Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 4,210 Words
  • 7,654 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nemesis: Because I Want You - 14. Chapter Fourteen: Black-Eyed

Content warning: sexual assault

I was never faithful, and I was never one to trust. Borderlining schizo and guaranteed to cause a fuss. I was never loyal, except to my own pleasure zone. I'm forever black-eyed, a product of a broken home.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Black-Eyed

 

Nick lay on his back in the cool, green grass of his back garden, staring up at the blue sky where fluffy clouds moved lazily in the spring breeze. It wasn’t quite t-shirt weather yet, but Nick had stubbornly braved the temperature and refused to wear long sleeves.

He rolled over onto his side to look at Dave, who lay next to him, eyes closed, all but purring like a cat in the sunlight. He had opted for a blue and black striped long sleeve, not quite as desperate for spring as Nick was. Nick smiled. It wasn’t something he’d been doing a lot lately, but he took his happiness where he could find it.

Things had been better for a while, though Nick was sleeping very poorly, plagued by blood red dreams. Openly being friends with Dave, to the extent of being included when he hung out with his friends (so long as Alan wasn’t there), had made everything easier. Nick had found himself getting along with Matt especially well, as he liked a lot of the same bands as Nick and played the bass. It had kept him away from destructive thoughts.

Nick had come close to cutting himself twice in the past few weeks. It was something he’d done a few times in the past, by way of a distraction, but never regularly. This time, two things had held him back. One had been the thought of the look on Dave’s face when he saw the cuts. Nick might be able to keep them from his sister, but not from Dave. The other had been the thought of his mother, and the manner of her attempted suicide. It had replaced the pain with anger and made him determined not to do anything like what his mother had done.

The school counsellor had set him up with a shrink, to help him deal with his trauma, whom he visited every Wednesday. His psychologist was a young man named Evan. Evan had, as of yet, been unable to get much out of Nick, who felt he got enough help just talking to Dave and Mel, though the latter was getting busy studying for her AS-levels at the moment.

Still, just sitting in that quiet room for half an hour every week talking about the weather was somehow helpful. It gave Nick some space, allowed his mind to rest for a while. He was grateful to Evan, really.

The Easter holidays had brought with them a break from the shrink as well as from school, though. And Nick and Dave were free to spend as much time together as they pleased. Chas had gone to stay with his grandparents in the Black Country, Matt was spending the holidays with friends in Birmingham, and Alan’s dad had found a job for him which, Dave had told Nick, he was reluctant to divulge the details of, leading them to believe it had something to do with sanitation. What this all meant was that Dave had no obligation to spend time with anyone but Nick, which suited them both just fine.

Nick reached over and traced a circular pattern on Dave’s cheek. Dave raised his hand up to shield his eyes from the sun before opening them and looking at him.

‘Hey,’ said Nick.

‘Hey,’ said Dave and smiled.

‘It’s spring,’ said Nick.

‘I know.’

They looked at each other, silent for a while. Then Nick leaned down and kissed his boyfriend on the lips. Dave put his hand on the small of Nick’s back, and Nick swung one leg over him, laying down on top of him and enjoying the warmth beneath him as they kissed.

Dave’s other hand landed on Nick’s upper arm, and he broke the kiss.

‘You should wear a jacket. You’ll catch a cold,’ said Dave, stroking Nick’s goose-prickle-covered arm with his fingertips.

‘I refuse. It’s spring.’

‘Spring, not summer,’ Dave reminded him, an amused smile gracing his features. ‘You’ll be no good to me if you catch a cold.’

‘I’m fine!’ said Nick dismissively. ‘You’re hot enough for the both of us.’ He smirked, pleased with his own wit, and Dave shook his head.

‘Fine, don’t come crying to me when you’re stuck indoors all Easter.’ Dave glanced at his watch and sighed. ‘I should go soon. Jason’s arriving in an hour, and then my parents will be leaving for the airport. I should see them off.’

‘Yeah, all right,’ said Nick, with a slight pout. ‘Guess it can’t be helped. I’ll see you soon, though, yeah?’

‘Definitely!’ said Dave, grinning, and captured his lips again. ‘I’ll ring you later, okay?’

* * *

‘Dave! Goodness, how you’ve grown!’

‘Shut up, Jason!’ said Dave, grinning. He gave his cousin a brief hug. ‘How’ve you been?’

‘Excellent, excellent! Stressed out of my mind with this dissertation, but otherwise fantastic. Yourself? Got a new girlfriend yet?’

Dave shook his head. ‘Nope. Free as a bird, me.’

Jason grinned at him. ‘Good lad! No good tying yourself down yet.’ He ruffled Dave’s hair fondly.

Jason was twenty-five years old and very cool. Dave had worshipped him for most of his life. Jason was tall, with auburn hair and bright green eyes. His left ear was pierced, and he rode a motorcycle. Prior to starting his Mathematics degree, he had spent most of his savings backpacking around the world for about three years. He had stories to tell from Cambodia, Nepal, Tanzania, Argentina, and Australia, to mention a few, and had even spent six months on Checkpoint Watch in Palestine, helping Palestinian kids get to school safely. He was the very antithesis to Dave’s father, but he was family, and as such George Thompson tolerated him and was quite happy to leave his son in his care, despite Dave’s protests that he was sixteen and didn’t need a babysitter, thank you very much.

Dave’s father was pulling on his gloves. ‘Right, then,’ he said. ‘We’ll be off. No parties, no alcohol, no staying out all night. I trust you can handle this, Jason?’

‘Yes, Uncle George,’ said Jason with a smile. ‘I’d prefer peace and quiet, anyway, if I’m gonna solve P=NP.’

Dave’s father paused and looked at him, eyebrow raised.

‘I’m not actually solving P=NP,’ said Jason. ‘That was a joke.’

‘I see,’ said Dave’s father. He shook Jason’s hand, and then Dave’s, and picked up his suitcase.

‘Goodbye, then,’ said Dave’s mother, giving them both awkward hugs.

‘Bye, Mum,’ said Dave. ‘Have fun in Lanzarote!’

Dave and Jason waved them off from the front steps as the taxi drove away. When the door was closed, Jason turned to Dave.

‘So, I’ll get the blow and you’ll invite the hookers?’ he said. Dave laughed and picked up Jason’s bag.

‘How’s about I show you where you sleep first?’ he said, still grinning.

‘Lead the way, young Padawan,’ said Jason solemnly with an elaborate gesture.

* * *

‘Maybe I shouldn’t go,’ said Zoë. She stood in the hall, her left hand on the handle of her suitcase, purse dangling from her right elbow and car keys in her hand. She looked at Nick with a pained expression. She had changed her mind half a dozen times in the last hour. ‘It’s so soon after . . . I mean, I don’t want to leave you alone!’

‘He won’t be alone, babes, I’ll be here,’ said Craig.

‘And I’ll be just fine,’ Nick supplied. ‘Go. Have a good time with the girls. You need a holiday. And stop worrying about me!’

Zoë bit her lip. ‘Are you sure?’ she asked.

Yes!’ said Nick exasperatedly. ‘Go away!’

Zoë smiled. ‘All right, all right. You’ll ring me if you need anything, right? Anything at all?’

‘I promise,’ said Nick. He kissed her on the cheek.

Craig picked up her suitcase and walked it out to the car for her. Zoë followed, giving Nick one last smile. She kissed Craig goodbye at the car, got in the driver’s seat, waved to Nick who stood in the open doorway, and backed out of the drive, just as the first raindrops began to fall.

‘Guess it’s just you and me now,’ said Nick as Craig returned to the house.

‘Guess so,’ said Craig, shutting the door behind him. He glanced at Nick. ‘Tell you what. If you don’t bother me, I won’t bother you.’

‘Deal,’ said Nick, smiling politely. Then he headed up the stairs as Craig disappeared into the kitchen.

Nick lay down on his back on his bed, pulling his mobile phone out of his pocket, and dialled Dave’s number. It only rang twice.

‘So now Zoë’s gone,’ said Nick. ‘She’ll be back Monday. ’Til then it’s just me and Craig the Creep. Who admittedly is less creepy than he used to be, but . . .’ He sighed into the phone.

‘You should come over tomorrow,’ said Dave. ‘Jason won’t mind. He’s busy working on his dissertation, anyway.’

‘Wish I could come over now,’ said Nick. ‘I miss you.’

‘I love how you can miss me when it’s only been a couple of hours since we saw each other,’ Dave teased. There was a brief silence. ‘I miss you too,’ he admitted after a moment.

Nick smiled. ‘Dave,’ he said, rolling over onto his side. ‘Tell me what we’ll do tomorrow.’

Dave was quiet for a moment. ‘I dunno,’ he said, slowly. ‘What do you mean?’

Nick hesitated as he felt a blush creep up his cheeks. ‘I mean . . .’ He swallowed. ‘I mean, what do you want to do when I . . . When I get to your place?’

‘Oh,’ said Dave. Another silence followed. ‘Well, I guess we’ll go to my room.’

‘What will we do there?’ asked Nick, his breathing growing slightly shallow.

‘What do you want to do there?’ Dave countered.

Nick drew a ragged breath. ‘I want to kiss you,’ he said. ‘I want to take off your shirt and look at you, and feel your skin . . .’ He ran a hand through his hair and swallowed again. ‘Fuck, I just want to be with you.’

‘Yeah, me too,’ said Dave. ‘Most of all I think I just want to hold you.’

‘Yeah.’ Nick sighed and turned back onto his back. He slid his hand uncosciously down his front, to his crotch, slowly palming himself through his jeans. ‘I like the sound of that.’

There was a sound in the background. ‘Fuck it,’ Dave muttered. ‘I have to go, Nick. Jason’s calling me.’

‘Yeah, okay,’ said Nick and stopped what he’d been doing. ‘I’ll see you tomorrow. I love you.’

He gave another sigh as he hung up, uncomfortably aware of his erection, but somehow he didn’t feel like doing anything to alleviate it. Tomorrow was the day, he decided. They had waited long enough. He didn’t want to wait any longer.

His bedroom door creaked and he looked up suddenly, to find Craig staring at him from the doorway. He had an unpleasant look on his face.

‘Who were you talking to?’ he asked.

‘Why do you want to know?’ Nick asked, pocketing his mobile and sitting up.

‘I think you were talking to your little friend Dave,’ said Craig. Nick said nothing, but he felt his pulse quicken. How much had Craig overheard? ‘I certainly can’t think of anyone else who’d want to talk to you.’ Craig took a step inside the room. ‘I knew it!’ he hissed. ‘I knew you were a dirty little faggot!’ His eyes glinted madly, and he advanced on Nick.

* * *

Dave was in the kitchen making beans on toast when there came a knock on the front door. He turned off the induction hob and walked out into the hallway, wondering who it could be.

He opened the front door, and there stood Nick. He was hugging himself awkwardly and looking down at the ground. He was wearing Dave’s black leather jacket and his clothes were sodden with spring rain. He looked miserable.

‘Hey you,’ said Dave.

‘Hey,’ Nick mumbled, still not looking at him.

‘This is a surprise.’ Dave opened the door wider. ‘Come in.’

Nick took a tentative step forward, into the hallway.

‘What’s wrong?’ asked Dave. ‘Hey, look at me.’ He reached out a hand to touch Nick’s cheek. Nick flinched away at first, but then he lifted his gaze to Dave’s. His cheeks were red. Tear stained.

‘What’s happened?’ asked Dave, sharply.

‘Craig.’ Nick’s voice was quiet. ‘He was . . .’ He looked away again. ‘He figured it out. He heard me on the phone with you, and he figured it out. Called me names. Said he was gonna knock the queer out of me,’ he said bitterly.

Dave grabbed hold of him then, and held him close. ‘It’s all right,’ he whispered, stroking Nick’s hair gently. ‘You’re here now. You’re safe. You can stay here till Zoë gets back. My parents won’t be back till next Tuesday.’

Nick nodded into his shoulder.

‘Who was it?’ came a voice from the living room. Nick and Dave quickly broke apart as Jason appeared in the doorway to the living room.

‘This is Nick,’ said Dave. ‘He’s a friend. He’s having some trouble at home, so would it be okay if he stayed here for a little while?’

‘Of course,’ said Jason at once. ‘No problem. Uncle George said no parties, but he didn’t say anything about friends sleeping over.’ He smiled and shook hands with Nick.

‘Come on,’ said Dave. ‘Let’s get you some dry clothes.’

He led the way up the stairs to his room. Nick followed. When they got up there, Dave sat Nick down on the bed and began to rummage in his closet for something that would fit.

‘They’re a bit old,’ he said, handing Nick a pair of jeans and a yellow t-shirt, ‘but they should fit you better than the stuff you borrowed last time.’

Nick nodded. ‘Thanks,’ he said. ‘For helping me.’

‘Of course I’ll help you!’ said Dave. He sat down next to him and took his hand. ‘I love you.’

Nick turned his face towards him. Dave reached up to brush a strand of hair from his forehead. Then he leaned in close and kissed him. Nick kissed him back, fiercely and urgently. They climbed further up on the bed, and Dave began to remove Nick’s wet shirt. He caressed the pale skin of his torso, where angry bruises were already forming. They broke apart and looked into each other’s eyes.

‘I’m never letting anyone hurt you ever again,’ Dave said fiercely. ‘He’s never coming near you again, you understand? Never!’ He was fully aware of how cheesy he sounded, but he didn’t care. He leaned in and kissed Nick again, more softly but just as passionately, hand still caressing his chest.

Tears welled up in Nick’s eyes again. He broke the kiss and buried his face in the other boy’s shoulder, a sob shaking his body violently.

Dave put his arms around him and just held him, stroking his hair, kissing his neck. After a while, Nick’s tears stopped falling, and the sobbing ceased, but they stayed like that for a while longer anyway.

Afterwards, Dave fetched a wet flannel from the bathroom. He returned to find Nick sitting on the edge of the bed with a faraway look in his eyes.

‘Hey,’ said Dave, sitting next to him.

‘Hey,’ Nick responded automatically, still staring straight ahead. His voice was flat. Dave examined his bruises, running the cool flannel over them soothingly. They appeared most prominent around his abdomen, his sides and his upper arms and shoulders. Here they looked like finger marks, like someone had grabbed and squeezed.

Nick shuddered every time Dave touched one of the bruises with the flannel.

‘Does it hurt?’ Dave asked.

Nick nodded, slowly. ‘A bit,’ he replied, voice still flat.

‘What did he do to you?’

Nick was quiet for a few moments, working his jaw and swallowing.

‘He, er . . . He came into my room after I hung up with you. Accused me. Called me a faggot. I told him it was none of his fucking business. So he punched me, here.’ He touched a hand to the side of his stomach. ‘Many times, until I couldn’t stand up. Thought I was gonna be sick. Then . . .’ Nick shuddered, looking down at his hands.

‘Yes?’ Dave prompted. ‘What happened next?’

‘He loosened his belt. Pushed me down on the bed, on my stomach . . .’ His voice was getting quavery and his eyes teared up again. Dave took his hand, his body shaking with rage.

‘Did he . . . ?’ He couldn’t finish the sentence, it was too much to take in. He struggled to keep his voice even. He swallowed and tried again. ‘Did he—’

Nick said nothing, but nodded, squeezing his hand to cut him off. He cleared his throat. ‘He said . . . Erm, he said that if I liked taking it up the arse so much he’d teach me better manners. He—he held me down . . .’ Nick’s lips quivered and his wide eyes shifted restlessly, still not looking at Dave. ‘He held me down,’ he whispered helplessly, and Dave put his arms around him again, holding him tightly. He stroked his hair soothingly. The flannel lay forgotten on the bed.

‘I’m sorry, Nick, I’m so sorry,’ he whispered, unable to find anything better to say. Nick’s body shook violently in his arms, and he held him tighter. ‘I’m so, so sorry!’

‘When he’d finished,’ Nick croaked through the sobs, ‘it was like he realised what he’d done. The look on his face . . . He disappeared, I heard him turn on the shower, so I got up and I ran. Didn’t look back.’

‘Good,’ said Dave. ‘I’m glad you came here. You’re safe here. It’s all right. You’re safe.’ He kissed the top of Nick’s head. ‘You’re safe.’

They stayed like that, on the bed, for a good while. Dave felt awkward and useless and angry. He wished he could erase what had happened to Nick. He wanted to beat Craig to a pulp, give him a taste of his own medicine, but he knew that wasn’t an option.

‘Would you like me to run you a bath?’ he asked after a little while. Nick pulled away. Sniffed. Nodded stiffly.

So Dave went into the bathroom once more and began to fill the enormous bathtub. Then he busied himself with finding towels, clean pants and a spare toothbrush for Nick. When the bath was halfway full, he went over to the doorway.

‘Nick?’ he said softly. It took a moment before Nick responded, but he got up slowly and made his way towards him. Halfway there, he clamped a hand over his mouth and broke into a run, making a beeline for the toilet. He sank to his knees and vomited.

Dave sat down on the floor next to him, stroked his heaving back with one hand and held his fringe away from his eyes with the other. When Nick’s heaving and coughing subsided, he slumped onto the floor in the foetal position. Dave stroked his hair in what he hoped was a soothing manner.

‘Shh, it’s okay,’ he whispered. ‘It’s all right, love, you’re safe.’ He repeated those words, ‘you’re safe,’ just as much for his own benefit as for Nick’s. He felt like they were all he had to offer, and he wanted them to be true.

The bathtub began to overflow, and he got up to turn the tap off and drain a little bit of the water. Then he flushed the toilet and helped Nick to his feet. He filled his toothbrush cup with water so Nick could rinse out his mouth, before helping him get undressed.

When only the pants remained, he hesitated. He had seen Nick naked before, in the changing rooms at school, when they were younger, but not in a few years. These weren’t the circumstances under which he had imagined seeing his boyfriend naked for the first time, and he wondered if maybe he should leave the room, give Nick some privacy. But before he could voice his concern, Nick had already unabashedly removed the garment himself and was climbing into the bathtub.

Dave felt like he ought to look away, but he couldn’t seem to manage to. He found himself staring at Nick’s body. His skinny hips never the less made way for a rounded and very nice looking bottom, but as he stared, mental images of Nick on the bed with Craig on top of him flashed through Dave’s head and he looked away, his eyes tearing up in anger, his hands balled into fists.

Nick sat down in the tub, a visible shudder rattling his body as he made contact with the hot water. Dave stood in the middle of the bathroom, unsure of what to do next, but Nick made that decision for him.

Looking up at him, Nick gave a sort of sad half smile. ‘Get in with me?’ he said, and how could Dave say no to that?

He took off his clothes while Nick watched him tentatively. Nick moved forward in the tub so Dave could fit behind him. As he got in and sat down, Nick shuddered again, and Dave thought that he must be remembering.

He sat so his legs were on either side of Nick’s hips, and Nick leaned back against his chest. Being in this position would have been a turn-on, but under the circumstances Dave didn’t feel anything like that. All he felt was sadness and anger. Tears were pouring from Nick’s eyes again, but his sobs were silent, and Dave kissed the back of his head and smoothed his fringe with his fingers.

‘I’m sorry,’ said Nick after a long moment of silence.

‘Sorry? About what?’ said Dave incredulously. ‘You have nothing to be sorry for!’

‘I am anyway. For dumping all this on you. Thank you for . . . for helping me . . .’

‘You really needn’t thank me,’ said Dave. ‘What else was I to do, turn you away?’

‘You could’ve done.’

‘No, I couldn’t, Nick.’ Dave sighed and shook his head. ‘When are you going to get it through your thick skull that you’re actually important to me? I want to do this. I couldn’t not help you, it would be like . . .’ He thought for a moment, trying to come up with an appropriate analogy. ‘Like not running away from a tiger or not trying to come up for air when you’re drowning. No, it’s like a soldier not fighting back if someone’s trying to kill his mates. It isn’t a matter of choice, it’s just what you have to do.’

Nick squeezed his hand, almost painfully. Then he turned sideways a little bit and looked at him. Not breaking eye contact, he touched his hand to Dave’s chest and traced a line down into the water. As the hand reached his hip bone, Dave threw his head back involuntarily and gasped. It was impossible not to react to that kind of stimuli, and God, how he would have wanted Nick to go on . . . But he grabbed Nick’s wrist and pulled his hand out of the water.

‘No,’ he said firmly but gently. ‘No way, not while you’re in this state. I won’t have you thinking you need to thank me, and I won’t have you equating that with what’s happened to you today.’ He brought Nick’s hand to his lips and kissed his knuckles, one by one. ‘Don’t get me wrong,’ he said between kisses, ‘I want . . . I mean, I really do, but not like this.’ He pulled Nick close again. ‘There’ll be time for all that later.’

* * *

Nick nervously punched his sister’s number into his mobile phone. She picked up after three rings.

‘Hello?’

‘Hi,’ said Nick. ‘I just wanted to let you know, I’ll be staying with Dave while you’re in London. I . . . I forgot to tell Craig before I left, so . . .’ He clenched his fist as he said the name. He couldn’t tell her over the phone what was going on.

‘That should be okay. Dave’s parents out of town, then?’

‘Yeah, but we’re not alone, his cousin is here. He’s about your age.’

‘All right. Everything okay?’

‘Yeah,’ said Nick. ‘Fine. Just . . . come here and pick me up on the way home, okay? There’s something I need to talk to you about.’

‘What’s up?’

‘Nothing important. Just pick me up before you go home, yeah?’

Zoë laughed. ‘All right, silly. Could you put Dave’s cousin on, please?’

Nick did. They talked for a couple of minutes and Jason jotted down her number before handing the phone back to Nick.

‘Right, well he seems nice,’ said Zoë. ‘I’ll see you in a few days. Take care, sweet!’

‘Thanks, you too,’ said Nick. ‘Love you.’

‘Love you too!’

Lyrics from Black Eyed are © Placebo.
Copyright © 2013-2019 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Playlist (YouTube)     Playlist (YouTube)     Playlist (YouTube)     Alan Matt Craig           Hubris reading order: Alan - after the final chapter of Nemesis: Because I Want You. Matt - between chapters 4 and 5 of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Craig - after chapter 8 of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Alan & Matt - after the final chapter of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Patrick
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



That was a challenging chapter to write, and also to read. You did it masterfully, I must say. (Had to put on my Sherlock Holmes' cap to find the Wizard of Oz reference in the last chapter--but I finally found it!) :boy:

Link to comment

As if Nick didn't have enough to deal with now he has to deal with a rape by Craig. Zoe needs to know and pitch the creep out.

Link to comment

That no-good sonofabitch. Dave should have insisted he report him and get a rape kit done. Now all the evidence is washed away.

 

Zoe's gonna have a fit when she finds out. I hope she's not too attached to the creep.

 

Excellent chapter. Dave is really coming thru for Nick. Nick is lucky to have him.

Link to comment

First of all I want to say that I think having Craig rape Nick was a totally unneccessary choice of dramatic development. There are enough difficult matters to deal with for these two boys as it is, and this is over the top. I expected a beating, and that would have been bad enough, but rape is just too much. But it's your story, so only you get to make that decision. All I can do is stop reading, though that's hard to do once hooked on a story. Oh, yeah and tell you how the plot makes me feel about the story and the main characters: really really annoyed with their stupidity.

Nick paid the price for him and Dave being so stupid and not doing the right thing in the first place. If Nick had told Zoe about Craig beating him up, he would not have been violated even more. If Dave had not been such a pussy about coming out and about having sex with his boyfriend, Nick's first time would have been with the boy he loved and not rape. If Dave was not so utterly in the closet, Nick would have admitted being gay to his sister, and that would probably have revealed Craig for what he is, meaning he would have been dumped by Zoe. I hope Dave gets to feel as guilty as he should, and I could almost wish that he lost Nick over this. But I still want Nick to be less unhappy, and I guess that's not going to happen without Dave.

Oh yeah and I'm pissed that they didn't report the rape, means they haven't learnt anything from the mistake of not revealing Craig's first violent act.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now. Good luck with sorting out all the issues in this relationship.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/11/2013 10:26 AM, charlieocho said:
That was a challenging chapter to write, and also to read. You did it masterfully, I must say. (Had to put on my Sherlock Holmes' cap to find the Wizard of Oz reference in the last chapter--but I finally found it!) :boy:
Thank you! I'm so glad you think I pulled it off. It was a very challenging part of the story to write, especially as this is another one of those things that was never meant to happen when I wrote my outline, but then happened anyway. Thank you!
Link to comment
On 05/11/2013 10:31 AM, Daithi said:
As if Nick didn't have enough to deal with now he has to deal with a rape by Craig. Zoe needs to know and pitch the creep out.
Oh, Zoë will know, believe you me... Unfortunately, your average 16-year-old boy is entirely unfamiliar with how to deal with a situation like this, legally, medically and socially.
Link to comment
On 05/11/2013 03:10 PM, Lisa said:
That no-good sonofabitch. Dave should have insisted he report him and get a rape kit done. Now all the evidence is washed away.

 

Zoe's gonna have a fit when she finds out. I hope she's not too attached to the creep.

 

Excellent chapter. Dave is really coming thru for Nick. Nick is lucky to have him.

I don't think Dave at all knows what you're supposed to do in the event of rape. This is my bit of social commentary: That young boys are not taught about what rape, or what to do if it happens. So Dave did the best he could.
Link to comment
On 05/11/2013 07:12 PM, Timothy M. said:
First of all I want to say that I think having Craig rape Nick was a totally unneccessary choice of dramatic development. There are enough difficult matters to deal with for these two boys as it is, and this is over the top. I expected a beating, and that would have been bad enough, but rape is just too much. But it's your story, so only you get to make that decision. All I can do is stop reading, though that's hard to do once hooked on a story. Oh, yeah and tell you how the plot makes me feel about the story and the main characters: really really annoyed with their stupidity.

Nick paid the price for him and Dave being so stupid and not doing the right thing in the first place. If Nick had told Zoe about Craig beating him up, he would not have been violated even more. If Dave had not been such a pussy about coming out and about having sex with his boyfriend, Nick's first time would have been with the boy he loved and not rape. If Dave was not so utterly in the closet, Nick would have admitted being gay to his sister, and that would probably have revealed Craig for what he is, meaning he would have been dumped by Zoe. I hope Dave gets to feel as guilty as he should, and I could almost wish that he lost Nick over this. But I still want Nick to be less unhappy, and I guess that's not going to happen without Dave.

Oh yeah and I'm pissed that they didn't report the rape, means they haven't learnt anything from the mistake of not revealing Craig's first violent act.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now. Good luck with sorting out all the issues in this relationship.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope you'll change your mind with regards to not reading anymore. There are only a few chapters to go.

 

You are completely right that Nick should have told Zoë about Craig beating him. You're right that Dave and Nick should both have just come out. And you're right that they should have reported the rape. Nick should have been taken to a doctor to be examined and checked out, and for the sake of evidence, too. Absolutely. This is what SHOULD have happened.

 

But it didn't.

 

Nick didn't tell Zoë the first time around because he was afraid. Because this was the man his sister wanted to marry, and he was worried that he wouldn't be believed, he was worried that Craig would hurt him again. He was worried that Craig would hurt Zoë.

 

Dave is still so far inside the closet because he's afraid of his father, because he's afraid to lose his friends, because he's afraid that if he loses status he won't be able to protect Nick anymore.

 

Nick still isn't out to his sister because he's used to homophobia, and even though it would be so unlike her, he's still irrationally afraid that she won't accept him.

 

And they didn't report the rape at once because they're two 16-year-old boys who have not been taught what to do if you're raped. Because the stigma against men who are raped (who 'let themselves be raped') in our society is even greater than the stigma against woman who are. Because Nick is afraid of not being believed, of being blamed, of being questioned. Because Zoë isn't there and Nick doesn't know how he could possibly tell her over the phone. Because Dave doesn't know if his cousin, whom he worships, would accept him if he told him the truth about everything, which going to him for help would, in his mind, inevitably lead to. Because when you're sixteen you don't always do the right thing or the rational thing. Yes, they're behaving stupidly. Of course they are; they're a pair of scared kids who don't know much about anything and think they know all about everything.

 

As for taking the story in this direction in the first place, and having already put them through enough... If the world was a fair place, and the universe never gave us more than we could handle, if there was a quota on misery and pain then, you would be completely right. Of course rape is too much. Rape is always too much. Rape should never happen. But it does. And it happens for stupid reasons, and it's done by otherwise regular people in whom something just snaps, and it's one of the most hideous crimes an individual can commit against another. But it still happens. It wasn't even supposed to happen. It wasn't part of my outline. There was another beating in store for Nick. But just like bad things happen in the world for no reason, this happened, too. It happened while I was writing. It happened before my eyes and I couldn't stop it, and once it had, I felt like there was no going back.

 

But thank you, really, for being this honest. I appreciate that you were willing to tell me this, and tell me why it makes you feel the way you do. And, in a way, I'm glad it does make you feel that way. It's a good reaction. Any reaction is a good reaction. So, thank you. Be well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, I knew Craig was a piece of shit, but he is lower then flea piss now. Homophobic idiot rapes a sixteen year old. Someone should castrate him with a dull fork.

So glad Dave was so supportive. wondering if Jason is going to be receptive of the boy's relationship.

If Craig has the guts to stay until Zoe gets home, then is sickness is complete because Zoe loves her brother more than life and i know she will believe what he tell her.

 

Great chapter!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/11/2013 10:56 PM, joann414 said:
Well, I knew Craig was a piece of shit, but he is lower then flea piss now. Homophobic idiot rapes a sixteen year old. Someone should castrate him with a dull fork.

So glad Dave was so supportive. wondering if Jason is going to be receptive of the boy's relationship.

If Craig has the guts to stay until Zoe gets home, then is sickness is complete because Zoe loves her brother more than life and i know she will believe what he tell her.

 

Great chapter!

Thank you! I'm glad you're still liking the story! Yeah, Craig is definitely a piece of shit. He's also very, very broken.... You'd have to be to do the stuff he's done. Dave's good at taking care of the people he cares about. It's one of his greatest strengths, and part of the reason why I love writing him so much.
Link to comment

Sorry, but that rape is a deal-breaker. And I'm not interested in the whole "life's not fair" argument, either.

 

I was enjoying this story, but now I can no longer do that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 05:24 AM, MJ85 said:
Sorry, but that rape is a deal-breaker. And I'm not interested in the whole "life's not fair" argument, either.

 

I was enjoying this story, but now I can no longer do that.

I'm sorry you feel that way. It saddens me that this sort of thing should make people want to stop reading, but it is how it is, I suppose. Thank you for reading as far as you did.
Link to comment

If you will permit me an opportunity I'd like to address a few things. First I respect peoples opinion and their right to chose to read a story or not to read it. Some are very sensitive to certain matters and to read about them is just too painful, emotionally overwhelming or sickens them in such a way that they just cannot continue. Therefore some stories just are not acceptable or logical for them to read. I hope what I am about to say is taken in the right context and light for which it is meant. I'm not a cold or callous person. This chapter sent me thru a plethora of emotions. We as readers seem to always want a little drama, chaos, maybe a little heated passion and nearly always a sweet, sappy and heartfelt happy ending. In stories such as this one we want you, the author, to stay as true to real life as possible while feeding our inner desires for troubles to always end in a bowl of peaches and cream. For the awkward, quiet and sometime ostracized boy to always end up with the best boy for them. What we as readers sometimes fail to understand is that you, as an author, have to stay true to your vision, true to your artistic creativity. We further sometimes fail to realize that not all stories are going to feed into our own little notion of a nice, clean-cut and wholesome nut shell. Real life isn't always fair nor is it always easy. Sometimes bad and even horrendous things happen that make us sick and wonder what as happened to the moral fiber of humanity. Some stories are more true to life then others and will have some hauntingly grotesque imagery in it. It is life- the good and the bad.

 

I commend you on staying with your artistic creativity and keeping the story as true to life as possible. Did I like what happened to Nick? HELL no! I will, however, not leave the story nor say a bad word about it being included in the story. It has been a well written and thoughtful story thus far. I will thank-you for not feeling the need to detail every action that Craig forced upon Nick as I believe that would have been over the top.

 

That being said...someone get me a pan, a frying skillet and some grits. Preferably a cast iron skillet. Then I'm going to do me some Craig hunting. Then I can take Madea's advice from Family Reunion "Grits and Skillet" and play a little 'Grit Ball' with him.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Just stumbled on this story three hours earlier and haven't stopped reading up until this chapter. All I can say is, wow... I thought maybe Nick just got the crap beaten out of him until, well. I think you handled the writing very well, although I wasn't a big fan of what was gonna happen but didn't event in the bathtub. After something like that... I dunno heh. I feared Nick wouldn't be able to get intimate after that but, in any case I hope that he recovers and gets his inner fortitude back. Don't get me wrong though, I'm now one of your avid fans. Maybe Dave and Matt can double team the bastard, couple of round house kicks mixed with below the belt jabs? But then again, I feel like that won't accomplish much because for some reason most of the characters (including Craig) have their own personal demons to deal with. That doesn't make it right what he did, but at the same time I don't know if pure violence will be enough to settle the issue.

In any case, please continue to post the next chapters. Can't wait to read 'em!

Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 05:59 PM, CW Prince said:
If you will permit me an opportunity I'd like to address a few things. First I respect peoples opinion and their right to chose to read a story or not to read it. Some are very sensitive to certain matters and to read about them is just too painful, emotionally overwhelming or sickens them in such a way that they just cannot continue. Therefore some stories just are not acceptable or logical for them to read. I hope what I am about to say is taken in the right context and light for which it is meant. I'm not a cold or callous person. This chapter sent me thru a plethora of emotions. We as readers seem to always want a little drama, chaos, maybe a little heated passion and nearly always a sweet, sappy and heartfelt happy ending. In stories such as this one we want you, the author, to stay as true to real life as possible while feeding our inner desires for troubles to always end in a bowl of peaches and cream. For the awkward, quiet and sometime ostracized boy to always end up with the best boy for them. What we as readers sometimes fail to understand is that you, as an author, have to stay true to your vision, true to your artistic creativity. We further sometimes fail to realize that not all stories are going to feed into our own little notion of a nice, clean-cut and wholesome nut shell. Real life isn't always fair nor is it always easy. Sometimes bad and even horrendous things happen that make us sick and wonder what as happened to the moral fiber of humanity. Some stories are more true to life then others and will have some hauntingly grotesque imagery in it. It is life- the good and the bad.

 

I commend you on staying with your artistic creativity and keeping the story as true to life as possible. Did I like what happened to Nick? HELL no! I will, however, not leave the story nor say a bad word about it being included in the story. It has been a well written and thoughtful story thus far. I will thank-you for not feeling the need to detail every action that Craig forced upon Nick as I believe that would have been over the top.

 

That being said...someone get me a pan, a frying skillet and some grits. Preferably a cast iron skillet. Then I'm going to do me some Craig hunting. Then I can take Madea's advice from Family Reunion "Grits and Skillet" and play a little 'Grit Ball' with him.

Thank you so much for saying all this. It's been painful to realise that I have readers who will stop reading my story because of this. I thought I handled it as tactfully and kindly as I could, and it saddens me that this wasn't enough. I, of course, respect an individual's choice to put down a book that triggers them, or that's painful for them to read, or that they just don't like. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt a bit when it's my book.

 

Craig could do with a good beating, I'm sure. Of course, if he goes to jail that's exactly what he'll get. Other convicts do not take kindly to child rapists, I've heard. We can let that be a comfort for now. :P

 

Thank you for reading, thank you for continuing to read, and thank you for your words.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/12/2013 07:27 PM, Alec_Vise said:
Just stumbled on this story three hours earlier and haven't stopped reading up until this chapter. All I can say is, wow... I thought maybe Nick just got the crap beaten out of him until, well. I think you handled the writing very well, although I wasn't a big fan of what was gonna happen but didn't event in the bathtub. After something like that... I dunno heh. I feared Nick wouldn't be able to get intimate after that but, in any case I hope that he recovers and gets his inner fortitude back. Don't get me wrong though, I'm now one of your avid fans. Maybe Dave and Matt can double team the bastard, couple of round house kicks mixed with below the belt jabs? But then again, I feel like that won't accomplish much because for some reason most of the characters (including Craig) have their own personal demons to deal with. That doesn't make it right what he did, but at the same time I don't know if pure violence will be enough to settle the issue.

In any case, please continue to post the next chapters. Can't wait to read 'em!

In the bathtub scene, Nick was still in shock. Still not used to anyone but Zoë being kind to him, his addled brain was looking for a way to pay Dave back for his kindness. Thank Goodness that Dave is such a decent bloke.

 

I'm so glad you've been enjoying the story! I'll be updating with another chapter a little later today. :) Thank you for reviewing!

Link to comment

Hardly suprising Graig is an even bigger creep than we already knew. Too bad it will be difficult to prove anything now the evidence is washed away. Still, I think Zoë will kick him out, ass first. If that is the only damage she's going to do to him.

Link to comment
On 05/13/2013 05:28 AM, Phoenix1977 said:
Hardly suprising Graig is an even bigger creep than we already knew. Too bad it will be difficult to prove anything now the evidence is washed away. Still, I think Zoë will kick him out, ass first. If that is the only damage she's going to do to him.
Yeah, you think? Zoë loves her baby brother to bits. That bath may not have been the best idea, but it made sense to them at the time. Poor boys. Thank you for reading and reviewing!
Link to comment

Wow...this was an emotionally charged chapter. After reading some of the other reviews, I don't see the rape as a deal breaker or unnecessary. There are homophobic people in this world and it is clear that Craig has not liked Nick from the get-go.

 

Shit happens in this life...very ugly shit and you can't have roses without a few thorns!!!

 

I hope Zoe is understanding as I can see that she loves Nick very much. We'll see what chapter 15 holds!!!

Link to comment
On 05/14/2013 02:07 AM, Gene63 said:
Wow...this was an emotionally charged chapter. After reading some of the other reviews, I don't see the rape as a deal breaker or unnecessary. There are homophobic people in this world and it is clear that Craig has not liked Nick from the get-go.

 

Shit happens in this life...very ugly shit and you can't have roses without a few thorns!!!

 

I hope Zoe is understanding as I can see that she loves Nick very much. We'll see what chapter 15 holds!!!

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying the story, and that you weren't put off by chapter 14. :)
Link to comment

I am not at all sure what made me suspect this, but from the first time Criag went skitzo, I had a horrible suspicion that Nick was going to fall fowl of rape to this man.

Kind of irritates me that the boys are just trying to hide it, or at least keep it quiet, so people can continue enjoying their lives. Part of me just wants to scream, part of me wants to kill someone, and part me me feels completely defeated.

The clever thing here Mr Wilde my dear friend, is that it is you who has generated all that emotion, and despite that this is fiction, you have a whole host of readers that would gladly commit murder for your characters.

That is a great achievement for any writer, and you should feel very proud. You have spent a lot of time and effort, and fine tuned this story into something that your readers have bought into. They feel as you direct. The gasp as you make them gasp, and coil back in horror at moments that you expose them to horrific details. The smile, or giggle when you give them cause.

You are totally and completely in control, and most readers would be hanging on every word by now. (It'd take a hard arsed fussy two shoes to not be enthralled in the plot and in love with its characters).

Your peaks and troughs are dizzying, and as many times as I have thought, 'Right I am off to sleep now', I find I am unable to leave it there and go off to sleep. It is now 4.15 am and I still just want to keep reading.

Argggggggggh

Loves it! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/18/2013 01:13 PM, Yettie One said:
I am not at all sure what made me suspect this, but from the first time Criag went skitzo, I had a horrible suspicion that Nick was going to fall fowl of rape to this man.

Kind of irritates me that the boys are just trying to hide it, or at least keep it quiet, so people can continue enjoying their lives. Part of me just wants to scream, part of me wants to kill someone, and part me me feels completely defeated.

The clever thing here Mr Wilde my dear friend, is that it is you who has generated all that emotion, and despite that this is fiction, you have a whole host of readers that would gladly commit murder for your characters.

That is a great achievement for any writer, and you should feel very proud. You have spent a lot of time and effort, and fine tuned this story into something that your readers have bought into. They feel as you direct. The gasp as you make them gasp, and coil back in horror at moments that you expose them to horrific details. The smile, or giggle when you give them cause.

You are totally and completely in control, and most readers would be hanging on every word by now. (It'd take a hard arsed fussy two shoes to not be enthralled in the plot and in love with its characters).

Your peaks and troughs are dizzying, and as many times as I have thought, 'Right I am off to sleep now', I find I am unable to leave it there and go off to sleep. It is now 4.15 am and I still just want to keep reading.

Argggggggggh

Loves it! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have no idea how much your words mean to me!
Link to comment

"he held me down" - ouch dude. it shows how good you are with these two and as a writer that those words were all you needed to say.

Link to comment

Didn´t expect Craig to be that horrible. Poor Nick! His life really isn´t easy. They should have gone to the police, they could have told Jason, but I can understand why they did neither of those. Bruises will still be there so it won´t be too late to charge Craig with assault.

I love the way you write this story. You make me feel very strongly about everything that is happening. :thankyou:

Link to comment

Wow. Totally shocked. I knew Craig was as crazy as a box of frogs, but I never thought he would go that far. I just hope they have the courage to tell Zoe what happened.

I can understand some of the comments in other reviews about the rape, but I thought it was well-handled and brilliantly written.

Keep up the great writing.

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..