Jump to content
    Toast
  • Author
  • 1,509 Words
  • 1,258 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Moonshine - 4. Chapter 4: Hidden Agenda

A snowball in space is akin of a snowball in hell.

MoonShine

Chapter Four: Hidden Agenda

Felix and I were sitting in the park outside the Moonstone Gallery. Over computerized landscaped greenery with no character, granny would call it. I preferred the Blue Park by my dormitory. The kid had just left with a code that would lead him to his own poster in about half a hour. He asked me to promise to burn it tomorrow. He was such a puppy. How could I say no? I wish I could afford a dog. I miss Booger. He died of old age a month before the job lottery. He was seventy three. My granny got him as a puppy for her tenth birthday. “You have just made that kid a hundred credits. A hand burned original bootleg poster? Come on Eddie, usually you think faster than that.”

“You really think he will sell it?” Somehow that hurt Eddie’s feelings. What happened? How did things get to this point so fast. This is a joke, right?

“I would. If he’s smart he will buy two posters. One to keep and one to auction. I bet he shows up tomorrow with two, begging for you to burn both. One for him and one for his boyfriend.” Maybe I will show up with a few to burn. Good idea. Code Reminder: Ten posters tomorrow, burn and sell.

(Felix was right. But the kid showed up with three posters. One for him. One for his sister. And one for his grandmother. Felix showed up with twenty.)

Eddie smiled at his friend and his astute evaluation of the situation. “How did this happen, Felix? A bootleg poster of me with computer animation, because I sure didn’t pose for all of that… stark naked, in your face geyser show. I can’t believe it. Do you believe it? I can’t figure out how I feel. It is just too unexpected.”

“Eddie. I thought it was a good idea. I am going to split the profits with you.” Felix locked eyes with Eddie. This was the moment.

“What…? How…? You? Why? … Shit! No. You shit!” Eddie was ready to jump Felix and remove a body part. He was also fighting the urge to giggle. Felix made a poster of me. That is so sweet.

“Eddie listen. Don’t get mad. Wait and hear me out first. I figure I will make a quick ten thousand credits on this scam before the watchers get involved and I have to pull it. Half of that will be yours. Do you have any idea what five thousand credits will do for you?” Did you know joy and avarice were fuck buddies?

Eddie just stared at Felix. Shook his head and stared some more. “Funny, I have been thinking about what I could do with five thousand credits all morning. How could you put something like this together? I don’t get it. I would say impossible, but you have the poster in your hand.”

“I started a small underground publishing concern. This poster is my first major enterprise. Quite a kick off, wouldn‘t you say.” Pride. He was bursting with it.

“You mean black market porn?” Isn’t his life risky enough already?

“No, I’m legal. As long as they don’t know I’m a synthetic.” No worries. I got it covered, but I’m about to throw the final dice.

“Felix? How?”

“Hey, I have rights too. I’ve got goals. I’ve got ambitions. Why can’t I own a company? Why can’t I own myself? I do you know. I own myself. I bought my contract under an assumed identity. The same one that owns my company. Edward Moon.” This was the gamble, but it wasn’t a gamble really. It was a proposal of sorts.

“Felix!”

“Don’t be mad Eddie. Think. I knew you were the one. That you would help me out. I knew the first time we met. From the way you looked at me. Exactly the same way you looked at the Moe. And you have proven true Eddie. You and I are going to make something of ourselves. We are going to help each other all the way to the top. We are going to be business partners and best friends. And it is all legal and legit as church, as long as you agree Eddie.” And I want to be lovers, Felix thought.

“Felix will you go to a party with me tomorrow night?” Eddie asked with his eyes closed.

“I just confess all to you and you ask me to a party?” Well, what did I expect? Eddie was astonishingly cute.

“It’s too much at the moment. I need a little time here. So, it’s your turn to listen. I got invited to a party this morning and paid five thousand credits to show up with a date.” So, you think you can bushwhack me do you, payback is a spacefucker.

“Tell me all Eddie and don’t leave out anything.” See, shit on your tormentor’s face is a sweet stink.

How do you retell a dream. An impossible dream at that. A dream is all nuance. Words don’t work so well with dreams. It is all emotions. And I am so messed up right now. Everything is a blur of images and sounds and shock and surprise. “Felix can you… will you open an intimate channel for a direct feed from me. We can talk after.” This was the ultimate trust between two beings. Even lovers hesitate to be this close.

“I’m impressed. Very impressed. Grant Frontier. An invitation to his private yacht. He does this you know. Invite people. It’s a sign of social attainment. And it’s legit Eddie. You can forget your anxiety about slave traders, or sexual assault or a surprise party just for two. This party will have full media coverage. The Governor of MoonShine could even be there. It will be a major social event. People are probably clawing each other with envy over the invitation list. Charles is a real burn too. Even if he talks with an asteroid up his ass. Are you sure you want to take me, a synthetic?” Talk about uncertainty. Is Eddie already out of his orbit?

“Why wouldn’t I take my business partner with me. Sounds like we will make some interesting business contacts there. It‘s a spacepact. Want to seal it with spit?” Eddie licked Felix’s cheek.

****************************************************************

There was a cadet officer standing in front of my apartment door when I got home. He looked familiar, but all cadets dressed in identical uniforms. Bib beret, neck torque, shoulder pads, chest vest, kilt, thigh highs and boots. Oh, and he had ribbons, he was a cadet captain. “Can I help you cadet officer, are you looking for someone?”

“You don’t remember me do you kid? And we only met yesterday. Do you break the hearts, as well as the egos, of the men you meet.” Sun looked Eddie over, including the long tube in his hand. One guess as to what it contained. The poster now had a place of honor in the cadet dinning hall.

“You are Officer Sun. You were the first to arrive on the scene. You explained to me what had really happened. You took care of me. Thank you. Is this a follow up interview? I don’t know what else I could tell you.” How could he not notice this guy before?

“Well, I am here on official business. I was sent to inquire if you would visit the infirmary the morning after tomorrow. The Moe is expected to reform then. He might appreciate finding his boyfriend there to greet him.” I don’t have a chance in hell. I have never felt outclassed before.

“I’m not his boyfriend. Why does everyone think I‘m his boyfriend?” But you could be boyfriend material. Let’s see if you are ready to suit up and hit the wild side of space.

“In that case, will you go out with me tomorrow night. It’s my day off and I want to spend it with you Eddie.” No push, no pull.

“I like to know someone a little bit before I agree to a date. I’m going to a party tomorrow with a friend. Would you like to join us. You can get to know me better and visa versa. Plus, this party is supposed to be out of this galaxy. You couldn’t find a better way to spend your night. No one will make you a better offer than this Cadet Officer Sun.” A real date. He asked for a date. Not the ‘Let’s do it now’ he heard ten times a day. He wasn’t letting this one loose. Tracker beam on full.

“Call me David. And you should know, all my friends call me Dawg. Yes, I would enjoy a party especially in your company. Will it be okay with your friend?” Dawg was smiling at his favorite bone, okay boy.

“Sure, Felix has a real fondness for cadets.”

“And Eddie, I’m sorry to tell you this but your presence at the infirmary is mandatory.”

A spaceman, an alien and a grasshopper are sitting in a bar in downtown Throwndown. "Hit me!" the grasshopper calls to the bartender. The bartender promptly smacks the grasshopper flat. The alien licks up the mess and purrs. The Spaceman says: I'll have the same.

Copyright © Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original art, characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.<br /><br />This story was originally written in early 2010.<br /><br />Transfer to new system on: 12/20/2010<br /><br />© Copyright 2010 by Bugeye. All Rights Reserved.<br />
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

LOL the dialogue of the prose flows so naturally. At one second the narrator thinks someone looks like a puppy. In the next, he actually wants a dog. It reminds me of my mother who I thought has always had really bad Attention Deficit and floats from one subject to another that are seemingly only related through a word or a single sentence. And there is lots of A.D.D. going on in this story.

Link to comment
On 01/07/2011 05:15 AM, Kavrik said:
LOL the dialogue of the prose flows so naturally. At one second the narrator thinks someone looks like a puppy. In the next, he actually wants a dog. It reminds me of my mother who I thought has always had really bad Attention Deficit and floats from one subject to another that are seemingly only related through a word or a single sentence. And there is lots of A.D.D. going on in this story.
If I ever try to write another story, I will try harder. I really didn't know anything about writing when I was doing this one.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..