Jump to content
    Tallguyct
  • Author
  • 3,698 Words
  • 2,190 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Connecticut River Boys - 9. Togetherness

As David drove south on I-91 toward Hartford, his only thought was of Craig. There was so much he wanted to say to his new friend. How does a man tell another man that he has strong, emotional feelings for him? That evening he wanted to call Craig and just say, ‘How you doing? I had a great visit. Hope to see you soon.’ Instead, he just thought of his friend. He wanted to hug him, but guys don’t do that. Or do they?

As Craig drove the tow truck and worked in the garage, his only thought was of David: He too had the same thoughts: There was so much he wanted to say to his new friend. How does a man tell another man that he has strong, emotional feelings for him? That evening he wanted to call David at his dorm room and just say, ‘How you doing? Enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you soon.’ Instead, he just thought of his friend. He wanted to hug him, but guys don’t do that. Or do they?

During the next four weeks each constantly thought of the other. Craig had not put clean sheets on his bed after David slept in it. He wanted to touch the material that had touched his friend. He rumpled up a set of clean sheets and put them in the dirty clothes hamper so his mother would not know that he was not changing sheets.

Almost a month later David called Craig’s home. Mrs. Miller answered the phone. “Hello Charlotte. This is David, your snowbound guest of a few weeks ago. Is Craig there?”

She replied, “Oh, hi David. It is so nice to hear your voice. Have you finished Updike’s Rabbit Run? I would like to get your impressions of Harry’s struggles after he abandoned his family.”

“I’m driving through Brattleboro Friday. There is a dinner honoring my father Saturday evening that I plan to attend. I would like to stop by and say ‘Hi’.

“I hope you do more than say ‘Hi’. Please stay for dinner. I need your help with the dishes as we discuss the book. Also, there were some books on the reading list for your class that I had not read. I’ve read two of them. More for us to discuss. I’ll put Craig on the line.”

David left campus early Friday afternoon immediately after his last class. As he pulled into the gas station / auto repair garage, Craig bounded out to greet him. He had been watching for the old blue chevy all afternoon. They greeted with firm handshakes and happy smiles. When he left the Miller home at 8:00 pm, his stomach was full, mind in good spirits from the conversation with Craig and Charlotte and his heartbeat with lust for his friend. Craig had suggested they go cross-country skiing Sunday. David gladly accepted the offer.

David arrived back at the Miller house about 10:00 Sunday morning. Craig had skipped church and was ready for their adventure. Four hours with his friend in the snow-covered Vermont forests was delightful. They laughed as each drew designs in yellow as they stood shoulder to shoulder pissing, while each forced himself to not look in the direction of the other’s dick. Following the vigorous skiing, they rested in Craig’s room with the door open. Craig read laying on his bed while David sat in a chair. Following supper and conversation with Charlotte and Craig, while helping with the dishes, David departed for Hartford at 9:00. The skis that he had brought from his home in Hanover were left at Craig’s. They planned a day of skiing in two weeks.

During their ski outing two weeks later, David suggested that Craig visit him in Hartford. Plans were made for Craig to take the Vermonter Amtrak train from Brattleboro to Hartford the following Friday and return by Greyhound bus Monday morning. Since he would be sleeping on the floor of David’s dorm room, they packed a camping air mattress, set of sheets and an old blanket in David’s car to be ready for Craig’s visit.

By coincidence, David’s roommate, Jason, was going home to New York City for the weekend on the same train that Craig was arriving on. David gave his roommate a ride to the station and waited for Craig’s arrival. When his friend stepped off the train, the two greeted with hearty handshakes and smiles.

David had a full schedule planned for his friend: Friday afternoon / evening – tour of the campus, including the Trinity College Chapel (a gothic structure designed by the same firm that designed the National Cathedral in Washington, DC), the library (which totally enchanted the book lover) and the film De Sade (a German film about the life of the Marquis de Sade) at Cinestudio, Hartford’s art cinema which was (and still is) on Trinity’s campus. The highlight of Saturday was their visit to Hartford Public Library. Craig was in awe of both this and the Trinity College Library. David had the feeling his friend would have enjoyed wandering through the stacks of both for hours. They walked to every place they visited Saturday, including the historic Mark Twain House (where the author and his family lived during his most productive years, including writing The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. They concluded the day attending a performance of the Hartford Symphony at the Bushnell Center of Performing Arts. This was Craig’s first attendance at a performance of a professional symphony orchestra. Back home, he watched performances by the Boston Symphony and Pops concert on public TV. Watching and listening to Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony was a memorable treat (that was repeated frequently in future years as David and Craig became supporters and subscribers of the symphony). Sunday’s adventures included museums, walks in parks and along the bank of the Connecticut River. Back in the dorm room Craig raved about the places they had visited. What impressed him the most were the libraries.

While the boys totally enjoyed each other’s company, they kept their modesty. Neither had ever seen the other naked. There just seemed to be an unspoken agreement between them to not let the other see all of the other. When David’s roommate returned late Sunday evening, he had no problem undressing in front of David and Craig. While David likewise did not hide his body from his roommate, he did during Craig’s visit. Neither David nor the roommate flaunted their nudity, but they also did not hide it.

There being together constantly only increased David’s affection for his friend. After listening to Craig ramble on and on enthusiastically about the libraries, David asked. “Craig, have you ever considered a career as a librarian?”

From Craig’s face and body language, David thought he had asked Craig if he had considered being an astronaut. This was evidentially something he had never contemplated. “That is impossible. I just have a high school degree and the only job I know is working in an auto repair garage.”

As David looked into his friend’s eyes a plan developed. “Craig, you could move to Hartford and we would share an apartment. You could get a job, maybe in a bookstore, maybe in a factory or garage to support yourself while you took classes at Greater Hartford Community College part-time. Then you could transfer to a college like Central Connecticut State College (now University) and get a bachelor’s degree. After that you could continue your studies and receive a master’s in library science. Next year is my last year here at Trinity. I’m planning a career in finance, probably insurance or banking related. Some students live in apartments near the campus. I would move out of the dorm and we could live together. Think about it.”

With a sad look on his face Craig replied, “That sounds like a fairy tale. In real life, stuff like that does not happen. In reality, I will spend the rest of my life in Brattleboro, take over operation of the garage and marry someone like Mary Lou. That’s life.”

David was sitting on his bed and Craig on the roommate’s. David stood, walked over to his friend, took his hand and pulled him up. David then wrapped his arms around Craig. As Craig returned the hug, David softly poke into his ear, “Everything is possible. Sharing an apartment with you would make me the happiest guy in Hartford. Please, think about it.”

As they untangled from each other, the door opened and Jason returned from New York. Following brief introductions, David and Jason sat at their desks working on class projects while Craig laid on David’s bed reading. At midnight all got ready for bed. The air mattress was pulled out from under David’s bed for Craig. The boy from Brattleboro was awake long into the night. The restlessness was not caused by the uncomfortable air mattress but the dreamlike suggestion that he go back to school and pursue a career as a librarian.

As David drove Craig to the bus station prior to his first class, they both were quiet. Just as they arrived at the station, Craig thanked David for a wonderful weekend. Then, with tears in his eyes, he said, “I thought about your suggestion most of the night. With your support, maybe I can do it. Let me think it through. If you can, come up to Brattleboro next weekend and we will discuss it.” As they gazed into each other’s eyes, the two resisted leaning forward and kissing. Craig gave a quick goodbye and David stated that he hoped he could come up for a day.

On the bus ride home and as he worked at the garage in the afternoon, Craig could think of nothing except David’s proposal. Finally, he convinced himself to do it. He would tell his parents at dinner. While he was not positive it would work out, he knew that he could always come home to his previous life in Brattleboro. The reactions of his mother and father were very different than he expected. His father said, “Craig, you’re twenty-five years old. You have the right to make your own decisions. When I was your age, your mother and I had been married seven years and you were already in first grade at school. I certainly was not asking my parents for permission to do anything.”

His mother was almost in tears. “I’m so happy that you are going to college. Maybe when you were fresh out of high school, you were not ready. I know you are now.”

Later, as he helped his mother with the dishes, she confided in him, “I think your father was relieved that you are taking a different path. When you were younger, he had visualized you taking over the garage. But he realizes now that being a mechanic is not in your blood. He’s proud that you are a hard worker, good with customers and do the paperwork. But he also realizes that working on cars and trucks is not you passion. I remember the day he sort of proposed twenty-six years ago. He arrived on the afternoon train from Army basic training with a three-day pass prior to shipping out to the European battlefields of World War II. As we walked along the bank of the Connecticut River he told me his dreams: to take over his father’s gas station / garage, to marry me and to raise children. That was how he proposed. The next day we were married and nine months later you arrived. He realized all three of those wishes. Starting tomorrow, you are going to have to teach me to do that damn paperwork. Your father might be the best auto mechanic in Brattleboro, but his record keeping skills are zero.”

As soon as the dishes were done, Craig called David. They talked for an hour. Luckily, long-distance calling rates had gone down to just ten cents a minute so the call only cost about $6.00 (Adjusted for inflation, that would be about $40 today – even at ten cents a minute, long-distance calls were usually infrequent and short.)

The days between March and June 1970 were an exciting time for the boys: David completed his junior (3rd year) of college and had obtained a paid internship with an insurance company in Hartford starting June 1. He found a two room apartment (a large room with a tiny kitchen area in the corner and a small bedroom with space for two twin (single) beds and not much else) within walking distance of the college that was available June 1.

Craig’s sister, Melisa, and her boyfriend, Mike, who worked at the garage, had planned a hiking adventure in mid-July. They would travel the Long Trail from Central Vermont north to the Canadian border, about 175 miles (280 km). When Craig realized Melissa and Mike would not be able to do the hike if he moved, he suggested that he not go to Hartford until the beginning of July. Melissa and Mike rescheduled their hike for June. Craig also needed time to teach his mother the bookkeeping and record keeping for the business. However, he did want to begin his job search. With the help of his English high school teacher and town librarian, he prepared a resume and cover letter to send to Hartford area bookstores in hopes of finding employment. If he was unable to obtain a position in a bookstore, he would accept the best paying job in any field.

Craig’s Cover Letter:

You most likely assume it is strange that an auto mechanic with a high school degree would apply for a position in a bookstore. Please read on. You will discover that this small town boy is highly qualified.

Books are my passion. I read every issue of the Book Review Digest and New York Times Book Review. In the past ten years I have read a majority of the books included on the New York Times best seller lists. My volunteer work at the town library has included a range of activities from giving written recommendations to the book selection committee to cleaning and painting. Since a teenager, I have worked at the family business, a gas station / repair garage. In addition to mechanical duties, I meet with customers, sometimes calming very unhappy customers, and keep the business’s accounting records.

With my passion for and knowledge of books, ability to work with customers and record keeping abilities, I believe I am qualified to work in your establishment. References are listed below (his high school English teacher and town librarian) and my high school transcript is attached. If needed, I will have an official transcript sent directly to you. (The transcript listed A’s in all English, history, language and social science; mostly A’s and a few B’s in science, math and physical education.)

You may contact me at 860 – 000-000. Please leave a message. My apartment mate will forward your message. I will move to Hartford July 1.

Sincerely, Craig Miller

Four days after David had moved into the apartment on June 1, Craig visited for three days and two nights. While he did not own a car himself, the business owned two cars, a pickup truck and the tow truck. Craig drove the pickup truck loaded with furniture and household supplies he and David had accumulated from each of their families. Until Craig’s arrival with two twin (single) beds, David had been sleeping on an air mattress on the floor. They set up the two beds with a small table between them. There was also room for one dresser in the small bedroom. Keeping their self-imposed modesty both slept in underwear (David in boxer shorts and Craig in white, Fruit-of-the-Loom briefs). Neither was ever naked in front of the other.

Craig made a list of bookstores from the yellow pages of the Hartford phone book. The second day, he borrowed David’s car and visited ten of the stores. At each one he just did a quick walk through to determine if this was a place where he would want to work. He decided to follow-up with six of the stores.

When Craig returned to Vermont, he prepared a folder with the cover letter, resume and transcript for each of the six larger stores. The following week he would return for two days and drop off the folders and hopefully talk to a manager at each store.

A week later, at the first two stores, he was able to talk to a manager. Both took his folder while stating there were no openings anticipated. At the third store there appeared to be no manager available and the clerk begrudgingly took the folder. Craig had the feeling no one would ever look at it.

He approached the fourth store on his list, Reader’s Emporium, with youthful hope.

The store’s manager, Frank Coleman, was having a miserable day. That morning, he and his partner, Daren, had prepared a list of items to take on their vacation. They would be driving to Provincetown, Massachusetts, Friday afternoon. When Frank arrived at the store, he received a most unwelcome telephone call from his business partner in New Haven. The Hartford location was one of two owned by Masie and Jack Cunningham with Frank being a partner and co-owner of the Hartford store. The Cunninghams operated the larger New Haven store, while Frank managed the Hartford store. The plan was to have Masie manage the Hartford store while Frank was on vacation. When Frank answered the call, he received the bad news: Masie’s mother in Rochester, New York, had suffered a stroke. She already had other medical issues. Masie was departing for Rochester that morning and would be gone for at least a week. Frank would have to postpone his vacation. He called Daren, his partner of twenty-four years, to discuss delaying the trip. An hour later, Daren called back with bad news: First, it was too late to cancel their expensive hotel reservation and receive a refund; Secondly, where Daren worked, the vacation schedule had been set up at the beginning of the year. There were no openings until October. Since the hotel could not be cancelled and the vacation rescheduled that summer, Daren would go by himself. Frank’s partner was going to Provincetown, the gay vacation playground of New England, alone. Nothing could change Frank’s foul mood. Nothing until the door to the store opened and in walked a tall handsome young man with a delightful smile radiating youthful innocence.

As the man entered, he spoke to the clerk who was arranging books on a display table. Following a brief conversation, the clerk pointed in the direction of Frank. The smile, the penetrating brown eyes and the muscular body hidden under a jacket and tie helped get Frank out of his foul mood. “Hello, I’m Craig Miller. The clerk told me you are the manager. I am seeking employment at your store. This folder contains a letter, a resume and other information about me. Could I make an appointment to discuss this further?”

Frank was smitten by Craig. While he did not need any additional employees at the present, he did want to get to know this cute guy better. “I have about ten minutes of work to finish and then I would be happy to talk to you. Browse around the store until I am free.” Frank went to his office and read the material in the folder. A handsome, muscular auto mechanic who was into books, what a delicious individual. With the office door closed, he called Ms. Fairchild, the librarian who Craig had listed as a reference. She raved about the young man.

Frank called Craig into his office. “I reviewed the information you gave me. Tell me about yourself. Why are you leaving your home in Brattleboro?” Craig talked for fifteen minutes. He told about his love of books and discussed some of his recent reads. He explained that he planned to start college, attending part-time. When he mentioned that he was sharing an apartment near the Trinity campus with a friend who was a senior, Frank innocently asked. “Is the girl you are sharing the apartment from Brattleboro?”

Craig laughed. “The guy with whom I am sharing the apartment is a friend from New Hampshire.” That reply made Frank happy, as he had carnal thoughts about this young man who was not married, had not mentioned any girlfriends and was living with another guy.

While Frank did not need an additional employee, he had become infatuated with Craig. “Summer is our slow season. I could offer you a half-time position now that would very likely become full-time in the fall. The work would not be sophisticated. You would be cleaning the store, washing windows, sweeping the sidewalk, packing and unpacking books. More sweat than intellectual at the beginning. We would be using your body, later your brain.”

“I’ve done a lot of sweating working as a mechanic. To do it in a store full of books would be a lot more enjoyable than in an auto repair shop.” Frank happily visualized sweat dripping from the young man. They agreed that Craig would begin working the Monday after the Fourth of July holiday weekend.

The boys went out to dinner that evening to celebrate Craig’s new position. They walked to Timothy’s, a small local restaurant known for its interesting menu and home cooked meals. That night, they discussed their plans for the future, sitting on their beds until midnight. They had stripped to their underwear briefs (Craig) and boxers (David) and faced each other as their knees were almost touching in the tiny bedroom. It was an unusually warm evening for June in Connecticut. They agreed that their next purchase would be a window fan as the two dripped perspiration.

Craig drove back to Vermont in the morning. They would not see each other until the Fourth of July weekend when they would do a three-day canoe adventure on the upper Connecticut River.

A special thanks to my friend, pvtguy, for his thoughtful suggestions that clarify what I am attempting to say. Also, I thank him for his careful review with resulting edits that make it appear I have mastered the English language.
If you are enjoying this story, then please take the time to like, comment, and follow the story. Your feedback and comments are always welcome and help me develop the story
Copyright © 2020 Tallguyct; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..