Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,033 Words
  • 4,424 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Duty - 19. Chapter 19

When Brody finally pulled up in Jared's Cherokee and laid on the horn, the friends were finally ready to go. Will had leant the keys of his Jeep to Andrew, and Jeff's parents were going to follow behind the Jeep in their rented minivan. A motorcade to the church, which wasn't that far away. There was just so much preparation behind such a simple event that Will was glad he didn't have to go through it again for awhile, unless Kerry got it into her head to drag Jared down the aisle.

She was to come with Andrew in the Jeep, thankfully Will was to be spared the pleasure of her company on the ride to the church. He got into the front passenger seat and turned around to face Jeff who sat in the back next to Jared.

"Just say the word and we turn this car towards Pearson airport." He grinned, "Tijuana..."

Jeff chuckled, "Just get me to the damn church."

"Now now," Brody warned from the drivers seat as he started the motor up, "you're about to make a covenant with god, there will be no more blasphemy on this ride."

"You're a fine one to talk," Will replied rolling down his window and leaning his arm on the door frame, "The stripper?"

"Hey," Brody said with a smile, "Some one had to take care of the girl. You know you are a cold hearted man Carter." He pulled the Jeep out into the street and turned it towards the church.

"I bet you showed her how warm yours was." Jared said from the back.

"Some one had to tap that fine ass." Brody said as he accelerated.

Will winced at the crass thought and put on his pair of blue tinted sunglasses enjoying the warm weather as they wound their way through Ottawa congestion. Amidst so many changes one thing remained constant, Brody would never change who he was and that was one small blessing. At least one of them could still carry on like a seventeen year old.

"He's got a point," Jared said leaning forward.

"Shut up," Jeff remarked, "Or I tell Kerry about Mercedes."

Jared chuckled, "You do buddy and she will spill everything to Lisa in like two minutes flat. You'd be just as screwed."

"He's got you there." Will said watching as they sped past an Acura.

That was it, their last journey together all as single men. Rafik would already be at the church with his adoring wife Farah. Soon Lisa would have title deed over Jeff's soul and Kerry would lay claim to Jared's not long after that. Only Brody seemed truly safe, untouchable in that way of his. The only really free spirit among them.

Will shook his head, typical Brody though. The man didn't need anything more than his own allotment of life. He was the one who was truly content to be the rogue scholar, constantly seeking the next thrill in life. Out of them all he was the one who truly lived life. Or did he?

In the rush to idolize Brody's freedom Will had overlooked one key fact. And that was simply that Brody was out to make the right choice. It wasn't a question of time with him, but rather a question of being absolutely sure. No question at all really, he wanted someone who would challenge him. His life after all was about each moment, and not about settling.

That or a vivacious eighteen year old.

Will chuckled at that thought, as the Jeep pulled into the Church parking lot. He turned back to Jeff again.

"Last call for Tijuana..."

"Would you stop it with all the Tijuana jokes?" Jeff said frustrated, "I'm going to do this."

Will and Brody exchanged knowing looks as they all got out of the car. It was a big day for all of them.

"You okay? Feeling all right?" It was the first time Will had ever asked Jeff that.

They were in the back of the church and Jeff was ready to take his place at the altar, but the guys had taken one last chance to wish him luck.

"Yeah," Jeff said as he adjusted Will's tie. "I'm fine. Tired, but I'm fine. Thanks for coming back here, though. I was starting to freak out by myself."

He held out his hand for all of them to see it tremble. Will had never seen him shake before. Jeff was like that, generally unaffected by things. But now he ... looked good in the Kilt, despite the fact he seemed nervous. Jeff was actually nervous about it and who could blame him really. The day was a monumental step in his life, a pivotal moment in not just his relationship, but culturally as well.

"Where's the priest?" Jared asked.

"Checking the details. Making sure everything's ready."

"Making sure Lisa shows?" Brody asked and managed to sound innocent.

Jared and Jeff both smacked him at the same time.

"Shut up!"

"Brody!"

"What? I was joking!" Brody exclaimed.

"Sh!" Rafik scolded from the back pew as some of the people in the church glanced back at them.

"Mrs. Sternosti's looking," Will told them. "Guess we'd better stop mucking about, huh?"

Jared smiled innocently at her.

Jeff chuckled and glanced up at his mother. "That was fun last night. Thanks, you guys."

"Yeah, too bad we can't do it again," Brody said.

"Why? I mean it's not like--." He stopped as it dawned on him. "Oh. Yeah. You're right. But hey, we did it, right? And we'll do something for Jared's bachelor party too."

"I'm not getting married," Jared protested.

"Not something boring," Brody responded.

"Not something...," Rafik began. "I can't think of anything." He glanced back to make sure Farah, who was over talking to one of Lisa's relatives didn't hear.

"Will?" Jeff asked.

"Something memorable," Will replied to him. "That's what's important."

Will's cell phone rang and he rolled his eyes. There was always something, he took it out and slipped back into an alcove. "This had better be important." He whispered softly, as he hoped there wasn't some taboo about using a cell phone in a church.

"Will?" Lisa sounded upset, and he felt his heart dip. Not now...not when they were so close...not now...

"Lisa," he said his voice dropped even lower, this time to ensure Jeff didn't hear him, "Don't you dare tell me you're not coming..."

There was a hesitation on the line and Will's stomach clenched. "I'm just not sure about this..." she said timidly.

"Where are you?" he demanded.

"In the limo, we're circling the block, Daddy told the driver to go around again." She sounded so small.

Will stepped out of the alcove and motioned to Brody who jogged over to join him. "What's up?" Brody whispered.

Will covered the mouth piece, "Lisa, she's having cold feet. Come on I need your help."

The two slipped out of the church and walked down to the street, Will glanced up the road, "Tell your dad to pull over and let us in." He ordered, he had to be resolute. After everything they had been through he wasn't about to let it all fall apart because Lisa had cold feet. And as the Limo pulled up beside them they climbed inside.

Will refrained from thinking about the fact that it was his first time in a limousine, and focused on Lisa who looked radiant. The wedding dress was stunning, white silk and lace, a beautiful Celtic style accented with simple white lilies. It set off her auburn hair and gave her a classic Irish fairy tale look. Will couldn't help but stare at her for a moment.

"So you're not going through with it?" Brody asked her bluntly.

"I'm just not sure..." She said forlornly, as she glanced out of the window of the car as they pulled away from the church.

"This mean your single?" he asked hopefully, "Cause in that dress..."

"Shut up Brody." Will snapped, "You're supposed to be helping."

He grinned, "Can't help it, look at her!"

Will ignored Brody as he reached out to take her hand gently, "Look, I don't know very much, but I do know that you're in love with him or else you would never have set this wedding date. And I know he loves you because he wouldn't shut up about it all week. What aren't you sure of?"

She squeezed his hand, "I'm scared Will, what if this doesn't work out, what if he changes, what if I change..."

Will patted her hand, and smiled at her carefully, "So what? People change, we have all changed since we first met. But one thing seems to have been constant and that's you and Jeff. You two have been an inspiration for the rest of us. You've shown us that no matter what, love grows and changes right along with you." He stared into her eyes, "And there are a lot worse guys out there."

"Like me." Brody said as he looked out of the window to check out a girl on roller blades that skated up the street.

"Yeah we know you're a pig." Will responded.

"Don't hate me `cause I know how to play the game." Brody replied.

Will grinned at Lisa, "You're going down that aisle missy, cause you know who's going to have to sit and listen to Jeff whine and cry if you don't..." He sat back into the plush leather seat, "And I know you would too."

She nodded quietly, demurely...for the first time in as long as will had known her. Lisa was demure. He marvelled at it. She was the strongest woman he knew, forceful and opinionated on absolutely everything. And where as Farah was just a bitch, Lisa simply wasn't. She was herself.

He tapped on the glass divider that separated the driver and Lisa's father from the rear of the limo. The glass partition rolled down.

"Take us to the church." Will requested with a smile.

He breathed a little easier as the limo pulled up at the doors of the church, and both he and Brody spilled out. Lisa took a moment to compose herself as her father took her arm. The three bridesmaids were waiting and giggled at Will as he sprinted past them.

Brody paused, "Hello ladies..."

Will hesitated long enough to grab Brody's arm and pull him bodily into the church, as they made their way down to the front. Jeff stared at them a moment as Brody slid into a pew and Will climbed the last few steps breathlessly.

"She's here..." he said as he caught his breath, "And Jeff...she's beautiful."

Jeff opened his mouth to ask where Will had vanished to, but the music started up as the great rear doors of the church opened and the first bridesmaid made her way down the aisle. For all the headaches and frustrations, for all the long hours and the sleepless nights. It all came down to that moment. And Will swallowed, as he suddenly found that he was nervous as well.

The music changed tone, and all of a sudden the wedding march began. There was a hush over the crowded church as all heads turned.

Lisa was a vision of beauty in that moment; she glided down the aisle on her fathers arm proudly. All traces of the insecurities that had riddled her in the Limousine had vanished; she was once again the stable and together woman that she always was. There was no comparison to how she looked in that moment as she and her father climbed those last few steps and she joined her husband to be at the altar.

"Dearly beloved," The minister intoned, as he met them. Jeff and Lisa exchanged a nervous look between them. "We are gathered here in the sight of God to witness the union of Jeff Giorgio Sternosti and Lisa Samantha Highbury in holy matrimony."

Will stared at both of them, glancing past them and up at the stained glass window where the sun streamed down on them. It was simply a beautiful day.

Copyright © 2011 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

The calm before the storm, but I have to love Will in this chapter. He did everything just right.. It's sad that everyone seems to take advantage of him without adequate acknowledgement of what he does.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..