Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 768 Words
  • 4,162 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Duty - 8. Chapter 8

Thirty thousand feet above the Atlantic, and Will stared into the cup of coffee, the emotions subsiding from him. That sense of being overwhelmed, forcing him to react rather than act, keeping him off balance was fading as he stared into the small coffee cup labeled with the cheap charter companies logo.

Cheap coffee, cheap flight, it was typical of the company he had worked for. Typical of the man he had worked for, the hell he had endured, and for what? He hadn't set out for that, graduating from university was supposed to be the first step into his life.

Andrew was sitting listening with his well-practiced ear. Ever the lawyer in training, it some times showed in his mannerism, in those lines forming around his eyes from the long nights studying and long days spent in classes. He hadn't interrupted Will once, sitting impassive and listening, resting his hand lightly on Will's, occasionally staring past him at Brody, who remained as ever Brody.

"You could have come to me," Andrew said after Will paused, it wasn't an accusation, more it was a subtle probe, him trying to get to the bottom of what had caused such a mess.

Will couldn't look up into those eyes, they would send him back into the waves of guilt that had pushed him into a no win situation. One he had desperately sought to protect Andrew from. Strange that. Andrew was the white knight, the one that came to the rescue, and Will was the damsel in distress. Wasn't that how things were supposed to go?

He scrubbed his unshaven chin, catching sight of his reflection in the dark liquid in his cup. He looked as bad as he felt, and wondered how long he had looked that way? Probably since he accepted the position at the call center. How long had he felt that way? About the same.

"Excuse me for being a dumbass," Brody said, moving his hand back and forth, "But why the hell would you take a job like that in the first place?"

Will turned to Brody, setting the mug down on the tray table, "Why would someone normally take a job?"

It was Andrew's turn to stare down, realization dawning on him, and Brody looked puzzled, "Money?"

Will shifted in the seat, "Yeah." He replied honestly, when he had come back from university and he had moved in with Andrew it came to a choice. Will had realized they couldn't both go on to graduate school, and with Andrew already in Law School the decision had been a natural one.

Andrew's hand tightened over his, as he realized exactly what Will had sacrificed just to let him go after his dream, "I never asked you to do that..." Andrew said after a moment.

Brody frowned but chose to remain quiet, not fully understanding but Will and Andrew were doing the unspoken understanding that came with being with a person for years.

"I know," Will said softly, "but it needed to be done."

Andrew brushed his blonde hair back out of his eyes, remembering everything that had happened when Will had come back. The sale of the Mustang, and Will's starting work. Andrew had just become so caught up in school, class, life that he hadn't stopped to think about the fact the only reason he was able to go one with his dream was because Will had given up on his.

"You should have said something..." Andrew managed after a moment.

Will sighed and squared his shoulders, "What could I say?" He downed the remnants of the coffee, "And with everything else going on, could I really tell you about it?"

"What else was going on?" Andrew asked cautiously.

Brody coughed, "Uhhh before you start up again, I just want to point something out to my lawyer."

Andrew leaned around Will again, "What?"

Brody grimaced, "Dude you don't have a passport with you when we land if they don't stick you on the first plane back you're going to be camping in the terminal."

Andrew shook his head, "great I'm going to get deported."

Will relaxed a little at the lightness between them, Brody just seemed to make light of any situation no matter how bad it seemed to be. That simple brevity had a way of putting life into perspective.

"Well at least I can say I went to England... for an hour or two." Andrew rubbed his tired eyes, "But you still haven't said what happened to put all of us on this plane."

Will nodded, "ok, I'll keep going."

Copyright © 2011 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

At least they're talking about it. It's so easy to live life and miss that other things are changing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..