Jump to content
    totallyy
  • Author
  • 1,742 Words
  • 2,437 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Intern - 1. Chapter 1

Prompt 250: First Sentence: "Here we go again!"

Here we go again, I mused, a bunch of freshly graduated ass-kissing interns looking to snake their way up to the top.

The minute hand of the clock on the wall inched its way to 8 a.m.

Anytime now, I scowled, they’d ambush me with their crisp, ironed shirts and shined shoes.

Some days, I hated my job.

Voices and footsteps approached the door simultaneously.

7:51 a.m.

The conversations lowered into a hushed whisper, ceasing altogether with the halted footsteps.

7:52 a.m.

Hushed discussion seeped through the frosted glass doors. I rolled my eyes impatiently. I tapped my foot, audibly.

7:53 a.m.

The muttering died down once more. A footstep echoed against the marble.

Come on, grow some balls already.

7:54 a.m.

A deep breath in and a deep breath out.

7:55 a.m.

The double-doors swung towards me, opening to reveal a mob of twenty-somethings, hair-slicked, fresh-faced, hunger burning in their eyes.

And some days, I loved it.

I grinned, Let the games begin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Today marks the beginning of the rest of your careers. The next three months will be hell on earth. They will be a gateway. Succeed, and your dreams await you on the other side. Fail, and you’ll be forgotten,” I paused. “You’re nobodies. You’re grunts. You will do all the work and see none of the reward. You’ll fetch coffee. You’ll write reports. You’ll shine shoes if you have to. You’ll type until your fingers blister and then some more. You will work until you fall asleep with drool dripping from your chins in front of your desk. You will not set foot out of this office for days on end…”

Nods of affirmation peppered the crowd while some shoulders sunk, eyes overcast with worry. A handful seemed to grow taller with every threat, challenged, hungry.

I wonder how long before they break, I smirked.

“You will receive your assignment in a couple of minutes when the executives come down to fetch you,” I mocked.

I looked down at the envelope that Human Resources had passed me the day before, a name stamped across the top of the envelope.

Fresh meat, I mused, he won’t know what he’s in for.

“Brooks, Tyler,” I announced, scanning through the crowd for a look of recognition.

There was a silence for a moment. A slight movement caught my eye: a tall blonde with broad shoulders clad in a well-fitted suit drove his elbow into the side of a smaller man. The yelp that was produced almost stole a laugh from me.

“That’s me,” he muttered, shooting murderous glances at the chuckling blonde between looking thoroughly embarrassed.

“You’re with me,” I said, narrowing my eyes with him as I pulled my mouth into a menacing grin.

This was going to be fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyler’s mousy brown hair, expressive brown eyes and delicate features hid his brilliance behind a faux sense of awkwardness. His work was impeccable: reports error-free, meetings punctual and he had a keen sense of knowing what I wanted before I even asked. In other words, it was infuriating.

“Coffee?” Tyler offered, a cup of Starbucks in his outstretched hand.

I nodded, picked it from his hand and took a sip: a double shot of espresso, no sugar, no cream. It was just the way I liked it. I sighed. I watched Tyler watch me out of the corner of my eye, his lips curling into a smile.

“The reports,” I demanded.

“Oh right, they’re on your desk,” he replied, calm and cool, leaning back a little more against the door.

I hesitated. I had run out of ways torture him. He had met every daunting task I threw at him with the same impossible standard. He smirked, as if he knew the predicament he had put me in.

“So, run me through the schedule for the day?” I asked, resigned to his brilliance.

“Oh…,” he stuttered, as though surprised, “Uhm…m… sure.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His head was thrown back in laughter, punching the tall blonde, Brad, in the shoulder. I watched the scene through the window from my office; they talked animatedly. The joy melted off Brad’s face as he nudged Tyler and darted his eyes in my direction. Curious, Tyler turned his eyes towards me. Caught by surprise, I waved him over.

The door opened as he poked his head in.

“Uh… Mr Wyatt?” he asked.

“Right, Tyler. I need you to go down to the archives and fetch me these dossiers whenever you’re available,” I said, emphasising heavily on the last word, handing him the list of names.

He blushed and stuttered, “Uh… sure… right away sir.”

He turned and walked off, shoulders hunched, with Brad giggling as he watched Tyler approach.

That’s better, I thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mondays, I sighed.

I shrugged off my blazer and draped it over my chair.

“How was your weekend?” Tyler asked perkily as he slipped through the glass door.

I raised my eyebrow at him.

“Fine,” I answered curtly.

He nodded, a smile plastered across his face. His cheery demeanour on a dreary Monday morning intrigued me.

“How was yours?” I asked, the question sitting uncomfortably in the air.

Surprise replaced the smile in an instant. Red painted his cheeks.

“It was fine,” he replied bashfully.

“Was it someone special?” I probed, the question bypassing my brain.

The flush on his cheeks deepened. No other answer was needed.

“Well… let’s get started shall we?” I said.

He blushes easily, I noticed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8:01 a.m.

The door swung open. Tyler burst into my office, eyes wide, hair mussed-up, suit wrinkled. He looked at me, face pulled straight, as though bracing for impact. Laughter overcame me, his shock at my reaction further feeding the hilarity of the situation.

“Mr Wyatt?” he probed, worry creasing his forehead.

Recovering from the fits of laughter, I strode over to him. His eyes widened, in fear.

It looks so soft, I thought.

My hand froze in mid-air; I had unintentionally reached out to comb my fingers through his hair. I settled for his shoulder, brushing off a piece of lint. I averted my eyes from his.

Clearing my throat, I announced, “Let’s begin.”

As I settled into my chair, I saw that he had made no attempt to move, looking as uneasy, if not possibly more so than when he arrived.

I softened my tone, “It’s alright.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyler poked his head into my office.

“Hmm?” I mumbled, continuing my rapid typing.

“Uhm… mm… it’s lunch,” he stuttered.

“Oh,” I checked my watch, and replied, “Sure, go ahead.”

Turning back to my screen, I noticed he walked into the office.

I looked at him and raised my eyebrow.

“Uhm…mm… did you want something for lunch?” he asked, hints of pink appearing on his cheeks.

“Uh… no –“ I replied.

“Actually, I already got something for you,” he blurted, producing a paper bag that he had been hiding behind him, red blooming over his cheeks.

“Oh,” I said, taken aback.

He fidgeted.

“It’s just that I’ve seen you get absorbed into your work and not eat. I don’t think that’s healthy, sir,” he explained urgently.

Warmth blossomed in my stomach as I gathered my wits and gestured to the seat across my desk.

“Thanks,” I managed to say, discomfort slithering under my skin.

Tyler took a seat and took out the two sandwiches from the paper bag. He held both out.

“Chicken salad or roast beef?” he asked.

“Either,” I dismissed.

“Chicken salad or roast beef?” he repeated insistently.

I chuckled.

“Roast beef,” I replied, taking the sandwich from him.

“Thanks,” I said again, as I took a bite.

I watched as he took a bite out of his own sandwich, eyes darting nervously around the room.

“So… how old are you again?” I asked, broaching the uncomfortable tension.

“25,” he replied.

I cocked an eyebrow.

“Yes, really,” he insisted, rolling his eyes.

I chuckled.

“Where were you before this?” I asked again.

“Oh…,” he began, breaking into a story, the worry melting from his demeanour.

I watched his animated expressions and gestures as he recounted his previous job and college experiences. The tension in the room dissolved into an amicable truce. I immersed myself in the conversation, surprised that I was truly interested in what he had to say.

Flecks of gold swam in the pools of warm chocolate. I lost myself in their intricate dance, the light reflecting off those bits of colour. They shifted as he spoke, his words: the melody, to which they moved. Suddenly, they stopped moving.

“Sir?” Tyler asked, noticing that my mind had wandered off.

“You can call me Blake,” I replied, the words leaving my own mouth startling me.

Tyler fell silent, looking at his own hands as a blush threatened to overcome him.

“I think we’re done here,” I said.

“Oh,” he gasped.

“Tyler, set up for my next appointment,” I instructed.

“Oh…,” he said, relief smoothing over the lines on his forehead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Uh… Mr. W- Blake?” Tyler mumbled.

“Yeah?” I asked.

I looked up to see Brad nudging Tyler, a sly grin plastered across his face. Tyler’s face was completely flushed. An aggressive force leapt from the pits of my stomach as I shot Brad one of my withering glowers. He retreated, the smug smile wiped clean off his face.

“I just want…ted to get you to…to read this through,” he stammered, gesturing at his computer screen.

I leaned over his shoulder, reading the lines of print.

He smells good, the thought wormed its way into my head.

The hints of coffee on his breath, detergent and his deodorant fused to form this addictive scent that left me wanting more. I had to physically restrain myself from burying my nose in his neck and inhaling; I tightened my grip on the end of the table.

“Blake, you alright?” he asked, concerned.

“Yeah I’m fine,” I yelped, “The report’s fine too.”

Retreating hastily, I knocked over the coffee on his desk onto myself, the patch of brown claiming more and more of my white shirt.

“Fuck,” I cussed.

I froze, the searing heat burning my skin like an iron brand as Tyler dabbed against the stain with tissues. The heat spread along my skin and blood rushed to my head.

“Uh… Blake,” he whispered, embarrassed, eyes darting downwards.

I brought my eyes to the object of his attention.

I definitely have to fire him now, I sighed.

Prompt 250: First Sentence: "Here we go again!"
Copyright © 2013 totallyy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/05/2013 01:49 AM, said:
Great job! I hope you continue. *pointed look*
thanks! :D

 

hahahahah. i have commitment issues.

 

it's not a definite "no" in terms of possibility but....

 

Thanks for the review!

Link to comment

This is great its funny, who knew the tyrant was human. that last statement just begs for a whole mother chapter,,I really hope you continue this.

Link to comment

No, no, no, you can't stop here. They are way too cute to be restricted to this one shot. :(

 

Way really nice story. Sweet, warm, cute and yeah, funny too. :D

Link to comment
On 08/05/2013 02:28 AM, Daithi said:
This is great its funny, who knew the tyrant was human. that last statement just begs for a whole mother chapter,,I really hope you continue this.
Thanks! Humour is not really my forte. So I'm glad it tickled you.

 

A second part is now slamming around in my head so hopefully, I'll get it out soon. We're all dying to see what Blake's going to get up to. Myself included. ;)

Link to comment
On 08/05/2013 03:04 AM, Ieshwar said:
No, no, no, you can't stop here. They are way too cute to be restricted to this one shot. :(

 

Way really nice story. Sweet, warm, cute and yeah, funny too. :D

Hahahahah thank you! :)

 

Well... an idea for the second part's still brewing but I'll get it down on paper soon enough. I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

Link to comment
On 08/05/2013 05:14 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Intrigued. You can't stop now!
Thank you! :) A second part might just be round the corner.
Link to comment

To repeat: This is a great beginning. Expand. Expand. Expand. I think we'd all love to see what happens next. Great work. :)

Link to comment
On 08/06/2013 06:24 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
To repeat: This is a great beginning. Expand. Expand. Expand. I think we'd all love to see what happens next. Great work. :)
Thanks for the great review :D
Link to comment
On 08/06/2013 06:57 AM, joann414 said:
A second part BETTER be just around the corner. This is great!
It's coming, it's coming. :)

 

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Link to comment

So you have commitment issues - doesn't mean you can't have an on again off again thing with Blake and Tyler. Keep em on the back burner between inspirations. Nothing says you HAVE to post every day, week, or even month for that matter. Just find someone nice and sturdy to hide behind when people start badgering you to write faster!

Link to comment
On 08/10/2013 11:40 PM, Kitt said:
So you have commitment issues - doesn't mean you can't have an on again off again thing with Blake and Tyler. Keep em on the back burner between inspirations. Nothing says you HAVE to post every day, week, or even month for that matter. Just find someone nice and sturdy to hide behind when people start badgering you to write faster!
:hug: i will definitely find some hole to crawl into. thanks for understanding!
Link to comment

Tyler became all to friendly, crossed the line. And, yes id fire him, hot or not. Work is work, not a social club.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..