Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 2,467 Words
  • 4,045 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Duty - 21. Chapter 21

Andrew leaned around, as they felt the plane begin its decent into Gatwick Airport, to look at Brody, who was sitting awake now listening with interest to Will telling the story of the wedding.

"Dude's my friend." He said nodding to Will in explanation, "A brother's gotta do something."

"Thanks." Andrew said, not quite certain what had been done.

Will smiled, "Ever play mouse trap?"

* * *

It was the greatest show on earth, nothing on television compared to the high drama of real life. The stage was set, the players picked out, and the curtain was about to go up. All that remained was for the star of the show to take his place and the show would begin. Will was simply a part of the audience for it. The seat Brody had chosen for him commanded a view over the entire hall. It was up on one of the raised platforms that held the buffet table. He was immediately visible to the players, but had an unobstructed view of the events that unfolded.

Brody made his way through the crowd to where Delia Anders was talking to her agent. The young diva's bodyguard, an ever-present dark shadow watched Brody approach and looked to Delia for some sign. She gave a simple nod to allow him close. Even though Will couldn't hear the conversation, he followed their body language.

Brody had introduced himself, a smooth motion for a man so used to talking to women. It didn't matter if they were famous, beautiful or unavailable, Brody had an ability to appear interesting to women. He was an enigma for them, and women seemed to love a mystery; it gave them something to uncover. But with Brody there was always another layer underneath, there was always something more for them to learn. Once he had a way in, once they had nibbled on the bait, he was always able to reel them in.

What he said to her was anyone's guess. He introduced himself, engaged her in some small talk; she seemed disinterested at the start, but his demeanour changed. He became a confidant, a conspirator. He looked over towards Will and gestured at him. She followed his hand and nodded. His hand moved again, as he pointed out Andrew and Maria still entwined about his arm. Her face became serious as she nodded again.

Brody reached into his pocket and in a flick of his wrist, much like a magician's trick, he produced a card and gave it to her agent. The agent took one look at the card and immediately pulled out his cell phone to make a call. From his excitement, Will could presume something important had just occurred, but what escaped him.

Brody bowed to Delia one last time and returned to where Will sat; the smile on his face spoke of an evil machination that had been set in motion. He had a confidence about him; the master playwright had carefully crafted a drama, and had returned to narrate it as the play unfolded before his eyes.

Will frowned at him; Brody was being careful and deliberate in his actions. "What did you say to her?"

"You ever play Mouse Trap when you were a kid, Carter?" Brody asked resting a hand on the back of Will's chair.

Will looked up, "I can't say that I have." He shrugged, "Sorry."

"Well," Brody said, "in this game you turn a crank which sets a ball rolling, that ball knocks a pipe that releases a second ball. That ball lands on a seesaw that dumps a little guy into a pool, and so on, until eventually a cage falls on the mouse." He smirked, "I just pushed the ball."

Will glanced back over to where Delia Anders was conversing earnestly with her agent. He watched as Delia's agent called Lisa's boss, Robert Avery, over to her; the two spoke for a moment in hurried whispers before he called one of his assistants over to go and fetch someone.

Moments later the assistant returned with Lisa in tow.

"What's happening?" Will asked, curiously studying the play as it began to unfold before him. He was fascinated by the intricacies of the subtle way Brody had manipulated so many people, just one domino knocking down another. It was pure chaos theory, manipulated for his benefit.

"I told Ms. Anders about the little predicament with your boy; she was sympathetic, and after a little fiscal lubrication she agreed to help."

"Fiscal lubrication?" Will asked as he glanced up at Brody. "You bribed her?"

"I offered to fund her next music video," he replied with a simple shrug. "Sound investment if you ask me, I'm going to make a mint off of promotion rights... but she is right now discussing her options with her publicists... Ah, there we go."

Brody nodded to Lisa who beamed from ear to ear. "She just agreed to represent them; this deal will be a big feather in her cap. Part of my condition to the deal was that she keeps Lisa as her legal representative. Lisa just got a high profile client for her firm and on her wedding day, too. Good for her..."

Will shook his head, "How does this...?"

"Watch and learn, Carter." He patted Will's shoulder reassuringly

Lisa moved to catch her husband as he came down the stairs to find her, and after a moment she had shared the news. The two seemed engaged in an animated discussion for a few minutes.

Brody elaborated, "Lisa just told Jeff; she is reminding him that it was her idea to invite her potential clients. It was a good idea."

Jeff didn't seem that impressed, Will thought. "He isn't going to be happy with her doing business on their wedding day..."

"Ah, there we go." Brody cut him off.

"What?" Will asked as he tried to keep up; Jeff had suddenly broken into a broad smile.

"Lisa just told Jeff how much money they stand to make from this deal," Brody explained. He straightened up and waved cheerfully as both Lisa and Jeff looked over in their direction.

"They know you're up to something," Will observed, as Jeff and Lisa separated. She returned to her client and Jeff moved off to join his parents.

"Undoubtedly, but they think I just want to get into her pants." He reached out to pick up a glass of champagne from the nearest waiter, as Jeff began to tell his parents the good news.

"So..." Will said as he looked up again, "what happens now?"

Brody nodded to Jeff, "Now he shares the good news; that I am financing the video and how much Lisa is going to make from the deal...perfect, that got her attention."

Will noted that Maria and Andrew had joined the circle. "Right," he said, still not convinced this would help him.

"There we go, she knows about the video," Brody said. "That's my cue, excuse me..." He stepped down from the table and crossed the floor with a glass of champagne in his hand as he walked up to Jeff. He offered a toast and exchanged some small talk with the immediate family.

Will watched with interest; there was no doubt that Brody knew what he was doing, but Will was still missing pieces of the bigger picture.

It came to him when Delia stepped up on stage beside the quartet. "Ladies and Gentlemen," she said, her crystal clear voice captivating the entire room, every one turning to her.

"Firstly, I wish to thank Lisa and Jeff for inviting me to this wonderful occasion. You have made me feel welcome here and to thank you I have been convinced by your generous friend Brody Levesque to perform a song to mark your very special day. Mister Levesque has also agreed to produce my next music video, so a special thank you to him." She smiled, "Could I get him to take the dance floor with his date..."

Will frowned, date? Didn't Brody...

Brody took the floor, a picture of style and flare. He extended his hands and called back to Delia, "I'm sorry I don't have a date tonight."

Delia bowed her head, "Well we are just going to have to find you a dance partner, any volunteers?"

Will had never seen so many single women vying for a chance to dance with a man at the same time. It was as if Delia had said a magic word to bring them all to life... Will had a feeling the ball had just struck a pipe.

Delia quietened them and smiled, "You, in the red dress; this is a Latin number, can you dance the meringue?"

Maria seemed surprised at being selected; she looked over at Jeff and beamed, walking confidently out onto the dance floor. And Will saw the cage drop.

The passionate music stirred as the dance floor cleared to allow Brody and the young Italian beauty room to move into its centre. The music swept up as the two set and began the over-extended motions of a meringue. Brody had a reputation among his friends of being an excellent dancer and his movement like a liquid across the floor, as the music increased its timbre, only reinforced that reputation.

Brody kept his eyes locked on his partner as he swept her back and pulled her close to him. It was exciting, and exhilarating, and Brody moved more nimbly than an eighteen- year-old. For Will, it was like witnessing Mozart perform. Brody swept Maria off of her feet.

Brody was lost in a sea of his own memories, and barely noticed the laughter that he offered out. As the music changed its beat and Delia began to sing, the pace quickened and the two dancers separated and Brody began to move his hips faster; he had spent time in the Dominican Republic, he knew the dance well and the dance had been entertainment at celebrations while he stayed there. He was moved by pure instinct now, aware that there were other dances spiralling around the two in the centre, forming the intricate patterns that Will could observe from the upper table. Brody swept off his tuxedo jacket, preferring his shirtsleeves and the red and blue tartan waistcoat underneath. Twirling and spinning in unison, Maria's dress flared out as she kept time with him.

The beat intensified; as it became more tribal, Delia's voice rose and fell as she added a voice to the passion the two dancers exchanged on the dance floor. And Will stood from his chair to walk down to the main floor; he circled the dance floor as he kept his eye firmly on Andrew, he collected a couple of glasses of champagne and made his way out onto the terrace.

Andrew turned as the crowd parted, to see Will standing under the stars watching him, those striking blue eyes that made Will's pulse quicken as they always had. He stood patiently in just his shirtsleeves in the rapidly cooling night air, just waiting.

Andrew cast a final glance towards the dance floor where Maria and Brody, now pressed together, continued to dance. And he turned his back on her.

Will lifted the second glass and offered it to Andrew. Their hands brushed as he accepted it, and there was a moment of awkward silence between them broken only by the sounds of the dance.

Will finally broke the silence as he lifted his glass, "To mouse traps."

Andrew didn't raise his glass, "This is it, isn't it?" he asked softly, a catch of emotion in his voice.

Will lowered his glass, cradling it by the stem, "Is it over?" he asked.

"I...I didn't sleep with her," Andrew said as he swallowed. "I just wanted you to know that."

Will shrugged. "This isn't about that," he said, motioning to the steps down into the garden, and followed Andrew down towards the gazebo. "This is about what you want, it's always been about that."

Andrew turned in the pale moonlight and looked at him, "I...I..."

Will reached down and picked a small flower and spun it lightly between his thumb and forefinger before he tossed it over to Andrew, who caught it deftly. He stared at it a moment before he looked up at Will.

"I've only ever wanted you," he said after a pause. "After everything we've been through..." he shrugged helplessly, "Will I've had a lot on my mind..."

Will stepped up into the gazebo and climbed up to sit on its rail; he tucked one foot up beside him and let the other dangle as he watched the man he loved a moment. He chose his words carefully.

"Times up, Andrew." He took a sip of his champagne and continued, "This is the moment where you have to choose what you want, right here. Do you want to be with me or not?"

Andrew stared back up at the brightly lit hall and then back at Will, torn between two worlds.

Will rotated the glass between his fingers as he had done to the flower only minutes before. It glittered as it reflected the light, "On one hand you have the girl, you have passion...sex." He said the word with a roll of distaste, but continued nonetheless, "On the other you have me with all my faults, but one keen advantage over her. I love you."

He smiled wryly, "I may not be a voluptuous brunette with an unquenchable appetite for men. And I'm gay, like most distinguished, moderately handsome single men my age are. And maybe I can't offer you a normal relationship, but who the hell wants to be normal anyway?"

Andrew swallowed again and Will could see the tears in his eyes again.

"Do you love me?" Will asked softly as he got down from his perch and moved closer to Andrew.

His first true love met his eyes, his mouth moved and Will strained to hear him say, "Yes..."

"That's a start," Will said calmly. "but our lives have changed, I'm not that scared little boy I was when we first met." Will nodded in understanding. "When you work it out, you know where to find me," he said softly, reaching out a finger to wipe away one of Andrew's tears. "Until then just remember that I am in love with you."

He turned and walked back up towards the house, refusing to turn around. He had to resist the urge to run back and try to say more. There was nothing he could say. Andrew had a choice to make, and that choice could only be made in his own time and in his own way. Nothing Will could say would change that.

Copyright © 2011 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Not that this wasn't a poignant scenes that choked me up but this whole situation feels forced. Andrew is GAAAAAY; even if he doesn't want to be with Carter he's not going to hook up with Jeff's slutty sister. I get that tension has been building up with Andrew but this has all been so rushed and feels more contrived than organic almost a vehicle for Brody's witty quips than anything else.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I found that to be beautiful. Brody is a maestro of manipulation, setting things up for Will. Will in turn, has finally said enough is enough. It's his turn to be put first, and now Andrew has to decide what to do. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..