Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 3,441 Words
  • 1,852 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Spring - Full Circle Entry

Closing the Circle - 1. Closing the Circle

Elliot made one final adjustment to the engine, then stepped back and momentarily surveyed his work before sliding into the driver’s seat. He turned the ignition and the engine roared to life, settling down almost immediately into a contented purr. “Yes!” He pumped his fist as he jumped out of the car and ran into the shop’s office. “Hey sweetheart, you’ve gotta listen to this!”

Max looked up from the paperwork he was completing. A glob of mayo from his sandwich stuck to his beard. Elliot giggled. “Wipe your chin, babe.”

Max wiped his face with a napkin and followed his fiancé into the car bay. Elliot gestured to the ’52 Chevy with a big grin.

“Hey, you got it started! Great job, babe!” Max enveloped Elliot in a bear hug, spinning him in a circle.

“Easy, tiger! You don’t want me to get motion sick all over you!”

Max laughed and set the smaller man down. He brushed Elliot’s hair back and drew him in for a kiss. Elliot molded himself to Max’s chest, losing himself in the sensations that the man he loved was creating.

They both jumped when they heard a loud throat clearing. “Save some for the honeymoon, gentlemen. Max Simmons and Elliot Conners, I presume?” A fashionably-dressed woman stood before them, holding an attaché case and an expensive purse.

“Yeah, I’m Max and this is my fiancé, Elliot. You must be Ethel Andrews?”

She smiled and nodded. “Andrea got me up to speed. She wanted me to convey her apologies again. She really enjoyed working with you guys.”

“We really liked her too, but we totally understand. I think taking care of herself and the baby is more important than making sure our DJ and caterer show up on time.” Elliot laughed.

“Well, I wanted to review the contracts we have so far and set up a couple of appointments. You both need to be fitted for tuxes and you need to choose a wedding cake. That’s always my favorite appointment,” she said, rubbing her belly. “Where can I set up?”

“In here.” Max led her into the office, while Elliot turned off the Chevy.

“Sorry, I know it’s probably not the most upscale office you’ve been in.” Max pushed all his papers and the rest of his lunch over to a corner of the desk, creating a giant pile.

Ethel gestured dismissively. “It’s not the worst, by far. Trust me, I much prefer working with guys like you than snobby rich people who feel everything should just be handed to them.” She spread out several brochures. “Let’s decide on tuxes first. Any thoughts on what colors/style you’d prefer?”

Elliot raised an eyebrow. “Guys like us?”

“Yeah, down to Earth. Andrea spoke very highly of you guys. If you were uppity, trust me, she wouldn’t have. Now, any thoughts on tux style?” She handed them each a brochure that outlined several different styles of tuxedos.

“I was thinking traditional black with a maroon cummerbund,” Elliot said.

Max frowned. “Don’t I get a say?”

“Hun, if you had your way we’d be getting married in jeans and t-shirts.”

“Nothing wrong with that…” Max muttered.

Elliot placed his hand on Max’s shoulder. “I know you hate wearing suits, so do I. But this is our wedding.” He smiled suggestively. “Besides, you look damn hot in a tux.”

“Listen to your guy, here. He’s got good taste.”

Max smiled. “Yeah, he does.”

“I have contracts for the facility, caterer, and DJ. I just need to know what colors you’ve decided on and we can order flowers. Do you have anything particular in mind?”

“I kind of like navy and maroon. What about you, Max?”

Max shrugged. “You’re the one with the fashion sense. I’m sure whatever you pick will be fine.”

“Ok, navy and maroon it is. Any preferences for type of flowers?”

Max shook his head.

“I’m sure whatever you come up with will be fine. I’d like some lilies thrown in, though.”

Ethel nodded. “Now I don’t see anything here about a limo. Since you’re in the automotive industry, do you have anyone in particular in mind?”

Elliot shook his head as a big grin spread across his face. “I just finished renovating a ’52 Chevy. We want to drive to and from the wedding in it.”

Ethel smiled. “That sounds lovely. I’ll leave you guys with some brochures of bakeries. It’ll give you a starting point for deciding on what type of cake you want. We can set up some appointments for tastings next week.”

She gathered her papers together, placing them in her attaché case and stood. “Here’s my card. If you have any questions or need anything, please don’t hesitate to call.” She shook hands with both men, who rose out of their seats, before walking out of the office.

Max settled back into his chair, looked at the pile of papers in front of them, and exhaled sharply. “I had no idea getting married would be so complicated.”

Elliot stood behind Max, rubbing his shoulders. “That’s why we hired a wedding planner. It’s much easier than keeping track of everything ourselves.”

Max moaned in appreciation of his fiancé’s ministrations. “So the car is finally done, huh?”

Elliot took Max’s hand in his own and tugged him to his feet. “Yeah, c’mon.”

They walked over to the Chevy and Elliot started the engine again. It immediately roared to life. He stood back and Max put his arms around him, pulling him back into his chest.

“I can’t believe it’s finally finished. It took me eight years to restore her.”

“You did a fantastic job, babe. She’s back to her original condition.”

“I can’t think of a better way to get to our wedding. It’s like we came full circle.” Elliot turned around in Max’s arms and lay his head on the larger man’s chest.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, it’s how we met. We would have never gotten together if it hadn’t been for you helping me with my car.” Elliot smiled, remembering the look on Max’s face when he first set eyes on him. Elliot had been on his way to a charity gala, dressed to the nines in a flattering tuxedo, when he stopped at Max’s garage for a part for the Chevy.

“You were the hottest customer to ever set foot in my shop.” He kissed the top of Elliot’s head. “You still are.”

Elliot laughed. “I’m not a customer anymore. I’m part-owner.”

Max hugged Elliot tighter. “I still can’t believe you did that for me. You didn’t know me that well back then.”

“I knew you well enough. I was so sick of the little guy getting screwed over. I couldn’t let it happen to you, Max. I realized the minute I met you that you were special. When I saw you sitting in that meeting room, I felt like I had gotten punched in the stomach. I couldn’t let Pete’s dad win.”

“Well, I’m glad you didn’t.” Elliot was tense in Max’s arms. “Relax, babe.” Max lifted Elliot’s chin and looked into his eyes. “I wouldn’t change a thing; everything that happened brought you to me and that’s worth more than a hundred garages.”

Elliot smiled gratefully. “Thank you. I love you so much, Max. I’m sorry I hurt you, but I’m not sorry for where we are now.”

Max kissed Elliot and pulled him close. Elliot flicked his tongue against Max’s lips and the other man opened up for him. It was several minutes before they pulled apart, gasping for air.

*****

Elliot stood in line at the coffee shop. He was running late, but didn’t have any morning appointments so he figured that Nate could hold down the fort until he arrived. Bribing him with coffee and donuts wouldn’t hurt, either. Nate had proven himself invaluable to Elliot’s law practice, especially after he became engaged to Max. Nate was able to set aside his crush on his boss and was now dating a paralegal from a different firm.

Elliot considered Nate a good friend, even though Max still didn’t care for the blond-haired associate. Elliot knew his fiancé well enough to know that it was mostly bluster. He’d forgiven Nate for coming on to Elliot, even if he would never forget what he did. Not that the burly mechanic would ever admit it.

Hiring a second associate was the best thing Elliot could have done for their relationship. Max had been feeling neglected since Elliot was spending all his time at the firm. Now Elliot was able to work regular hours and even took an extra day off per week to work at the garage with Max. He couldn’t remember life ever being this good.

“What’s that goofy smile for? Thinking about your gorilla?”

Elliot frowned when he heard the contemptuous voice of his ex-boyfriend. “As a matter of fact, I was thinking about my fiancé.”

Pete snorted. “I heard you got engaged. Nice proposal, too. On his knees in handcuffs? Really, El?”

“Fuck you, Pete. I love Max and I’m beyond thrilled we’re getting married.”

“I’m sorry, El. I just can’t help myself sometimes. It’s habit, I guess.”

Elliot raised an eyebrow. Pete never apologized.

“Look, can we sit and talk for a minute?”

“Pete, I’m not going to listen to you badmouth Max. I think we’ve said everything that needs to be said.”

“Maybe you have, but I haven’t. Please, El?” Pete actually looked sincere.

Elliot nodded reluctantly. “Fine. Though the minute you say something shitty, I’m leaving.”

“Fair enough.” Pete sat at a table while Elliot placed and paid for his order.

Elliot slid into the seat across from Pete and sipped his coffee. “So, what did you want to say?”

“I’m sorry I’ve been such an ass and I’m sorry things ended the way they did between us.”

Elliot raised his eyebrows. Was he kidding? Pete was the one who dumped Elliot after he quit his job at his father’s firm.

“I know…I know… I was the one who broke it off.” He paused, looking Elliot in the eyes. “It had to happen, El, but I could have gone about it better.”

“You’re right…on both counts.”

Pete nodded. “I’m glad you’re happy, even if it is with that gorilla.”

Elliot slid his chair back and started to stand.

“Wait! I’m sorry! Sit down, please. I’m sure Max is a great guy. I don’t see the appeal, but obviously you do.”

Elliot sat back down and looked at Pete dubiously. “Max is a great guy. He makes me very happy.”

“I can see that. I have news of my own. I’ve met someone.” A broad smile spread across Pete’s face. “He’s amazing. He works in finance, too. He moved in a couple of months ago and we just bought a new summer place.”

“That’s great, Pete. I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks. Henry’s really opened my eyes to my behavior. I’m a better person since I met him. Dad even likes him, although he’d never actually say that.”

Elliot’s phone buzzed, indicating a text message. “I gotta go, Pete.” He stood up and extended his hand. “I’m glad you’ve found someone who makes you happy.”

“Hang on, there’s something you need to know.” Pete paused and fiddled with his cup. “I shouldn’t be telling you this, and you didn’t hear it from me, but my dad is going after your license. He plans on bringing you in front of the bar for what you did to win Max’s case. You made him look like a fool and he’s never forgotten it. Watch out, El. He’s out for revenge.”

Elliot looked at Pete, stunned that he would go behind his father’s back. “Thanks for letting me know. Goodbye, Pete.” He walked out of the coffee shop, reeling from the news.

*****

Elliot was in the kitchen cooking dinner when the doorbell rang. “Can you get that, hun? My hands are covered in ground beef.”

“Yeah, I got it.” There was a pause, followed by, “It’s for you.”

Elliot washed his hands and walked to the front door. A man in a suit stood holding a manila envelope. “Elliot Conners?”

“Yeah, that’s me.”

“You’ve been served.” The man handed him the envelope and walked away.

Elliot frowned and opened the envelope. Usually he was served at work, not home. His face turned white as he skimmed the document and he stumbled to the living room, sitting heavily on the couch. He thought he was prepared after Pete’s warning, but seeing it in print was still shocking.

Elliot’s former employer was alleging that he broke attorney-client privilege when he helped Max win the lawsuit the Sellers’ firm had brought against him by trying to take the property the garage was on. He was moving to have Elliot disbarred.

Max sat next to his fiancé and squeezed his shoulder. “What is it, sweetheart?”

“My former boss is trying to get me disbarred. He’s alleging I broke privilege when I helped you win your case.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me! Why the hell would the asshole do that? It’s been over three years! Why now?”

“Pete said he’s never gotten over losing your case. The fucker really hates losing.”

“When did Pete tell you that?”

“I ran into him this morning when I was getting my coffee. It slipped my mind.”

“How could something like that slip your mind?”

“I’m pretty busy at work. I guess I’m just used to tuning out whatever that asshole does now.” Elliot turned to Max and put his arms around him. “I love being a lawyer, Max. What am I going to do if I lose?”

“You won’t lose, babe. You did nothing wrong.”

Elliot nodded. “I know.”

“Why don’t you put dinner away and we’ll go out to eat?”

“How about we order in?” Elliot ran his hand down Max’s chest.

Max grinned. “I like that idea even better.”

*****

Nate had a friend who had faced disbarment several years prior, so he recommended that Elliot meet with him for advice. Elliot ended up hiring him as his attorney, and after reviewing all the records they were ready for the proceedings to start the following month.

Elliot was a nervous wreck as he paced outside the room. Max put his arm around his shoulders and drew him into a hug. “It’ll be all right, babe.”

Elliot exhaled sharply. “I hope so. I don’t want to lose my license.”

After he was called to appear, Elliot gave Max a quick kiss before entering the room with his lawyer. He was a nervous wreck. Elliot had never imagined he’d ever face a panel from the Bar Association on ethical charges.

The panel of judges scrutinized every detail of Max’s case from three years prior - Sellers vs Simmons --and questioned both Mark Sellers – his former boss – and Elliot about his involvement. They asked Elliot about his relationship with Max - how they met, when they met, and when their relationship started.

Max was called into the courtroom and asked the same questions. He provided the same answers that Elliot had given.

“Why did you put the garage up for sale, since you won the case?” one of the judges asked.

“I couldn’t pay the legal fees. Ironic, huh?”

“Did you ask Mr. Conners to purchase it on your behalf?” a different judge asked.

“No. Absolutely not. I hadn’t talked to him since I saw him walk into that lawyer’s office.”

“Then why did he?”

“Objection! Calls for speculation.” Elliot’s lawyer stood up.

“I’ll re-phrase. Did Mr. Conners tell you why he purchased your garage?”

“He told me that it was about time the ‘little guy’ won. And that his father used to own a garage so he’d always wanted one.”

“Are there any further questions for Mr. Simmons?”

The rest of the panel shook their heads.

“All right. We will now discuss this matter and let you know our decision. Court is in hearing.”

They exited the room and Elliot spent the next three hours either pacing the hallway, seated on a bench in Max’s arms, or playing mindless games on his phone.

When the case was recalled, Max pulled Elliot to him and kissed him. “Whatever the decision is…I love you, El. We’ll get through it.”

Elliot nodded. “I love you too, Max. Fingers crossed.” He held up his entwined fingers before re-entering the room.

The judge sitting in the middle of the panel spoke. “We’ve reviewed all the documents presented to us and discussed the testimony provided today. Although Mr. Conners’ behavior certainly skirted the line, we find no evidence of an ethical breach. Mr. Conners, the rules dictate that we avoid even the appearance of impropriety. I suggest you keep that in mind in the future. We are adjourned.”

Elliot embraced Max, tears streaming down his face, as a scowling Mark Sellers exited the room.

*****

Elliot held his father’s hand as his brother pushed the wheelchair down the makeshift aisle. Maneuvering the wheelchair across the grass was difficult, but worth it. The old man had tears in his eyes. He never thought he’d see the day when his son could get married. Elliot had tears of his own streaming down his cheeks. He had been so worried that his father wouldn’t make it to the wedding after he had his stroke. Even though his speech was difficult to understand now, Elliot knew how much being here meant to his old man.

When they reached the end of the aisle, Elliot stopped and kissed his father’s cheek. “I love you, Dad,” he whispered.

The old man clenched his hand tightly before letting go. Elliot walked a few steps to where Max waited. He stood in front of a pond, surrounded by the beautifully manicured gardens of the local botanical society. The burly man also had tears running down his cheeks. Elliot’s breath hitched as he beheld the sight of his soon-to-be husband in his tux. He smiled as he took Max’s hands, entwining their fingers.

The judge began the ceremony. “Ladies and gentlemen, we are gathered here today to witness the joining of these two men…”

Elliot barely heard the justice of the peace as he recited the readings he and Max had selected. Elliot’s brother did a reading also, as did Max’s sister. Elliot had been afraid that he would forget the vows he had written, but he needn’t have worried. He took a deep breath, squeezed Max’s hands and began.

“I had no idea what was missing from my life, until I met you. You’ve shown me how to be a better person, a better man, and a better partner. You gave me the courage to quit a job that was making me miserable and start in a completely new direction. I’ve never been happier in my life and it’s all due to you, Max. I pledge my heart and soul to you for now and always. I vow to always be there for you, no matter what. And when things get tough – since we know neither one of us is perfect – I promise to keep an open mind and work through it with you. I love you, Max Simmons, with all my heart and I vow to be the best husband I possibly can be.”

Tears were streaming down both their faces and Elliot’s hand shook as he placed the ring they selected together on Max’s hand.

“I’m not real good at expressing myself and you said it better than I ever could. I love you, Elliot. I vow to take care of you each and every day, through sickness and in health, and whatever else life decides to throw at us. You are my everything and I don’t want that to ever change. You’re stuck with me now, babe.”

Everyone laughed as Max placed the ring on Elliot’s finger. Neither one of them heard anything after “You may now kiss your husband.” Max’s kiss drew catcalls and cheers from the crowd, and both men were flushed when they finally parted.

The justice of the peace lifted both their hands and declared them husbands. Max and Elliot ran down the aisle to cheers and applause. After the whirlwind of the receiving line and an hour of having their pictures taken with every possible family and friend combination, Max settled into the passenger side of Elliot’s ’52 Chevy. He took his husband’s hand as Elliot drove to the reception hall, the ‘Just Married’ sign flapping in the wake left by the old car.

Thanks for reading the final installment of Max and Elliot's story! Please leave a 'like' or better yet, a review and let me know how you liked the wedding. I need to extend a huge 'thank you' to Cole for helping me get all the legalese right and to Lisa for her awesome editing skills. :)
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Spring - Full Circle Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yes, Elliot and Max finally got married. Pete shows signs he is growing to be something more than an idiot controlled by his father and his father lost his chance to hurt Elliot. Nicely done, Val. Great end to set of wonderful stories. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

:heart: Awesome ! And what a surprise: even Peter is redeemable. :blink:

I'm glad Nate found somebody to date, and it was probably a good idea to let it be someone outside the office. And Elliot has learnt his lesson about not ignoring his man.

I'm happy with where we leave them, but I'm not adverse to a small revisit, lol. Maybe a prompt or something will inspire you. But Max and Elliot will always be favorites of mine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Read all 4 chapters - great story. I'm glad it's a happy ending :2thumbs: the only thing the wedding didn't have was a cat in a tux lol

 

Can we have Petes story for next prompt ?? ^_^:yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/14/2015 01:34 PM, comicfan said:
Yes, Elliot and Max finally got married. Pete shows signs he is growing to be something more than an idiot controlled by his father and his father lost his chance to hurt Elliot. Nicely done, Val. Great end to set of wonderful stories. :)
Thanks, Wayne. I'm glad you liked it! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/14/2015 08:18 PM, Timothy M. said:
:heart: Awesome ! And what a surprise: even Peter is redeemable. :blink:

I'm glad Nate found somebody to date, and it was probably a good idea to let it be someone outside the office. And Elliot has learnt his lesson about not ignoring his man.

I'm happy with where we leave them, but I'm not adverse to a small revisit, lol. Maybe a prompt or something will inspire you. But Max and Elliot will always be favorites of mine.

Yeah, who'd have thought that Pete had any redeeming qualities? It surprised me when I wrote it...lol You never know where the prompts or anthologies may take me. Maybe we'll see these guys again at some point, but for now I'd like to explore some other ideas for the antho themes. Thanks for reading and reviewing and I'm glad you like these guys so much:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/14/2015 09:08 PM, Slytherin said:
Read all 4 chapters - great story. I'm glad it's a happy ending :2thumbs: the only thing the wedding didn't have was a cat in a tux lol

 

Can we have Petes story for next prompt ?? ^_^:yes:

I don't think Penguin knows these guys... LOL Hmmm...telling Pete's story...great idea, LBO! I would have never thought of that. I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks for reading! :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love Max and Elliott and so glad they made it through. What I adore about this story is how they made each other better. It seems so simple, yet it's not. That's what love can do, makes a duo better than two singles. Wonderful job Val! Elegant. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/16/2015 02:24 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I love Max and Elliott and so glad they made it through. What I adore about this story is how they made each other better. It seems so simple, yet it's not. That's what love can do, makes a duo better than two singles. Wonderful job Val! Elegant. :)
Thanks so much, Cole. I really appreciate the kind words. The story is better thanks to your input. :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

*sigh* Now I've got more stories to read, so I can get the history on these two lovely characters....

 

Thank you! :worship: A wonderful little tale.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/16/2015 07:38 PM, Graeme said:
*sigh* Now I've got more stories to read, so I can get the history on these two lovely characters....

 

Thank you! :worship: A wonderful little tale.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Graeme. :) Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to review. I hope you enjoy Max and Elliot's other stories, too. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I loved reading about Elliot and Max's story! I'm so glad they're getting married and Pete's asshole father didn't get away with having Elliot disbarred.

 

This was a great ending to a great series, Val! :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/18/2015 04:58 AM, Lisa said:
I loved reading about Elliot and Max's story! I'm so glad they're getting married and Pete's asshole father didn't get away with having Elliot disbarred.

 

This was a great ending to a great series, Val! :)

Thanks so much, Lisa! :) I'm glad you enjoyed reading about these guys and thank you for your input. :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a perfect ending to the four installments. It was nice to revisit these two characters. I realized after the first one that I had already read the first two... it was nice to read the four in succession. A very feel good experience...Cheers...Gary

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/19/2015 06:29 AM, Headstall said:
What a perfect ending to the four installments. It was nice to revisit these two characters. I realized after the first one that I had already read the first two... it was nice to read the four in succession. A very feel good experience...Cheers...Gary
Ok, ignore my comment in the other review about reading them out of order, then! lol Thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed all the stories. I appreciate all the reviews. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Okay, this is the ending. I haven't added on my fingers since 2nd grade, but isn't one missing? Didn't someone say there are four?
I could happily spend all day here...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2016 05:37 AM, Geron Kees said:

Okay, this is the ending. I haven't added on my fingers since 2nd grade, but isn't one missing? Didn't someone say there are four?

I could happily spend all day here...

Awww...you made my day with your reviews of these guys. Yes, you missed Proximate Cause, the third installment. :) I'm glad you like them so much. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..