Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,878 Words
  • 4,173 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Duty - 20. Chapter 20

Laurier House was filled with the wedding guests. It was beautifully decorated in white fabrics and roses; a string quartet performed a beautiful selection of pieces at one end and a large buffet on trestle tables stood at the other. Voices and music coming from beyond the open French doors told of the other guests, and the other entertainment that was taking place on the patio terraces that lay nestled in the gardens. Guests mingled with each other throughout the old house and Will adjusted his bow tie standing on the upper landing and looking down at them all.

There was a clinking of knives on glasses as everyone stopped to look up at him.

"Speech!" a voice yelled from the back of the hall, a distinctly Brody-esque voice.

Will smiled and blushed a moment before he began.

"Well I must say that I am very nervous about making this speech. In fact this is the fifth time today that I have got off a warm seat with pieces of paper in my hand."

"They say that being asked to be best man is very much like being asked to make love to the Queen Mother... a great honour, but no one really wants to do it."

"Joking aside, I would like to thank you Jeff for asking me to be the best man today, it really is an honour to be asked and a pleasure to fulfil the role. I'd like to thank both you and Lisa as well for the lovely present." He held up and rattled the still wrapped gift.

"I'd also like to thank Jeff and Lisa on behalf of the bridesmaids for their kind words and gifts. Candice, Veronique and Vicki do indeed look wonderful and I'm sure you'll all agree they performed their role splendidly." He waited for the applause to die down before he continued.

"It is traditional for best men to use their speech to talk of how and when they met the groom...well, it happened when I was introduced to a scruffy artist that was too tall, with hair was too long all in all I thought, hey what a poser. I guess he felt the same way about me because after only five minutes we became friends. That friendship came in handy during the time we shared another confined space years later, when Jeff allowed me to stay in his bachelor apartment while I was looking for my own place in Ottawa. The apartment was so small, Jeff found that he could cook, wash up, shave, shower, iron, answer the phone and use the toilet without even having to leave his bed."

"Although he has different parents, I still regard Jeff as my big brother, both in terms of age (albeit by a few months) and in terms of waist measurement. Marriage is a serious matter, which, shouldn't be entered into lightly, and at close to 190 pounds, Jeff certainly isn't doing that. Really, I should take this opportunity to reveal to all, Jeff's past misdemeanours, unfortunately I have played a part in most of the incriminating events, as former roommates we've always been co-conspirators and joint culprits. By disclosing everything Jeff has done, I would be implicating myself and I really don't want to tarnish my impeccable reputation. Speaking generally though, what I will say is that during our time at university when both of us were in Halifax, (there were times in the Waterfront Bar) I was not so much a brother but more of a mother to him:"

"I watched him drink from a bottle, I watched him stagger around naked, I watched him crawl, and I've dressed and undressed him. Cleaned up after him, and several times helped him to walk."

"Instead I'll talk of Jeff's achievements...so you needn't worry, its not going to be a long speech! During his time at art school Jeff achieved one important thing. Now Jeff can claim to have achieved an arm full of art awards, but the fact is he only perfected one technique in school. This involved Jeff making a poached egg and a cup of tea. Incidentally, that today remains the full extent of his culinary skills."

"But his greatest achievement has to be marrying Lisa today. Jeff, you are a very lucky groom, you've married someone who's smart and beautiful, kind-hearted, loving and caring and she deserves a good husband. So good job you married her before she found one!"

"Someone once said that marriage is a 50/50 partnership. I hope you realize that anyone who believes that, knows very little about women...or fractions!"

"But in fact Jeff and Lisa do seem to have a very caring/ sharing relationship. They compliment each other well in life's daily chores... Lisa cooks/ Jeff eats. Jeff drinks/ Lisa drives. Jeff makes a mess/ Lisa clears it up... what a great team."

"As best man my other duty today was looking after the wedding rings... I was a little concerned earlier about handing the ring over for Lisa, for fear of her ever taking it off and putting it in her jewellery box, which I know has, on at least one occasion, after a particularly heavy night out, served as a useful container for Jeff to vomit in."

"My advice to Jeff is that the key to a happy marriage is to remember to use those three little words... 'You're right dear'."

"Seriously though Jeff, your whole family is very proud of you, you have met and married someone very special and I think that you and Lisa make a perfect couple. On a personal note, Lisa has been a great friend to me over the last four and a half years. As for Jeff, well it's impossible to summarize the god knows how many years I've known him in a five-minute speech. What I would like to say is that over the years he has been the best anyone could hope for in the most supportive of friends. I'd like to offer them both the traditional Best man's wish of Good Luck Good Health, and Much Happiness."

"I'd also like to wish them both a fantastic honeymoon which I am told is the time between `I DO' and `YOU'D BETTER'."

"Finally on behalf of the bride and groom I'd like to thank you all for sharing their day and though its been said before, I invite you all to stand once more and raise your glasses in a toast to Jeff and Lisa, may they have a long happy and fruitful marriage...Jeff and Lisa."

There were cheers around the room as the glasses raised to the pair. And Will smiled down at them. They were going to have a great life together.

It was much later when Will found himself back on the stairs to make other announcements. It seemed as though he hadn't stopped in the hours since the speech. He cleared his throat, "The bride and groom will join you shortly," he said in a clear tone as the music dropped expectantly, "They are just..." he smiled and glanced back to the bedroom doors, "...Changing."

There was a ripple of knowing laughter from the crowd, Will just grinned, "At this time I would like to draw your attention to the buffet and ask that you continue to enjoy their hospitality The honeymoon precession and the throwing of the bouquet will take place as soon as they are done ..." He glanced back again, "Uh...changing."

The murmur of conversation picked up once more, and the quartet began to play an old love song, as Will walked down the stairs and rejoined the guests. He caught sight of Jared drifting through the crowd with Kerry, and he couldn't help but blink at her in the light summer dress, she looked beautiful. Some of the guests looked at the young teacher with wide eyes, others with appreciative looks of suddenly realizing there was a beautiful woman in their midst The latter came from men more often than women, and some of the women had to remind their husbands they were married.

Others started towards him, now that he had come down, and he found himself engaged in several different conversations on a variety of topics, all of which flowed around work in some fashion. He kept moving to avoid being caught in too many long conversations. There were many guests; all filling the various rooms, admiring artwork, or listening to entertainers, and all desired a moment of the best man's time. Guests included the mayor of the small town Jeff had grown up in. Professor Bryce and his lovely wife doctor Lillian Bryce two of Lisa's university professors that had made the trip from Toronto just to attend the wedding of their favourite star pupil. There was also a c list celebrity that Lisa had represented in a contract dispute, according to the local papers she was the greatest singing sensation to come out of Canada that year. It was a mixture of Poets, artisans, lawyers and financiers standing side by side conversing about the issues that faced Ottawa. And there by the far stairs was Brody, a wide grin on his face as he chatted aimlessly with one of the bridesmaids. Yet still no sign of the man he needed to talk with.

He could not see from his vantage point whether Andrew was present, but he could clearly see Lisa's father, negotiating his way towards the singing star, perhaps in an effort to get her to perform something that evening. The string quartet performing in the far corner would pale in comparison with her talent, but it would be something special on the wedding day, something to never forget.

Will stopped when he noticed that Lisa's boss; Robert Avery had fallen into step beside him. A waiter immediately offered his silver tray with a bow. Avery took a brown glass filled with wine. Walking backwards ahead of them still bowing, the servant held the tray toward Will until he shook his head, and then he melted into the crowd.

"This is a fine party. Lisa has many friends, and excellent entertainment." He said pleasantly.

Will nodded in response to the compliment. "It's taken quite a bit of preparation. We were lucky to get this hall on such short notice."

"Many friends," Mr. Avery repeated a little too quietly, "but then Lisa is the best Publicist we have."

"Of course Mister Avery," Will replied as they passed a group of women admiring an elegantly carved Ice sculpture that had been crafted by one of Jeff's art school friends. "How's business?"

Avery looked down at the young man "Excellent, Lisa has told me a lot about you, I wanted to take the time to meet you."

Will's brow furrowed, "I beg your pardon Mister Avery?" He was suddenly uncertain, had he just been hit on by Lisa's boss? If so how could he extricate himself from the situation with out seeming rude?

"You are a Human Resource Manager are you not?" Avery asked after a moments pause, "A call centre if I remember correctly. How is business going?"

"Business seems to be going well," Will replied as he regretted not accepting the wine when it had been offered. "We're going through a round of layoffs at the moment, the operations manager seems to feel that downsizing is the answer to cutting costs."

Avery stared into his wine, mulling over his words as if they held some hidden meaning. "Are you saying you don't approve of the layoffs? That you do not support your managers decision?"

"I don't recall saying anything of the kind." Will replied his unease over the conversation continued to climb.

"Yes of course," Avery replied. "You must be frustrated that your own view points are not being listened to."

Will took a deep breath to stop from telling the man angrily that he was not inferring anything by his comment. "I see that your star client is here, things must be going well for you."

"My firm represents a number of clients. I don't pay them much mind." The contempt in his voice seemed almost genuine, save for the fact that Avery was widely known to pander to his clients every whim. "You have an arts degree do you not? What made you go into business and not say, become a teacher?"

"I believe in the old saying `those that can't, teach.'." Will replied and grimaced, thinking inwardly that the conversation was sounding more and more like an interrogation on a witness stand.

Avery was studying his face almost openly, "Have you ever considered other employment opportunities?"

"I always try to keep my options open," Will replied automatically, Avery wasn't being subtle, he wanted something and Will was began to suspect this was an informal interview.

"That's good, a young man with your level of experience should keep his options open. There are always opportunities for someone with a good head for management. "

"I'm aware of my opportunities." Will replied coldly, he could detect the thinly veiled edge of anger in his voice. He hated games, and he despised it when he was the one getting played, "I prefer, however, to know what I am getting into before I commit myself to anything."

"Interesting. We must talk again at a later time, as it is I have learned a little from your conversation. I believe we may have some common ground when we talk again." He nodded as he raised his glass in a small salute, and then turned to speak to a grey haired man who wore a union pip on his lapel.

Will shook his head as he walked on, away from more conversation. It was clear that Avery was up to something, and Will vowed to discuss the matter with Lisa the moment she was free. He didn't like to have his future decided for him. And the way Avery spoke there was definitely an ulterior motive to a seemingly idle conversation.

He found himself out on one of the terraces under the brilliant moonlight of the lazy summer night. Even though the party wound down, the cake had been cut, dinner served and the speeches given, there was still a sense of celebration going on around him, he had enjoyed the reception but it was time he returned to the hunt for Andrew.

He stopped when he saw them, they were on a lower tier of the terraces, talking to a group of Lisa's cousins. Andrew had borrowed one of Will's suits and looked handsome in it. It was rare to see him dressed up, but when he did it made Will take pause. The combination of the light tan suit and Andrew's slightly ruffled blonde hair and striking blue eyes as he laughed to some joke. Will froze there as he stared down at Maria in a devastating red dress, she hung off of his arm. The temptress entwined her arms around her prize.

"Dude," Brody said as he pulled up short beside Will, the bridesmaid he had been chatting to a moment or two before held onto his hand lightly. "Isn't that your boy down there?"

Will turned his head slightly to look over his sunglasses at Brody, "not any more old man." He replied faintly.

Brody took a second glance and turned to the bridesmaid, "Can you give us a minute?"

She smiled at him sweetly and kissed him lightly on the cheek before she slipped out of his hand and back inside to the main party.

Brody cocked his head, as he watched her go, "Damn!" he said and smiled, "You know what I love about weddings? All the lace..."

Will arched an eyebrow at Brody, "Do I even want to know?"

Brody waved a hand to dismiss the question, "Never mind..." he pointed down to Andrew, "What's up with that?"

Will shook his head, "That is what I've been asking myself for days. Seems she has taken a liking to him."

Brody chewed on the observation a moment, "Girls a player is she?"

Will shook his head, "No, she knows Andrew's gay, she wouldn't..."

Maria's eyes flicked up to the two men on the upper terrace and her eyes sparkled, as she drew her self closer to Andrew possessively.

"Dude," Brody said, "Girl knows. She wants something she's not supposed to have."

Will turned his back on them and rested on the stone wall that separated the terrace from the sloped gardens, "She's too young."

"You can't fake innocent and wear a dress like that." Brody snorted, "Girl's playing him and you're just collateral damage, all so she can get a bit of attention." He grinned, "Want me to deal with it?"

Will shook his head, "Let her have him. I'm going back to the party."

Brody followed him inside, "Hell no," he said eagerly, "one rule, don't rub another mans rhubarb."

Will looked at his friend, "What are you going to do?" he asked after a moment.

"Carter you should know better than to ask that, just sit at that table over there and look pretty." Brody pointed to a table just across the dance floor.

Copyright © 2011 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I enjoyed the best man's speech, but it read a bid dry without the audience reactions. I'm assuming there was a lot of laughter at the appropriate points, along with glares from Lisa... :D

 

But then we had the ending. Will has been up with no sleep for over 36 hours, probably, so I don't blame him for giving up on Andrew without giving him a chance to explain. It's sad, but understandable... :,(

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..