Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Chaos Lives in Everything - 18. Chapter 18

He stood on top of the mountain looking out at the landscape of snow and death. He wanted to scream in frustration, scream so loud that his voice stretched over the frozen wasteland. I've been here too many times, he thought. He looked over at his sword, the sword that he had used to kill Paladin and so many others. There the single drop of blood was, forming at the tip of the blade, about to fall.

"Skold..."

The voice came from behind, riding the wind, a ghostly whisper. This was new. He turned, his heart beat rising. He was excited. Was it? Would he finally discover the answer to the riddle?

A woman stood behind him, her dress billowing behind her. It shimmered, almost the exact same color as the snow. Her hair was vivid red and glowed like a bleeding sunset. "Skold," she whispered again. He knew what she was. Witch, healer, dreamwalker, seer.

"Why have you come to me, seer?" he asked.

"To give you the next piece of the puzzle." She walked towards him, stopping so that they only had a few feet away from him.

Skold was confused. Nothing made complete sense in this dreamworld where the truth could be mixed with lies, where reality could be mixed with. "The puzzle?"

"The job that Reynolds hired you for. You are closer than you think but you also have a long way to go."

"Why would such matters concern a seer?"

"You know. You've felt it. You can feel it now, in your bones."

"Something is coming," said Skold. "Something big. Alright then. What is it that you want to tell me?"

"The friend that you call Marcus, you do not know him as well as you think. He goes by a different name. His real name is Seras. He used to be Paladin's right hand man. He was his advisor. Go to him. Confront him with this information. He will lead you to where you need to go."

And then Skold awoke his body entangled with Dom's. They were laying in Dom's bed. How they had gotten there he didn't know. The last thing he remembered was falling asleep in the snow. Dom must have woken up at some point and carried him in.

Skold rolled over and studied Dom's face. Dom slept peacefully, a deep snore sounding from inside his chest. Skold wanted to lay his head over Dom's chest and listen to his heart. Skold sat up quickly, frowning. Something is not right. I feel...different. He didn't know what it was and he couldn't explain it; he just knew that something was different. There was also the dream. A seer had come to tell him something in his dream. She had left him a clue. The words danced at the of his mind, teasing him, close to the surface. He sighed and fell back into the bed. He knew they would come back to him.

Eventually, he thought.

 

Dom rolled over and found that the other half of the bed was empty. Figures, he thought. Just when I thought I was starting to enjoy Skold's company he leaves.

He rolled over again, facing the window. The curtains were pulled back so that he could see the pond. It was now frozen over with ice, the surface dusted with snow. There Skold stood, completely still, dressed in black, his arms folded over his chest. Dom was pleased. Skold had not left after all.

He climbed out of bed tossing the covers aside. The bed springs creaked wearily beneath his weight. I need to get a better bed. He got dressed and stepped out into the cold. The snow was hard beneath his feet and made a brisk crunching sound. This morning was cold, as cold and silent and still as Skold was now. Once they were standing by side he waited silently, not wanting to disturb Skold's thoughts.

"I like it here," Skold said after a moment. "It's quiet."

Dom studied his face. There was something different about Skold. He couldn't quite figure out what it was but it was there, somewhere under the surface, waiting to come up. He could feel it in the air. It hovered around Skold like an invisible mist. He felt the sudden strange urge to caress Skold's cheek again but forced himself not to. He had to remind himself that his attraction to Skold was as dangerous as Skold himself.

"I do too."

Now Skold did look at him. A small smile touched his lips. There was no sarcasm in it, just a smile. That was the difference. It was so signifigant that Dom did not know how he had missed it. There was expression in Skold's face. There was emotion.

"Something happened to me last night," said Skold. He hesitated for a moment, looking uncertain, maybe even a little frightened and added, "When you were inside me."

Those words sent an involuntary shiver up Dom's spine. When you were inside me. He felt his cock twitch and remembered how it had felt to slide into Skold. Never in all of the time that he had been alive, all of the countless lovers, had he felt anything like it.

"I don't feel so...numb." Skold's brows furrowed as he said numb, as if the word was alien to him. "Thank you for last night. I rather enjoyed it."

Now it was Dom's turn to smile. "Thank you. I aim to please."

"Spectacular." Skold pulled out his cell phone. "I better call Rebecca and let her know."

"A seer paid me a visit last night in my sleep."

"Did she? That's interesting."

"Very much so. What she told me is very more interesting. She gave me a lead. An aquaintance of mine owns a club here in the city called The Harbinger. Have you been there yet?"

"No."

"Do you want to?"

"If I get to go with you then yes."

 

Rebecca sat on her bed, drinking her coffee; she felt a little sore and a whole lot of happy. Melanie had done things to her that no other had. And after they'd had breakfast together-eggs benedict and orange juice; Melanie was one mean cook-and right before Rebecca walked out the door, Melanie slipped her a pink Post-It note with her phone number written in green Sharpie.

Don't be a stranger. Call me soon, please. I want to see you again.

The sex had been great. Even better than great. Melanie had pleasured Rebecca with a skill unlike anything that she had ever experienced before. But even better than the sex had been the conversation that followed afterwards. She'd learn that they had more in common than she'd expected.

Do you have any family, Rebecca?

No.

I don't either. When I told them I was gay they disowned me, told me to leave the house and never come back. So I did and I never looked back.

Neither did I.

I believe that in the end, the only family that truly matters, the only family that won't fuck you over as much as your own blood, is the one that you make. The people that come into your life because they want to be in your life. Not because they feel they have to be.

Totally.

Now she held the Post-It note in her hand; she'd read the number a hundred times even though she'd already memorized it. She traced the numbers with her index fingers. Melanie had beautiful handwriting.

Her cell phone began to vibrate. She reached over excitedly without looking at the collar ID, thinking that it was Melanie. But when she answered it was Skold's voice that replied back.

"I have a new lead," he said.

"Really? What is it?" It was an effort to keep the disappointment out of her voice.

He explained to her about how the seer, the very seer that had come to her and Dom, had visited him in a dream, telling him to speak to someone at a club called The Harbinger. Rebecca was familiar with the place. Even though she had never been there she'd heard of it. There'd been several humans stupid enough to try and get in and they'd all ended up in body bags, their pictures in the obituaries.

Rebecca also noted that Skold's voice sounded different. She couldn't exactly tell what it was, but it was there all of the same.

"You want me to go with?"

"If you want. The Harbinger and the side of the city that it is in is very dangerous. It wouldn't be safe for you."

She bit her lip for a moment, thinking. While she wasn't exactly ready to throw herself in the middle of another life or death situation she wanted to know what was going on. And she did like the fact that she had something of value to contribute to Skold's efforts. She was a private investigator and a hacker, skills that could come in handy when needed.

"I'll go," she said.

Skold actually sounded pleased. "Very well. I will pick you up this evening around six."

 

“So what do you want me to do?” Rebecca asked. She watched the front of the club nervously from the back seat of Skold’s Mustang. Just now a mixed group of Fae were disappearing through the doors which was immediately pulled shut from behind them.

“You could watch the car,” Skold said with the flicker of a smile. Dom was sitting in the passenger seat. He had to bow his head a little bit to keep it from touching the ceiling of the car. His chair was leaned back as far as it could go. He looked very uncomfortable.

“Are you serious?”

“Yes I’m serious. You can’t go in there, it’s an all male-club. And if the fae were to sense that you were ”human, which they would, then you would die. You are much safer in here.”

Since when did you care about my safety? Rebecca thought, frowning. She was still confused. What had happened to Skold? He didn’t seem as cold or sarcastic. There was something like emotion in his face. But it wasn’t just Skold it was Dom too. Something had happened in between them, she could sense it. What it was she could only imagine.

“So you brought me along just so that I could sit in the car? I could’ve stayed at home.”

“I would not advise it, not with Bajork after you.”

Rebecca snorted. “In which case means that I need a babysitter?”

“You came for me protection, did you not?” Skold asked, not impatiently.

“I did.”

“I’m trying to give that to you. At lease here Dom and I are close by to you. If anything should happen while you are waiting, all you would have do is call me and we would be right there. Also there’s this.” Skold handed her a Glock. “It is imperative that you start carrying a gun on you at all times.”

“I hate guns.”

“A gun could mean the difference between life and death, Rebecca,” Skold said firmly. “Take it. Do not argue with me further.”

Rebecca nodded and set the gun down beside her.

“We will try to make this quick,” said Skold. “Alright Dom, let’s go.”

“Good,” Dom said with a sigh of relief. “You’re car is so...tiny.”

“It’s not my fault you’re the size of a whale,” Skold shot back, flashing him a look of annoyance.

They climbed out of the car. The Mustang seemed to give an almost human sigh of relief, freed from Dom’s weight. Rebecca watched them cross the street. Skold and Dom pushed the doors to The Harbinger and stepped through them. Rebecca hoped that Skold would keep his promise and hurry back.

 

“Do you think this friend of yours is going to give you any trouble?” Dom asked. He had no trouble being heard over the pounding bass music.

“There is no way of knowing,” Skold answered. “If he truly is who the seer said he is then we could be dealing with someone very very dangerous.”

They made their way through the crowd, heading towards the set of doors on the side of the room. Hands reached out running across the front of Skold’s red leather vest. Eyes watched him lustfully. The air was hot with the smell of sweat and cum.

“How could I have missed this?” Dom asked, his eyes scanning the dance floor.

Skold stepped around a large orc. “As I said I come here quite often. This place is full of temptation.”

“Nothing in this place is as tempting as you are.”

Skold stopped and turned so abruptly that Dominyc almost walked into him. Skold’s eyes glimmered in the dim lighting. There was that look of confusion and fear again. “What did you do to me last night?”

Now it was Dom’s turn to be confused. “I don’t understand your question.”

“Something happened last night...between us. Didn’t you feel it?”

“I felt something last night.” Dom reached out and carressed Skold’s cheek. “Something that I’ve never felt before with anyone that I’ve been with. I can’t describe it. It was like...”

“Transcendence,” Skold whispered. He shivered at Dom’s touch, his eyes half-closed. Goosebumps broke out along his hairless forearms. He could not resist the power that Dom’s touch had on him. “You did something to me...I feel different. I feel things. I’m afraid what that might mean. It’s been so long...since I’ve felt anything.” He shook himself from his drugged state. “We have to stay focused. There are things that we came here to do.”

At long last they reached the double doors. Marcus’s office was at the end of a long corridor guarded by two elf bouncers.

“I would like to see Marcus,” said Skold to the bouncers.

“What is your business with him?” the first bouncer asked. They both eyed Dominyc wearily.

“That is none of your concern.”

“I’m afraid that he is not able to see anyone right now. You will have to come back another time.”

Skold’s patience was deteriorating quickly. He reached behind him for a dagger, his jaw clenched. The door to the office opened and Marcus’s head poked out. He smiled at the sight of Skold.

“Gentlemen, please do let Skold and his friend in. There is no need to be rude. Skold is a good aquaintance of mine. Skold, do me the honor of coming into my office, won’t you?”

Skold glared at the boucncers as he and Dom passed them.

Marcus closed the door behind them. "Sorry about that. Apparently my staff need a lesson in manners." He smiled at Dom. "Who might you be?"

"Dominyc," Dom replied gruffly.

"You must be new to town for I have not seen you around yet. Where is your homeland?"

"Scotland."

"Scotland!" Marcus exclaimed. "It must be hard for you, knowing that your homeland is being ripped apart by war. No less, welcome to Roc City. May the citizens of this town treat you well. Can I offer you a glass of wine?"

"No," Skold said sharply, crossing his arms over his chest. "We will not be staying long. A seer came to me in my dreams."

"Really?" Marcus said with interest. "That must have been a pretty jarring experience. So few of us have encountered a seer before. And what made you feel the need to come to me to share this occasion?"

"She talked about you, gave me a clue. Apparently you are not who you say you are. Your real name is Marcus and you used to be Paladin's advisor." Skold's voice rose slowly with each word, his eyes burning brighter and brighter as his anger built. He could not reign it back. He did not want to reign it back. "Explain yourself. And I pray that the spirits in Vahalia save you if you lie to me."

Marcus was no longer smiling. Gone was his confidence and the enthusiasm that came with being a business man. Now he looked reproachful, like a thief that has been busted red handed. "It is true. I have a different name but it is not a name I use anymore. And yes, I was Paladin's advisor, his mentor you might even say. But those days are long gone. I am no longer in the business of warfare. My occupation is entertainment."

"And you didn't think to tell me this after all of the conversations we've had?"

"I did not think that it would matter to you so," said Marcus. "And I thought it would be unwise to tell you given your past with Paladin?"

"It was even more unwise to lie to me. So then, tell me this: Why would a seer tell me to come to you? What knowlege might you have of this troll attack? Tell me."

"Honestly I have nothing. I am not involved."

"Bullshit," Dom said. For the last few minutes he had let Skold do the talking. This was the only imput that he had to offer.

"You have a motive," said Skold. "Having been Paladin's loyal advisor and all. Perhaps you want to start what he was never able to finish. Start another war."

"Do not look at my past so quickly, Skold," Paladin hissed angerily, his violet eyes flashing. "It was you that deserted your own people to go learn the damnable arts of death magic. If anyone would be angry enough to start a war that could destroy every being on the planet it would be you."

Skold offered no defense in his own right, for Paladin had just made a valid point. So King Yaldon and his older sister Candestine had not been the only ones to think this. This was where his reputation lay, not just as a disgusting eunuch, a traitor to his people, but an anarchist. And what if they were right to think this way of his? What if that had been his reason for learning death magic? Skold did not know because he could not remember. All he knew was that he had to get out of Marcus's office before he did something foolish; all he could think about was snapping Marcus's neck. Fuck the consequences that it would have on him.

But Skold resisted the urge. Despite the fact that Skold had killed Paladin long ago that did not mean that Marcus was not a dangerous foe. Killing him would only start more chaos and there was enough of that going around as it was.

"What is your real name?" he asked.

"Samhein," Marcus answered, clearing his throat. "As I said I no longer go by that name anymore."

"You better not be lying to me Marcus," Skold said, his voice dropping to a dangerous whisper. "Because if so I will come back for your head."

As they walked out of the club Dom said, "Do you really think he was telling the truth about not having any involvement?"

"No."

"So you think he was lying?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I doubt that the seer would have sent me to him if she did not know that he was involved or knew the person that is involved. He's apart of this conspiracy."

"Why didn't you kill him?" Dom asked.

"Because I'm waiting for him to reveal himself," Skold replied. "It's only a matter of time."

2017 Valentine Davis
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I feel as if Skold is gathering his team and preparing for a final showdown.  Damn, who knew that sex with Dom was so good it could alter the fundamental makeup of Skold in some manner. 

 

You switched the name of people incorrectly a couple of times; you might want to go back and update the chapter to correct it...  The seer said that Marcus's real name was Seras but he said is was Samhein.  You also called Skold Paladin at one point and Marcus Paladin at one point. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..