Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 2,369 Words
  • 3,764 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Storms - 20. Loz

Content warning: mentions of sexual assault and bullying

Over the weekend, it began to occur to me that the posters had, possibly, been overkill. I had wanted to punish Daniel for what he had done, for not listening to me and spending time with Michael Storm anyway. No one thought I’d done it. I hadn’t even been suspected. Jason had been, and Alec and Aziz. Some year eleven bullies, too, but not me. It didn’t seem like something I would do. So why had I done it? Why had I done any of it?

It was easier to rationalise now. Easier to think that it hadn’t happened, that I hadn’t done any of those things. I’d given him my scarf, though, in some fit of sentimentality, and I couldn’t quite convince myself that I’d just lost it or forgotten it somewhere.

But then, some dark corner of my brain kept telling me, Why does he like Michael so much? Why can’t he just like me? Why can’t he just want me? I told that part of my brain to fuck right off.

When I arrived at school on Monday, I had almost decided not to do what I’d been doing for weeks now, after PE. I was heading towards my first lesson of the day, when, outside the classroom, I found Jason, Alec, Aziz, William, and Kareem, snickering about something on Will’s phone.

Jason waved me over the moment he saw me. ‘Hey, Loz, come look at this!’

I walked over, hands in my pockets. ‘What’s up?’

‘So, check it out,’ said Will. ‘My brother was at Michael Storm’s birthday party this weekend, and Hartman was there. I got this snapchat from his mate Patrick.’

Upon hearing that Daniel had once again been at Michael’s place, my hands balled into fists. Again! He had picked Michael over me, again. All the same, I looked at Will’s phone.

What I saw made me freeze utterly where I stood, my blood running cold.

I could make out a bathtub. Someone had been pushed face first into it, naked, brown arse filling the frame. On that arse, someone had scribbled, Daniel’s arse, £1 for a fuck. The caption read, Teaching a faggot a lesson.

Before I knew what I was doing, I had torn the phone out of Will’s hand and smashed it into the floor.

‘What the fuck?!’ Will shouted incredulously, but I wasn’t listening, and I turned on my heel, marching down the hall, while Will scrambled on the floor for his phone.

I knew who Patrick was. Patrick Bates. I knew he was in year eleven. What lesson might he be having on a Monday morning?

I didn’t have to wonder for long. I found Patrick standing outside the science lab, laughing with a few friends, including Will’s brother, Ethan. As though I were outside my body, I watched myself rush towards Patrick, grabbing him by the neckline of his sweatshirt, and punching him in the face.

One of his friends tried to pull me away, but I shoved him back with my elbow. I was strong. I was one of the strongest guys in school, much stronger than Patrick who, although just as tall as me, was much thinner, and I punched him again, in the stomach this time, knocking the wind clean out of him. When he tried to get away, I wrestled him to the ground, my fist repeatedly connecting with his face, until he was bleeding from his nose and from a split lip, and if I could, I would have punched his fucking teeth in.

But then, Ethan, Dinesh, and Neal had all grabbed hold of me and were pulling me off Patrick. I fought them, trying to wriggle out of their grasp, but there were three of them and one of me. So instead, I shouted, ‘How fucking dare you? How dare you do that to Daniel, you fucking bastard!’ I spat on him where he lay, curled up in the foetal position. ‘I will fucking murder you, you fucking—’

Before I could finish my sentence, Mr. Hassan was there. ‘What the hell is going on here?’

‘Sir, Loz just went mental on Patrick!’ said Ethan.

I kept trying to get free and elbowed Ethan hard in the ribs. He stumbled back with a yelp.

‘Stop this at once!’ Mr. Hassan shouted. Then he said, ‘Stephen! Give us a hand, please!’

Before I knew it, Mr. Griffiths was there. He had me by the arms, locking them behind my back, and I knew it was over. I hadn’t realised I was crying until that very moment, and I went slack in his grip until he let me go. I realised the knuckles of my right hand were covered in blood. I wasn’t sure if it was just Patrick’s, or if some of it was my own. I let my chin drop to my chest, and a sob wracked my body.

Mr. Hassan was kneeling next to Patrick, who groaned and coughed feebly. ‘We need to get Patrick to Miss Carter,’ he said. ‘Well, come on boys, help him up!’

Mr. Griffiths looked around at the assembled crowd of students. ‘Nothing to see here, move along!’ Then he put his hand on my shoulder. ‘What’s going on, Loz?’ His voice was quieter than I had expected, and I swallowed.

‘Show them that fucking snap, Patrick,’ I said. My voice was thick, but I felt eerily calm now, despite the tears. ‘I dare you. Show them what you fucking did!’

‘Come on, Loz,’ said Griffiths, hand still on my shoulder. ‘I’m taking you to see Mr. Hugh. Now.’

I watched as Ethan and Neal helped Patrick to his feet. ‘Yeah. Thought you’d say that.’ I released a slow breath of air. My cheeks were tearstained, but I’d stopped crying.

* * *

As it turned out, I wasn’t the only one who had seen Patrick’s snapchat, nor was I the only one who hadn’t found it funny. Minutes after I had walked into Hugh’s office, Miss Chung turned up, carrying a student’s mobile phone, and showed it to Mr. Hugh. His face turned pale.

I think that was the only reason I wasn’t outright expelled. Not that it excused my behaviour, but it did suggest that, even though I had instigated the fight, it had not been unprovoked. Instead, I was suspended from school for two weeks.

Dad came to pick me up, but first, he had a long conversation with Hugh while I sat outside with Griffiths, who didn’t have a class to teach until later, anyway.

‘Why did you do it?’ he asked, after Dad had gone inside.

I shrugged. ‘The snapchat.’

Griffiths studied my face for a long time. ‘Yes, but why, though? You’ve never seemed the type to try and deal out justice, Loz. And you’ve certainly never seemed to care much for Daniel.’

I shrugged again, and remained silent until Dad came back outside.

‘Lawrence,’ he said. ‘Let’s go.’

I stood up, almost mechanically, and silently followed him out.

He had come straight from work, so he had the pick-up truck, and we drove home, even though home was just a fifteen-minute walk. He didn’t say a word on the way. My hand hurt, and my knuckles were bruised, though the blood had been all Patrick’s.

When we got home, Dad led me into the kitchen, where we sat down at the kitchen table, opposite each other.

‘What happened?’ he asked. He didn’t really sound angry, though there was an edge to the calm in his voice.

‘Hugh told you, didn’t he?’

Dad acknowledged this with a tilt of his head. ‘He did. But I want to hear it from you, Lawrence.’

I sighed. ‘Patrick hurt someone, so I hurt him.’

‘I’ve never even heard you talk about this Daniel. Who is he? A friend?’

‘Just a classmate. But he didn’t deserve that. Patrick’s a bully, anyway. He’s done a lot of shitty things, not just to Daniel, so . . .’

‘Well,’ Dad sat back in his chair, ‘I think it’s good that you want to stand up to bullies. I really do. But I can’t condone what you did today. It was wrong, Lawrence. No matter what anyone’s done, violence is never the answer.’

‘What, you think Patrick didn’t use violence when he pushed Daniel naked face first into a bathtub and wrote “a quid per fuck” on his arse?’

I couldn’t explain to myself why I was so angry. Hadn’t I done something just as terrible when I put up the posters? Was I being a hypocrite? But once again, in the back of my head, that voice said, I did it because Daniel is mine, and no one else gets to come near him. Not Michael, and not Patrick. No one.

Dad exhaled slowly. ‘So, that’s what happened. They wouldn’t give me the details.’ He rubbed his face with his hand and heaved a heavy sigh. ‘All the same, you should have just reported it to a teacher, and not taken matters into your own hands. We don’t deal out vigilante justice. We always take these things to the authorities, be it a teacher at school, or the police.’

‘Like George and Darren never got into fights . . .’

‘Of course they did. And they were punished accordingly. Like you will be. You’re grounded, Lawrence. You’re confined to your room until further notice. And your school is setting you up with anger management counselling. I expect you to attend. Is all that understood?’

I nodded, looking down at my hands, which were shaking, folded on the table. ‘Yes.’

‘Good. Now go to your room. I have to get back to work, but don’t think that lets you off the hook. I find out that you’ve broken these rules somehow, and this will go on much longer, understand?’

‘Yes,’ I said again, and stood up, heading off towards my room. I sat on my bed, knowing clear as anything that this punishment was far less than I deserved. Not for giving Patrick a beating. I didn’t regret that one bit. But the rest of it . . . It was starting to dawn on me now, what I’d done. The posters, and the other stuff. None of it was Daniel’s fault.

I had thought I might break down again, but I just felt empty, and I lay down on my bed, focusing on my own breathing, trying to block out the world. I didn’t realise I had fallen asleep until Darren got home.

‘Hey, Loz,’ he said as he entered. ‘You okay?’

I shook my head slowly. ‘No. Got suspended from school.’

Darren frowned. ‘What for?’

‘Fighting.’

‘Well, you look fine.’

‘He didn’t even get a punch in. Gave him a real thrashing. Hand hurts, though.’ I showed him my bruised knuckles.

He sighed, sitting down at the edge of my bed. ‘Did he at least deserve it?’

I felt my expression darken, and I gritted out, ‘Every fucking punch.’

‘What did he do?’

‘Bullied this kid. Hurt him. I just lost it.’

‘Couldn’t let it stand, huh?’ He pushed my legs out of the way, and I sat up slightly. He scooted back, leaning against the wall, hands behind his head. ‘Did something similar, once. This bloke, he . . . harassed a friend of mine. Jenna. More than harassed her, he—’ He cut himself off, working his jaw. ‘Guess I had a bit of a thing for her, so I went berserk on him. He got in a few good punches too, though. It wasn’t at school, or we’d probably both have been expelled.’

My brain shouted at me, I’m not queer, I’m not queer, I’m not queer! But at that moment, I actually considered saying, ‘That’s exactly what happened to me. I’ve got a thing for that guy.’ I didn’t. I couldn’t. It wasn’t true, anyway. Daniel was—

I didn’t notice until it hit me, so I had no way of stopping it from happening, the sob that pushed forth, constricting my throat. The tears pressing at the back of my eyeballs. My body shook, and I pulled my knees up to my chest, hid my face behind them when the tears came, feeling ashamed, and childish, and angry.

Darren scooted closer, and put a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it firmly. ‘Hey. It’s okay, mate.’ I hadn’t expected that, and it was enough to make it stop, the tears and the shaking, though I pulled a few more gasping breaths. Darren petted my upper arm, almost gently, and then pulled his hand away. ‘There, you’re all right.’

I couldn’t look at him, staring instead at his t-shirt. ‘Don’t tell George. Or anyone,’ I mumbled.

‘Wouldn’t dream of it. Hey, we all lose it sometimes, okay? You think I’ve never cried?’

I scoffed. ‘You?’

Darren shrugged. ‘Well, not in a good long while, it’s true. And not in front of anyone for even longer. But feelings are tricky things sometimes. I’m sorry you’re feeling like this. Whatever happened to this kid must have really upset you, huh?’

I nodded. ‘It’s stupid, though. We’re not even friends. I’ve . . . I’ve hurt him, too, I think.’ I know I have. ‘He’s such a pathetic little shit, basically everyone bullies him.’

‘Not always rational, shit we do.’ Darren got up off my bed. ‘I need to get changed, heading to the gym again today.’

Trying for normalcy, I sniffed and said, ‘That guy still giving you the eye?’

Darren chuckled. ‘Nah. Turns out he’s actually a pretty chill bro. Spots me when I lift.’

It occurred to me that my brother wasn’t quite the person I thought he was. Not only that person, anyway. When he left, I allowed that little part of my brain to speak again. It said, I really like Daniel, and I’ve hurt him for it.

I didn’t know what to do with that thought, but I knew, somehow, it had to stop. I took my phone out of my pocket, pulled up that photo I had taken of him, and deleted it. Then I deleted his number, too. It was safer, that way.

Copyright © 2016-2019 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 5
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

It appears that I never actually made one of these for this story, but since people seem to like it, I'm making one now, in case anyone's interested in discussing it or whatever.     Summary: When fourteen-year-old Daniel and his mother are kicked out by his stepfather, they have to move to a housing estate in a different part of town, and Daniel has to change schools. He has a hard time making friends, and it only gets worse when one of his classmates takes a rather unhealthy in
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow. That's a lot to process.  Is Loz done with Daniel? 

Is Patrick? Or is Loz going to be his target? 

Will this change Patrick? 

And how will Michael fit in with all the possible change? (Vengeance, justice, retaliation?)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow, Loz made some progress, but he's still delusional.  Maybe he's starting to figure out that you can't force someone into loving you.

I'm feeling a tiny bit sympathetic towards him now that it looks like he might be redeeming himself, but that still doesn't excuse what he did.

I'm hoping that Loz can realise he blew his chances with Daniel and move on.

But really? "I don't understand why Daniel likes the guy who's nice to him instead of the guy who rapes him in the school showers?" Come on, he's smarter than that.

Michael and Daniel must be really confused by this, it doesn't fit with Loz's behaviour towards Daniel until now.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Hellsheild said:

Wow. That's a lot to process.  Is Loz done with Daniel? 

Is Patrick? Or is Loz going to be his target? 

Will this change Patrick? 

And how will Michael fit in with all the possible change? (Vengeance, justice, retaliation?)

 

All very good questions, which will be answered in due course. :) Thanks for commenting!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

Wow, Loz made some progress, but he's still delusional.  Maybe he's starting to figure out that you can't force someone into loving you.

I'm feeling a tiny bit sympathetic towards him now that it looks like he might be redeeming himself, but that still doesn't excuse what he did.

I'm hoping that Loz can realise he blew his chances with Daniel and move on.

But really? "I don't understand why Daniel likes the guy who's nice to him instead of the guy who rapes him in the school showers?" Come on, he's smarter than that.

Michael and Daniel must be really confused by this, it doesn't fit with Loz's behaviour towards Daniel until now.

 

Looking forward to the next chapter.

 

He ought to be smarter than that, but it's hard to be rational when you're repressing yourself and lying to yourself as much as he already is. There's definitely more development coming, so stay tuned. Thank for your comments!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

 

He ought to be smarter than that, but it's hard to be rational when you're repressing yourself and lying to yourself as much as he already is. There's definitely more development coming, so stay tuned. Thank for your comments!

I think it also has to do with his upbringing.  I get the sense that Loz was raised with the idea that being dominant and in control of a relationship is a desirable trait, and he doesn't understand why his advances are being rejected.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I'm delighted Loz finally used his violent behavior for something useful. And Loz being suspended for two weeks is good too, so he can't harass Daniel. Let's hope the anger management therapist is clever enough to help with the issues he has. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I'm delighted Loz finally used his violent behavior for something useful. And Loz being suspended for two weeks is good too, so he can't harass Daniel. Let's hope the anger management therapist is clever enough to help with the issues he has. 

 

The suspension will be a nice break for Daniel, that's for sure.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

I think it also has to do with his upbringing.  I get the sense that Loz was raised with the idea that being dominant and in control of a relationship is a desirable trait, and he doesn't understand why his advances are being rejected.

 

That's definitely part of it as well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

First thing I thought of was Daniel gets a reprieve. Maybe give Michael a beat to figure out how to deal with it all. 

Second, was how sad it is that Loz is so ashamed of who he might be, that he can’t find another way but anger and violence. It would not matter if Daniel served himself up to him on a silver platter, by his own admission, Loz can’t be queer.. So what then, he’d  further blame Daniel for making him so? 

The good thing is he’s admitted it to his brother.

I find it ironic that he sees Patrick as a bully, but has yet to really say that about himself. He did seem to see how horrible his actions to Danny were, but with justification. No good. I do not want him to get a free pass. Deleting info does not delete anything else, especially not for Daniel. I hope Loz will face his demons. (Not that I want bad things for him at all) 

 

Good chapter, you can tell by the way I went on.. lol. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

First thing I thought of was Daniel gets a reprieve. Maybe give Michael a beat to figure out how to deal with it all. 

Second, was how sad it is that Loz is so ashamed of who he might be, that he can’t find another way but anger and violence. It would not matter if Daniel served himself up to him on a silver platter, by his own admission, Loz can’t be queer.. So what then, he’d  further blame Daniel for making him so? 

The good thing is he’s admitted it to his brother.

I find it ironic that he sees Patrick as a bully, but has yet to really say that about himself. He did seem to see how horrible his actions to Danny were, but with justification. No good. I do not want him to get a free pass. Deleting info does not delete anything else, especially not for Daniel. I hope Loz will face his demons. (Not that I want bad things for him at all) 

 

Good chapter, you can tell by the way I went on.. lol. 

 

I love long comments, so thank you!

 

Admitting that he'd been hurting Daniel (even if he didn't admit how or why to his brother) is a big step for Loz. I think getting comfort from Darren was a big surprise for him, though. As much as Darren looked after him when he was 'sick', he's come to expect machismo from both him and George. His internalised homophobia is a direct result of this. So being allowed to cry and be comforted too is a big change for him. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

I think it also has to do with his upbringing.  I get the sense that Loz was raised with the idea that being dominant and in control of a relationship is a desirable trait, and he doesn't understand why his advances are being rejected.

Say that’s true, Loz’s convo In the car with his dad didn’t seem like dad was ok with the violence. Or would be, if he knew what Loz was capable of. He didn’t come across as the ‘take what’s yours’ dad, unless I completly missed the mark. 

Being dominant and in control isn’t always undesirable in a relationship, romantic or otherwise, either. So if Dad was trying to raise confident and self assured kids,  I’d say they missed the lesson in respect for others and knowing their limits. No means no, whatsoever your personality type. 

 

Edit to add: so then it’s safe to say, based on your answer to my comment above, that Loz totally has his own idea of what machismo should look like. He is so troubled 

 

Edited by Defiance19
  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

Say that’s true, Loz’s convo In the car with his dad didn’t seem like dad was ok with the violence. Or would be, if he knew what Loz was capable of. He didn’t come across as the ‘take what’s yours’ dad, unless I completly missed the mark. 

Being dominant and in control isn’t always undesirable in a relationship, romantic or otherwise, either. So if Dad was trying to raise confident and self assured kids,  I’d say they missed the lesson in respect for others and knowing their limits. No means no, whatsoever your personality type. 

 

 

 

Loz's dad has had a really hard time raising three sons by himself while running his own business and trying to get by financially. Instilling the right values in his kids was difficult when he hardly even saw them in some periods when work was busy. Max Wilcox is not a violent person, but if you're not around enough it's hard to check your children's behaviour when you're also trying to teach them to be 'men', in the traditional sense. Add to the mix a pinch of sexism and a dash of homophobia, and you've got a recipe for toxic masculinity.

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Thorn Wilde said:

 

Loz's dad has had a really hard time raising three sons by himself while running his own business and trying to get by financially. Instilling the right values in his kids was difficult when he hardly even saw them in some periods when work was busy. Max Wilcox is not a violent person, but if you're not around enough it's hard to check your children's behaviour when you're also trying to teach them to be 'men', in the traditional sense. Add to the mix a pinch of sexism and a dash of homophobia, and you've got a recipe for toxic masculinity.

That, I understand completely....

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Now that was good progression on the Loz front. He needs to grow up more, much, much more. But at least he has a brother he can talk to, sort of. At this point, I believe that maybe, one day, not without drama, not without pain, he might tell his father about it all. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Laura S. Fox said:

Now that was good progression on the Loz front. He needs to grow up more, much, much more. But at least he has a brother he can talk to, sort of. At this point, I believe that maybe, one day, not without drama, not without pain, he might tell his father about it all. 

Loz has a lot of personal development ahead of him, I can tell you that much. Clearly, he is not entirely irredeemable. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was a good chapter. But ppl missed it. This is exactly what narcissists do. They react very over the top and often violently. Very deflective. Loz acted out of jealousy and possessiveness towards that Snapchat. A narcissist acts that way. They’re unpredictable in that sense. Unfortunately getting help is very very difficult because they’re sooo good at making themselves appear the victim or hero, depending on which suits them. They convince themselves they’re right and their behavior is logical. Sometimes they have moments of lucidity like where Liz deleted the pic etc. is h  re a true narc? Hard to say as there are varying levels but looks it to me.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..