Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 1,804 Words
  • 5,648 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Storms - 7. Loz

I slammed the door to the bedroom I shared with my brother Darren shut and began pacing up and down between my bed and the wardrobe. I felt like I couldn’t breathe and took several large gulps of air. It didn’t help.

I hadn’t planned it. I hadn’t planned any of it. Not what had happened in the shower the day before, or what had just happened in the bathroom. Of course I hadn’t planned it. I wasn’t queer! I really wasn’t. I couldn’t be.

The previous day, I had gone back to the changing rooms to look for my scarf. When I heard the shower still going, I looked inside to see who was still there. The rest was a blur. He’d seen me looking. I was stupid. I made a mistake. But if it had been a mistake, why had I done it again?

Finally, I sat down on the bed, head in my hands. I tried to shut out the images of him, of Daniel. His slim waist and long back. Soft, brown skin and softer hazel eyes. Stupid little faggot! It was his fault, all of it. His hand had felt so good. I tried and completely failed not to imagine his lips stretched around my dick, and shivered.

I was getting hard again, but Darren could be home from college at any moment so there was nothing I could do about it. Not in here, anyway.

As if on cue, I heard the front door open. There were footsteps in the hall, and then the bedroom door opened and Darren stepped inside.

‘What’s the matter with you?’ he asked when he saw me.

I straightened up, crossing my legs, and shook my head. ‘Nothing. Long day.’

‘Fuck, me too,’ he said. ‘And it’s about to get longer. I’m heading to the gym, and I’m going out with Sandra after.’

I forced a grin. ‘How’s it going with her?’

Darren pulled off his t-shirt and rummaged in the dresser for another. ‘Smooth sailing, little bro.’ He turned to me, pulling on a fresh t-shirt. Darren was even bigger than I was, and the fabric clung to his chest and arms. He had the same dark brown hair and heavy eyebrows I had, as did our eldest brother, George. We had them from our mother. Dad, on the other hand, was ginger as they came, with so many freckles he looked perpetually tanned.

‘What about you?’ Darren asked. ‘When are you gonna find a bird who will put up with your ugly mug?’

I shrugged and looked away, not answering.

Darren pulled out his gym bag. ‘Ugh. I hope that fucker who keeps staring at me while I lift isn’t there tonight. Always looks at me like he wants to shag me or something. I swear if he even thinks of trying to talk to me I will kick his teeth in. Stinking faggot.’

I nodded quickly. ‘Yeah, that shit makes me sick.’

‘All right, Loz, I’m off.’ Darren closed his bag, bumped my fist, and left the room.

I listened to his footsteps in the hall, and the slamming of the front door, and once I was sure I was alone, I pulled out my phone, finding the photo I had snapped of Daniel. I crawled up on my bed and, looking at the photo, wanked into the sheets. When I had finished, I lay there in a rapidly cooling puddle for several minutes, trying to catch my breath.

Laughter bubbled up from nowhere, because it was that stupid, and then a sob welled forth and I pounded my fist into the mattress, biting the pillow to stop myself from screaming.

This wasn’t right. It wasn’t right that I saw Daniel in my head when I closed my eyes. It wasn’t right that I wanted it to be his hand on me. Which I didn’t. He was just . . . Convenient. Yeah, that was it. Girls, they were hard to talk to. They wanted things, made demands. Bitches and slags, the lot of them. I wasn’t queer. This was just easier, for now.

I found some solace in that thought, and slowly got off the bed, wiping the mess from my stomach and the sheets with a dirty t-shirt. By the time Dad and George got home, I was doing my homework in the kitchen as if nothing unusual had happened that day.

‘Where’s Darren?’ Dad asked as George flopped down in the chair across from me.

I finished writing out my equation before answering. ‘Out with Sandra.’

‘Good lad,’ said George.

‘How was work?’ I asked, closing my Maths workbook.

George shrugged. ‘The usual. We’ll be done with this job by the end of the week, assuming everything goes according to plan.’

‘It will,’ said Dad. He got two beers out of the fridge and handed one to George. ‘Can’t wait until we no longer have to deal with that mincy little posho and his demands.’

Dad is a carpenter who deals in small scale construction. When George failed one too many GCSEs to get into college, Dad taught him the trade, changing his firm’s name from Wilcox Construction to Wilcox & Son Construction.

Dad sat down as well, cracking open his beer can and taking a long swig. ‘If you’re done with homework, stick the lasagne in the oven, will you, Lawrence?’

I grimaced at his use of my given name. Dad is the only one who ever calls me that. I’ve had a few teachers who tried, but they were all convinced to change their ways. I can’t understand why, after giving my brothers perfectly ordinary names like George and Darren, my parents decided on Lawrence for me. Dad swears up and down that it was Mum’s idea, but if that were the case I can’t understand why he’d continue to insist on calling me that even after she fucked off.

Dad didn’t seem to notice the face I made, though, and I quietly did what I was told, turning on the oven and getting the lasagne out of the freezer, while Dad and George continued to discuss their client. From what I could gather, they were building a patio for some rich tit’s house.

‘That other bloke who keeps hanging around is obviously his gay lover,’ said George, grimacing in disgust.

Dad laughed. ‘It’s his brother-in-law, actually.’

‘Sure he is, and he’s probably takin’ it up the arse from him without his sister knowing.’

I took a cola from the fridge and sipped it slowly while I listened to them talk. If I were gay (which I wasn’t, by the way, definitely not), I’d have a hell of a time explaining it to my family. But that wasn’t a problem, because I wasn’t gay. Obviously. Not a bit. I was just a red-blooded teenager who needed to let off some steam. A hand is a hand. It’s just more fun when it’s someone else’s.

 

Daniel was not in school the following day. Not that I looked for him, of course. I couldn’t care less where he was. But he definitely wasn’t there. Julie was, though. I passed her in the corridor between lessons.

‘Where’s your boyfriend today?’ I asked her.

She gave me a look I couldn’t quite interpret. ‘For one, he’s not my boyfriend. For another, how should I know? And anyway, why do you care?’

I shrugged as nonchalantly as I could, and ignored the heat I could feel spreading across my face, hoping that she wouldn’t notice. ‘I don’t.’

‘Well, piss off, then.’ For such a dainty little thing she certainly wasn’t timid.

I wasn’t looking for him. Of course I wasn’t. But my eyes kept straying to his empty seat during the lessons we usually had together. Why wasn’t he there?

At dinner, I sat with Alec and Jason. I was barely listening to the story they were telling me, until they mentioned Daniel’s name.

‘So then what do you think happens? My bitch of a cousin only shows up, with a group of year elevens. Threatens to tell my mum, and makes us leave Hartman alone. Was hoping I’d see him today so we could finish the job, right Alec?’

A strange burst of anger filled my chest at Jason’s words. I couldn’t explain what it meant, but I knew I didn’t want anyone else to touch Daniel, whether to hurt him or otherwise. I swallowed the sensation, made my voice indifferent.

‘Wait. Why were you beating on D—Hartman, again?’

‘Weren’t you listening?’ Alec said, rolling his eyes. ‘We got an official warning from the school. Got called into Hugh’s office, said someone said we’d been bullying people. Must have been him, after we gave him a thrashing last week.’

I frowned. ‘Over the volleyball? And why did you go with, Jason?’

Jason shook his head. ‘Over going to see Griffiths after. Friend of the underdog, that guy. And I went with cause Aziz and Alec wanted backup.’

I snorted, in spite of myself. ‘Right. Backup. To beat up the smallest kid in the year. Brave of you, lads.’

They both stared at me. ‘Are you taking the piss? Fucker deserved it. We needed to make sure he wouldn’t squeal.’

‘That seems to have worked out brilliantly, didn’t it?’ I didn’t know where all this sarcasm was coming from. Jason and Alec seemed put off by it as well. I usually wasn’t especially talkative. Monosyllabic tended to describe my conversations fairly aptly. But now I kept talking. ‘And what about Aziz? How come he wasn’t with you?’

Alec shrugged. ‘Dunno. He didn’t get a warning.’

‘So, you’re telling me that Daniel Hartman went and told on you and Jason for hitting him, but left out Aziz’s involvement? That’s what you’re saying?’

They glanced at each other.

‘Does it matter?’ said Jason at last. ‘We don’t need a reason to give that little faggot a thrashing, do we? He’s a fucking weirdo.’

I shrugged one shoulder and picked up my fork. ‘Then just say that. Don’t make up excuses.’

‘Whatever,’ said Alec, and drained his juice. ‘Why do you care, anyway? He lost you those volleyball matches, same as me and Aziz.’

‘I don’t,’ I said. ‘And I don’t care about the volleyball matches, either. It’s high school PE, not the fucking Euro Cup. You wanna go beating on other kids, that’s your business. Another thing I squarely don’t give a shit about.’

I returned to my meal, and the others changed the subject. I tuned out their voices, focusing on my fish fingers and mash. It had nothing to do with me, and I had no reason to protect Daniel from them. I had said enough. Better I shut up. After all, I really didn’t care.

Copyright © 2016-2019 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 52
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

It appears that I never actually made one of these for this story, but since people seem to like it, I'm making one now, in case anyone's interested in discussing it or whatever.     Summary: When fourteen-year-old Daniel and his mother are kicked out by his stepfather, they have to move to a housing estate in a different part of town, and Daniel has to change schools. He has a hard time making friends, and it only gets worse when one of his classmates takes a rather unhealthy in
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So, is Loz going to keep on using Daniel while he tries to figure out if he's really gay or hide from it? I can't imagine that him being upset with the bullies is a good thing for Daniel either because it's not like he was any better. Daniel said no.. And what when he finds out that Daniel actually likes someone else.
I can sympathize with his fears, what with his home life but it doesn't excuse him.

 

I read this chapter and just felt badly for Daniel, even if it was about Loz.,
Think the story is great so far..

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well at first glance, Loz's family isn't entirely dysfunctional. His brothers seem to get on well with them. They obviously aren't tolerant of anything 'other' but beyond that they don't seem completely horrible yet. I will say that they are probably overly fixated on how much they hate gays, which is a great environment for the gay brother to grow up in. Either way Loz's future is pretty grim, and all his choices are just making it worse.

 

Obviously things are still going to be horrible for Daniel for the foreseeable future as well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Must be hell growing up in a house where things are going OK except for the fact that a big part of who you are will never be accepted. Loz is an ass, but he's also very frightened. Daniel gets caught in the middle, used by the confused Loz. Loz needs to listen to himself and stop hurting Daniel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh, dear. Loz protecting himself will get Daniel thrown under the bus sooner or later. Loz can't possibly avoid putting his head up once in a while, but anything else is far too dangerous. Great and illuminating chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/09/2016 12:12 AM, Parker Owens said:

Oh, dear. Loz protecting himself will get Daniel thrown under the bus sooner or later. Loz can't possibly avoid putting his head up once in a while, but anything else is far too dangerous. Great and illuminating chapter.

Thank you! Glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/08/2016 08:16 PM, Puppilull said:

Must be hell growing up in a house where things are going OK except for the fact that a big part of who you are will never be accepted. Loz is an ass, but he's also very frightened. Daniel gets caught in the middle, used by the confused Loz. Loz needs to listen to himself and stop hurting Daniel.

Indeed. Loz's situation is no excuse for what he's doing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/08/2016 02:38 PM, spikey582 said:

Well at first glance, Loz's family isn't entirely dysfunctional. His brothers seem to get on well with them. They obviously aren't tolerant of anything 'other' but beyond that they don't seem completely horrible yet. I will say that they are probably overly fixated on how much they hate gays, which is a great environment for the gay brother to grow up in. Either way Loz's future is pretty grim, and all his choices are just making it worse.

 

Obviously things are still going to be horrible for Daniel for the foreseeable future as well.

It's easy to fall into the trap of portraying a homophobic family as evil, abusive people. That's a cliche I wanted to avoid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/08/2016 01:02 PM, Defiance19 said:

So, is Loz going to keep on using Daniel while he tries to figure out if he's really gay or hide from it? I can't imagine that him being upset with the bullies is a good thing for Daniel either because it's not like he was any better. Daniel said no.. And what when he finds out that Daniel actually likes someone else.

I can sympathize with his fears, what with his home life but it doesn't excuse him.

 

I read this chapter and just felt badly for Daniel, even if it was about Loz.,

Think the story is great so far..

It was never meant as an excuse, but as an explanation. What Loz is doing to Daniel is wrong, but until he figures out for himself why it's wrong (because he's forcing him, not because Daniel is a boy), he'll live with the shame and continue doing it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm definitely glad that you didn't let Loz be just that bully who's secretly gay but chooses to take his anger on the guys he's attracted to. His family, his friends, are obviously homophobes, and that complicates things. If he ever leaves home, maybe he can become more honest to himself. Until then, he'll have a tough battle to carry on, especially against himself. But I liked that he somewhat stood up to his friends. It's little, but it's still something.

Edited by Laura S. Fox
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Laura S. Fox said:

I'm definitely glad that you didn't let Loz be just that bully who's secretly gay but chooses to take his anger on the guys he's attracted to. His family, his friends, are obviously homophobes, and that complicates things. If he ever leaves home, maybe he can become more honest to himself. Until then, he'll have a tough battle to carry on, especially against himself. But I liked that he somewhat stood up to his friends. It's little, but it's still something.

Loz is one of the most complex characters I've ever written. He started out as just an antagonist, but it quickly became obvious that he couldn't be just that. I'm glad you see that as well. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Randy Wade said:

I don't think Loz will let Daniel get hurt.

He does care about him, even though he's expressing it in a very destructive way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..