Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Chaos Lives in Everything - 32. Chapter 32

By nature Reynolds was not a people person; he disliked standing in crowds even more. Especially when most of the people in the crowd were reporters.

He clutched the edge of the podium trying to maintain a presence of composure, of power; he was in charge of the entire RCPD department. It was his job to make sure that every cog and wheel was polished and ran smoothely and functioned as it was supposed to. But inside he was scared, so scared that he felt sick to his stomach, and he was tired. He was tired of talking about this business with the troll which had happened two weeks ago.

Yet now that corpses were starting to drag themselves out of their graves and people were coming up missing on a city-wide scale, the citizens had something new to fear and they wanted answers. In their eyes he was the one that had all of the answers. He’d been standing here for the last hour, answering question after question with camera flashing in his face. Now all he wanted to do was go home and be with Anne, Anne who had been at home alone so much lately.

Are these strange occurance in relation with the troll attack that happened two weeks ago?

We aren’t sure just yet but it is a serious possibility. We’re investigating everything as fast as we can.

What leads have you found so far?

That is information that I cannot share with public at this time in fear that whoever is causing this is listening.

So you think that some is causing this?

Yes, I do. Without a doubt.

And standing in front of the crowd eyeballing him was Ivanka Prescott, the mayor of Roc City. Even from where he stood, Reynolds could see the thoughts etched in her face: She thought this was his fault. She thought this was his doing. Well fuck her, he thought, his hands were tied and he already had more on his plate than he could handle.

It must be nice to put all of the blame on the chief of police, he thought resentfully. That way so you don’t have to take any responsibility for the damage that is done. He immediately felt guilty for thinking of her in such a way. Her job was just as important as his if not more.

Still, he decided that he was done with answering questions; he was going home to be with his wife. And on top of it he was calling in tomorrow. Someone else could deal with this crap for a day.

“I’m sorry, that’s all for this time.”

Reynolds walked away amidst a flood of camera flashes and shouting. He turned his back to it all, ignoring it. Unfortunantly the mayor was right behind him, her high heels clicking away.

“Sergeant Reynolds!” she hollared after him.

He forced himself to look polite and turned. “Yes, mayor.”

At forty-five Ivanka was short, barely standing over five feet. With glossy blonde hair and baby blue eyes, she looked like she could have been a model for Sports Illustrator. Even at her age. But no one could miss the authority in her posture or tone. Behind the lipstick and expensive designer clothes was a woman made of steel. She was in charge and she wouldn’t hesitate to remind you of that later. Despite the fact that she could be the biggest pain in the ass, Reynolds liked working for her and he liked her on a personal level; a personal level that had nothing to do with sexual interest. She demanded a lot but she gave just as much back in return.

“Please tell me that you’re close to getting some real answers,” she said, her breath coming out in a silvery mist.

“We’re doing everything that we can, ma’am.”

“I’ve told you a million times not to call me ma’am. I told you to call me by my name, Ivanka. And that’s not good enough. I need more. The city council is getting more and more restless and they’ve pretty much nailed my ass to the board.”

“I’ve hired someone looking into it,” he said. “Someone who’s qualifications go beyond anyone in the police department.”

“Who?”

He raised an eyebrow. “You know.”

Ivanka laughed coldly. “You’re fucking with me, right? The bounty hunter?”

“No, I’m not fucking with you,” he said slowly. Reynolds was growing more and more impatient.

“He’s an insane psychopath. Skold will kill anyone that gets in his way just for the pleasure of it.”

“That’s exactly why I hired him. If anyone can figure out what’s going on, it’s him.”

She swore again. Anyone who worked with her knew that she had the worst potty mouth. “I hope you know what you’re doing, Reynolds. Because if not I’m going to nail your ass to the wall and beat you to death with a baseball bat. You’ll be my human pinata.”

“Yes Ivanka.”

“And Reynolds?” Ivanka said more gently, her face softening.

“Get some sleep. Take the day off tomorrow. Someone else can take care of things for one day.”

Funny, he thought. I was just thinking the same thing.

“Good night, Mayor,” he said.

“Good night, Sergeant.”

Reynolds looked both ways he made his way across the street to his car. He was just about to climb into the car when he saw the pale, slim figure standing in the shadows over by the alleyway, leaning casually against the wall. He squinted and reached for his firearm. Then he saw the pale, pale skin, the long silver hair, and the sharp tips at the end of the ears. He closed the door, jingling the car keys in his hands, and walked over to Skold.

“Sergeant?” Skold said. He smiled at Reynolds. It was not his usual sardonic half smiles but a full smile. It made Skold look different.

“You look like your in high spirits tonight. Some more than others.”

“Yes, I suppose I am.”

“How long have you been standing there?”

The elf shrugged. “An hour, does it matter? I needed to speak with you. The necromancer is out of the way for now.”

Reynolds lifted an eyebrow. “For now?”

“Long story. I just mean that’s one less thing to worry about.”

“One less?”

“The necromancer wasn’t working alone. I went underground and found a nest of those abominations I told you about. That’s where all of your missing people have been going. Someone’s been harvesting them.”

Reynold’s fingers traced around his moustache thoughtfully. “Damn it, are you sure?”

“When have you known me to joke around?”

“Good point.”

Skold handed him a manilla envelope. It felt weighty. “I’ve been looking into things via Rebecca. There was a bounty that I took out not that long ago, Marcus Sloan.”

“The attorney?”

Skold shook his head. “He wasn’t your average attorney. He was a fury disguised as a human. Apparently he was using his position to help harvest people that no one would care about. Rejects of society if you will. We found the company he’s been giving them to.”

Reynolds flipped the folder open and looked up wide-eyed. “Atheyx Genetics. That company here in town?”

“Yes. In there is everything that you want to know about them.”

Reynolds whispered, handing out the folder to back in Skold’s direction. “Having a hacker around must be quite useful.”

“Quite so. And that is your’s to give to the mayor. It should be a sufficient update for now.”

Reynolds could have wept with relief; he was tempted to seize the elf in a hug but refrained from doing so. He was not willing to risk his life just to show a little gratitude,

Again Skold smiled and nodded at him. “Good night, Sergeant.”

 

Skold was half way to Candestine’s apartment when Rebecca called him on his cell phone. Needing some fresh air and a nice stroll, Skold decided he needed the walk.

“What, do you need, Rebecca?”

She sounded nervous. “Uh, I know this is a bad time given everything that happened last night, but I have a question for you?”

“What is your question?”

“A friend of Melanie’s, her parents have a ranch that they live in during the summer time...Melanie asked me if I wanted to spend a few days with her at the ranch. You know, just the two of us. I told you that I would ask you first.”

“Why do you feel the need to ask me? I am not your father or your boss.”

Relief crept into her voice with each word. “I don’t know. I just thought that it would be...you know, polite to ask.”

“If that’s what you want to do then do it. It might be a good idea with what we will be doing tomorrow night and your history of getting yourself into trouble. You are a damsel in distress.” He meant it as a joke. Mostly.

She gasped. “I am not. I’m a bad ass chick. And I think I showed that I’m more than capable of handling myself.” And then more doubtfully: “Didn’t I?”

Skold grinned despite himself. “Yes, I suppose you did. Go then. Enjoy yourself. But be careful. Take something to defend yourself with. You’re still wanted, you know?”

Rebecca laughed and then more excitedly: “Melanie, he said I can go! Thank you Skold! Good night!”

Skold smiled the rest of the way home. He didn’t know why, but he was happy for Rebecca.

Dominyc and Candestine were poring intently of the blue prints of the Atheyx building. The building was massive standing over seventy stories tall. There were two security guards on each floor. On the seventy-fifth floor Pyrius and the other furies would be having another meeting. Usually the only met once a month but this was a special meeting. If they were going to find more answers it would be there.

Losing himself in his thoughts, Skold felt ashamed of himself. I should have taken them out then, he thought. Right after I was done with Sloan I should have gone after them. I knew they were up to something and I did nothing.

Skold!

Candestine’s voice shook him from his thoughts.

“What?”

“Will Rebecca be going with us tomorrow night?” She looked impatient. She must have called his name a few times.

Skold glanced between Dom and Candestine feeling even more guilty. “No, she will be leaving town for a few days. After what happened last night I don’t want her coming with us. She needs a break.”

“I agree,” his sister said.

Skold watched as they redirected their attention back to the map and sunk deeper into his own thoughts.

2017 Valentine Davis
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..