand. Life isn’t always a paradise, and that staying strong will allow me to overcome any obstacle.”

I nodded. “Exactly. Now, I’m not saying that you should come out now and expect life to get better after a month or so. So, before you do, make sure you know the people who really care about you, people who won’t abandon you regardless of who you are or what you’re falsely accused of doing. Those people will be your lifeline…just like my uncle and tita.”

I turned to see Tita Jane wiping some cake from Uncle Jack’s mouth before he smooshed her. This caused her to slap him on the chest playfully before laughing heartily. I smiled, knowing my uncle and tita were great people, to each other, to the townspeople, and to me. I remembered being such a menace when I first moved into their home after what parents did to me; I honestly believed that they would treat me the same way…but I was wrong, so wrong and I was so happy I was wrong. They treated me like their own son and stood by me when I felt I was going to fall after I was suspected of doing the most atrocious. If I ever returned to the city, I was going to call them as often as I could because without them, and this going to be cheesy, I wouldn’t be here today.

“Hopefully, I have people like that,” Kevin said, sounding nervous. “I love my parents, but I don’t know if they’ll do the same thing your uncle and aunt did for you.”

“You must have somebody.”

“Well…you’re not the first person I told this secret to. My sis was the first person, but it was an accident when she borrowed my laptop without asking me and saw very…explicit images of naked men…on men.” Kevin chuckled as he scratched his head. “Anyways, she told me she was going to need therapy for what just saw…and that she still loved me for who I was.”

I smiled and patted Kevin on the shoulder. “See!”

“Yeah, and Kelly, no doubt, is supporting me too.”

“Oh, who’s she?”

“Oh, Kelly is actually a he…and he’s the guy I’m seeing,” Kevin admitted. “He just finished medical school and he returned to town to work at the hospital, but you wouldn’t think he even had a degree because of all the tattoos he has covering both of his arms that he got in the city.”

“Oh…and how old is he?”

“He’s twenty-five…and don’t worry, I was already eighteen when I first met him. Well, reunited since he used to babysit me when I was younger. Kind of screwed up that we’re seeing each other now, huh?”

I chuckled. “Don’t think too deep into it. You’re both adults now.”

“Right… Well, I should be going now. Thank you for listening and giving me great advice.”

“No problem. And your secret’s safe with me.”

“Thanks!” Kevin said before running back to the water balloon fight that was still happening.

I smiled, knowing that I had at least had one more person who didn’t hate me and believed that I was innocent.

***

“The pasta is amazing, Cash!”

I smiled and thanked the owner of the hair salon who was already getting seconds of the pasta that caused me to be an hour late since I needed to get it just right for the barbecue. But it was worth seeing the people at the event scrambling to get some pasta onto their plates, and it seemed that I wasn’t going to have any leftovers to take home. I even had a married couple who asked me if I could cook an Italian dish for them since the husband invited his boss to dinner at their home next week, and they really wanted him to get that promotion. I laughed, and I gave them my number, so they could call me when they decided what particular Italian dish they wanted me to recreate. I couldn’t refuse the offer since it was just nice to help out a fellow townsperson, and cooking great food was a hobby of mine, maybe even a passion.

I had to thank my mother for bringing that excitement for cooking into my life. Until the age of ten, I would always sit on the kitchen counter and watched as my mother cooked meals that were all made from scratch and only with the best ingredients. There was no such thing as frozen meals or fast food in the Monroe household, and my mother even made me my lunch every day before school. I was teased for bringing a lunch that my mommy made, but I just laughed at them inside my head as I enjoyed the delicious meal my mother cooked for me. She cooked every meal that went into our mouths, and though I was still too young to be cooking food that involved a stove, I did help with certain tasks like cracking the eggs and separating the yoke from the rest. My mother was Italian, and she wanted me to learn how to cook Italian cuisines, so I could then pass what I learned to my children and so on. She loved her Italian heritage and wanted to anything she could to spread that love, and one way was through me.

However, my mother wouldn’t be able to see me as an adult when she died after giving birth to Claudia, leaving me motherless and my father without his wife with two children to raise by himself. My father was so busy with his job to support a ten-year-old and a newborn baby that I was tasked with raising my little sister. It was a very hard life that we led, and as time passed I became resentful of it. Eventually, when I turned eighteen, I started shirking the responsibilities I had for my sister, and then I would rent a trailer that I placed at an abandoned campground, which was rumored to be haunted. That only benefitted me since people were less likely to bother me, and I didn’t even believe in ghosts or other creatures like bigfoot. I did odd jobs for people around town who needed their car fixed or their lawn cut for money that I used for just food and occasionally some weed that a high school kid was selling. Other than that, I lived off the grid, and the only times I came home was to take advantage of the hot water and the cold beer in the refrigerator that was becoming more of staple in the house.

Claudia had to grow up so fast since our father was working longer hours and drinking away his earnings, while I abandoned all responsibility for my family and basically ran away. I would often feel guilty for abandoning her, so whenever I could, I would cook a meal for her. It was hard since the house didn’t even have some of the basic ingredients to cook like butter, but I still managed to cook a decent meal that Claudia always loved. It was the least I could do, and I didn’t want her to live off of fast food since she couldn’t cook to save her life. Other than that, she was a very responsible girl who always did well at school and took care of everything in the house. She even started to learn how to drive when she was only fourteen when I called home one night for a ride home, being too drunk and tripping on my own feet. I expected my father to show up with disappointment carved in his old face, but it was Claudia who appeared and drove me home, later taking me to the couch and leaving a bucket next to me. Claudia was a literal saint, and I only wished I could spend more time with her in better circumstances.

I returned from my thoughts when someone else complimented my dish, and then I felt a hand on my shoulder and I knew the hand belonged to Pastor Daniel. “Hello, Cash! I’m glad you could come.”

“Me too, Pastor Daniel. I’m sorry I arrived late. I just had to get the pasta right,” I explained.

“Don’t worry about it. This isn’t a church service. We’re just glad to have you here.” Pastor Daniel then turned his head and said, “Cash, do you mind if we have a chat about something that has captured my attention today?”

I nodded and followed the pastor to a more secluded area of the barbecue. “What is it, Pastor?”

“Well, Cash, being a small-town man yourself, you must know how news about what’s happening in our little paradise of Sweetheart can spread so fast.”

I just nodded again, feeling tense about what Pastor Daniel was specifically talking about. “I understand that.”

“So, you must’ve heard the news that Benjamin Bratt has returned to town.”

I was relieved to know that Pastor Daniel wasn’t talking about his son, but just hearing Benjamin’s name caused me to tense up even more. “Yes… Yes, I’ve heard he’s back and that he’s staying at his uncle and aunt’s place.”

“Yes, and you must also know that Benjamin doesn’t have the best reputation with the people of this town… However, what I always preach in my sermons and what I was believe in is to love thy neighbor. An overused quote, but very important nonetheless. And right now, this town needs to see that Benjamin is their neighbor too, and I feel he needs someone to help show this town that.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Where is this leading to Pastor Daniel?”

“Well, Cash, you out of all people should know how it feels like to be ostracized, to have rumors and wild speculations to spread about you, and to feel that no one is supporting you.” Pastor Daniel faced me and said, “But look at you now. You’ve changed so much in five years and I feel that you can instill some of that knowledge that you learned into Benjamin.”

“Pastor Daniel…”

Raising his finger, Pastor Daniel stopped me before saying, “Now let me finish. I understand that you’re still affected by what happened to your sister, Claudia, and that you and most of the town still considers Benjamin the prime suspect. However, I feel if Benjamin was truly responsible, he wouldn’t be attending these events like this barbecue right now. I believe he just wants to be absolved of the accusations, and what better way than to have Police Officer Cassius Monroe befriend him and show the town that Benjamin is not the demon people are making him out to be.”

“I understand what you’re trying to say, but I don’t think I can—”

“Just think about it, Cash. In fact, why don’t you start small and put in a good word about Benjamin to your friend, Trevor. You know he’s getting married in less than a week, and him and his wife-to-be still need a photographer to take pictures of the wedding. How about that?”

“I don’t think hiring a random person to be their photographer is a good idea.”

“Actually, I’ve been told by my son, Kevin, that Benjamin is a professional photographer when he was in the city. So, he’s the best person for the job. You just need to tell Trevor that.”

“I don’t think that’s going to be easy.”

“I know, Cash. But what stopped you from accomplishing all those good deeds you did for the people of this town? Everyone thinks so highly of you, and I’m sure this town will think the same of Benjamin with your help.”

I sighed. “And what do I get out of this?”

Laughing, Pastor Daniel said, “The Lord’s love, of course!”

Grimacing, I looked around and zeroed in on Benjamin sitting at a table and eating alone. “I’ll think about it.”

“Good enough.” Pastor Daniel patted my shoulder. “Now enjoy the barbecue!”

Pastor Daniel walked away, and I looked back at Benjamin before I started walking towards him. I didn’t know what prompted me, but before I knew it, I was standing by Benjamin’s table. He looked at me with perplexity, and I noticed for the first time how blue his eyes were. I didn’t know that I was staring until Benjamin cleared his throat, and I looked away.

“Um…hey, Benjamin,” I said, looking anywhere instead of him or his eyes.

“Hey, Cash,” Benjamin muttered.

Scratching the back of my head, I said, “So…how’s your day so far?”

“My day was all right… Why are you asking?” Benjamin asked and looked at me with suspicion.

“Just wondering… Hey, do you mind if I take a seat at your table?”

“Do I really have a choice?” Benjamin took a bite his food. “Go ahead. Sit.”

I pulled out a plastic chair and sat down. I then tapped my fingers on the table, wondering what to say. “So…I heard you’re a photographer.”

“Yeah, I was a photographer,” Benjamin replied as he scratched his fork on his plate.

“Oh. What happened?”

Benjamin sighed and slouched in his chair. “It’s…complicated.”

“I’m sorry to hear that…but I’m sure you still have the skills to take pictures of…. let’s say, a wedding perhaps.”

Benjamin dropped his fork and looked at me with a raised eyebrow. “What are you trying to ask, Cash?”

I sighed and said, “Okay, I’ll go straight to the point. My friend Trevor Nolan is going to marry his fiancée in less than a week, and they need a photographer to take pictures of the wedding. Since you’re a photograph, I think you’re the best person for the job.”

“Trevor Nolan…as in the brother of Travis Nolan. No way!” Benjamin crossed his arms. “If anyone could hate me more than you, the person would be Trevor since the only thing he has left of his brother is a hand. There’s no way he would want me even near his wedding.”

“Well, I don’t doubt that his brother’s death still affects him…but just let me tell Trevor that you’re willing to be their photographer, and if he says yes, then what’s there to lose.”

Shaking his head, Benjamin said, “Even if he says yes, I left all my equipment back in my apartment in the city. So, unless they want their pictures taken on a smartphone, they’re out of luck.”

“Don’t worry about that. I have a camera you can borrow. It’s not the best, but it’ll get the job done,” I assured Benjamin.

Benjamin looked with a stoic expression. “Why are you doing this?”

“Just trying to help my friend, Trevor. And I’m sure word will spread that you helped with the wedding of the town sheriff’s son. So is a win for both of us.”

Benjamin looked down at his food, moving the remainder with his fork, and then he said, “I’ll have to look at the camera first before I commit to anything.”

I smiled. “Great. I can drive you to my place and show you the camera.”

Benjamin chuckled. “Straight to business, huh? Not going to ask me on a date first?”

I snorted. “Maybe next time.”

A small formed on Benjamin’s face, and I could feel a fluttering feeling inside me. “How about I finish my food first, and then we can head to your place right after. Unless you want some time to eat as well.”

“No, that’s fine. I’ll just grab something quick, and you can just come to me when you’re ready.” I stood up from the chair and said, “I really appreciate this.”

“Yeah, no problem.”

I walked to the table filled with food and just grabbed a handful of chips with dip, munching on them as I waited to Benjamin to finish his own plate. Eventually, he approached me, ready to go, and I led him to my car. I saw Pastor Daniel looking at me with an approving smile before returning his attention back to his wife. I then drove us to my house, and in less than ten minutes, I drove the car onto the driveway and parked it.

Inside my house, I led Benjamin to my small study room and after pulling out my desk drawer, I took the camera out and handed it to him. “So…what do you think? Will it get the job done?”

Benjamin rotated it in his hands and chuckled. “You’re right that it’s not the best, but it’ll work. Do you have any extra lens for this camera?”

I shook my head. “No, I don’t. I actually got it from a thrift store, and none of the accessary came with it.”

“Well, if I’m going to get the best pictures, I’m going to have to purchase new lens myself.” Benjamin began looking at the pictures I taken, and I was about to stop him when he said, “These are nice pictures.”

I took a step back. “Really? They’re just pictures of the dishes I made.”

“What for?”

“Just…Just for a food blog that I hope to create some day. Nothing special.”

“That’s cool.”

I just shrugged. “It’s just an idea for now… Anyways, you said you need new lens. There’s a store in the town’s main street that might have what you’re looking for.”

“That’ll work. Do you mind if I take the camera with me now, so I can see what all the settings this thing has?”

“Sure, go ahead.”

“Thanks.” Benjamin looked at me with those sparkling blue eyes before looking away. “Well, I should be going now.”

“I’ll drive you—”

A noise caused me to pause, and after another noise that sounded like footsteps was heard, I quickly walked out of the study room. In the living room, I saw the kitchen lights were on and the front door was open. Benjamin was next to me, and I had whisper to him to stay where he was while I investigated. I carefully walked to the kitchen, and when I was inside, I saw that someone was rummaging through my refrigerator. Then that someone closed refrigerator, I relaxed to see my father.

“Dad. What are you doing here?” I asked, getting my answer when I saw that he was holding a bottle of beer.

“Just came here to visit my son,” my father said innocently before beginning to rummage through the counter drawers. “Do you know where the bottle opener is?”

“No, you came here because you ran out of booze at your own place, so you decided to come here to steal some of my beer,” I stated. “Did the money from your disability check run out again?”

Grunting, my father said, “I only came here for just one beer.”

“Yeah, and that one beer will turn into two, and then you’ll be passed out on my couch completely drunk, and I’ll have to clean whatever mess you made the next morning.” I approached my father and held out my hand. “Give me the beer, Dad.”

“I just want one beer, and then I’ll leave,” my father said pitifully.

I shook my head. “It’s never just one beer with you, Dad. Now put it back, or I’ll put it back for you. Your decision.”

My father looked at the beer in his hand for a while before placing it on the counter. “It’s a crap brand anyways.” Looking around, he then said, “So…how’s life been treating you?”

“You’re not going to get any money from me, Dad,” I stated. “Now, can you please go?”

“Fine. I understand. My own son doesn’t want to help me even after all the things I did for him.”

“Guilt tripping is not going to work this time, Dad. Now get out of here.”

My father began walking, and I followed right behind him into the living room. He then stopped and said, “Who’s he?”

I knew my father was talking about Benjamin who was sitting on the couch with my camera in his hands. “He’s just a friend, Dad. And that’s why I need you to go.”

My father scoffed. “A friend, huh? I bet he’s just one of your tricks you picked up from that gay club. You’d rather bust a nut in a stranger’s ass rather than help your old man. Or your sister who you put in that insane asylum.”

“Dad…leave now before I do something I’ll regret,” I warned through my gritting teeth.

My father grumbled as he walked out through the front door before slamming it closed. I cursed and looked back at Benjamin who looked very uncomfortable, and I couldn’t blame him. Feeling tired and overwhelmed, I collapsed on the couch and covered my eyes with my arm.

“Sorry about that,” I said.

“It’s okay. We all have family problems, don’t we?” Benjamin then cleared his throat and said, “If you don’t mind me asking…where is Claudia right now?”

I didn’t know which was worse. My father outing me to Benjamin, or that he just revealed that Claudia was in a mental institution. I was thankful, though, that my father didn’t recognize him, or it would’ve been disastrous. He had strong feelings about Benjamin, and none of them were good.

Dropping my arm, I looked at the ceiling and said, “Where do I even begin?”

Copyright © 2018 Superpride; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 7
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Better and better!  

 

I like how cash is going to try and take the pastors advice.  I wonder how the thrift camera will do for the wedding. 

 

What happened to Claudia 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I hope Ben's done some wedding photography before. It's a specialist job, not only the photographs , but also the herding people into position. And if you get it wrong, no 2nd chance. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Paqman said:

I hope Ben's done some wedding photography before. It's a specialist job, not only the photographs , but also the herding people into position. And if you get it wrong, no 2nd chance. 

That is very true!  I'm sure Benjamin recreated paintings involving multiple people in various positions, so taking pictures of a wedding shouldn't be too difficult for him.  But we'll see when the wedding happens 😃

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Starrynight22 said:

Better and better!  

 

I like how cash is going to try and take the pastors advice.  I wonder how the thrift camera will do for the wedding. 

 

What happened to Claudia 

 

Thanks for the comment!  Hopefully taking the pastor's advice is a big step forward for Cash to befriend Benjamin and help increase his reputation in the town.  Also, since Benjamin is a professional when it comes to photography, I'm sure the pictures will come out fine.  Lastly, more will be revealed about Claudia in the very next chapter.  I promise!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Wesley8890 said:

I just saw this story and now I'm hooked. Ooh I love a good mystery.

 

I'm glad this story has captured your attention 😃

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Crazyd1965 said:

Love it so far can hardly wait for the next chapter.

 

Working on the next chapter right now 😃

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I don't trust Pastor Daniel.  It sounds like he is trying to set Benjamin up for something bad and using Cash to do so.  I hope I'm wrong.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, CassieQ said:

I don't trust Pastor Daniel.  It sounds like he is trying to set Benjamin up for something bad and using Cash to do so.  I hope I'm wrong.  

 

I understand your suspicion.  Kevin, the pastor's son, seems to be a normal eighteen-year-old who's comfortable with his sexuality and not some indoctrinated nutcase, so hopefully that's a piece of evidence that Pastor Daniel is not a malevolent person.  But we'll see as the story continues.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 8/24/2018 at 8:01 AM, Superpride said:

 

I understand your suspicion.  Kevin, the pastor's son, seems to be a normal eighteen-year-old who's comfortable with his sexuality and not some indoctrinated nutcase, so hopefully that's a piece of evidence that Pastor Daniel is not a malevolent person.  But we'll see as the story continues.

I'm willing to hold judgement on the good Pastor until we know more, but if he thinks that convincing Ben to be the photographer at the wedding of a man who suspects him of killing his brother would do him good, than he is either an idiot or the most naive human being on the face of the planet.  Just my two cents, but I'm looking forward to reading more.    

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, CassieQ said:

I'm willing to hold judgement on the good Pastor until we know more, but if he thinks that convincing Ben to be the photographer at the wedding of a man who suspects him of killing his brother would do him good, than he is either an idiot or the most naive human being on the face of the planet.  Just my two cents, but I'm looking forward to reading more.    

 

 

Well, getting Ben to be the photographer of the wedding is really just one step in getting his reputation back in order.  But I understand your concerns.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Since the mental institution had already been mentioned; that is where I figured Claudia was.  So the preacher and his son but are trying to help Benjamin, that could be interesting.  This chapter flowed really well, the writing is first rate.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Since the mental institution had already been mentioned; that is where I figured Claudia was.  So the preacher and his son but are trying to help Benjamin, that could be interesting.  This chapter flowed really well, the writing is first rate.

 

Thank you again for the comment of support!  And hopefully the pastor and his son's motives are pure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

As in true in most small towns, everybody knows about the skeletons in everybody else's closet and is doing their damndest to hide their own.

I am pleased to see that Kevin acknowledges his sexuality, but with a Pastor father he is in for a pile of trouble.

I  feel there is a great deal more to the Claudia story -- a person just does not walk down the street covered in blood carrying a severed human hand without there being a back story, I know it would put me in an institution  as well!

I am sure we will read more about the relationship between Cash and Benjamin; I hope something good develops there. Cash seems like a good guy, but of course he carries internal problems, just as does everyone else. I believe he is confused about his own sexuality and not willing to accept himself and his feelings. That relationship is going to be the crux of this story... in truth, a real Sweetheart!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

As in true in most small towns, everybody knows about the skeletons in everybody else's closet and is doing their damndest to hide their own.

I am pleased to see that Kevin acknowledges his sexuality, but with a Pastor father he is in for a pile of trouble.

I  feel there is a great deal more to the Claudia story -- a person just does not walk down the street covered in blood carrying a severed human hand without there being a back story, I know it would put me in an institution  as well!

I am sure we will read more about the relationship between Cash and Benjamin; I hope something good develops there. Cash seems like a good guy, but of course he carries internal problems, just as does everyone else. I believe he is confused about his own sexuality and not willing to accept himself and his feelings. That relationship is going to be the crux of this story... in truth, a real Sweetheart!

I have to admit that I never lived in a small town like Sweetheart, always living in the suburbs instead. However, I know enough from watching media and reading other stories that small-town life isn't always the comforting life that it promises. The fact that Kevin accepts his sexuality, might mean that his father the pastor is more open-minded with his beliefs even though his son keeps it a secrets, at least for now. And yeah, no one who is drenched in blood while carrying a severed human appendage ever comes back fully sane. And Cash and Ben need resolve their differences as well as their internal problems if there ever will be a chance for them to build some kind of connection.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..