Jump to content
    Tallguyct
  • Author
  • 3,308 Words
  • 1,385 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Connecticut River Boys - 2. Sadness

David sat next to the hospital bed of Craig holding his hand. His love, under sedation, had not given any recognition of David since being admitted to Hartford Hospital the previous day. The previous evening, Scott had provided medical assistance prior to the arrival of the ambulance. Since all would have been naked when the EMTs arrived, David put on pants and a T shirt, helped Scott dress while he attended to Craig and then pulled a pair of sweatpants on Craig. The EMTs praised Scott for his quick thinking and appropriate emergency action. David learned later that Scott had received medical training while in the US Marines.

Scott drove David to the hospital and stayed with him until midnight. David, fearful that he would not be considered family, had taken a copy of their marriage certificate to prove his relationship. A friend had recommended they have the copy should there ever be a situation where proof was necessary. David was thankful that the hospital staff treated him with the kindness and respect that would be given to a spouse. He did not need to show his proof of marriage to be considered close family.

The doctor met David in the morning and explained Craig’s situation. He had suffered an abdominal aortic aneurysm. He explained that often there were no symptoms of the weakening of an artery wall. He did not tell David that a ruptured aneurysm could lead to fatal complications.

David refused to leave his love’s side. He looked at his watch and realized it was 5:00 in the afternoon, almost twenty hours since their arrival at the hospital. While he knew he should have something to eat, he was not hungry. Knowing he needed to be strong when Craig woke, he planned to go to the hospital food hall. But, he could not force himself to leave Craig’s side to get the nourishment he needed to be there for his love. Sitting in a daze, he noticed someone approach. With his head down in despair, he first noted the expensive, probably Italian, wing tip black shoes. David almost chuckled to himself as he thought of Craig’s chiding him for being a snob concerning clothes. This was one area where he and Craig differed. Craig never considered what he wore to be essential. When they attended a special event, David would select Craig’s wardrobe.

As he raised his eyes, he was impressed by the classic fit of the pinstriped wool suit. His dazed mind was eager to have something to think about other than Craig’s serious condition. He estimated the suit cost at least $2,000. A white dress shirt and conservative necktie completed the elegance of the outfit. As David chastised himself for even giving a shit about what someone wore, considering the situation, he met the eyes of the man in the suit. The curly red hair and azure blue eyes were familiar. If this man were wearing a flannel shirt or kilt he would have recognized him immediately. Scott knelt and wrapped his arms around the trembling David.

“I came as soon as I could get away from the office. How are you doing? How is Craig?”

With tears in his eyes David replied, “They operated early this morning, about twelve hours ago. He has been unresponsive since. The doctors have told me there is nothing to do but wait. The staff here has been wonderful.”

“How are you? Have you left his side?”

“No. I just want to be with him.”

“What have you eaten today?”

“I’m not sure. I think one of the aides gave me a sandwich and bottle of ginger ale.”

“You need some nourishment. I’ll get you something from the food hall.”

Ten minutes later, Scott returned with a bag of food. It contained a meatball grinder (what a sub or hoagie is called in Connecticut), a ham and cheese sandwich, a container of salad, a yogurt, an apple pie, some cookies, a carton of milk, a can of coke and a container of coffee. David told Scott he was too upset to eat. He then, bite by bite, ate and drank everything except the sandwich.

David reached for Scott’s hand. “There is something that I want you to know. What we were doing at the time David passed out was not the cause of the damage. The doctor told me that the aneurysm was a situation just waiting to flare up. The vigor that Craig begged for was similar to our sessions every week or so. Remember the handyman, Pavel, who stopped by briefly at the party? He comes by about once a week and the three of us go at it in a fashion similar to what we were doing. At Craig’s request, he is as rough as you were, probably rougher. That is what Craig wanted. If it had not happened last night, it would have happened soon, probably when just the two of us were home. Your being there was a godsend. If I had been alone with him, I would not have known what to do.” As David said ‘thank you, my friend,’ he squeezed Scott’s hand.

“Tell me about yourself. You are a good man and I want to know you better. Also, listening to you will clean my head of the morbid thoughts I have had all day.”

Scott began, “First, my name is not Scott. It is Ross MacDonald. My friends call me Scott, while professionally I am known as Ross. I am not a male stripper or a construction worker by occupation. I am a lawyer with a specialty in mergers and acquisitions. My work requires frequent meetings with lawyers, bankers, investors, executives and other professionals. While I am most comfortable wearing an open flannel shirt, tight jeans and work boots, my position requires the semblance of success, hence the suit and tie.” As he mentioned his suit, David thought ‘not just a suit and tie, but a very expensive elegant power suit.’

“I spent the morning with a client, a large manufacturing company with corporate headquarters here in Hartford. The company has factories, warehouses and sales offices around the country as well as factories in Poland and Thailand. The firm is in the process of acquiring a similar firm based in Cleveland. Meetings with the executives of my client and representatives of the company being acquired were followed by a long lunch. While those fools drank and talked too much, I made one beer last two hours. This was followed by an afternoon going through fine print with the lawyers of the Cleveland firm. As we sit here, an associate at my firm is having dinner with this extremely boring group. I am enjoying this ham and cheese sandwich more than I would the pricey, lingering dinner and excessive alcohol. Luckily, there was no one in the group worth cruising. While I enjoy checking guys out, I would never cruise a client, no matter how much my dick begged for it. The guys at your party were interesting and you two are hot, in my opinion. None of the boys from Cleveland even gave me a twitch.”

“As far as I know, only one person at my firm knows about my performance skills. One of the senior partners attended a bachelorette party where I performed. I asked and paid the policeman to do a ‘private dance’ for her, which is a code word for a ‘fuck’. The following Monday she came to my office and told me, ‘You certainly have a big talent, and that is our secret.’ By big talent, I assume she was referring to my cock, which was caressed by some of the ladies. I left that party with about $100 stuffed in my G-string or socks when I was not wearing a G-string. I gladly accept their tips. I have a rule of two. For every dollar I collect, two dollars are donated to various charities, primarily a food bank, a shelter for battered women and a homeless shelter. After that party, my donations were double the $100, or $200.”

“I would like to hear the story of how you met Craig.”

“The short version, he was the tow truck driver that rescued me during a snow storm in 1970. The long version, I’ll tell you later.”

As David held Craig’s hand, the exhausted man fell asleep. Scott was happy to just sit quietly. The negotiations of the day had been intense and sometimes nasty. The solitude of the hospital room was the perfect antidote for his work-related stressful fatigue.

Suddenly, they were both jolted to alertness by the sound of sudden silence. The monitor that had been watching over David had been constantly beeping. When the beeping stopped, David and Scott perked up as a nurse ran into the room. She checked the connections. Other medical staff rushed into the room. Scott wrapped his arm around David. They knew - Craig was no longer with them.

An hour later, Scott drove David home. He led the exhausted man into the house and upstairs to the bedroom. While David went to the bathroom, Scott straightened the room. The bed was pulled apart as a result of both the carnal actions and activities of the Emergency Medical Service the previous evening. When David returned from the bathroom, Scott helped him remove his shoes and undress. Scott assumed that if he did not help him, David would just lie on the bed fully dressed and fall into a deep sleep. As Scott folded the clothes, David took off his underwear and got into bed nude, the way he always slept with Craig. Scott told David, “I’m going to stay the night. I assume it is OK if I sleep in the guest bedroom.” David mumbled a “Good Night,” and was asleep before Scott walked out of the room.

Scott suddenly realized he was hungry and went down to the kitchen. Left over party food in the refrigerator and a beer took care of his appetite. He then retrieved the morning newspaper, The Hartford Courant, he had seen on the front step as they entered the house. After reading the paper he went upstairs and undressed in the guest bedroom. Snooping in the linen closet he found a bath towel and new toothbrush. After stepping into the shower, his tired body felt totally relaxed as the warm water ran over him. He removed the handheld showerhead from the holder on the wall. He adjusted the spray to a pulsating mode. Holding the showerhead he aimed the pulsating jets of water toward each arm pit. Then he aimed the spray toward his nipples. As the warm water pounded against his chest, the nipples sent a message of pleasure to his dick. He aimed the pulsating jets of water at his dick as it came to attention. As the spray from the handheld showerhead pounded his dick he used his free hand to pinch a nipple. Almost immediately, the dick that had been denied a release the previous night released the pent up juices, spewing them toward the shower spray. Scott turned off the water. As the dick relaxed, cum dripped out of the hole in the skin covering the dick head. He dried himself, brushed his teeth and walked to the guest bedroom. The comfort of sliding between fresh sheets helped him relax after a day that was both professionally challenging and emotionally draining. He immediately fell into a deep sleep.

Sometime in the middle of the night, Scott woke, feeling a need to piss. He then realized he was not alone in the bed. David had crawled in with him. Since the call of nature was getting strong, he carefully maneuvered himself out of the bed without disturbing David. When he returned, David moved in closer. Scott fell asleep lying on his back with naked David spooned against him.

As sunshine filled the room, Scott woke in a strange bed with someone cuddled against him. As he processed the events of the past thirty-six hours, he considered his schedule for the day. Luckily there were no pressing items at the firm. The negotiations of the previous day were, hopefully, completed. Any minor items could be handled by phone or email. He did not disturb the soundly sleeping David as he eased out of the bed. After the morning piss, he went down to the kitchen. He brewed himself a cup of coffee, found a healthy breakfast cereal in the cabinet and a banana on the kitchen counter. He assumed The Hartford Courant morning paper would be on the front step. However, retrieving it could be problematic as he was naked. In the front closet he found an overcoat. Although it did not fit his muscular body, he was able to hold it closed as he quickly retrieved the paper. By the time he had finished the paper and called his office to clear his schedule for the day, it was 10:00. He went upstairs and dressed. David stirred. He told David he would return in an hour.

About an hour later he returned from his condo in West Hartford wearing casual clothes, chinos and a dress shirt, not his construction worker provocative outfit or power suit. David was in the kitchen wearing a robe. He looked up at Scott with tears in his eyes. Scott wrapped his arms around his friend stating, “I will stay with you today. There is nothing pressing at the office that is more important than you.”

David whispered, “Thank you. Last night was the first time in nearly forty years since Craig and I moved in together that I slept alone. I hope you did not mind my need to be next to someone.”

“No problem. It gave me great comfort that I could be there for you.” Scott almost made a funny comment about the joy of finding a naked man in his bed, but decided this was not the time for such frivolity.

Scott called and made appointments with the funeral home and Pastor Jill at West End Congregational Church. As they pulled out of the driveway headed to the funeral home, David realized he was riding in the most luxurious car he had ever been in, a Mercedes E Class with the smell of a new car.

By mid-afternoon all necessary arrangements had been made. Craig and David had decided years earlier that each would be cremated. Their ashes would eventually be combined and scattered in the Connecticut River north of Hanover, New Hampshire. The ashes would then float downstream with some settling in Hanover, David’s childhood home, some in Brattleboro, Vermont, Craig’s childhood home, also the location of their meeting and others in Hartford, Connecticut where the two had lived together most of their lives.

While there would be no calling hours at the funeral home, there would be a service celebrating Craig’s life at West End Congregational Church. Craig and David had always felt welcome in the Church as partners, and then, a married couple. They were happy that the rainbow flag frequently flew in front of the Church. Pastor Jill was a very caring minister. Craig had been a member of the search committee that had interviewed a number of candidates for the pastor’s position. Jill had been his first choice.

Two days later, Craig’s obituary appeared in The Hartford Courant.

Craig Alan Miller 1945 – 2010

Craig Alan Miller, 65, of Hartford, passed away peacefully on Monday, January 11, 2010, in the presence of his loving husband, David Carlson. In addition to David, he is survived by his parents, Millie and Charles Miller of Brattleboro, Vermont, his sister, Melissa Rivers and her husband Mike, and his two nephews Andrew and Craig. Born in Brattleboro, Vermont, he moved to Hartford in 1967. An avid reader, he took all literature related classes offered at Greater Hartford Community College. He continued his education at Central Connecticut State University and Southern Connecticut State University, where he received a MLIS (Master of Library and Information Science) degree. His love of books enhanced his career at Hartford Public Library. Craig was involved in numerous community activities including being a founding board member of Hartford Literacy League, volunteer researcher at Mark Twain House & Museum, and serving West End Congregational Church as a member of its Board of Deacons, chair of the Diversity Committee, tenor in the choir and leader of the Library Committee. A Memorial Service celebrating Craig’s life will be held Saturday, January 24 followed by a reception in the Church Hall. The family suggests donations in memory of Craig be made to the West End Congregational Outreach Fund.

Craig’s sister, Melissa, and her husband, Mike arrived from their home in Springfield, Vermont, Friday morning. Craig’s, elderly parents, now in their eighties, rode with Melissa and Mike. Their son, Andrew, arrived later having picked up his brother, Craig, called CC by friends and family. He had been named after his Uncle Craig and his father Charles. CC was a student at Amherst College in Massachusetts. Andrew’s eight months pregnant wife remained home with their three year old son, Andy. David booked rooms at the Hartford Hilton for Melissa, Mike and the parents. While he would have preferred they stay at his home, David understood the need of the elderly parents for privacy and the difficulty Craig’s mother would have using the stairs to the second floor guest room. Craig’s nephews would stay with David. The eldest, Andrew, had taken over the family auto repair garage in Brattleboro. The other nephew, CC, had dreams beyond Brattleboro. His coming out as gay when a teenager was no surprise to his parents or grandparents as they had seen similarities between his coming of age and that of his Uncle Craig.

At the reception following the memorial service, David saw CC talking with an attractive black young man. While David did not know the man’s name, he knew the family. The father, an actuary with a Hartford Insurance company, was on the Church’s Finance Committee and the mother, a middle school principal, was a Church choir soloist. Their son, who was in deep conversation with CC, had played the organ at the service, as the regular organist was not available. From the body language of the two young men, David deduced the two were talking about more than the weather or the New England Patriots (professional American football team).

Dear Reader: At the end of chapter one, JeffreyL posted the comment: I am glad you are sharing another story about older gay men.’ As a gay Octogenarian, at age 82, I have had various experiences and fantasies to share as I write about older men. As it is said ‘Been there, Done that (or at least fantasized about that)’. As you learned from the events in this chapter, David needs a period of mourning and reflection as he contemplates life without Craig. Eventually the main thrust of this story will be gay life after age sixty. But it is too soon in the story to jump into that immediately after the loss of his love. If you have any suggestions or comments concerning this story or life in general either make a chapter end comment or email me at tallguyct@hotmail.com . If you want to check me out, my silverdaddies.com profile name: tall guy or 2255167

I have three wishes for you: 1 – At age 82 you are as healthy and horny as me. 2 – You have a doctor that prescribes the blue pill (actually the generic version is white). 3 – You have a prescription plan that pays for that wonder pill.

Enjoy. During this crazy virus time, stay safe, enjoy visual porn and keep your fist busy!

A special thanks to my friend, pvtguy, for his thoughtful suggestions that clarify what I am attempting to say. Also, I thank him for his careful review with resulting edits that make it appear I have mastered the English language.
If you are enjoying this story, then please take the time to like, comment, and follow the story. Your feedback and comments are always welcome and help me develop the story.
Copyright © 2020 Tallguyct; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interesting story, about life, loves, and longevity (or sadly lack of). Then there's the tribute to finding a lasting relationship.

As for the author's note at the end... reminds me of a math joke  (told by an old comedian about Hugh Hefner)... How many times does 80 go into 25? As many times as the blue pill lasts. (drum beat).:whistle:

Stay Safe. 6 feet apart. #WearTheDamnMask * 

* til at least Groundhog Day 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..