Jump to content
    Toast
  • Author
  • 1,082 Words
  • 1,099 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Moonshine - 1. Chapter 1: Death Of A Stranger

Love at first sight.

MoonShine

Chapter One: Death of a Stranger

“How the hell would I know. I didn’t hurt nobody. I didn’t kill nobody. He just came in here and fell to pieces. Look at him, he is still coming apart. I just work here, you know. Someone needs to call the manager. I called security code red. You tell me what happened. That was a man and now it’s a mess. You want answers. Well I saw it and I don’t have any. I need answers.” The boy was wide eyed. He had the prettiest blue/yellow eyes, even popped out of his head. And his hair. It was orange and violet like a sunset. And his skin. I would like to meet this kid off duty.

“Kid calm down, all I asked was how’re you holding up?” The kid was scared and maybe in shock, but he was standing up and he hadn’t thrown up yet. Once his body and his brain get their act together he will probably spew all over the place. “Let’s step out on the sidewalk. Give the guys room to do their jobs. What’s your name kid?” Officer Sun took the kid my the arm and led him toward the entrance. Sun was maybe three years older than the kid, but he had spent the last two years in officer training. It made you grow up fast.

“Eddie. Edward Moon.” It was another boring afternoon at work in the black hole, then a customer. It was terrible. It was just horrible. He had seen the guy come in and he was cute. No, okay, he was supernova hot. Maybe that’s why I feel so bad. I was checking him out big time. Trying to catch his eye. His mini kilt was black and his butt looked inviting in it. And where did he get those shoes? His body straps looked a size too small, tight. His chest was like in your face gorgeous. But it was his face, oh yes. His profile. His eyebrow. His nose. His lips. His chin. And that jaw line. I wanted to be his ear stud. When he turned his head to scope out the place I saw his full face. His deep sat eyes were a flash of beauty. His cheekbones points of drama. Oh my god he has dimples. I was working check out and couldn’t leave my station. If I was the floor clerk, I could of walked right up to him and asked: ‘Can I help you out?‘ I’ve never helped anyone out that way, the way I wanted to help him that is. Then I would have been standing next to him when it all started. His head just caved in and splashed down his shoulders.

It was like a balloon popped. And it was full of liquid, but not like water. His head just collapsed and followed the collapse of his shoulders and arms and chest. His butt and legs were lost under the fall of the blue white liquid. And it pooled on the floor. Eddie had looked death in the face for the first time. It was shocking, disturbing and impossible. But not as gross as it could have been. Their was no blood and guts every where.

“How old are you Eddie? How long you worked here?” The kid was looking spacey. Better have him checked out by one of the guys when they are finished with the other one. Maybe the next time I’m off I will check him out myself. I know where to find him. The kid was wearing a two leg kilt, knee length and sandals. His chest vest hid his nipples. The tease. This kid was space candy. He had great shoulders and arms.

“I’m seventeen and I have been here three months. Was it that killer virus? The one that eats people. I’m I going to get it?” The customer had been a stranger of course, maybe a tourist off the cruise ship. A man like that might visit here, but this place couldn’t hold him long, not a man like that.

“It’s not a virus, you’re safe. Do you hear me Eddie? You are safe.” God not the virus. If it was… air locks would be slamming. Klaxons of all types would be sounding. The entire mall would shut down under quarantine and decontamination. But it wouldn’t do any good. They would all die. And the mall would be detonated.

“Yes, I hear you. It’s so hard to believe. A guy dies in front you. And like that, in a bookstore. In the mall.” I remember his hair. Black with silver ends. I think they call that ermine. It was long and he had a couple of thin braids. The man was unbelievable.

“Kid, the guy’s not dead. He’s going to be fine. He just got caught unawares apparently by his mote. He is an amoeba. You know a ‘Moe’. That’s all. He has returned to his natural state. Probably brought on by stress. I bet this was his first time to the mall.” Was the kid listening to him? Next time we talk I will have his total attention, you can bet on it.

A Moe here at the mall. A real Moe. Here. Eddie couldn’t imagine this ever happening here. Nothing ever happened here. It’s home world was so far away… We have only just made audio contact with them. It would take years and years to travel that distance. How could a Moe be here? He wasn’t dead?

“You said he wasn’t dead? What I saw wasn’t dying?” That beautiful man was not dead. He was from faraway. And I saw him. I didn’t get to talk to him but I saw him. A Moe. And alive. How do you explain despair turned to joy.

“He’s not dead. He wasn’t dying. The Captain will be here soon and he will take charge of it all. When this news hits the ear wicks, every glory hound in our sector will show up. It will be hell to control, but good for business. The guys are going to collect the Moe in a bag and take him to the infirmary. The doc says he will need forty eight hours of repose and artificial yellow sunlight to recover.” The kid was smiling now. He was going to be alright. Yes, I am going to make it a point to shop at ‘A Real Book’ every chance I get.

Can trouble be far behind?

Copyright © Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original art, characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.<br /><br />This story was originally written in early 2010.<br /><br />Transfer to new system on: 12/20/2010<br /><br />© Copyright 2010 by Bugeye. All Rights Reserved.<br />
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great opening sentence to catch the reader.

 

 

…Trying to catch his eye. His mini kilt was black and his butt looked inviting in it. And where did he get those shoes?

 

These are great lines but I find myself wanting more description. You pose the question, where did he get those shoes? Well describe the shoes to me so that I can enjoy them too. In an earlier part, you describe the boys eyes as blue/yellow. I was having a hard time picturing whether it was the iris that was yellow or the outside of the eye or whether it was the stunning combination of both which seemed attractive.

 

 

Their was no blood and guts every where.

 

“There” not “Their” and everywhere is one word not two. Aside from that, I think the sentence would read better if you had inserted a verb after the word guts. For example "lay" might be appropriate here.

 

“air lock” is one word and not two.

 

… It’s home world was so far away…
“homeworld” is one word and not two.

 

A wonderfully entertaining read overall and the alien feel of some of your terminology really works here and draws me into your story. Going to read Chapter 2 right now. :D

 

 

Link to comment
On 12/27/2010 01:59 AM, Kavrik said:
Great opening sentence to catch the reader.

 

 

…Trying to catch his eye. His mini kilt was black and his butt looked inviting in it. And where did he get those shoes?

 

These are great lines but I find myself wanting more description. You pose the question, where did he get those shoes? Well describe the shoes to me so that I can enjoy them too. In an earlier part, you describe the boys eyes as blue/yellow. I was having a hard time picturing whether it was the iris that was yellow or the outside of the eye or whether it was the stunning combination of both which seemed attractive.

 

 

Their was no blood and guts every where.

 

“There” not “Their” and everywhere is one word not two. Aside from that, I think the sentence would read better if you had inserted a verb after the word guts. For example "lay" might be appropriate here.

 

“air lock” is one word and not two.

 

… It’s home world was so far away…
“homeworld” is one word and not two.

 

A wonderfully entertaining read overall and the alien feel of some of your terminology really works here and draws me into your story. Going to read Chapter 2 right now. :D

 

Thanks Kavrik. Moonshine was one of my first stories from a year ago. Never wrote stories until then, so not must experience. This was for fun. So I guess it is kind of irreverent to proper writing lol. Maybe I will revise and expand it one day. It was very much a spur of the moment kind of thing. I reread some of it and I was shocked at my bad language lol.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..