Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 3,146 Words
  • 7,499 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nemesis: Because I Want You - 12. Chapter Twelve: Infra-Red

So I came down to wish you an unhappy birthday. Someone call the ambulance. There's gonna be an accident.

CHAPTER TWELVE

Infra-Red

 

‘Close your eyes.’ A pair of arms circled Nick’s waist from behind and a lean torso pressed up against his back. Nick smiled and did as he was bid, closing his eyes and shutting out the bright midday sun gleaming down from above.

Lips brushed his earlobe lightly. ‘Happy birthday,’ whispered the voice, and Nick felt his knees go weak. ‘I have two presents for you,’ the voice continued. ‘One’s at home. I’m bringing it over to your place tonight for the whole birthday dinner thing. The other, I won’t be able to give you until the weekend. Do you want to know what it is?’

Nick licked his lips absently and nodded. His breath had grown slightly laboured and he felt suddenly light-headed. ‘What . . .’ He swallowed. ‘What is it?’

‘My parents are going out of town. So, if you want to, if you’re . . . ready . . .’ the voice paused for effect, and Nick’s heart rate increased further, ‘then I think I’m ready, too,’ it finished.

Nick opened his eyes and turned around to face his boyfriend. Dave’s eyes were bright, his cheeks slightly red in the cool air. His expression was expectant. A bit nervous, perhaps.

Dave had made it clear that he wasn’t ready to move any further sexually, and Nick had respected that. He hadn’t pushed him and the two had just enjoyed exploring new ways to get one another hot without getting naked. Some days they would rut against one another, fully clothed, getting each other off that way—they had taken to carrying spare pants in their bags. Other days, they would just make out and touch each other until they were fit to burst and then part ways with blue balls, to finish off separately, occasionally aided by texts.

Nick’s heart leapt at the thought of finally moving on from that, taking their relationship to the next level.

‘Do . . . D’you really mean that?’ he asked.

‘Of course I mean it!’ said Dave, looking slightly offended. ‘I’m no tease!’

Nick raised an eyebrow. ‘Yeah you are,’ he said pointedly.

Dave grinned. ‘Yeah, I am, but not that kind of a tease,’ he amended. ‘And I’m still all for taking it slow, but . . . I want to go further. And I have a feeling that once we do, we won’t be able to stop, so . . . No more baby steps. Giant leaps of intimacy from here on out.’

Nick bit his bottom lip and smiled up at his boyfriend. ‘I like the sound of that,’ he said. Then he pressed his lips to Dave’s. Dave’s lips parted almost immediately and the kiss deepened, until they were both breathless and flushed. Nick whimpered slightly when they broke contact, pressing his forehead to the other’s shoulder. ‘Do I really have to wait until this weekend?’ he pouted.

‘Hey, if you wanted sexy times behind the bike shed, you should have planned ahead better than to have your birthday in February,’ Dave teased. ‘But this weekend . . . we’ll do anything you want, okay?’

Nick nodded against his shoulder.

* * *

Dave showed up just after six that evening, toting a big, triangular box wrapped in brightly coloured paper under his arm, to have dinner with them. Craig wasn’t around. Zoë had seemed slightly upset with him when he had revealed that he had other plans which he wouldn’t cancel. Nick assumed the plans probably involved a rugby match down the pub with his mates. He didn’t mind in the least. He was far happier spending his birthday with the two people he cared for the most.

Zoë cooked chicken and oven roasted potatoes, and mushrooms fried with shallots and fresh rosemary, and a creamy herb sauce. Everything was delicious. Dave and Nick played footsie under the table for most of the dinner, while they talked about music and new films and other happy things. Afterwards, they moved to the sofa, where they had tea and a rich chocolate cake and where presents were waiting.

Zoë gave him a couple of new books and a gift certificate for CDs. Considering the Christmas Fender Extravaganza, this was neither surprising nor disappointing. His father had sent him a birthday card with twenty quid in it, as per usual. His mother and Aunt Karen had sent him a Doctor Who box set and a lovely card.

Dave’s gift turned out to be a purple ukulele.

‘I hear all the cool kids have one of these nowadays,’ he said when Nick opened it. ‘Thought it could be a nice addition to your growing instrument collection.’

‘Wow, that’s . . . Dave, I love it!’ Nick picked it up and, after a quick tuning, began to try out chords.

‘Christ, is there any instrument you can’t just pick up and immediately play, Davis?’ asked Dave. Nick giggled.

‘It’s really very easy when you play the guitar already. It’s like the four highest strings with a capo on the fifth fret.’

‘And in non-musician, that means . . . ?’

Nick kicked at his shin playfully. Dave laughed.

Just then, Zoë’s phone rang and she got up to take it in the kitchen.

Nick grinned at Dave, and when he was certain that Zoë was safe in the other room, he leaned over and placed a light peck on his lips. ‘Thank you,’ he whispered. ‘I think this just might be the best birthday ever!’

‘Think I could make it better?’ Dave whispered. ‘Maybe your sister would let us go to your room for a bit . . .’

The door from the kitchen opened, and Nick pulled back reluctantly, plucking at the strings of his new ukulele with slightly less enthusiasm than before. His jeans felt uncomfortably tight all of a sudden and he crossed his legs carefully.

Zoë smiled brightly at him, pocketing her phone. ‘That was Aunt Karen,’ she said. ‘She called to confirm the details of your last present.’

‘There’s another present?’ said Nick, frowning.

‘Yes, there is,’ said Zoë. ‘Tomorrow, I’m picking you up after school, and we are driving to Coventry to have dinner with Mum!’

Nick’s face split into a grin. ‘Really?’

‘Really! She’s been doing so much better since Christmas, and Aunt Karen wanted to surprise both you and her. So tomorrow is Mum-day!’

‘Okay, yeah, officially best birthday ever!’ Nick declared happily.

* * *

Nick was less than thrilled about Craig joining them to go to Coventry, but he supposed it couldn’t be helped. At least he was almost good company today, chatting cheerfully and telling jokes in the car.

They arrived in Coventry just after five in the afternoon. Aunt Karen let them in with a smile.

‘Angie’s in her bedroom, napping,’ she said. ‘Why don’t you go in and wake her up?’

Nick nodded, grinning, and made his way through the flat. Aunt Karen’s flat was quite large and very modern and spacious, with light walls and hardwood floors. The sitting room was decorated in cream, beige and lime green, and contained a dozen orchids that Aunt Karen was shamelessly proud of, while the kitchen was all white-washed birch wood, glass cupboard doors, and matte white appliances. Off the kitchen was Nick’s mother’s bedroom. He knocked and, when there was no answer, opened the door.

He would forever remember how happy he felt, knowing that he was about to see his mother, knowing that she was doing better, thinking that she might come home soon. He was wholly unprepared for the sight that met him.

The room was dark, but somehow he felt, even before he could see, that something was very wrong. He stepped inside, and a sliver of light from the doorway hit his mother where she lay on the bed.

She was in a white nighty. Her eyes were closed, and the look on her face was oddly peaceful. Her arm hung out over the edge of the bed, and there was something dripping from it, onto the floor. Something red.

Nick took a step back. He felt sick. He opened his mouth. He must have said something, or cried out, because suddenly there were footsteps behind him. A gasp. Zoë’s arms around him from behind.

Craig pushed past him into the room and knelt next to the bed, touching two fingers to Nick’s mother’s throat. ‘Dial nine-nine-nine,’ he said. ‘She’s still alive, do it!’

What followed was a blur. Afterwards, Nick remembered his own pale hands, the rushing sound of his heartbeat in his ears, the green of the paramedics’ uniforms, and a folded note on his mother’s desk. A kitchen knife on the night stand, next to a jar of sleeping pills.

And then he was sitting in a hospital waiting room, with his aunt and his sister and Craig, and the place felt eerily quiet. His mother was in another room, somewhere, receiving a blood transfusion and getting her wrists sewn back together, and all Nick could see was the colour red.

* * *

Dave’s mobile rang at around eleven that night and he fumbled to get it out of his pocket before putting it to his ear.

‘Yeah?’ he said.

‘It’s me.’ Nick’s voice sounded flat and tired.

‘Hey!’ said Dave with a smile. ‘You have fun today?’

‘I probably won’t be able to come to your place this weekend.’

‘What’s up?’ asked Dave, frowning now. ‘You sound . . . Did something happen?’

‘We’re at the hospital,’ said Nick. ‘Mum, she . . . She tried to . . . She slit her wrists with a kitchen knife.’

Dave was stunned into silence. He cleared his throat, searched for words. ‘Is . . . is she—?’

‘She’s alive,’ said Nick. ‘She was . . . I found . . .’ He trailed off and Dave understood. Nick had found her. Nick had found his mum with her wrists cut. He was filled with a sudden fury. How could she do that?

Dave cleared his throat again. He didn’t quite know what to say. ‘I’m sorry,’ he tried. It felt like an empty phrase. ‘I can’t imagine what you—’

‘Think she remembered that yesterday was my birthday?’ Nick interrupted. His voice sounded strained now. Choked. Dave felt his eyes tear up. That was a parallel to the whole misery he hadn’t even considered yet. He remained silent. ‘If she did, this pretty much takes home the BAFTA for worst birthday present ever,’ Nick continued. ‘Guess I should’ve realised that the universe wouldn’t let me be happy for this long without taking something back.’

‘Nick, don’t say that,’ said Dave quietly. ‘This . . . this has nothing to do with you!’

‘Of course it does!’ Nick snapped. ‘She felt like she had nothing to live for! She would rather be dead than be my mum!’ Dave could hear the thickness in his voice, and then Nick sniffed. ‘She’d rather be dead and still and in a hole in the ground . . . than be with her family. She even left a note.’ He uttered a choked, sobbing sort of noise, and Dave wanted to climb through the telephone and take him in his arms and hold him.

‘Nick,’ he whispered. ‘Listen . . . I don’t know what you’re going through—How could I? But please, listen to me. Whatever her reasons were, they were stupid and wrong, okay? She . . . she did it because she was depressed and psychotic. She did it because she was sick. Not because of you, not even because of the stuff that pushed her round the bend in the first place. Because something in her brain was wrong.’

Nick sniffed again but made no response.

‘Are you okay?’ asked Dave, mentally kicking himself. Of course he wasn’t okay.

‘Yeah. No, I’m not, but . . . She’ll be awake soon. They’re letting us in to see her. I should go back to the others. We’re staying with Aunt Karen for a couple of days. I’ll probably be back home on Saturday.’

‘Okay.’ Dave paused, uncertain. ‘Nick?’

‘Yeah?’

Dave’s pulse pounded in his ears as he formed the words. ‘I love you.’

Nick’s breath hitched, and he let out a sort of half sob, half giggle. ‘Piss off, Dave. If you’re just saying that because—’

‘I’m not. I’m saying it because I mean it.’ Dave’s voice broke slightly, and he cleared his throat. His palms were sweaty. He waited nervously for a response.

Nick sniffed one more time. ‘I . . . I love you too,’ he whispered. ‘Thank you. For caring about me.’

* * *

Nick didn’t want to go in. He felt like if he saw her, he’d start shouting at her. But he went inside the hospital room anyway.

The room was small and white and clinical. Nick’s mother lay in a metal frame bed with pristine white sheets. She looked smaller and paler than he’d ever seen her. Her eyes were glossy. Her wrists were both bandaged, and she was still getting a blood transfusion. She looked up when they entered, tried for a smile. No one returned it.

Her eyes fixed on Nick, and he forced himself to look back. ‘Nick,’ she said softly. ‘Come here, love.’

The simple request made Nick feel slightly sick. ‘No,’ he said stiffly. ‘I’m sorry, no. I don’t . . . I don’t want you to touch me.’

Her small smile disappeared, and she looked pleadingly at him. ‘I’m so sorry,’ she said. ‘Please—’

‘You’re sorry?’ Nick turned around in astonishment upon hearing the voice. Craig’s hands were balled into fists and his expression was dark. ‘You’re telling your kids you’re sorry? How fucking dare you! How can you do something like this to your own bloody children and then dare say you’re sorry?’

Nick felt an unexpected wave of gratitude toward the man, but Zoë took Craig’s hand gently. ‘Craig, please,’ she said. ‘Thank you, but . . . I think maybe you should go outside.’

Craig looked down at his feet and nodded, squeezing her hand. Then he left the room.

‘I think I should go too,’ said Nick, unable to look at his mother again. ‘I . . . I can’t be in here.’

Zoë nodded. ‘Okay,’ she said. ‘We’ll be out in a minute.’

Nick went back out into the waiting room and sat down next to Craig.

‘Thanks,’ he said softly. It was the last word he would ever have expected himself to say to Craig.

‘Hm,’ said Craig. He sighed. ‘I just couldn’t . . . I lost my mum, you know. When I was nine.’

Nick looked up sharply. He’d had no idea. ‘I’m sorry,’ he said.

‘Yeah. It was a car crash killed her,’ said Craig. ‘The idea that someone would . . . She has kids, for fuck’s sake!’

Nick nodded, looking down at his hands in his lap. ‘Yeah,’ he said. ‘Well . . . thanks.’

Craig gave him a sidelong glance. ‘No worries.’

* * *

Nick spent most of the Friday on Aunt Karen’s couch, going through her Bond DVDs from the beginning. He refused every offer of food, but by eleven in the evening he was starving, so he padded out into the kitchen and made himself a sandwich, resolutely refusing to look at the door to his mother’s bedroom.

She was still in the hospital, and she would be transferred directly to the psych ward when they were satisfied there was nothing more physically wrong with her.

Nick made it halfway through Live and Let Die before he fell asleep where he sat. He picked it up again when he woke up the next morning, and when he was just about to start Moonraker, Zoë announced that they were going back home.

Barely a word was spoken in the car.

When they were nearly there, a text from Dave buzzed in.

 

How are you holding up?

 

I’ve been better.

 

Nick paused his writing, hesitant. Then he added:

 

Want to see you.

 

The reply was almost instantaneous.

 

Should I come over?

 

‘Zoë?’ Nick said quietly.

‘Mm?’

‘Think . . . think Dave could come over for a bit, when we get back?’

‘Do you really think that’s appropriate?’ said Craig gruffly from the driver’s seat. Nick had to bite his tongue.

‘No, it’s okay,’ said Zoë. Her voice was very small. ‘It’s good, talking to your friends. Helps clear your head.’

Nick wrote:

 

Yes.

 

Dave got there only a couple of minutes after they did. He greeted Zoë, who hugged him, and then he and Nick retreated to the latter’s bedroom. Nick barely had time to shut the door before Dave pulled him into a fierce embrace and Nick lost all the control he had been so carefully maintaining for the last couple of days. A sob shook him violently and then he was crying, clinging to Dave.

Dave kissed his hair and murmured comforting words. Then he led Nick’s weeping self to the bed and laid him down with his head in Dave’s lap.

When Nick had managed to calm down enough to speak, he said, ‘The worst part—No, not the worst part because that’s—But the thing is . . . I’m so angry with her! I don’t understand how she could do this, what would make her feel like she needed to . . . I hate her! And . . . and I love her. And she’s my mum! It’s like, I can’t forgive her for wanting to die . . . And I can’t forgive her for still being alive.’

‘I know, love,’ said Dave and leaned forward to place a gentle kiss on Nick’s temple. They stayed still for a while. Then Dave asked carefully, ‘Did you read the note?’

Nick shook his head. ‘Not yet. I’m not sure if I can . . . I don’t want to know her excuses.’

‘Well, when and if you’re ready, let me know. I’ll be there with you when you read it.’

A surge of gratitude and love coursed through Nick, then. He rolled over onto his back and gazed up at Dave’s face. He lifted his hand to stroke his cheek and choked back a sob. Dave’s expression was kind and sad and his blue eyes glistened with tears, and Nick thought, Those are for me.

He pulled Dave down towards him and kissed him on the lips. ‘I love you,’ he said softly, and it felt so good to be able to say those words—words that had been waiting to be said for far too long.

Dave smiled a watery smile. ‘I love you, too.’

Lyrics from Infra-Red are © Placebo.
Copyright © 2013-2019 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Playlist (YouTube)     Playlist (YouTube)     Playlist (YouTube)     Alan Matt Craig           Hubris reading order: Alan - after the final chapter of Nemesis: Because I Want You. Matt - between chapters 4 and 5 of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Craig - after chapter 8 of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Alan & Matt - after the final chapter of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Patrick
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well I think the surprise went a bit flat. Nick prolly was right in one way his mum might of been thinking of his birthday, but crap what a god awful present to give a kid. Craig was a surprise guess he may not be the prick he acted like before but the jury is still in debate about it lol. Dave was definitely a stand up guy while nick was still at his aunts as well as when he got home. Just hope he really does realize the importance of those three little words he said after the fallout of the birthday is done and past. But again we will see. Great chapter sad, shocking but very warm at the end of it.

Link to comment
On 05/09/2013 10:30 AM, Daithi said:
Well I think the surprise went a bit flat. Nick prolly was right in one way his mum might of been thinking of his birthday, but crap what a god awful present to give a kid. Craig was a surprise guess he may not be the prick he acted like before but the jury is still in debate about it lol. Dave was definitely a stand up guy while nick was still at his aunts as well as when he got home. Just hope he really does realize the importance of those three little words he said after the fallout of the birthday is done and past. But again we will see. Great chapter sad, shocking but very warm at the end of it.
I do like to put my characters through hell, don't I? :P All of Craig's actions will make a lot more sense once I've finished and posted his story, I think... All I can say for now, really, is he has good days and bad days.

I was actually a little worried that I had them take too long to say I love you. I remember being very quick to the words, myself, when I was that age. Like, a couple of weeks at the most (one time, I actually promised myself I wouldn't be the first to say it and that I'd take it slow, and then ended up blurting it out anyway when he said he was falling in love with me). Nick and Dave took three whole months to make it to that point. But then, Nick is a lot more reserved and Dave a lot more rational than I was, so I guess it makes sense anyway. I don't think any 16-year-old truly understands what saying those words in a romantic setting really signifies the first time they're said, but given time and effort I think they grow into the meaning of them.

Link to comment

Not really sure what to think at this point. On a surface level the high level of writing and the ability capture interest and imagination, through suspension and character revelations is quite well done, but on the other, I am not convinced by the mother-son drama. How Nick has been treating his mum all this time, and how she him, did not move me in the slightest. Sure, it removes power from the parent and shifts it to Nick and Zoe, but this kind of device on its own has been used so many times that its emotional punch naturally suffered as a result. It would take a lot more for me to feel for either of them in the same situation.

 

 

The story line however, became linear and Nick-centric. The days when both Nick and Dave had problems were gone and since Linda had not appeared or interacted with either of them since the text after the party, the story has become progressively about Nick's problems and Dave rather ceased to have a life of his own. The only notable exception is Matt's kissing scene in a previous chapter. But one could argue then that it was only because they fell out that Dave had a life outside of Nick.

 

 

Also, I think there's a typo in the first scene: 'Rut' should be 'Rub'? ;)

Link to comment
On 05/09/2013 09:40 PM, Circle said:
Not really sure what to think at this point. On a surface level the high level of writing and the ability capture interest and imagination, through suspension and character revelations is quite well done, but on the other, I am not convinced by the mother-son drama. How Nick has been treating his mum all this time, and how she him, did not move me in the slightest. Sure, it removes power from the parent and shifts it to Nick and Zoe, but this kind of device on its own has been used so many times that its emotional punch naturally suffered as a result. It would take a lot more for me to feel for either of them in the same situation.

 

 

The story line however, became linear and Nick-centric. The days when both Nick and Dave had problems were gone and since Linda had not appeared or interacted with either of them since the text after the party, the story has become progressively about Nick's problems and Dave rather ceased to have a life of his own. The only notable exception is Matt's kissing scene in a previous chapter. But one could argue then that it was only because they fell out that Dave had a life outside of Nick.

 

 

Also, I think there's a typo in the first scene: 'Rut' should be 'Rub'? ;)

Thank you for being so honest with me. :)

 

 

This was never actually meant to happen. In early drafts of the story, Nick's mum never featured at all, she was just this character who was spoken of sometimes. In the rewrites, I began to make up a past for her, and then I decided to bring introduce her in the Christmas chapter. After her conversation with Nick, I began to realise how screwed up she actually is, and it became very clear to me what she was going to do.

 

 

At first I had her actually succeed in killing herself. On Nick's actual birthday, so less, so the phone call Zoë got was Aunt Karen telling her that Angie was dead. Then one of my readers made me realise how melodramatic and unlikely that was. So I rewrote it again and again until I ended up with this. I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the execution of it yet, but this is what needs to happen, somehow.

 

 

When my dad passed away, my brothers and I all reacted very differently. I was only 11 at the time, so naturally I didn't really know how to deal at all. The second-eldest of my brothers, though, he dealt through anger. They hadn't been on the best of terms before dad died (it wasn't suicide, my dad had an aneurism), and my brother couldn't deal with that any other way. I think my brother and Nick are quite alike in many respects. In this case, it's complicated further by the fact that Angie didn't die. I'm actually quite happy with Nick's reaction.

 

 

As for the story being Nick-centric at the moment... Dave is a very emotionally pragmatic individual. He doesn't have an awful lot of issues of his own. I didn't want Linda to be the scorned woman, in and of itself a horrible cliché. I wanted her to have enough integrity to realise when she's lost and back down, which is why she's out of the picture. So, in many ways, at the moment Dave doesn't have a life outside of Nick. He's been going through the motions with his family, friends and football for a good long while, and being with Nick has woken him up from that. He still has other drives, wishes, etc., but when you're in a relationship at 16, your life very much becomes about your partner. The only reason why Nick isn't in a similar situation, where his whole world revolves around Dave, is that there's so much else going on with him. Don't worry, though, Dave's problems will come into focus again quite soon.

 

And, no, rut is correct. The noun rut means a period of sexual activity in deer and other mammals where the males fight for dominance. The verb form means to engage in such activity, and, by extension, simply to hump. ;)

Link to comment

It is rather interesting how individuals deal with traumatic situations. Some reign everything in and bite the bullet. Suppressing their own emotions, mental thoughts and instead just take charge and do what needs to be done. Others break completely and fall apart. Unable to process what is going on or what needs to be done. They become catatonic almost- comatose but mobile. While yet others have a short 'freak out' followed but a gambit of emotions running so hot and strong that they find it hard, if not impossible, to control them. I think the later of these is where you have put Nick. It is never easy to walk into a room and find your mum dead or dying. Natural causes or otherwise. There are stage that most go thru when faced and dealing with these situations. Shock, bewilderment, anger, self blame, outrage, resentment...all those and more are emotions everyone goes thru to some degree or another.

 

I'm not sure I really 'felt' all that Nick was going thru. You kept to the realism of how people reacted but with the emotions you had Nick expressing I felt they may have been a little flat. I'm not saying that he should be a drama boy about it all but I did feel like it was trying to build up to that but just lost steam. That being said I do want to say that I am enjoying the story and your writing style. Its a great story. I'm ready for more ;)

Link to comment
On 05/10/2013 02:47 AM, CW Prince said:
It is rather interesting how individuals deal with traumatic situations. Some reign everything in and bite the bullet. Suppressing their own emotions, mental thoughts and instead just take charge and do what needs to be done. Others break completely and fall apart. Unable to process what is going on or what needs to be done. They become catatonic almost- comatose but mobile. While yet others have a short 'freak out' followed but a gambit of emotions running so hot and strong that they find it hard, if not impossible, to control them. I think the later of these is where you have put Nick. It is never easy to walk into a room and find your mum dead or dying. Natural causes or otherwise. There are stage that most go thru when faced and dealing with these situations. Shock, bewilderment, anger, self blame, outrage, resentment...all those and more are emotions everyone goes thru to some degree or another.

 

I'm not sure I really 'felt' all that Nick was going thru. You kept to the realism of how people reacted but with the emotions you had Nick expressing I felt they may have been a little flat. I'm not saying that he should be a drama boy about it all but I did feel like it was trying to build up to that but just lost steam. That being said I do want to say that I am enjoying the story and your writing style. Its a great story. I'm ready for more ;)

I think it's easily forgotten how differently people react to grief. It's easy to go by one's own experiences and what one has seen in one's friends and then make labels for people's reactions and coping mechanisms based on those examples and say, 'This is how people feel.' In my experience, it's a lot more complicated. Personally, I have lost far too many people close to me, and each of those losses manifested themselves in different ways. When my dad passed away, I didn't cry. Not once, not until after the funeral, and I was furious with everyone who tried to express their sympathy. When my aunt cried, I shouted at her, probably because I couldn't cry myself. When my uncle died, it was different. He was an old man, and I hadn't seen him in a few years. I was shaken and very, very sad, but I took his passing with a sort of quiet acceptance and the funeral and the wake following it were a good experience, not a traumatic one. When one of my friends died last summer, I cried for a whole day. Then I proceeded to distract myself with tv-shows and, couldn't really tell you why, masturbation, until the funeral, at which I cried buckets, and the wake, where I performed Memory before dissolving completely.

 

When Nick doesn't express a lot of emotion, it's because he doesn't recognise them. He doesn't know what he's feeling or how to deal with it. He has had a complicated relationship with his mother (more complicated than what I have so far shared in the story), and when he understood what she had done his first reaction was anger and disgust. So far, that's all he's been able to really feel. It would probably, in many ways, have been easier on Nick if he's mother had actually died. Instead, he's left feeling as though she has when she hasn't, and the anger he feels towards her is still overshadowing any relief that she's still alive.

 

I'm glad you're still enjoying the story. Thanks for reviewing! :)

Link to comment

What a horrible wake up call for Nick. Just when you think that things are getting better, the bottom falls out from all. Dave stepped up to the plate tho. Even tho his "I love you" was unexpected, it was spontaneous and genuine and just what Nick needed at the moment. Dave is moving along with his feelings for Nick and even in this family crisis he was steadfast in his feelings for Nick and was there for support. Wonderful chapter!

Link to comment

I had to run out and buy more Kleenex halfway thru this chapter. I cannot imagine how Nick felt walking into his mom's room and finding her like that. He was so happy he was going to get to spend time with her for his birthday only to find out she tried to off herself? I want to yell and scream at her like Craig (wow, that was a good move for him, surprisingly), and say how the hell can you do that to your children? Sure, you'll be gone, but your kids will still be here, grieving and mourning for you. She's very cowardly, taking the easy way out, ready to leave her children scarred.

 

Then on the other hand, I hear Dave trying to convince Nick that it had nothing to do with him; it was all because of something wrong in her brain and I feel sorry for her. The scary thing is if this isn't dealt with, with meds, therapy, something, then it's going to happen again. And maybe this time it won't be all b/c of her brain; maybe she'll feel like her kids don't want to see her and then why bother living?

 

Dave has been a rock for Nick. He's been there for him and doing a great job of comforting him. I don't think you rushed those three little words. After all, they've known each other all their lives and Nick has always been in love with Dave. It just took Dave awhile to catch up. lol

 

Terrific chapter Thorn. I'm almost caught up now! Although I think you updated a chapter while I was reading this one. :)

Link to comment
On 05/11/2013 11:56 AM, joann414 said:
What a horrible wake up call for Nick. Just when you think that things are getting better, the bottom falls out from all. Dave stepped up to the plate tho. Even tho his "I love you" was unexpected, it was spontaneous and genuine and just what Nick needed at the moment. Dave is moving along with his feelings for Nick and even in this family crisis he was steadfast in his feelings for Nick and was there for support. Wonderful chapter!
Thank you so much! Dave is certainly coming along nicely. I just like him more and more, myself. And poor Nick, as if he needed more crap in his life, and this isn't even the last of it...
Link to comment
On 05/11/2013 12:11 PM, Lisa said:
I had to run out and buy more Kleenex halfway thru this chapter. I cannot imagine how Nick felt walking into his mom's room and finding her like that. He was so happy he was going to get to spend time with her for his birthday only to find out she tried to off herself? I want to yell and scream at her like Craig (wow, that was a good move for him, surprisingly), and say how the hell can you do that to your children? Sure, you'll be gone, but your kids will still be here, grieving and mourning for you. She's very cowardly, taking the easy way out, ready to leave her children scarred.

 

Then on the other hand, I hear Dave trying to convince Nick that it had nothing to do with him; it was all because of something wrong in her brain and I feel sorry for her. The scary thing is if this isn't dealt with, with meds, therapy, something, then it's going to happen again. And maybe this time it won't be all b/c of her brain; maybe she'll feel like her kids don't want to see her and then why bother living?

 

Dave has been a rock for Nick. He's been there for him and doing a great job of comforting him. I don't think you rushed those three little words. After all, they've known each other all their lives and Nick has always been in love with Dave. It just took Dave awhile to catch up. lol

 

Terrific chapter Thorn. I'm almost caught up now! Although I think you updated a chapter while I was reading this one. :)

Thank you so much for your, as ever, kind words! They're truly heartwarming and inspirational. :)

 

I do hope, in time, that Nick will be able to forgive his mother, and that the funeral scene I originally wrote for this chapter (because originally, she did manage to kill herself) will never have to happen.

 

Craig is such an infinitely more complex character than I thought he was when I started writing this story. He started out as straight-up villain, but I realised eventually that he needed motivations and background. Once I'd made those up for him, It became necessary to change his scenes a bit, to give him moments where he's, well, human.

 

The way Dave looks after Nick is astounding, really. No one's ever really looked after Dave, he's been neglected a lot by his parents growing up, so it becomes doubly important for him to take care of others. He does probably have a bit of a hero-complec, as well, but he already genuinely loves Nick.

 

As for the three little words, I actually felt like they were almost a little late coming. Check out my reply to Daithi below for my own experiences with I love you. :P

Link to comment

Ouch

Hell, that was raw.

Emotion packed, and a gut punch like no other.

I can't say I enjoyed it, but I found the writing compelling. The mix of emotions, anger, guilt, regret, misery, loathing.

It was all in there and all going on in rapid and confusing detail. Exactly as it would be if you had to live through it.

Astoundingly believable and well written Well done, for making something so difficult so vivid and alive.

Link to comment
On 05/18/2013 11:39 AM, Yettie One said:
Ouch

Hell, that was raw.

Emotion packed, and a gut punch like no other.

I can't say I enjoyed it, but I found the writing compelling. The mix of emotions, anger, guilt, regret, misery, loathing.

It was all in there and all going on in rapid and confusing detail. Exactly as it would be if you had to live through it.

Astoundingly believable and well written Well done, for making something so difficult so vivid and alive.

Thank you so much for this. I'm glad you feel I got it right. It was probably the most difficult part of the story to write, so I'm so pleased you thought it was good. :)
Link to comment

You really know how to kick a guy in the gut no? and you don't pull your punches. the anger/depression/confusion/pain is such a harsh and accurate mix. props dude

Link to comment
On 05/25/2013 10:52 PM, Sasha Distan said:
You really know how to kick a guy in the gut no? and you don't pull your punches. the anger/depression/confusion/pain is such a harsh and accurate mix. props dude
Thank you. I'm glad my writing has the desired effect. :P
Link to comment

That was horrible for Nick, glad he has Dave to comfort him and just be there with him. Craig is obviously better person than I thought, hope he stays that way and won´t hurt Zoë.

Brilliant writing...my heart is still beating too fast...

Link to comment

A very emotional chapter. What a horrible thing for Nick to walk in on.

I just managed to hold back the tears, until Nick said 'I love you' at the end.

As I read more and more, I find myself shifting opinions. At first I thought this story was very much about Dave accepting his sexuality, but it has become clear that Nick has his own issues. For some reason, he even doubts Dave's affections when Dave said 'I love you' after hearing about Nick's mum suicide attempt.

Link to comment
On 02/03/2014 05:38 AM, Andy78 said:
A very emotional chapter. What a horrible thing for Nick to walk in on.

I just managed to hold back the tears, until Nick said 'I love you' at the end.

As I read more and more, I find myself shifting opinions. At first I thought this story was very much about Dave accepting his sexuality, but it has become clear that Nick has his own issues. For some reason, he even doubts Dave's affections when Dave said 'I love you' after hearing about Nick's mum suicide attempt.

The story is very much about both of them. Nick hasn't had an easy life. With his dad walking out and his mum going crazy, and no friends to speak of, Zoë is the only person he's ever been able to rely on. As such, trust doesn't always come easy to him. Thanks for reviewing! :D
Link to comment

Wow. Nick's birthday and his mum do not go hand in hand at all. That was very hard to read. And while I understand that Nick's mom is very very sick, I still kinda sided with Craig in this chapter (surprise)! She has a very supportive and loving family and I can't imagine the kind of turmoil they would go through if her attempt was successful. I was surprised by Craig's support, but I still don't like the guy and I don't trust him. I do like how supportive Dave was. I think Nick would have fallen apart if he hadn't been there for him. Very powerful chapter, lots of emotions.

Link to comment
On 02/23/2014 07:37 AM, CassieQ said:
Wow. Nick's birthday and his mum do not go hand in hand at all. That was very hard to read. And while I understand that Nick's mom is very very sick, I still kinda sided with Craig in this chapter (surprise)! She has a very supportive and loving family and I can't imagine the kind of turmoil they would go through if her attempt was successful. I was surprised by Craig's support, but I still don't like the guy and I don't trust him. I do like how supportive Dave was. I think Nick would have fallen apart if he hadn't been there for him. Very powerful chapter, lots of emotions.
Craig is a very complicated character, and he's not, shall we say, especially rational. Nick's mum's attempted suicide will probably have major repercussions for Nick for a long time, poor dear.

 

Thank you so much for reading and leaving reviews! :D

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..