Jump to content
    Topher Lydon
  • Author
  • 878 Words
  • 4,616 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Carter's Duty - 4. Chapter 4

"Don't go!" Andrew repeated slipping his hands into his battered leather jacket and affixing those hurt eyes on Will's face.

Will stood stock still, one hand holding onto his tickets, the other his carry on bag. He stood there for an eternity, torn between what he knew was right, and what he felt was very wrong.

Andrew's puzzled expression eased slightly seeing the distress Will was in. What ever had driven him to this action... this utterly insane choice, he was suffering for it. And every instinct inside of Andrew made him want to sweep the man he loved up into his arms and protect him.

But protect him from what?

"H-how-?" Will managed as his eyes filled with tears, a man of twenty five reduced to tears by the weight of everything crashing down upon him at once.

Andrew took a step forward and pulled Will into an embrace drawing him against his chest, there was so much he wanted to say, so much he could say but nothing he could say would help right then...except...

"I love you." He stated firmly, "Even if you are an idiot some times."

"I-I know..." Will managed dropping the bag as his arms went around Andrew's waist, "I don't know what to do..."

"Excuse me, sir..." The stewardess was hesitant to interrupt, she gave Andrew a sympathetic look, "But if you are going then you have to get on the plane..."

"He's not going..." Andrew said resolutely.

"I have to." Will stated with a sniff as he stepped out of the embrace and picked up his bag, "I wasn't given a choice, I have to."

Andrew stared at him, and then up at the boarding ramp, "What's going on?" He asked again, desperately.

Will shook his head, the pain already seeping into his every action. He was being torn apart and he knew it, but he didn't have a choice he had to go. He bent down and picked up his bag, and closed his eyes to the pain as he turned to walk to the boarding ramp.

Andrew stood in quiet shock staring up at the doors as the stewardess moved to close them.

"Stop!" Brody yelled out, his long strides covering the distance to the lounge, grabbing Andrew by the arm as he ran, holding up a pair of tickets to the stewardess and flashing his passport so fast they didn't have a chance to looks at it properly.

"What?" Andrew asked in surprise as he found himself all but dragged onto a Boeing 747 destined to cross the Atlantic.

"Do you really think,' Brody panted, "I am going to let Carter get away with..." He held up a finger to catch his breath, "pulling a stunt like this?"

Everyone on the plane was staring back at the two of them as a Stewardess took their tickets and showed them to their seats. Will staring in utter shock as the two of them were seated on either side of him on the plane.

Brody smiled and winked at the stewardess as he buckled his seatbelt turning to Will beside him, he reached up to cuff his swiftly to the back of his head, "idiot do you realize how much you just cost me?"

Will ignored the blow as he slumped into his seat, "Why are you doing this?"

"I think I'm the one who should be asking that question." Andrew stated as he stared at his seatbelt in confusion and looked questioningly at Brody, who demonstrated to him with an exasperated sigh at hockey players.

Will deflated like a burst balloon, as he rested his head back on the seat and stared up at the baggage compartment above him, "I don't have a choice, work... reassigned me."

"They reassigned you?" Andrew asked, confused as to how that could possibly lead to Will getting on a plane without so much as a word to him.

"I fucked up." Will said, letting his head roll to the left so that he could see Andrew clearly, "I fucked up and they screwed me."

"Ok," Andrew said feeling the plane begin to taxi for a take off, and he had that momentary sensation of panic as he realized this was his first time on an airplane. "That still doesn't explain why you didn't try to talk to me."

"H-how did you find out?" Will asked hesitantly.

"You're assistant Alicia, she thinks the world of you and called me before she picked you up." Andrew folded his arms, "Strange as this may sound Carter, you do have friends that care about you. And even stranger, you have a boyfriend that loves you."

"I-I didn't want to hurt you." Will stated firmly, "I thought if I just left it would be easier..."

"You remember when you first tried that tactic on me?" Andrew said looking at him sternly, "It was when we first started dating and you thought you were protecting me by pushing me away... it didn't work then and it isn't going to work now."

Will sighed a ragged sigh, "It's just so screwed up."

"So," Andrew said resting a hand on Will's, "We have a seven hour flight, you have plenty of time to explain it to me."

Copyright © 2011 Christopher Patrick Lydon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Work reassigned him to another country? Now I want to know why...

Link to comment
On 3/27/2018 at 5:26 AM, Graeme said:

Work reassigned him to another country? Now I want to know why...

Yeah, although maybe it's a multinational and they liked his British  passport?   Doesn't seem to make sense for a middle management in a call centre.  I guess we'll find out. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..