Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 773 Words
  • 4,449 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Duty - 23. Chapter 23

The plane had landed, and the three friends had disembarked into the airport. And Will realized with a start that for the first time in nearly eight years he was home. They were still in the terminal, but it was still England. He was home.

He stood with his shoulders slumped staring out of a window at the rain soaked world beyond. So many years of living abroad, so much time, so much of his life had just slipped by him that to actually be there again was surreal.

"This is it," Andrew said standing beside him with his hands in his pockets, "The end of the road."

Will turned, his eyes welling up as he tried to keep from breaking down in the airport, "You know I have to do this..." he said firmly.

"Why?" Andrew said staring at him, "To do what? You took this job to help me through University, but what now? You're five thousand miles away from home, and why? Because you think this is what I want?"

Will set his bag down, watching as Brody commandeered a payphone and started to make calls behind them. "We need the money Andrew, I can't say no..."

"You can." Andrew said firmly, "Or I can."

"What do you mean?" Will said looking at the man he loved, the man he had traveled five thousand miles to support, the man who had come after him...

Andrew's eyes were red and swollen, as a tear ran down his face, "Some times two people who are in love don't realize when they are hurting each other. You've put your own life on hold for me, and... I never wanted you to do that. I can't let you put your dreams on hold for me. I love you too much for that."

"But..." Will began, struggling for words.

"No buts," Andrew said sadly, "I can't let you put me ahead of your own life any more, not like this. But you're going to keep doing it as long as we're together."

Will swallowed, "I know..." he said softly. It had been said at long last, admitted. He'd put Andrew first, ahead of his own needs and as time ground on he had began to resent Andrew for it. It didn't change the love he felt, but it tainted it. It soured the things he felt, the purity of the emotions.

He reached out and drew Andrew tightly in an embrace; both knowing all too well it was the end. Finally they had both admitted it.

Andrew drew back, wiping his eyes as he looked around, "I have to figure out how to buy a ticket home... I should..."

Will nodded as Andrew started off, watching him bob through the crowd, knowing Andrew just needed some time alone. Realizing that he did too.

Brody was watching him with concerned eyes, holding up the phone and gesturing for Will to take it.

"Hello?" Will stated, staring after Andrew, swallowing back his emotion.

"Mister Carter," Robert Avery's voice was a surprise, and Will glanced at Brody in surprise, "I understand that you are considering taking a job in the United Kingdom."

"You could say that," Will replied glancing about him at the airport.

"I'd like to make you a counter offer," Avery said confidently, "One a little closer to home."

Will turned to the phone and rested a hand on top of it, "I'm sorry what?"

"I need a director of Human Resources for my Toronto office, and after meeting you and looking over your resume, I think you are the man I need for that post."

"I..." Will said in surprise, "I don't know what to say."

"Say yes Mister Carter," Avery said firmly, "You start Monday, our offices are located on Bay Street..." Will jotted down the address in stunned silence as he looked at Brody, when he finally said good-bye and hung up the phone he shook his head, "How?"

Brody smiled, "I have mad skills." He clapped a hand on Will's shoulder, "It's still going to be a move for you, but Toronto's not that far away."

Will glanced in the direction Andrew had gone, it was good news, but didn't change anything between them. It would be the career opportunity of a lifetime, but with Andrew still in school... They both had different dreams, Will had the chance of a career and a new life... and Andrew had his own future. Given time maybe they would become the same again.

He swallowed, for the time being at least they could look forward to a flight back to Canada together.

p style="text-align: center;"> THE END
Copyright © 2011 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So much about such a small amount of time, yet I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you.

 

P.S. I hope Will was lying to himself about the disparaging comments about teaching. I'd be disappointed if he really thought that.

Link to comment

Another abrupt ending, which wouldn't be bad but I am disappointed in both Andrew and Will's lack of willingness to actually sort shit out before breaking up. I expected more, better.

Link to comment

And why didn't Will talk to Brody before this and get a new job. This feels like unnecessary drama for the sake of it. I hope the next book is better.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 31/07/2012 at 11:38 AM, Rebelghost85 said:

So much about such a small amount of time, yet I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you.

 

P.S. I hope Will was lying to himself about the disparaging comments about teaching. I'd be disappointed if he really thought that.

Remember, he was exhausted at the time. He probably said things he didn't really mean when he found himself unexpectedly under pressure. 

 

55 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

And why didn't Will talk to Brody before this and get a new job. This feels like unnecessary drama for the sake of it. I hope the next book is better.

Will had spoken to Lisa about looking for a new job with her company, but Will wasn't in a fit state at the time he spoke to Mr. Avery.

 

As for Brody, I wouldn't trust him to find Will a job, especially after the way he drugged Will on Jeff's bachelor night out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..